hibs.net Messageboard

Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Henderson

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hendo made his debut for Verona tonight in a 4-1 win in the Coppa Italia. He provided the pass for the third goal with what Verona's Twitter account described as an "amazing assist".

Henderson consegnare

2. Log in to remove the advert

Anyone interested in reading a bit about the culture of Italian football and Hellas Verona in particular should give Tim Parks 'A Season with Verona' a read.

The author lived in Verona at the time, and was already a regular at their games, but decided to spend a season going to every home and away game.

A brilliant song read, bit of a travelogue, often very funny, highly recommended.

We should have brought him home last January!

Blog Entries
    Hendo made his debut for Verona tonight in a 4-1 win in the Coppa Italia. He provided the pass for the third goal with what Verona's Twitter account described as an "amazing assist".
    Sounds like he has found his niche. Really pleased for him and I wish him all the best.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ryantaylor View Post
    Henderson? What a dink

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Just passing through Verona on the train to Padova just now. On a bright autumnal Saturday lunchtime I can see exactly why this town was appealing to Liam -a great place to live the best life!

Pity he didn't get the chance to deliver for Scotland tonight.

it's only a short hop over to Albania from Verona.

Quote Originally Posted by Famous Fiver View Post
    Pity he didn't get the chance to deliver for Scotland tonight.

it's only a short hop over to Albania from Verona.
    Let's hope he doesn't get forgotten about, he could definitely contribute for Scotland.

Quote Originally Posted by Iain G View Post
    We should have brought him home last January!
    Henderson was the Pale Rider. We all prayed for a saviour and Henderson delivered. Did he really exist or will his role in May 16 drift into Myth and Legend ?

Golazzo podcast this week is all about Hellas Verona, really good listen, I didn't know they won the title in 84-85, the only time a provincial side has ever won the league? A kind of early Leicester City Cinderella story. Henderson doing well in a defensive midfielder role this season according to James Horncastle.

@hibs.net private member
    Any1 got the link to the interview where he says he will play for us again?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Golazzo podcast this week is all about Hellas Verona, really good listen, I didn't know they won the title in 84-85, the only time a provincial side has ever won the league? A kind of early Leicester City Cinderella story. Henderson doing well in a defensive midfielder role this season according to James Horncastle.
    Will give that a listen, cheers. The best story from that season is referee allocation...Do they cover that?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Depends what you mean by provincial? Verona itself is not huge, but the greater area has quite a big population.

Sampdoria won it in the early 90’s, play in Genoa, which is bigger than Veròna, but clearly not one of the major Italian cities.

Quote Originally Posted by wallpaperman View Post
    Anyone interested in reading a bit about the culture of Italian football and Hellas Verona in particular should give Tim Parks 'A Season with Verona' a read.

The author lived in Verona at the time, and was already a regular at their games, but decided to spend a season going to every home and away game.

A brilliant song read, bit of a travelogue, often very funny, highly recommended.
    Thanks, your posts a big positive on this forum.

A great change from the "i hate Hertz and Rangers" contributers
    Last edited by CMurdoch; 06-08-2019 at 11:49 AM.

Depends what you mean by provincial? Verona itself is not huge, but the greater area has quite a big population.

Sampdoria won it in the early 90’s, play in Genoa, which is bigger than Veròna, but clearly not one of the major Italian cities.
    Sadly, the Italian champions rarely come from outside the big cities glamour clubs Turin, Milan and occasionally Rome, so with Naples excepted, I think you can get away with calling the rest provincial.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar

Edit:

Got mine on eBay couple of quid free delivery

Took me back to the sixties and the Carlton Branch
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 06-08-2019 at 12:58 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Edit:

This is a cracking book.

Nothing at all to do with Italy but if there are fans of good non-Hibs football books, then you should check out 'The Greatest Footballer you never saw - The Robin Friday story'.

Yeah !

Read the reviews a while back

Must have been some player

Will give it a bash

Thanks

It'll be a big challenge for Hendo to get regular games this season thanks to the promotion to Serie A. He didn't start any of Verona's pre-season friendlies until Sunday, when he got the full game v SPAL in a 0-0 draw.

Verona have signed two very good midfield players from Genoa in Bessa and Veloso, as well as Badu on loan from Udinese, although they've also lost Gustafson, who started most games last season. Hopefully it continues to go well for him.

It'll be a big challenge for Hendo to get regular games this season thanks to the promotion to Serie A. He didn't start any of Verona's pre-season friendlies until Sunday, when he got the full game v SPAL in a 0-0 draw.

Verona have signed two very good midfield players from Genoa in Bessa and Veloso, as well as Badu on loan from Udinese, although they've also lost Gustafson, who started most games last season. Hopefully it continues to go well for him.
    Even if he gets decent game time as opposed to starting most of the games, it'll be good for him.

He's still pretty young, so hopefully like SJM can keep developing and form the core of Scotland's midfield for a long time.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    Thanks, your posts a big positive on this forum.

A great change from the "i hate Hertz and Rangers" contributers
    Ha, hate the two of them and all (mostly!).

I actually work beside a die hard Rangers fan who is incredibly fair and lucid compared to most I have come across, whereas the Jambos at work have this weird false sense of entitlement that you usually associate with the OF.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post

Edit:

It’s a great book isn’t it?

The description of long uncomfortable bus trips to the south of Italy are so funny. Strange to think that for some of the far off away games, the bus load of 50 fans or so were their total support, and that was for a Serie A team.

Must dig it out and read again.

Whiles we’re on the subject of football books, a favourite of mine is by Gary Imlach (who some will know if they’ve ever watched Tour de France coverage), it’s called “My Father and Other Working Class Football Heroes”. Intelligent, warm and passionate description of what football players endured in the 50s before there was any money for players.

@hibs.net private member

Yes. One of my favourite football books this ..

I would also add , for Italian football , miracle of castel di Sangro. Wonderful book telling story of a village teams journey all the way to seria B.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post

I would also add , for Italian football , miracle of castel di Sangro. Wonderful book telling story of a village teams journey all the way to seria B.
    Highly recommend this too, cracking book.

Really didn't see the way it ended coming.

Thank you for reminding me of that book. I remember seeing it years ago, but never got round to getting it, must put that right.

It’s a great book isn’t it?

The description of long uncomfortable bus trips to the south of Italy are so funny. Strange to think that for some of the far off away games, the bus load of 50 fans or so were their total support, and that was for a Serie A team.

Must dig it out and read again.
    Spoiler Alert!

What I liked was that he was the first name on the list for the bus leaving the local boozer at dark o clock for a game somewhere down the welly boot the following 3.00pm five minutes before the bus is due to leave all these waifs strays radges psychos and tidy burds appear from no where and we set off on a rollercoaster ride
    It is Hellas Verona against the rest of the world with their own twisted standards and ideology with various run ins with society and authority
    Each chapter is a short chapter starting off with their current league position and a short match report of each game as it unfolds making it an easy read for the busy football fan
    Thoroughly enjoyable a good laugh and an excellent read
    It is set in the early noughties and a lot of the issues covered are still relevant today
    Edit:
    Miracle of Castel is an excellent read as well
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 07-08-2019 at 10:11 AM.