hibs.net Messageboard

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Liam Henderson

@hibs.net private member Jamesie's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's good to see Parma back (although you probably disagree Such an iconic team from when serie a was the best league in the world. Im on holiday in Puglia this summer and Bari is our nearest city so added to the LH connection I really should adopt them. Lecce is another option, beautiful city but they spoil it with a manky Partick Thistle esque home strip.
    Was lucky enough to visit the Stadio San Nicola for Italy v Scotland back in 2007 and would love to see a bit more football on Puglia - fantastic part of the country and very friendly people, with far fewer tourists than elsewhere. Are you travelling right down the “heel” to Leuca, Otranto etc? Meant to be amazing!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT_WasTheBest View Post
    Picinisco by any chance??
    I was thinking the same.

A lovely wee village it is been here a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by JoeT_WasTheBest View Post
    Picinisco by any chance??
    Yup, with about 75% of the other Italian-Scots in Edinburgh! Population now is now only about 1,000 - 1,500 or thereabouts, no wonder when everyone is over here!

Quote Originally Posted by Jamesie View Post
    Was lucky enough to visit the Stadio San Nicola for Italy v Scotland back in 2007 and would love to see a bit more football on Puglia - fantastic part of the country and very friendly people, with far fewer tourists than elsewhere. Are you travelling right down the “heel” to Leuca, Otranto etc? Meant to be amazing!
    We're staying in one of those 'trulli' villages, hiring a car so hopefully be able to explore a bit down on the Tyrrhenian coast Will be hiring bikes as well to work off the antipasti. I was reading about the Bari stadium, 60000 capacity usually not even half full. Lecce Bari is the big Derby and gets a bit heated apparently!
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 04-06-2018 at 06:42 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Weststandwanab View Post
    I was thinking the same.

A lovely wee village it is been here a few times.
    Was lucky enough to visit again about three weeks ago - hired a car from Naples Airport and had one night in Atina and one night in Picinisco. Both great places, the latter in particular is brilliant for just getting away from everything in the clear mountain air - you really couldn't tire of the views!

@hibs.net private member JoeT_WasTheBest's Avatar
    Was lucky enough to visit again about three weeks ago - hired a car from Naples Airport and had one night in Atina and one night in Picinisco. Both great places, the latter in particular is brilliant for just getting away from everything in the clear mountain air - you really couldn't tire of the views!

Im just up from the back end of Sorrento just now, took a walk to the picturesque town of Sant Agata de Golfi, stunning views, busy wee place though.

Did Parma do a ‘The Rangers’ and reform after liquidation? I thought I read something a while back that The football club was no more??? Could be talking total nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHibee View Post
    Did Parma do a ‘The Rangers’ and reform after liquidation? I thought I read something a while back that The football club was no more??? Could be talking total nonsense
    Yes they did, came back up with three consecutive promotions.
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 11-06-2018 at 06:36 PM.

Another hearts-in-mouths weekend for Frosinone in the playoffs - they drew 1-1 at Cittadella last weekend which, under the odd Serie B play off rules, meant that as they finished higher than Cittadella then any win or draw would see them through - i.e. away goals would not count. A 1-1 draw followed yesterday in Frosinone with a nervy last quarter of an hour after Cittadella equalisted on 74 minutes.

So the third Serie A promotion place will go down to 2nd v 3rd - Frosinone v Palermo - with the first leg in Sicily on Wednesday and the return in Frosinone on Saturday. Somehow I suspect these games might be a bit more exciting than the early World Cup fixtures!

@hibs.net private member Future17's Avatar
    Another hearts-in-mouths weekend for Frosinone in the playoffs - they drew 1-1 at Cittadella last weekend which, under the odd Serie B play off rules, meant that as they finished higher than Cittadella then any win or draw would see them through - i.e. away goals would not count. A 1-1 draw followed yesterday in Frosinone with a nervy last quarter of an hour after Cittadella equalisted on 74 minutes.

