hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Hi. Nice Post. And I get all that. My confusion was the extent of it. It wasn't just a pile of folk shouting for Liverpool once the game started. It was Scottish folk, fully clad in all the Liverpool gear, singing and chanting for hours that this was their team.

It just confused me - have they no interest in any Scottish team at all? Presumably not, which was just a surprise to me.
    I direct you to post #28

2. Log in to remove the advert

It was organised by Edinburgh’s Kop/Auld reekie reds. A lot of them are from Scotland and only support Liverpool. Although a few have Scottish
    teams inall. Most of them aren’t even from Edinburgh tbf.

Liverpool are my English team and I thought it was a great atmosphere. Liverpool are a global brand. They lost tonight and I was gutted but I would feel a lot worse if Hibs lost.
    Last edited by CorrieHibs; 26-05-2018 at 11:18 PM.

Hi. Nice Post. And I get all that. My confusion was the extent of it. It wasn't just a pile of folk shouting for Liverpool once the game started. It was Scottish folk, fully clad in all the Liverpool gear, singing and chanting for hours that this was their team.

It just confused me - have they no interest in any Scottish team at all? Presumably not, which was just a surprise to me.
    As I’ve said earlier in the thread. There was people in our group who absolutely pride themselves on their support for Hibs and Hearts. But they’re also Liverpool supporters and go to games when opportunities arise to do so.

Why can you not have an interest in both, I love Liverpool and was at a Liverpool event in a shirt, singing and dancing, but I also have a season ticket for Hibs and have for years.

People just want to be a part of something significant. If you have sod all to do with the city of Liverpool then there’s no real reason for supporting them.

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose. I appreciate I’m heavily out numbered as I have loads of mates who support English teams as their first choice (never ones like Carlisle or S****horpe oddly enough lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    People just want to be a part of something significant. If you have sod all to do with the city of Liverpool then there’s no real reason for supporting them.

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaststandee View Post
    😂

Edinburgh Man City fans are different though. They’ve probably earned their stripes.😁

Was in McSorleys, and there was a group who couldn’t decide between singing Hibs songs, and Liverpool.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Eaststandee View Post
    Why can you not have an interest in both, I love Liverpool and was at a Liverpool event in a shirt, singing and dancing, but I also have a season ticket for Hibs and have for years.
    The things is though, that most will have no interest in a Scottish team whatsoever and a fair chunk of them will never have stepped foot in Anfield. I was a fan, of sorts of Man Utd in my younger days, and latterly of Everton but my feelings for those clubs are in no way whatsoever similar to my feelings towards Hibs.

It’s the other way round these days, unfortunately!

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    I know loads of Liverpool ‘fans’, both here and in Ireland,but I’ve been to Dingwall to see Hibs play Ross County more than they’ve been to support Liverpool in the flesh. Just one of those clubs the glory hunters don’t need to make that much effort to latch onto. Glad they got beat.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 27-05-2018 at 12:14 AM.

@hibs.net private member

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose. I appreciate I’m heavily out numbered as I have loads of mates who support English teams as their first choice (never ones like Carlisle or S****horpe oddly enough lol)
    This. We moan about folk in Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc. supporting one of the ugly sisters so I don't see how supporting an English team without a genuine connection is any better.

Like there are other teams in the world who's results I look out for but they come a very very distant second to Hibs. Fine to have some kind of affinity for other teams but mental to live in Scotland and support Liverpool unless you're from there.

Stuff like that is what's ruining the game

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Liverpool have fans all over the world, it stands to reason that they choose to meet in order to watch a major final with like minded people.Many of them also support and follow a team in the country that they live. There would have been Hibees and Jambos amongst that crowd in Malones tonight.
    Very true about the global support for Liverpool. We are in Kiev for the weekend and found the city to be full of Liverpool fans. Most, if not all, of the Scousers we encountered before the match had tickets and were headed for the stadium.

When we watched the match in a bar, I was amazed how many were supporting Liverpool. Most, I suspect, were locals from Kiev. At our table, there was a Dubai-based Indonesian and a Ukrainian, both of whom had Liverpool tops on. They were very knowledgable about Liverpool and the English Premier League.

@hibs.net private member

I was born on Merseyside and my dad was a Scouser and Everton fan. He used to take me and my mum to Liverpool every summer to see our Scouse relatives. Unfortunately, our visits were usually during the close season so we didn't get the chance to see much of his team.
    Over the years I've been down to Goodison a few times and like to see them doing well (hasn't been happening much lately) but my feelings for the Toffees doesn't come remotely close to how I feel about the Hibs.
    I was pretty much neutral about the final. Would've been a massive boost for the city if they had won but then the local rivalry element kicked in.

@hibs.net private member WeAreHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stax View Post
    I’m “middle aged” & have always looked out for Liverpool’s results over the years. Growing up Kenny Dalgleish was & arguably is the only world class player Scotland has ever produced so as a young Laddie there was always an interest. Hansen, Souness (I know, but before he was a Hun) all added to my interest as I loved the Scotland players back then. Tonight I watched the game for the same reason, Andy Robertson is everything that’s right about football in general. Juergen Klopps acknowledgment of Bales finish was also a touch of class. I wouldn’t sit in a bar with a Liverpool shirt on & kid on they were my team but I definitely have a soft spot for them.
    Denis Law?

