hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Hybrid View

@hibs.net private member

Edinburgh Liverpool fans.

I was in Malone's tonight as part of an old-age stag do. I was really confused.

The place was absolutely jumping - I mean jumping - with hundreds and hundreds of Scottish Liverpool fans (there was a sign saying Edinburgh Liverpool Supporters Club or something similar).

Anyway, the were going for it like laldy, mad shouting and singing like you would do for the team you love ie like Hibs.

But I am genuinely confused. Are people really that enthralled by English football? Personally I couldn't care less.

Do they watch this instead of Scottish football, or as well?

If a Scottish team was in a European final (unlikely, I know), would Liverpool bars be full of English fans supporting them? Obviously not. Bloody weird.

Can someone explain this to an old, confused Hibby please?

Dunno, but in my experience a lot of middle aged folk support Liverpool in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunno, but in my experience a lot of middle aged folk support Liverpool in Scotland.
    and there’s a very good reason for those demographics.

its the same reason you’ll find man utd fans all over the place in their 20s and 30s.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Yes they are. I’ve had many an argument with that sort as they are the first to say Scottish football is tam kite. They don’t accept they are part of the problem.

Why don't they follow Rotherham?

Or Chesterfield?

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    Why don't they follow Rotherham?

Or Chesterfield?
    You answered your own question why would you?
    I followed Liverpool when Dalglish moved there as hoped as a terrific Scottish player he would be an good replacement for Keegan. I later married a scouser and live down there. Follow Liverpool fortunes but my heart and passion is most definitely Hibs.

Left by mutual consent!
    There seems to be a lot like that and for me it's just weird, unless someone has been brought up supporting another team it's just weird and reeks of "look at how cool I am".

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    I was in Malone's tonight as part of an old-age stag do. I was really confused.

The place was absolutely jumping - I mean jumping - with hundreds and hundreds of Scottish Liverpool fans (there was a sign saying Edinburgh Liverpool Supporters Club or something similar).

Anyway, the were going for it like laldy, mad shouting and singing like you would do for the team you love ie like Hibs.

But I am genuinely confused. Are people really that enthralled by English football? Personally I couldn't care less.

Do they watch this instead of Scottish football, or as well?

If a Scottish team was in a European final (unlikely, I know), would Liverpool bars be full of English fans supporting them? Obviously not. Bloody weird.

Can someone explain this to an old, confused Hibby please?
    Liverpool have fans all over the world, it stands to reason that they choose to meet in order to watch a major final with like minded people.Many of them also support and follow a team in the country that they live. There would have been Hibees and Jambos amongst that crowd in Malones tonight.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Liverpool have fans all over the world, it stands to reason that they choose to meet in order to watch a major final with like minded people.Many of them also support and follow a team in the country that they live. There would have been Hibees and Jambos amongst that crowd in Malones tonight.
    They were all Scottish. And fully dressed up in Liverpool shirts. It was the extent of the thing that baffled me.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    They were all Scottish. And fully dressed up in Liverpool shirts. It was the extent of the thing that baffled me.
    As I said lots of fans all over the world including Scots. The turn out when I attend the Liverpool legends events in Edinburgh are also mostly Scots.

Was there tonight myself. Great atmosphere. Went mostly to support my 3 mates who are big Liverpool fans. All 3 are die hard Hibs and Hearts fans. So I don’t see why supporting an English team makes Scottish football any worse?

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Was there tonight myself. Great atmosphere. Went mostly to support my 3 mates who are big Liverpool fans. All 3 are die hard Hibs and Hearts fans. So I don’t see why supporting an English team makes Scottish football any worse?
    I didn't say it made anything worse. I just said it confused me. I don't care about English football - the money puts me off - but I can understand why some, especially young, folk, like it. But dressing up in Liverpool shirts, hat, and scarves just confused me. Are they English supporters then? Very odd.

@hibs.net private member brythehibby's Avatar
    I’ve been a member of the supporters club and it’s not all Scottish boys. Quite a few Irish and English as well. As Scouse says Liverpool have a massive following. The supporters club organised the event so that all the guys from Edinburgh and the lothians could watch it together. Know loads of folk in there that go to Hibs (and other teams) games every week and Liverpool games when they can as well.