So the third Serie A promotion place will go down to 2nd v 3rd - Frosinone v Palermo - with the first leg in Sicily on Wednesday and the return in Frosinone on Saturday. Somehow I suspect these games might be a bit more exciting than the early World Cup fixtures!
    3rd v 4th rather than 2nd v 3rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    my gran came from Sant'Elia Fiumerapido near Picinisco so Frosinone is local.
    i had thé great luck to work in Sicily 1999-2000 and caught Italy v Sweden in thé Palermo stadium.

huge ground and - as it was only a few days after ICT beat Mjallby & Larssons celtc, we fixéd up a banner at that game of SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious from the unofficial Catania Hibs Supporters Club

theres a communist bar in Catania called Nievski which had sky & setanta and (shortly after) a Hibs tartan scarf on the wall.

Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    You're spot on.

Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    i had thé great luck to work in Sicily 1999-2000 and caught Italy v Sweden in thé Palermo stadium.

huge ground and - as it was only a few days after ICT beat Mjallby & Larssons celtc, we fixéd up a banner at that game of SuperCaleyGoBallisticCelticAreAtrocious from the unofficial Catania Hibs Supporters Club

theres a communist bar in Catania called Nievski which had sky & setanta and (shortly after) a Hibs tartan scarf on the wall.
    By complete chance I hailed an Uber a few months ago and the driver (who lives close to Easter Road as it happens) was from Sant'Elia. I actually drove past the place last month when heading up to Picinisco : that whole swathe of the Comino Valley from Cassino up to the top of the Monti Della Meta is connected to the east of Scotalnd in some way or other!

I walked past Nievski last year but didn't go in - would have had a look if I'd have known about the Hibs scarf!

By complete chance I hailed an Uber a few months ago and the driver (who lives close to Easter Road as it happens) was from Sant'Elia. I actually drove past the place last month when heading up to Picinisco : that whole swathe of the Comino Valley from Cassino up to the top of the Monti Della Meta is connected to the east of Scotalnd in some way or other!

I walked past Nievski last year but didn't go in - would have had a look if I'd have known about the Hibs scarf!
    Sounds like a potential thread, unusual places you've seen or put Hibs stuff scarves, flags etc.

Testimonial Due
    not seen much in th epaapers about Hendo going to Parma or Bologna ( Italian sports papers ) Fabio Gross has left Bari and is now at verona.

Between Parma and Bologna i would choose Bologna . bigger city and would look him .

Quote Originally Posted by euro Hibby View Post
    not seen much in th epaapers about Hendo going to Parma or Bologna ( Italian sports papers ) Fabio Gross has left Bari and is now at verona.

Between Parma and Bologna i would choose Bologna . bigger city and would look him .
    Parma is always voted at the top of the best places to live in Italy (which is saying something). Legendary food, beautiful city, Metropolitan outlook. Bologna more 'urban', bustling, left wing, big student population, again arguably the best food in Italy.

Basically its a perfect choice. Liams fallen on his feet :cool: He'd better watch the waistline in that part of the world though, look what happened to Thomas Brolin
    Last edited by hibsbollah; 11-06-2018 at 07:36 PM.

ha no way!
    what took you to Catania?

ha no way!
    what took you to Catania?
    Travelled down for the Italy v Fiji autumn test - nice city for a weekend!

@hibs.net private member

I'd never heard of Sant'Elia until my sister booked a place for a three month stay this year, I flew over last Sunday, sitting here having my breakfast while I type, great wee town and surrounding area, old boy in the market asked where I was from, when I said Edinburgh, he talked about the Corolla's and Lucas, a small world!

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Parma is always voted at the top of the best places to live in Italy (which is saying something). Legendary food, beautiful city, Metropolitan outlook. Bologna more 'urban', bustling, left wing, big student population, again arguably the best food in Italy.

Basically its a perfect choice. Liams fallen on his feet :cool: He'd better watch the waistline in that part of the world though, look what happened to Thomas Brolin
    Did you listen to totally football gazetta's Parma episode?

😄

Quote Originally Posted by Weir07 View Post
    I'd never heard of Sant'Elia until my sister booked a place for a three month stay this year, I flew over last Sunday, sitting here having my breakfast while I type, great wee town and surrounding area, old boy in the market asked where I was from, when I said Edinburgh, he talked about the Corolla's and Lucas, a small world!
    Sitting in the Bar Centrale in Picinisco and hearing a mixture of Italian and Edinburgh-accented English being spoken never ceases to be a surreal experience!