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Everyone's a gloryhunter.
    yip I met two Cowdenbeath fans all they talked about was their next big signing and the trophies they were gonna win.

Testimonial Due

A lot of it is bandwagon jumping too. I know a guy who was a blackburn rovers fan in tge 90s (and in fact there werr two other blackburn 'fans' in my year at school) but he has since changed to be a man utd fan.

Im sure when liv are doing nothing, these filk disappear like snow off a dyke.

Serious question for scouse hibs... do proper liverpool fans, from liverpool (or with a connection to city) not get annoyed with these type of fans? I saw quite a few asian groups on the tv last night, and if that was hibs, it would annoy me?

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Why don't they follow Rotherham?

Or Chesterfield?
    You answered your own question why would you?
    I followed Liverpool when Dalglish moved there as hoped as a terrific Scottish player he would be an good replacement for Keegan. I later married a scouser and live down there. Follow Liverpool fortunes but my heart and passion is most definitely Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    A lot of it is bandwagon jumping too. I know a guy who was a blackburn rovers fan in tge 90s (and in fact there werr two other blackburn 'fans' in my year at school) but he has since changed to be a man utd fan.

Serious question for scouse hibs... do proper liverpool fans, from liverpool (or with a connection to city) not get annoyed with these type of fans? I saw quite a few asian groups on the tv last night, and if that was hibs, it would annoy me?
    Strange post why would it annoy you other people supporting your club? If is hardly like they will be taking tickets off regulars every week.

I know its not the norm but, my mate's English team is Carlisle.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar

Hard to get annoyed about a worldwide fan base that helps finance the club. It does kind of annoy me that tickets are so hard to come by because of it but that's all part of the global fan base, the merchandise revenue alone it generates is massive.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar

I have met Scottish folk who claim no allegiance to a Scottish side and support a glamour side from England. Bizarre, but each to their own.

reigning hibs.net poker champion Wembley67's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Happyhibs62
    Or maybe folk can stop trying to justify it and just say they were out having fun? Funny bunch some footy fans 😁
    "You opened the box....and your soul belongs to me...."

I have no connection to Edinburgh but I'm a diehard Hibs fan.

People support football clubs for lots of different reasons.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Hard to get annoyed about a worldwide fan base that helps finance the club. It does kind of annoy me that tickets are so hard to come by because of it but that's all part of the global fan base, the merchandise revenue alone it generates is massive.
    I suppose, a necessary evil, particuarly in english football.

Thanks for your response.

I think if i moved to aanother city to live, i would adopt a team to follow, but i just cant understand how people can just decide to support a team, often a team they have nevet seen in thhe flesh, and claim some deep connection.

The emotional connection is something that for me, is rooted in place, family, and no doubt a generation or so back, religion and culture. Its a bond built on enduring lows and celebrating the odd high with mates and family. I just dont accept that some random punter from singapore or somewhere can possibly claim to understand that.

The reason i asked you specifically is bcause given how rooted liverpool are in their community, civix history and of course tragedy, and given how corporate english fitba with enormous ticket prices is out of step with the social circumstances of liverpool the city, i wondered if people claiming an allegiance to all of that would be quite offensive to people.

If Rankers or Celtc were in a Euro Final, there would have been pubs all over England with similar scenes.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Strange post why would it annoy you other people supporting your club? If is hardly like they will be taking tickets off regulars every week.
    I was just curious.

Im fairly sure there are plenty of scousers who cant get tickets while tourists and corporate 'fans' can. But anyway, i was just curious.

I know i wouldnt class some random punter who has no connection to hibs, and had never been to ER, as tge same as me. Thats maybe a bit uber-fan, but thats just how i see it.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar

i lived in Manchester for about a year and most of the local united fans I worked with definitely expressed some annoyance about out of town fans. Nothing vicious, just a lot of rolled eyes and frustration about ticket shortage for locals and how they are misrepresented in the media as being glory hunters.

the odd one did seem proud of the global support.

personally, I’m not from Edinburgh so Ive no right to call out anyone for supporting a non local team.
    Last edited by Pagan Hibernia; 27-05-2018 at 09:27 AM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    i lived in Manchester for about a year and most of the local united fans I worked with definitely expressed some annoyance about out of town fans. Nothing vicious, just a lot of rolled eyes and frustration about ticket shortage for locals and how they are misrepresented in the media as being glory hunters.

Cheers, i woyld imagine so.

But as Scouse said, its the price that has to be paid for international fame and revenue.

Not an issue hibs are likely to struggle with anytime soon!

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post

That's surely the part that must be annoying, where locals are suddenly priced out of watching the team they've always supported.

I think that played a large part in the founding of FC United.

Fortunately it's not going to happen to Hibs anytime soon