hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    i am 100% until proved wrong, because it felt so bad at the time, & all the Auld boys at ER thereafter were having kittens, that the very 1st, cos even tho I was still young then, but the 1st to say “my team & every other team are not ever going to win the league again” was the adored on here “lexo” I was young, naive, shocked & disgusted to hear that about my team from our alleged “manager”!!! Prove me wrong, absolutely anybody! I hated having to read that negative crap every week about Hibs when I was young! But he was the very 1st outwith the 2 cheeks to throw in the towel himself, even tho the fans were naewhere near. As I said earlier, anyone, anywhere, prove to me that this websites beloved lexo was not 1st in Scotland to come out with that tripe! It was so effin radical, in so many wrong effin ways, but as usual the media at the time loved it! Less than nae time for mogadon & his defenders.
    Edit 1st to say nobody in Scotland except the then Auld squirm will ever win the league again because they are so far ahead on finances & everything else! I totally & utterly detest the man for doing that to me as a young Hibby. & he was the 1st Scottish manager to do so. Defend that!
    :

I think you agree with me.

I start every season thinking we could win everything.
    Some seasons my optimism dissipates faster than others :-)

I'll be hoping we win the league .
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Henry Miller?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Ach, us simpletons need mair clues than that!

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Why, less than full wit, would I be trying to get over mogadon having recently witnessed Leicester? If you were anywhere near entertaining maybe I would want to get over you, but your a bit of an irrelevance, so as I’m in transit & bored, get over the 1st person in Scottish fitba, as a manager of a big club, in the 70’s, when a very big proportion of the support had not only been witness to the Famous 5 & early Euro thrillers, but a large proportion of that support, had been in & around the 2nd World war & I recall as a youngster on the terraces the absolute disbelief when yer “lexo” said Hibs would never again win the league because the gulf to the 2 cheeks had became too big. 1st Scottish manager to do so! Manager of Hibs! Prove me wrong, please.
    Please translate?

As a factual aside, a large majority of the support had also watched relegation under Turnbull, then the torpor of the Auld, Stanton and Blackley eras. As it turned out, the Mogadonmeister was totally correct. He talked sense.

Reality is that the only way anyone outside of the OF will win the League again is if those two ****ers **** off to England or some tinpot European League.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Ach, us simpletons need mair clues than that!
    I was trying to guess who you were. Your writing style reminded me of old Henry.

Why, less than full wit, would I be trying to get over mogadon having recently witnessed Leicester? If you were anywhere near entertaining maybe I would want to get over you, but your a bit of an irrelevance, so as I’m in transit & bored, get over the 1st person in Scottish fitba, as a manager of a big club, in the 70’s, when a very big proportion of the support had not only been witness to the Famous 5 & early Euro thrillers, but a large proportion of that support, had been in & around the 2nd World war & I recall as a youngster on the terraces the absolute disbelief when yer “lexo” said Hibs would never again win the league because the gulf to the 2 cheeks had became too big. 1st Scottish manager to do so! Manager of Hibs! Prove me wrong, please.
    Lexo had a few great attacking teams when O'Neill was on one wing and Crunchie on the other if you were five minutes late you often missed a goal. Add Wright Weir Gareth McGinley and Jackson and Lexo had a few great for teams. He was also a nightmare on occasion but anyone making out it was all bad is trying to rewrite history.

Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    :

I think you agree with me.

I start every season thinking we could win everything.
    Some seasons my optimism dissipates faster than others :-)

I'll be hoping we win the league .
    That is MY language, except mibbes no exactly my language, but hell, Leicester, why no us?

Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    He was also a nightmare on occasion ...

Yeah, but the occasions would last three or four seasons. That's not rewriting history.

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Please translate?

As a factual aside, a large majority of the support had also watched relegation under Turnbull, then the torpor of the Auld, Stanton and Blackley eras. As it turned out, the Mogadonmeister was totally correct. He talked sense.

