hibs.net Messageboard

Results 1 to 29 of 29
  1. #1
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,260

    French Open Tennis 2018

    I like the tennis even without Andy but I can't see the ball against the red clay background. I end up having to guess who won the point! Frustrating!


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,260
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I like the tennis even without Andy but I can't see the ball against the red clay background. I end up having to guess who won the point! Frustrating!
    I just turned the colour down. Sorted.

    Thanks for support!

  4. #3
    haha.

    I love the french open - against the grain I'm sure but it's possibly my favourite and the one I've always thought I'd like to go to! It helps of course that my favourite player tends to win when he plays at Roland Garros.

    On the women's side (which I follow fairly closely) I'm hoping Halep can get her first slam.

    Now if only I wasn't working

  5. #4
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,260
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    haha.

    I love the french open - against the grain I'm sure but it's possibly my favourite and the one I've always thought I'd like to go to! It helps of course that my favourite player tends to win when he plays at Roland Garros.

    On the women's side (which I follow fairly closely) I'm hoping Halep can get her first slam.

    Now if only I wasn't working
    I like it too. It seems more laid back in those huge arenas. Similar to the US Open. There's a lot of moving about in the crowd. No effing royal box either.

  6. #5
    Virgin media have a 4k feed from eurosport at the french open. Press the red button when watching one of the eurosport channels.

  7. #6
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,189
    I've just watched one of the best matches of the season so far.

    Stunning result just in from Roland Garros.

    Marco Cecchinato, who has never won a match at a Grand Slam before this tournament, has just beaten Novak Djokovic in 4 sets to reach the French Open semi finals.

    I like my tennis and I like to think I have a decent knowledge of players who may be respectfully described as "fringe" but I can honestly say that I have never heard of Marco Cecchinato before this tournament.

    The final set tie break was incredible.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  8. #7
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,260
    I do hope Andy Murray gives Wimbledon a miss. Anything less than 100% fitness and he'll let himself down.

  9. #8
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I do hope Andy Murray gives Wimbledon a miss. Anything less than 100% fitness and he'll let himself down.
    I have a feeling it might be his last slam. Maybe just feels he'll give it a go and ultimately confirm that he's finished at this level.

  10. #9
    I don't even know why they bother playing the men's draw these days. Just give it to Nadal and everyone could go on holiday.

    So boring.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

  11. #10
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,260
    Quote Originally Posted by YanYansen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't even know why they bother playing the men's draw these days. Just give it to Nadal and everyone could go on holiday.

    So boring.


    Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    There certainly doesn't seem to be anyone exciting coming up the ranks. Maybe Wimbledon will unearth a genius.

    He'd have to go a bit to match Rafa or Federer.

  12. #11
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,189
    Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There certainly doesn't seem to be anyone exciting coming up the ranks. Maybe Wimbledon will unearth a genius.

    He'd have to go a bit to match Rafa or Federer.
    It will be a very long time before anyone comes close to Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. These are two of the all time greats in the sport, Federer is probably the greatest tennis player ever.

    I can't see anyone dominating men's tennis like the way he did from about 2004 to 2008 and have the longevity that he's had too.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  13. #12
    Coaching Staff heretoday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Corstorphine
    Posts
    10,260
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It will be a very long time before anyone comes close to Rafael Nadal and Roger Federer. These are two of the all time greats in the sport, Federer is probably the greatest tennis player ever.

    I can't see anyone dominating men's tennis like the way he did from about 2004 to 2008 and have the longevity that he's had too.
    I remember meeting a tennis coach at a party couple of years back and he said Federer played the perfect text-book tennis. No flaws.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Location
    Penicuik
    Age
    42
    Posts
    29,545
    Simona Halep wins her first major , Delighted for her !

  15. #14
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Simona Halep wins her first major , Delighted for her !
    Same. Great to see, and well deserved.

  16. #15
    I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    33,189
    The King of Clay continues his reign over Roland Garros for at least another 12 months beating Dominic Thiem 6-4 6-3 6-2.

    That's French Open title number 11 for Nadal, who still only has 2 defeats at the tournament since his debut 13 years ago.

    The stats are staggering.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

    21.05.2016

  17. #16
    Coaching Staff JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    25,052
    Do find Nadal dominance on clay boring not buying he is so much better or so much stronger without help.

  18. #17
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do find Nadal dominance on clay boring not buying he is so much better or so much stronger without help.
    Federer dominated the sport on all other surfaces in a similar manner. Would you accuse him of being a drugs cheat?

    Some people are simply exceptional sports people. Nadal is certainly one of these. And I hope he wins more.

  19. #18
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Federer dominated the sport on all other surfaces in a similar manner. Would you accuse him of being a drugs cheat?

    Some people are simply exceptional sports people. Nadal is certainly one of these. And I hope he wins more.
    Nadal and Djokovic are both suspect , They both manage to play full belt for 5 and 6 hours a time then come back fresh as a daisy next day and play another 5 hours . Anytime Federers been taken for a long match he looks tired and gets beat in his next game - olympic final being a good example

  20. #19
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nadal and Djokovic are both suspect , They both manage to play full belt for 5 and 6 hours a time then come back fresh as a daisy next day and play another 5 hours . Anytime Federers been taken for a long match he looks tired and gets beat in his next game - olympic final being a good example
    I don't think that's ever happened for either player. But I take your point that they both appear to be incredibly fit, which they are. I don't however take your example of Federer being beaten in the olympics a reason to suspect Djokovic and Nadal are cheats, while Federer isn't.

