hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Left by mutual consent!

Rude behaviour you encounter.

My wife and I were sitting at a table in a beer garden yesterday. There were still quite a few tables free a couple in the shade but 2 or 3 the same as ours.

A couple in their probably 60s decided to sit at end of our table as in the sun didn't ask if OK or ask if anyone else was sitting there as we may have been waiting for people.

We do not smoke and I understand you can smoke in beer garden (I do not think you should but that's another argument) they then got out stinking roll ups and started smoking again not a word.

I said to wife whom was not impressed that I am saying something which she didn't want to. I got up and said "it's OK you just stay there and we will move tables as we don't want smoke all over our clothes you 2 just do what you like ignorant *******s"

Not a word from them. That sort of **** really annoys me.

I would say that their behaviour was rude and arrogant?
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 27-05-2018 at 07:18 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I've found closing myself off from the general population by living in a small village has done my stress levels a world of good.

Unfortunately 99% of the population has forgotten manners are free.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    My wife and I were sitting at a table in a beer garden yesterday. There were still quite a few tables free a couple in the shade but 2 or 3 the same as ours.

A couple in their probably 60s decided to sit at end of our table as in the sun didn't ask if OK or ask if anyone else was sitting there as we may have been waiting for people.

We do not smoke and I understand you can smoke in beer garden (I do not think you should but that's another argument) they then got out stinking roll ups and started smoking again not a word.

I said to wife whom was not impressed that I am saying something which she didn't want to. I got up and said "it's OK you just stay there and we will move tables as we don't want smoke all over our clothes you 2 just do what you like ignorant *******s"

I get the annoyance of someone just sitting at a table when others are free. But how can you complain about smoking?
    Smokers were forced to go outside when the law changed, no issue with that, but you cant then dictate at what times a smoker is allowed to smoke in the beer garden. On a cold raining night in the middle of winter you would not have an issue with someone going to the beer garden for a puff, but because the suns out and you decide to use it you expect a new law stopping people?

Keeping seats for people or a place in a queue for folk annoys me more.

I don't smoke but why you would expect someone to ask if its ok is beyond me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibee87 View Post
    I get the annoyance of someone just sitting at a table when others are free. But how can you complain about smoking?
    Smokers were forced to go outside when the law changed, no issue with that, but you cant then dictate at what times a smoker is allowed to smoke in the beer garden. On a cold raining night in the middle of winter you would not have an issue with someone going to the beer garden for a puff, but because the suns out and you decide to use it you expect a new law stopping people?
    No I expect them to have the decency to at least ask seeing as we were not smoking and there were plenty of space. Why should I have smoke all over my clothes when out enjoying a drink?

And yeah there should be a designated smoking area and a beer garden shouldn't be it. If a pub has no beer garden smokers go to an area that nobody is drinking or eating ie out the front, so IMO the same should apply in the beer garden area of a pub.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 27-05-2018 at 10:54 AM.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    Because I am sitting right next to them that's why, on a table they decided to sit at after we did. I found it disgraceful just for them both to light up smelly roll ups right next to us knowing full well the smoke will blow about right on us.

Would you expect to be asked by a guest in your home?

Well maybe it's just me then.
    Last edited by Captain Trips; 27-05-2018 at 11:07 AM.

Gamer IDs

PSN ID: hibee-87
    No I expect them to have the decency to at least ask seeing as we were not smoking and there were plenty of space. Why should I have smoke all over my clothes when out enjoying a drink?

And yeah there should be a designated smoking area and a beer garden shouldn't be it. If a pub has no beer garden smokers go to an area that nobody is drinking or eating ie out the front, so IMO the same should apply in the beer garden area of a pub.
    I guess we will have to disagree on this issue but imo the beer garden IS the designated smoking area. If you are sitting in any beer garden in the country you have to expect smokers since it is the outside area unless the pub itself advertises differently.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Anyone smoking in my vicinity annoys me so I get the OP completely.

@hibs.net private member

Original point confirmed!

One day my partner and I were in a beer garden and this guy sitting next to us started going radge, ranting about smoking and calling us “ignorant *******s”.

I mean, how rude! He could at least of tried asking us politely to stop smoking if he didn’t like it.

Probably for the peeve thread....seperate outside smoking areas/tables. As if we're not castigated enough.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Keeping seats for people or a place in a queue for folk annoys me more.
    This is my pet hate. You go early to an event and find one person there with half a dozen seats 'reserved' beside them with a jacket , handbag, hat, etc. This is repeated all over and you end up with a seat at the back. Five minutes before the show starts the 'reservees' toddle in and take their choice seats.

Because I am sitting right next to them that's why, on a table they decided to sit at after we did. I found it disgraceful just for them both to light up smelly roll ups right next to us knowing full well the smoke will blow about right on us.

Would you expect to be asked by a guest in your home?

Well maybe it's just me then.
    I never realised it was your pub, sorry!

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Anyone smoking in my vicinity annoys me so I get the OP completely.
    Me too. I think there should be smoking rooms with tight doors and ban smoking outdoors

Left by mutual consent!
    I never realised it was your pub, sorry!
    It's not. So would you expect to be asked at your home?

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    Me too. I think there should be smoking rooms with tight doors and ban smoking outdoors
    I used to smoke about 30 years ago however, these days the smell that comes off smokers almost makes me vomit.
    In their defence, I'm sure they have no concept of how bad the smell is to others so I can understand their indifference when people complain about it.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    I used to smoke about 30 years ago however, these days the smell that comes off smokers almost makes me vomit.
    In their defence, I'm sure they have no concept of how bad the smell is to others so I can understand their indifference when people complain about it.
    Im an ex smoker too, 20 something years and am just mega grumpy about smokers smoking near me. Im unreasonable and I know it

It's not. So would you expect to be asked at your home?
    I would but, not if we were sitting in the garden having a bevvy. Smoking in someones house without asking is hardly comparable with smoking in an outdoor public area of a pub. At the end of the day I couldnae give a dugs dangler one way or the other so, you just crack on.
    Last edited by HUTCHYHIBBY; 27-05-2018 at 01:23 PM.

Left by mutual consent!
    I would but, not if we were sitting in the garden having a bevvy. Smoking in someones house without asking is hardly comparable with smoking in an outdoor public area of a pub. At the end of the day I couldnae give a dugs dangler one way or the other so, you just crack on.

Just saying then in certain circumstances you would expect to be asked. I expect to be asked at a shared table, at their own table fine at a shared table expect to be asked.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Just saying then in certain circumstances you would expect to be asked. I expect to be asked at a shared table, at their own table fine at a shared table expect to be asked.
    Totally sensible view IMHO... I just can't see how anyone could reasonably argue differently???

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk

You have to expect it in beer gardens but its smoking at bus stops that does my head in!

Quote Originally Posted by nellio View Post
    You have to expect it in beer gardens but its smoking at bus stops that does my head in!
    Why? the difference is only in your head imo, we smokers have been treated as lepers and I am fine when it comes to not smoking indoors even when people who do not smoke are in my house but I will be ****ed if I am going to not smoke outside. maybe you should all get people in cars to stop driving too - no, that would probably impact you.
    I hate smoking but outside is kind of open enough to smoke in my opinion, so suck it up...or not as the case may be ....

.....I am kind of being the stereotypical ignorant smoker by saying that and I do feel like that sometimes BUT seriouslly, I have just been diagnosed with COPD so it is something that needs to be slowly stopped as it is not nice seeing relatives dying because they cannot breath and I will be next unless I can cut it out.
    Last edited by andybev1; 27-05-2018 at 03:28 PM.

on another note, I was going to the counter of a shop where I had to go round the little maze to get to the front of the queue - some idiot woman entered the shop and went straight to the front of the queue by not going the prescribed way - she got daggers I tell you.

Also, in general, queueing is an art that is being lost in this country as the non queuing people who do not appreciate the reasons and rules come into the country - it has already been lost inLondon and annoyed me no ends when I lived there. This is not me being racist, i do think it is just a way of being polite and works.

Left by mutual consent!
    For me it's whether they have the decency to make sure the smoke isn't wafting in my direction or if they are ignorant bassas who dont give a monkey's if their 2ns hand smoke is choking and blinding someone to death.

Kind of agree with the OP here. If they smokers had sat at a different table then I think they’re fair game to smoke, if they’ve sat at the same table then it’s just common courtesy to ask.

i don’t smoke myself, never have, but I do have friends who do, and in my experience they are all very conscious of where the smoke wafts, often they’ll move themself or get me to move so the smoke isn’t blowing towards me.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Kind of agree with the OP here. If they smokers had sat at a different table then I think they’re fair game to smoke, if they’ve sat at the same table then it’s just common courtesy to ask.

i don’t smoke myself, never have, but I do have friends who do, and in my experience they are all very conscious of where the smoke wafts, often they’ll move themself or get me to move so the smoke isn’t blowing towards me.
    That's all I expected maybe its just us but if I go to a crowded beer garden and I see a space I will always ask if OK to sit there. If they are smoking then that will have been my choice or not. However they never asked if OK to sit there which IMO is just curtious I think, then to light up is not right.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    One day my partner and I were in a beer garden and this guy sitting next to us started going radge, ranting about smoking and calling us “ignorant *******s”.

I mean, how rude! He could at least of tried asking us politely to stop smoking if he didn’t like it.
    If they are not doing anything why is there a need to politely ask them anything.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by andybev1 View Post
    on another note, I was going to the counter of a shop where I had to go round the little maze to get to the front of the queue - some idiot woman entered the shop and went straight to the front of the queue by not going the prescribed way - she got daggers I tell you.

Also, in general, queueing is an art that is being lost in this country as the non queuing people who do not appreciate the reasons and rules come into the country - it has already been lost inLondon and annoyed me no ends when I lived there. This is not me being racist, i do think it is just a way of being polite and works.

Doesn't surprise me as women are often the rudest in society in general, I hasten to add.

Utterly self absorbed. They rarely even acknowledge my opening a door for them. As for selfish driving....

I remember one of my friends was asked by someone" Do you mind if I smoke?"
    He replied "Not at all. Do you mind if I fart in your face."