Reality is that the only way anyone outside of the OF will win the League again is if those two ****ers **** off to England or some tinpot European League.
    It was A TOTAL shocker to hear mogadon throw in the towel before things got towards end of season, shocker & pretty disgusting for young Hibbys like me & also all the Auld boys who knew they had maybe 5/10 mair seasons max, but to hear yer manager say we are never winning in future is effing disheartening, but yer deflecting context here, nae other Scottish manager woulda done it or did do it then, only unfortunate Hibs wi a defend merchant were saying in the 70s pay for yer season tix, gie us yer money, but the mgr says we’ll never be ultimately winning! I really did not need that as a kid, but to see 2/3 generations above me, having to witness that, address it if you can, the ONLY club at the time “we will never win the league again against the 2 weedge,” it upset me but I had to witness it upsetting Auld Hibbys who knew they werenae with us much longer. Maybe your indifferent tae that. Mogadon is down there for me! Nae need,

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    It was A TOTAL shocker to hear mogadon throw in the towel before things got towards end of season, shocker & pretty disgusting for young Hibbys like me & also all the Auld boys who knew they had maybe 5/10 mair seasons max, but to hear yer manager say we are never winning in future is effing disheartening, but yer deflecting context here, nae other Scottish manager woulda done it or did do it then, only unfortunate Hibs wi a defend merchant were saying in the 70s pay for yer season tix, gie us yer money, but the mgr says we’ll never be ultimately winning! I really did not need that as a kid, but to see 2/3 generations above me, having to witness that, address it if you can, the ONLY club at the time “we will never win the league again against the 2 weedge,” it upset me but I had to witness it upsetting Auld Hibbys who knew they werenae with us much longer. Maybe your indifferent tae that. Mogadon is down there for me! Nae need,
    Your are only two years younger than me so you were around 23 when Miller was appointed, not 8. My own footballing reality check came a bit earlier than that, probably around March 1980 when the prospect of imminent relegation set in, along with the fact that I wasn’t going to be the next Pat Stanton. It was tough, but I moved on.

Quote Originally Posted by Newcastlehibby View Post
    He did not say that at all. What he actually said was - Asked if Kilmarnock could challenge, he said: "I would like to think so. We have to be modest. It would be great if we could do it next year."

And later - "We need to stay modest," he said. "The other teams out there have got to up the ante and raise their game. It will be very competitive next year but, ideally, we'll finish top six.

Have you ever thought about being a journalist for the DR?

The headline says Billie Bowie to mount Premiership challenge, being modest or not he still thinks they have a chance and he thinks they could do it next year. Your quote above says exactly that, I didn't make any thing up, my post says Killie chairman thinks they can challenge for the title, pretty much what you've just posted yourself.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    Is this an order?
    It's his new single "Kilmarnock", the follow up to Sandstorm

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: maxsharktooth
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Henry Miller?

Flann O'Brien I thought....

First Team Regular Basildon Hibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kato View Post
    They'll be taking points off the OF. The more teams doing that the better.
    I wish there was a bloody 'like' button on this site !!

Petrie, get it sorted ...

Testimonial Due
    I don’t see the problem with this. Do you think Neil Lennon is lying in his bed at night thinking second place would be great?

Slightly delusional I know, but just say we could keep most of last season’s team together . . . . . Slivka, Swanson and Whittaker hit top form too . . . . . . Shaw and Porteus make the step up . . . . . suddenly 6 months form becomes a season’s form . . . . . . . Celtic lose Rodgers to the EPL and an experimental manager comes in and fluffs up his first season . . . . Rangers’ Gerrard experiment goes wrong . . . . . . . . Aberdeen run out of money due to spending on their proposed stadium . . . . . .. oh look, who’s that coming up unnoticed on the side rails . . . . . . it’s 30 goals a season Flo Kamberi . . . . . . .So we square up, casual like. What does Levein the hard **** do? Or the so-called hard ****? Sh!'!tes it. Puts down his drink, turns, and gets the **** out of there. And after that? Well, the league was ours.