    All 3 are remarkable sports athletes.

  21. #20
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think that's ever happened for either player. But I take your point that they both appear to be incredibly fit, which they are. I don't however take your example of Federer being beaten in the olympics a reason to suspect Djokovic and Nadal are cheats, while Federer isn't.

    All 3 are remarkable sports athletes.
    It did , Aussie open2012 . Djoko beat Murray in a 5 hour semi final , over 2 days , it was relentless long rallies , Then he came back next day and played the longest grand slam final in history 6 hours against Nadal . Thats definitly suspect

  22. #21
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It did , Aussie open2012 . Djoko beat Murray in a 5 hour semi final , over 2 days , it was relentless long rallies , Then he came back next day and played the longest grand slam final in history 6 hours against Nadal . Thats definitly suspect
    Nit-picking I know.. but when you say "over 2 days" you mean the clock passed midnight before they finished? That was on the Friday night, he then "came back the next day" (Sunday). He still had over a day's rest before the final as is usual practice at every slam. Doesn't take away the point you're making re the remarkable endurance (or in your opinion.. suspect behaviour) but just arguing my case that I still don't think either have played 5-6 hour matches on consecutive days

    I still don't see that he should be accused of cheating because of an outstanding achievement. Where is the cut-off in performance when we stop calling someone brilliant and start accusing them of wrongdoing?

    I'll find it suspect when he fails a drugs test.

  23. #22
    Coaching Staff JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    25,052
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Nit-picking I know.. but when you say "over 2 days" you mean the clock passed midnight before they finished? That was on the Friday night, he then "came back the next day" (Sunday). He still had over a day's rest before the final as is usual practice at every slam. Doesn't take away the point you're making re the remarkable endurance (or in your opinion.. suspect behaviour) but just arguing my case that I still don't think either have played 5-6 hour matches on consecutive days

    I still don't see that he should be accused of cheating because of an outstanding achievement. Where is the cut-off in performance when we stop calling someone brilliant and start accusing them of wrongdoing?

    I'll find it suspect when he fails a drugs test.
    Tennis is one of the worst sports for drug testing. A few players have queried both players amazing endurance. Djokovic could barely finish a 3 set games back in the day then suddenly was amazingly durable able to play for hours and hours at an amazing level.

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tennis is one of the worst sports for drug testing. A few players have queried both players amazing endurance. Djokovic could barely finish a 3 set games back in the day then suddenly was amazingly durable able to play for hours and hours at an amazing level.
    Totally. Then all of a sudden he isn't able to anymore. Roughly about the same time as the Sharapova fiasco. I'm sure he's a drugs cheat! Nadal I'm not so convinced about. Just think he's a freak when it comes to talent and determination.

  25. #24
    Andy Murray reached new levels as well and was remarkably fit during his rise to number one.

    Would we suspect him of any wrongdoing?

  26. #25
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andy Murray reached new levels as well and was remarkably fit during his rise to number one.

    Would we suspect him of any wrongdoing?
    Andy Murray has always had an engine on him and his levels of fitness have been consistent.

    Djokovic often struggled in long 3 set matches never mind the absolute beast he turned into. Shady if you ask me. Look at his form over the last year or so as well after Sharapova. Might just be a coincidence but I personally don't think so.

  27. #26
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andy Murray reached new levels as well and was remarkably fit during his rise to number one.

    Would we suspect him of any wrongdoing?
    Frankly and it pains me to say it, quite possibly. The refrain of practically every doper ends up being they had to go with the herd if they wanted to be able to compete. It's getting on for impossible for anyone to compete meaningfully with dopers without giving in and doping themselves.

    Even with the best drug testing in the world (which tennis certainly doesn't have) it's almost impossible to detect micro-dosed EPO, testosterone etc. especially when used in out of competition training blocks.

    Btw, I'd also be amazed if PED use isn't widespread at the top level of football as well. Look at the pace a Clasico keeps up for 90 mins, it's pretty damn remarkable!

  28. #27
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnM1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Andy Murray has always had an engine on him and his levels of fitness have been consistent.

    Djokovic often struggled in long 3 set matches never mind the absolute beast he turned into. Shady if you ask me. Look at his form over the last year or so as well after Sharapova. Might just be a coincidence but I personally don't think so.
    The transformation in Djokovic in such a short time has dead giveaway written all over it. "Gluten free diet".

  29. #28
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Frankly and it pains me to say it, quite possibly. The refrain of practically every doper ends up being they had to go with the herd if they wanted to be able to compete. It's getting on for impossible for anyone to compete meaningfully with dopers without giving in and doping themselves.

    Even with the best drug testing in the world (which tennis certainly doesn't have) it's almost impossible to detect micro-dosed EPO, testosterone etc. especially when used in out of competition training blocks.

    Btw, I'd also be amazed if PED use isn't widespread at the top level of football as well. Look at the pace a Clasico keeps up for 90 mins, it's pretty damn remarkable!
    You're certainly more clued-up than me on drug-testing (and that wasn't intended as an accusation ).

    Granted I may be a little biased.. especially where Rafa is involved

  30. #29
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You're certainly more clued-up than me on drug-testing (and that wasn't intended as an accusation ).

    Granted I may be a little biased.. especially where Rafa is involved
    It's all very murky but do any reading on it and you'll quickly lose faith in what you're seeing in professional sport, that's for sure.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved