hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    @hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If Rankers or Celtc were in a Euro Final, there would have been pubs all over England with similar scenes.
    Full of Scottish folk? Not sure the infirm have as much of a draw as their hype would have you believe.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by superfurryhibby View Post
    Full of Scottish folk? Not sure the infirm have as much of a draw as their hype would have you believe.

Sadly they have supporters clubs all over england, particularly in the north-west.

If it was Rankers, there would probably be pubs in London full of Chelsea Fans having a 'love-in' with their favourite other Rule Britannia team.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    I was in a sports bar last night, full of them. The high pitched screams from these mousers was funny as f...

I'm sure they were putting helium in the beer.

A few getting angry towards the end, especially with folk laughing at the keeper. It was great to watch a football match where the keeper was that bad, and it didn't involve Hibs.

I also had quite a large bet on Madrid, which made the night even more enjoyable.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    There’s quite a large number of people in Edinburgh that don’t follow a Scottish team, but follow an English team. Mostly it seems to be Man Utd. Don’t get it myself.

United we stand here....

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Quite embracing the amount of folk with no affiliation to Spurs, Man City, Chelsea, Liverpool etc etc etc going to the boozers of cities in Scotland at the weekends to watch ‘their team’ and ****ing over the ‘superstars’, same roasters that don't see the irony in telling you how crap Scottish football is.

If they are so desperate to support an English team why’s it not Rochdale, Millwall, Oldham etc? Cause they’re glory hunters that’s why. As bad as the Old Firm ‘fans’ that never attend matches that pollute every town in Scotland.

I don’t mean to come across as arsey, just don’t get it, probably as I’ve been brought up to live and breathe a local team.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=neil7908;5415512]This. We moan about folk in Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc. supporting one of the ugly sisters so I don't see how supporting an English team without a genuine connection is any better.

Like there are other teams in the world who's results I look out for but they come a very very distant second to Hibs. Fine to have some kind of affinity for other teams but mental to live in Scotland and support Liverpool unless you're from there.

Stuff like that is what's ruining the game[/QUOTE

Supporting ANY team other than the OF is surely better?
    IMO anyone, whoever they are, wherever they are, can support who the hell they like and have no need to explain themselves to anybody else. Just support who you like and extend the same courtesy.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    That's surely the part that must be annoying, where locals are suddenly priced out of watching the team they've always supported.

I think that played a large part in the founding of FC United.

Fortunately it's not going to happen to Hibs anytime soon
    That's the mental thing about it ...... When you look at the massive amount of money TV pumps into the EPL and the revenue being a global brand brings in to a number of the clubs they should be using that revenue to ensure that prices are affordable for their traditional fan bases. Instead of that they seem intent on sucking every last penny out of them. I paid £44 for a bog standard main stand ticket for Everton v Watford 2 seasons ago and that was for a seat straight out of the 1950s .... that's for the self proclaimed 'peoples club'

If local fans aren't annoyed about football tourists then they should be, because they are enabling clubs to keep prices high because they know that for every local who cant afford the prices there are 5 non locals who can and will pay them.

Folk moan about the prices Hibs charge at times, and that's a club for whom selling tickets is a massive part of the clubs ability to survive and compete... in comparison for the likes of Liverpool and Man City for example ticket sales are a far less significant revenue stream.

I wonder if the TV gravy train ever hits the buffers and the die hard reds and blues in Tokyo, Oslo and Bangkok lose interest if the locals will remember how they were treated at the very time when clubs had on open door to reward them for their traditional loyalty .... for example the 30,000 or so Man City fans who stuck by the club when they were utter *****.

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Yer 1902 View Post
    Denis Law?
    Fair point.

First Team Breakthrough
    Hahahaha so happy Madrid won

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    I have no connection to Edinburgh but I'm a diehard Hibs fan.

People support football clubs for lots of different reasons.
    It’s not the same. There will always be quirky ones and I’m pretty sure you don’t follow hibs for the glory. For every case like yours or that boy above who follows Carlisle there are thousands of others who are skewing things by following Celtic, Rangers or a big English team.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Liam6270 View Post
    Hahahaha so happy Madrid won

so am i for more than one reason..... but most importantly my wallet £££'s

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Edinburgh has active supporters clubs for Man Utd, Man City, Newcastle, Sunderland, Spurs, Arsenal, Aberdeen, both cheeks (several unfortunately) and even some foreign sides such as Frankfurt & Groningen (which many on here will be involved with). Wouldn’t be surprised if there are lots more with so many ex-pats from Poland, Spain, Greece etc.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Over in Ireland it’s only the big teams in England that folk seem to support. Never met one who didn’t “support” the likes of Manchester United/City and Liverpool from the comfort of the armchair or barstool. Galway United then rarely attract over 4 figures for their home games. I can never take them seriously with their football chat, which is only ever a chat about three or four big English teams.
    Last edited by Carheenlea; 27-05-2018 at 01:29 PM.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    I was in Malone's tonight as part of an old-age stag do. I was really confused.

The place was absolutely jumping - I mean jumping - with hundreds and hundreds of Scottish Liverpool fans (there was a sign saying Edinburgh Liverpool Supporters Club or something similar).

Anyway, the were going for it like laldy, mad shouting and singing like you would do for the team you love ie like Hibs.

But I am genuinely confused. Are people really that enthralled by English football? Personally I couldn't care less.

Do they watch this instead of Scottish football, or as well?

If a Scottish team was in a European final (unlikely, I know), would Liverpool bars be full of English fans supporting them? Obviously not. Bloody weird.