Quote Originally Posted by cocteautwin View Post
    I don’t see the problem with this. Do you think Neil Lennon is lying in his bed at night thinking second place would be great?

Slightly delusional I know, but just say we could keep most of last season’s team together . . . . . Slivka, Swanson and Whittaker hit top form too . . . . . . Shaw and Porteus make the step up . . . . . suddenly 6 months form becomes a season’s form . . . . . . . Celtic lose Rodgers to the EPL and an experimental manager comes in and fluffs up his first season . . . . Rangers’ Gerrard experiment goes wrong . . . . . . . . Aberdeen run out of money due to spending on their proposed stadium . . . . . .. oh look, who’s that coming up unnoticed on the side rails . . . . . . it’s 30 goals a season Flo Kamberi . . . . . . .So we square up, casual like. What does Levein the hard **** do? Or the so-called hard ****? Sh!'!tes it. Puts down his drink, turns, and gets the **** out of there. And after that? Well, the league was ours.
    Thanks Begbie!!

Actually he did, at the start of the season he said we're the 2nd best team in the league and his outburst after the Hearts game showed he was aiming for 2nd, he's being realistic and not saying winning the league, I'm happy getting 2nd and hopefully closing the gap, Celtic are still top dogs but they're beatable.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5

Why not? I'm in.

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    i am 100% until proved wrong, because it felt so bad at the time, & all the Auld boys at ER thereafter were having kittens, that the very 1st, cos even tho I was still young then, but the 1st to say “my team & every other team are not ever going to win the league again” was the adored on here “lexo” I was young, naive, shocked & disgusted to hear that about my team from our alleged “manager”!!! Prove me wrong, absolutely anybody! I hated having to read that negative crap every week about Hibs when I was young! But he was the very 1st outwith the 2 cheeks to throw in the towel himself, even tho the fans were naewhere near. As I said earlier, anyone, anywhere, prove to me that this websites beloved lexo was not 1st in Scotland to come out with that tripe! It was so effin radical, in so many wrong effin ways, but as usual the media at the time loved it! Less than nae time for mogadon & his defenders.
    Edit 1st to say nobody in Scotland except the then Auld squirm will ever win the league again because they are so far ahead on finances & everything else! I totally & utterly detest the man for doing that to me as a young Hibby. & he was the 1st Scottish manager to do so. Defend that!
    Put the crack pipe doon man 😂
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    Actually he did, at the start of the season he said we're the 2nd best team in the league and his outburst after the Hearts game showed he was aiming for 2nd, he's being realistic and not saying winning the league, I'm happy getting 2nd and hopefully closing the gap, Celtic are still top dogs but they're beatable.
    Lennon also said not that long ago that he wants to go further than second, do a Leicester and challenge for the league.

Tbh I don’t care if you support Real Madrid or Stirling Albion. If, as a fan, you don’t go into every season thinking there’s an outside chance of wining everything there is to win then what’s the point?

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Lennon also said not that long ago that he wants to go further than second, do a Leicester and challenge for the league.

Tbh I don’t care if you support Real Madrid or Stirling Albion. If, as a fan, you don’t go into every season thinking there’s an outside chance of wining everything there is to win then what’s the point?

I agree to a point but there's always that realism that in all probability top 4 is going to be more achievable and add in a couple of good cup runs with a wee chance of winning one.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    The closest we've ever come to winning the league since the old First Division became the Premier League in 1975, was that first 1975-76 season - we finished 3rd, 11 points off the top (only two points for a win though).

Neil Lennon just took us to our second best finish in that regard, 15 points off the Champions, in 4th place.