Meh. Best thing about the coverage was the Hibs pendants during the Carlsberg adverts.

Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Meh. Best thing about the coverage was the Hibs pendants during the Carlsberg adverts.
    Yes for me to

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Very true about the global support for Liverpool. We are in Kiev for the weekend and found the city to be full of Liverpool fans. Most, if not all, of the Scousers we encountered before the match had tickets and were headed for the stadium.

When we watched the match in a bar, I was amazed how many were supporting Liverpool. Most, I suspect, were locals from Kiev. At our table, there was a Dubai-based Indonesian and a Ukrainian, both of whom had Liverpool tops on. They were very knowledgable about Liverpool and the English Premier League.

Liverpool are absolutely massive.

They've always had fans from everywhere, and there will be a good few in Edinburgh too.

I have a few mates who have English teams and they are very passionate about them. I don't personally follow an English team but don't see any harm in it.

Man utd, Liverpool & Arsenal are more supported in Sweden & Norway than local teams. Fact.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    Man utd, Liverpool & Arsenal are more supported in Sweden & Norway than local teams. Fact.
    It is indeed a fact. It's not a good fact, 'though, is it?

It is indeed a fact. It's not a good fact, 'though, is it?
    That's life of being from a small country.

Don’t see a problem with it most pubs every Sunday during the football season have folk cheering on there favourite English team.

I’m “middle aged” & have always looked out for Liverpool’s results over the years. Growing up Kenny Dalgleish was & arguably is the only world class player Scotland has ever produced so as a young Laddie there was always an interest. Hansen, Souness (I know, but before he was a Hun) all added to my interest as I loved the Scotland players back then. Tonight I watched the game for the same reason, Andy Robertson is everything that’s right about football in general. Juergen Klopps acknowledgment of Bales finish was also a touch of class. I wouldn’t sit in a bar with a Liverpool shirt on & kid on they were my team but I definitely have a soft spot for them.

@hibs.net private member WeAreHibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stax View Post
    I’m “middle aged” & have always looked out for Liverpool’s results over the years. Growing up Kenny Dalgleish was & arguably is the only world class player Scotland has ever produced so as a young Laddie there was always an interest. Hansen, Souness (I know, but before he was a Hun) all added to my interest as I loved the Scotland players back then. Tonight I watched the game for the same reason, Andy Robertson is everything that’s right about football in general. Juergen Klopps acknowledgment of Bales finish was also a touch of class. I wouldn’t sit in a bar with a Liverpool shirt on & kid on they were my team but I definitely have a soft spot for them.
    Denis Law?

Quote Originally Posted by Ram Yer 1902 View Post
    Denis Law?
    Fair point.

It was organised by Edinburgh’s Kop/Auld reekie reds. A lot of them are from Scotland and only support Liverpool. Although a few have Scottish
    teams inall. Most of them aren’t even from Edinburgh tbf.

Liverpool are my English team and I thought it was a great atmosphere. Liverpool are a global brand. They lost tonight and I was gutted but I would feel a lot worse if Hibs lost.
    Last edited by CorrieHibs; 26-05-2018 at 11:18 PM.

People just want to be a part of something significant. If you have sod all to do with the city of Liverpool then there’s no real reason for supporting them.

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose. I appreciate I’m heavily out numbered as I have loads of mates who support English teams as their first choice (never ones like Carlisle or S****horpe oddly enough lol)

Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    People just want to be a part of something significant. If you have sod all to do with the city of Liverpool then there’s no real reason for supporting them.

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaststandee View Post
    😂

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post

IMO it’s fake and has no real credibility but hey, each to their own I suppose. I appreciate I’m heavily out numbered as I have loads of mates who support English teams as their first choice (never ones like Carlisle or S****horpe oddly enough lol)
    This. We moan about folk in Edinburgh, Aberdeen etc. supporting one of the ugly sisters so I don't see how supporting an English team without a genuine connection is any better.

Like there are other teams in the world who's results I look out for but they come a very very distant second to Hibs. Fine to have some kind of affinity for other teams but mental to live in Scotland and support Liverpool unless you're from there.

Stuff like that is what's ruining the game