hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member
    Interesting thread this is.

Question: if you enter a restaurant and there are empty tables would you sit right next to the only

occupied one or far away from it?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by pollution View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Question: if you enter a restaurant and there are empty tables would you sit right next to the only

I only go to restaurants where I am shown to my table.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by sleeping giant View Post
    I was working away one week and was in a hotel bar an had just ordered food and sat at a table that could fit four.
    This couple them came over and sat at the same table directly across from me.
    I honestly couldn't believe it :

I then decided to take a picture of them secretly to post on Facebook and hadn't muted my phone .
    I was horrified when the shutter sound went off and they both looked at me knowing I had obviously taken a picture of them.
    I was mortified .

My food then came but they still didn't move .

I didn't call them *******s though :-)

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

As far away from each other diner as possible. Same with picking a urinal.
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar

Farthest corner, looking out over everybody. Nobody behind me.

If only Tony Soprano had done that....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

They rarely even acknowledge my opening a door for them.
    We have all been there I think, I just tell them that they are welcome and carry on.
    Last edited by andybev1; 28-05-2018 at 05:54 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    Farthest corner, looking out over everybody. Nobody behind me.

If only Tony Soprano had done that....

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    If only I had got round to watching the Sopranos...

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

That is key to the OP's complaint. The smokers had other tables to choose from but sat next to our dinner and spoiled his meal with their selfishness.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    CT, not saying it's a good thing or a bad thing, but you're one territorial *******.

@hibs.net private member sleeping giant's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    That is key to the OP's complaint. The smokers had other tables to choose from but sat next to our dinner and spoiled his meal with their selfishness.
    OP didn't mention eating a meal.
    No Eternal Reward Shall Forgive Us Now For Wasting The Dawn

On the subject of rude smokers....

Folk who stand at hospital entrances and have a fag.
    Gartnavel hospital and the old western infirmary in Glasgow were the worst I have ever came across.

On the subject of rude smokers....

Folk who stand at hospital entrances and have a fag.
    Gartnavel hospital and the old western infirmary in Glasgow were the worst I have ever came across.
    You should see the main entrance to the RIE, hundreds of cigarette ends scattered around the automatic doors, have to fight my way through groups of ignorant tossers going to & from work each day, they are practically standing in the mall smoking. I would have a sprinkler system go on & soak the ignorant gits each time they light up.

Left by mutual consent!
    Correct I was not eating.

The folk who smoke right outside the doors to the oncology department at the Western General must be a few sandwiches short of a picnic in more ways than one. Every time I pass it there’s always 2 or 3 folk standing there puffing away right next to the signs stating it’s a no smoking site.

I’m with the OP re the table. If you plant yourself at a table someone else is already sitting at then if you start doing something that impacts on them it’s just manners and decency to ask if they mind.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

Irrelevant whether they were eating or not, it's a matter of consideration for others.
    In this case, FAIL.

Left by mutual consent!
    Irrelevant whether they were eating or not, it's a matter of consideration for others.
    In this case, FAIL.
    Well that is my view but it does appear some think I shouldn't expect somebody who chooses to sit with us then decides to smoke to need to say anything. I find it very poor form.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Well that is my view but it does appear some think I shouldn't expect somebody who chooses to sit with us then decides to smoke to need to say anything. I find it very poor form.
    The world is full of inconsiderate b******s who were brought up thinking the world owes them a living. The OP highlights a perfect example of such a case.
    Last edited by snooky; 28-05-2018 at 11:45 PM.

In this case, FAIL.
    It is relevant .
    You said they were smoking when he was having a meal.
    He wasn't .

Not fussed either way by the way ya *******

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    It's along time ago now but the last person who smoked in front of me after asking if they could and then ignoring my responses was extinguished by a water fire extinguisher. Different reasons and environment but this thread reminded me of it. 😁

Left by mutual consent! Peevemor's Avatar
    If I'm in an area where smoking is permitted (eg. outside), I definitely won't ask if anyone minds if I smoke - I just smoke. I will however make sure that I don't blow smoke on non-smokers whether they're in my company or not. Sometimes it's as simple as holding my cigarette in my left hand instead of my right. If turning away from my table means that I might bother people at the next, I'll go and stand somewhere unencumbered for the duration of my fag - that doesn't bother me at all. I also make sure that there's not an ashtray full of fag ends under peoples' noses when they're eating. I don't like it so I don't expect others to.
    Last edited by Peevemor; 29-05-2018 at 03:20 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    If there were other seated options, you're within your right to feel perturbed in my opinion.