3rd best? Lexo 1994-95 we finished 3rd, 16 points off Rangers, and lost as few games (7) as them. That was a brilliant team. We also beat Hearts three times that season, the first one ending 22 in a row. I don't think any other manager has done that in my lifetime (obviously doesn't excuse the 22 in a row).

Give me that any day from the 'other clubs' as opposed to coming out and accepting it's the old firm top 2 and then the rest of us should be happy with a wee cup run or finishing top 6.

Even if it willnae happen

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I agree to a point but there's always that realism that in all probability top 4 is going to be more achievable and add in a couple of good cup runs with a wee chance of winning one.

You’re making too much of this.

The guy did not predict Killie will win the league next season, but did outline his ambitions to grow the club and become more of a force in Scottish football.

All good in my view.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Give me that any day from the 'other clubs' as opposed to coming out and accepting it's the old firm top 2 and then the rest of us should be happy with a wee cup run or finishing top 6.

I'm not sure where I stand on the pragmatism versus hope debate.

It's an attractive idea to think that every team should set out with the aim of winning the league.

However, does anyone at all think that Livingston, Hamilton or St Mirren have any chance at all of being top of the pile by next May? What about Huddersfield, Watford or Bournemouth for the EPL?

I certainly don't, but I wouldn't say that my view was defeated the or negative.

Sure, Leicester defied the odds, but I doubt their fans started the season with any ambition to win the league.

Ally McLeod whipped the nation into a hugely optimistic and confident frenzy about our chances of winning the World Cup in 1978. I can still feel the disappointment of being knocked out at the group stage. And the crushing embarrassment.

Jock Stein came in and told us the truth, that we had to reign back our expectations because we weren't going to be good enough win the WC any time soon. We still have hope, but it's not delusional anymore.

Which approach was more irresponsible?

Miller took Stein's approach and told the fans what they didn't want to hear. But let's face it, if Turnbull's team, the memory of which was still fresh in our minds, couldn't win the league, how could a lesser group of players?

Realism and hope are not mutually exclusive.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I'm not sure where I stand on the pragmatism versus hope debate.

It's an attractive idea to think that every team should set out with the aim of winning the league.

However, does anyone at all think that Livingston, Hamilton or St Mirren have any chance at all of being top of the pile by next May? What about Huddersfield, Watford or Bournemouth for the EPL?

I certainly don't, but I wouldn't say that my view was defeated the or negative.

Sure, Leicester defied the odds, but I doubt their fans started the season with any ambition to win the league.

Ally McLeod whipped the nation into a hugely optimistic and confident frenzy about our chances of winning the World Cup in 1978. I can still feel the disappointment of being knocked out at the group stage. And the crushing embarrassment.

Jock Stein came in and told us the truth, that we had to reign back our expectations because we weren't going to be good enough win the WC any time soon. We still have hope, but it's not delusional anymore.

Which approach was more irresponsible?

Miller took Stein's approach and told the fans what they didn't want to hear. But let's face it, if Turnbull's team, the memory of which was still fresh in our minds, couldn't win the league, how could a lesser group of players?

Realism and hope are not mutually exclusive.
    I take your point and don't disagree. I just don't think the Killie should be mocked or branded delusional based on these comments.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    I take your point and don't disagree. I just don't think the Killie should be mocked or branded delusional based on these comments.
    I agree.

There's a difference between saying things like "We're going to win the League and the Champions League in the next 5 years.", and "It would be great if we could challenge for the league next season."
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    When was the last time they won the title and who came second?
    Seems the last time they did it was on the last day of the season. Won it on goal average. Started the move to goal difference after all the mumping aboyt how a "famous" team had been robbed.Thing is on the original Sir Albert day if the had kept goal average the infamous would have won the league. Talk about a double whammy😙

Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post

Absolutely, reality is for real life no a fitba game, we aim as high as we can every season and see where it takes us, what is needed in Scotland is for more teams to be taking points of smeltic.

There is no old firm one of them teams died.

This year is our year.

We said that for 114 years.