Definitely recommend you head up to Picinisco for a couple of hours if you haven't been before - the views are tremendous right across the valley - as well as having a walk around the old walled town in Atina. The newer part of Atina has a hostelry called the "Clyde Scottish Bar", although I haven't been - again, fairly surreal given how relatively remote you are from the main centres of Italian population! Wonderful part of the world.

Sitting in the Bar Centrale in Picinisco and hearing a mixture of Italian and Edinburgh-accented English being spoken never ceases to be a surreal experience!

Definitely recommend you head up to Picinisco for a couple of hours if you haven't been before - the views are tremendous right across the valley - as well as having a walk around the old walled town in Atina. The newer part of Atina has a hostelry called the "Clyde Scottish Bar", although I haven't been - again, fairly surreal given how relatively remote you are from the main centres of Italian population! Wonderful part of the world.
    When I was living in Rome some years ago, I played with the City of Rome Pipe Band at a memorial service in Picinisco and had lunch with World War II veterans. You’re right. Incredible views!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by BishopstonHibby View Post
    When I was living in Rome some years ago, I played with the City of Rome Pipe Band at a memorial service in Picinisco and had lunch with World War II veterans. You’re right. Incredible views!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Your reference to that memorial service made me think about the war memorials in Atina and Picinisco, both of which contain a lot of familiar names - indeed I think there are a few Tortolanos on the one in Atina from memory! Given how proximate the area was to the Gustav Line and Montecassino there was some heavy bombardment - I saw some old photographs of Atina and Cassino Abbey from 1945 recently and both were barely recognisable.

Some very evocative descriptions of war in the region are contained in Anne Pia's excellent "Language of My Choosing" and Mary Contini's "Dear Carlo" - if you're looking for some holiday reading this year I'd recommend picking up both.

Quote Originally Posted by KWJ View Post
    Did you listen to totally football gazetta's Parma episode?

😄
    Yes, it was a great listen. Loved the bit about the Parma players not having any benches to sit on and having to make their own way to training because they sold the busses to pay off the creditors!

Quote Originally Posted by Weir07 View Post
    There's a wee war memorial in the main square in Sant'Elia (and others in surrounding villages are similar) that have WW1 references to family names that you see in Edinburgh now like the Lamarra's and Viola's (then known as Violo's) as well as Nardini, Crolla, Boni, Valvona etc in the village and in the surrounding area.

By the time of WW2 memorials none of those names were represented (all living in Scotland having left the village by then).

The striking thing is that the place names and public monuments all round Sant'Elia read like a TripAdvisor review of the best Scottish ice cream parlours

Lots of good Hibbies with links to the area
    Last edited by Springbank; 12-06-2018 at 11:28 AM.

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar
    There's a wee war memorial in the main square in Sant'Elia (and others in surrounding villages are similar) that have WW1 references to family names that you see in Edinburgh now like the Lamarra's and Viola's (then known as Violo's) as well as Nardini, Crolla, Boni, Valvona etc in the village and in the surrounding area.

By the time of WW2 memorials none of those names were represented (all living in Scotland having left the village by then).

The striking thing is that the place names and public monuments all round Sant'Elia read like a TripAdvisor review of the best Scottish ice cream parlours

Sure do. It’s like little Edinburgh back there in the summer..

My first visit to Picinisco was in 2005 and my last in 2016 with a few in between.

It is lovely with stunning views but it has been Ednburghised over the years.

In 2005 very little English was spoken but now an incredible amount of both languages are spoken.

Some local signs are in both languages too.

However I agree about Atina a beautiful little place that has a large amount of Edinburgh accents.

Nice.

@hibs.net private member

Thanks for the recommendation, been to Atina already, lovely place that was unfortunately heavily bombed during the war but very well restored, flying back on Friday but will take up your suggestion of a trip to Picinisco.

@hibs.net private member

I had a quick look at the memorial but will have a closer look when I go into town tonight, thanks for the info!