I detest smokers (well, their habit), but they have been increasingly marginalised (rightly so) in recent years. In an outdoor situation, they're well within their rights to try and kill the rest of us. Except in hospital grounds, where ironically, most of them stand in front of big ****-off signs that say the hospital grounds are prohibited spaces. And PB is correct - the irony of people smoking outside an oncology ward...you get what you give I suppose.

I was at an outdoor festival in Leeds at the weekend and the smoking around me really got on my wick, but what can you do?

I do notice an increase in the number of people now using vape pens rather than actual cigarettes - something I hope continues, as I can just about tolerate the smell of "raspberry ripple" rather than "cancer cloud".

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    If there were other seated options, you're within your right to feel perturbed in my opinion.

I detest smokers (well, their habit), but they have been increasingly marginalised (rightly so) in recent years. In an outdoor situation, they're well within their rights to try and kill the rest of us. Except in hospital grounds, where ironically, most of them stand in front of big ****-off signs that say the hospital grounds are prohibited spaces. And PB is correct - the irony of people smoking outside an oncology ward...you get what you give I suppose.

I was at an outdoor festival in Leeds at the weekend and the smoking around me really got on my wick, but what can you do?

I do notice an increase in the number of people now using vape pens rather than actual cigarettes - something I hope continues, as I can just about tolerate the smell of "raspberry ripple" rather than "cancer cloud".
    Its hilarious at the RIE, watching the daily sprint for a smoke whilst wheeling their drip stands out. Those are the ones who think because they are patients they have a right to smoke at the entrance doors whilst ignoring the massive yellow no smoking signs that are painted on the floor.

It is relevant .
    You said they were smoking when he was having a meal.
    He wasn't .

Not fussed either way by the way ya *******
    You're spot on, btw. I am a b******
    Peevemor has the right attitude. Good lad

@hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    I dont know where you are but your mixing with the wrong women. I have a large friends group of women and i dont think any of us wouldnt say thanks to someone holding a door open for us.
    From the sounds of it I don't think he is mixing with any women.

.net's very own Incel.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

I actually disagree with with your last point, humbly, because I’m sick of being in a public indoor space, such as shopping centres, cinemas, shops, etc, where folk seem to think that puffing away on a vape pen is ok, and I’m having to breath in their vape/output. This is despite signs stating that they’re also banned.

Ive no issue with smokers or vapers, however I choose not to partake, and don’t feel that I should be forced to breath in their second hand smoke/vape. That said, I find generally smokers are very much more conscious of their smoke (as Peevemor has described above) and go out their way to avoid putting others in the position of breathing it in, vape people generally seem to be much less so.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    I actually disagree with with your last point, humbly, because I’m sick of being in a public indoor space, such as shopping centres, cinemas, shops, etc, where folk seem to think that puffing away on a vape pen is ok, and I’m having to breath in their vape/output. This is despite signs stating that they’re also banned.

Ive no issue with smokers or vapers, however I choose not to partake, and don’t feel that I should be forced to breath in their second hand smoke/vape. That said, I find generally smokers are very much more conscious of their smoke (as Peevemor has described above) and go out their way to avoid putting others in the position of breathing it in, vape people generally seem to be much less so.
    Oh, I'd agree with that 100%. Inside isn't acceptable, even if it is a puff of bubblegum vapour.

However, if I'm going to be surprised by a waft of something in the street or outdoor spaces where it is acceptable, I'd rather that than cigarette smoke (should I have to experience one or t'other).

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Anyone got a problem with garlic or farting?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    From the sounds of it I don't think he is mixing with any women.

.net's very own Incel.

I am from Mars.

I am from Mars.
    Love your chocolate, btw.

Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    As far away from each other diner as possible. Same with picking a urinal.
    Spot on! Same with lockers at the gym. Why does someone almost always get changed in the area next to me even the locker next to me although there are loads of free lockers in other parts of the changing room. Just reduces the amount of space we have for both of us. Drives me mad!!