Can someone explain this to an old, confused Hibby please?
    Enjoyed pumping them in the 1970s. I support Benfica and Santos but they are my parents home team. But Hibs first.

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Imagine Jordan Henderson being a champions league winner !

@hibs.net private member

The place was absolutely jumping - I mean jumping - with hundreds and hundreds of Scottish Liverpool fans (there was a sign saying Edinburgh Liverpool Supporters Club or something similar).

Anyway, the were going for it like laldy, mad shouting and singing like you would do for the team you love ie like Hibs.

But I am genuinely confused. Are people really that enthralled by English football? Personally I couldn't care less.

If a Scottish team was in a European final (unlikely, I know), would Liverpool bars be full of English fans supporting them? Obviously not. Bloody weird.

Experienced the exact same but in Hamburg. All Germans bar a few scousers. The place was pandemonium.

In Greenock I know of 2 local middle aged men who once upon a time would go and watch Morton. One now has a season ticket for Man City, the other has one for Man United.
    Greenock is also home to Scotland only officialy approved FC Barcelona supporters club. They had to prove their support in various ways and raise monies for charities ect ect.
    These guys have a vote in electing presidents and so on! They are mostly Celtic fans but now consider Barca as their team.
    Last edited by Renfrew_Hibby; 27-05-2018 at 02:40 PM.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    I was there in the upstairs room - superb atmosphere. Not a Liverpool supporter but did want them to win.

I've supported newcastle for 28 years im 34 now, there aint been much glory thats for sure but go to at least 6 or 7 games a season and I always will. Brilliant days out and only over an hour on the train.

Living in Singapore I get to see the globalisation of the game in full swing. All the big English teams (and big Euro teams) have supporters clubs, the fans all gather to watch the routine matches but when big games come around, they book out hotel conference suites etc across the city. Hundreds at each venue, all decked out in their team colours. They all know all the history, all the songs, have all the gear, have all the passion. Most won’t have been to England, never mind a match in person. Its quite a sight and a bit surreal but they all believe they support and love their teams as much as any season ticket holder. Just wait for the top 4/5 in England to decide they dont want another TV deal and start selling their own games direct globally. Sky opened the barn door, the horse aint coming back!!

I agree i don't get it, unless that is the only team you have an affinity for.
    For me it is Hibs and Scotland their games are the only ones I would show any emotion at. All the others are a kick about and the only time I would care is when I have a bet.

Quote Originally Posted by supermcginn View Post
    I've supported newcastle for 28 years im 34 now, there aint been much glory thats for sure but go to at least 6 or 7 games a season and I always will. Brilliant days out and only over an hour on the train.
    IIRC there was a wee period when Newcastle were advertising matches in the EEN .... I remember at the time thinking they had a bloody cheek.

Quote Originally Posted by Carheenlea View Post
    Over in Ireland it’s only the big teams in England that folk seem to support. Never met one who didn’t “support” the likes of Manchester United/City and Liverpool from the comfort of the armchair or barstool. Galway United then rarely attract over 4 figures for their home games. I can never take them seriously with their football chat, which is only ever a chat about three or four big English teams.
    Every time you listen to a radio phone in or watch interviews outside Anfield or Old Trafford you will invariably end up with some guy from the ROI talking about how 'we' are going to get on ... fanboys the lot o' them.

Growing up in the 80s there were always lots of kids wearing Liverpool shirts in Edinburgh. That was because of Dalglish and the big Scottish connection Liverpool had so I guess some of that has continued .
    Having worked & travelled abroad there are three teams from the UK I heard discussed over and over. Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. Nobody else came close* In terms of size.

*yes this even excluded our needy soap avoiding hoopy pals from Weegieland
    Last edited by AndyM_1875; 28-05-2018 at 06:23 AM.

@hibs.net private member Carheenlea's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    Every time you listen to a radio phone in or watch interviews outside Anfield or Old Trafford you will invariably end up with some guy from the ROI talking about how 'we' are going to get on ... fanboys the lot o' them.
    Even the back pages of their newspapers, and sports reports on TV and radio are dominated by the EPL big guns. Radio sports show on a Saturday afternoon has live commentary from Man U/ Liverpool etc. When any of the family are over here they are always amazed at how little media coverage the EPL gets in our newspapers and on Radio Scotland.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyM_1875 View Post
    Growing up in the 80s there were always lots of kids wearing Liverpool shirts in Edinburgh. That was because of Dalglish and the big Scottish connection Liverpool had so I guess some of that has continued .
    Having worked & travelled abroad there are three teams from the UK I heard discussed over and over. Liverpool, Manchester United and Arsenal. Nobody else came close* In terms of size.

*yes this even excluded our needy soap avoiding hoopy pals from Weegieland
    That cant be right the OLD Firm are a global brand and villages all over the world stop what they are doing to watch or listen in when a match is on, Chick Young told me.

We skied more than played football! I blame the Anfield rap for making all these 1980s Swedish kids who couldn't speak a word of English into Liverpool fc fans🙈

Blog Entries

I have no interest in English football and I hate to hear Scottish people running down Scottish football. It might not be as good but the passion here is unbeatable. Really annoys me, why would anyone follow an English team when they could follow Hibs?

Lived in Ireland for a bit and it used to do my head in regarding the attitude to football over there - Scottish football is treated with total contempt save a few token Celtic fans. All of them supporting Liverpool, Man United or basically a Premier League giant. If you mentioned Galway or Cork City they would have no idea what you were on about. Zero passion for their own leagues. Most people regarded Hibs as some kind of amateur side - my wife is Irish and when we met she didn’t believe Hibs were Professional and trained full time!

Was in Malones as well (sounds like it was full of Hibees!). Great atmosphere.