hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
    @hibs.net private member

Edinburgh Liverpool fans.

I was in Malone's tonight as part of an old-age stag do. I was really confused.

The place was absolutely jumping - I mean jumping - with hundreds and hundreds of Scottish Liverpool fans (there was a sign saying Edinburgh Liverpool Supporters Club or something similar).

Anyway, the were going for it like laldy, mad shouting and singing like you would do for the team you love ie like Hibs.

But I am genuinely confused. Are people really that enthralled by English football? Personally I couldn't care less.

Do they watch this instead of Scottish football, or as well?

If a Scottish team was in a European final (unlikely, I know), would Liverpool bars be full of English fans supporting them? Obviously not. Bloody weird.

Can someone explain this to an old, confused Hibby please?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Dunno, but in my experience a lot of middle aged folk support Liverpool in Scotland.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Yes they are. I’ve had many an argument with that sort as they are the first to say Scottish football is tam kite. They don’t accept they are part of the problem.

Why don't they follow Rotherham?

Or Chesterfield?

Left by mutual consent!
    There seems to be a lot like that and for me it's just weird, unless someone has been brought up supporting another team it's just weird and reeks of "look at how cool I am".

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cat Stanton View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was in Malone's tonight as part of an old-age stag do. I was really confused.

The place was absolutely jumping - I mean jumping - with hundreds and hundreds of Scottish Liverpool fans (there was a sign saying Edinburgh Liverpool Supporters Club or something similar).

Anyway, the were going for it like laldy, mad shouting and singing like you would do for the team you love ie like Hibs.

But I am genuinely confused. Are people really that enthralled by English football? Personally I couldn't care less.

Do they watch this instead of Scottish football, or as well?

If a Scottish team was in a European final (unlikely, I know), would Liverpool bars be full of English fans supporting them? Obviously not. Bloody weird.

Can someone explain this to an old, confused Hibby please?
    Liverpool have fans all over the world, it stands to reason that they choose to meet in order to watch a major final with like minded people.Many of them also support and follow a team in the country that they live. There would have been Hibees and Jambos amongst that crowd in Malones tonight.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    Liverpool have fans all over the world, it stands to reason that they choose to meet in order to watch a major final with like minded people.Many of them also support and follow a team in the country that they live. There would have been Hibees and Jambos amongst that crowd in Malones tonight.
    They were all Scottish. And fully dressed up in Liverpool shirts. It was the extent of the thing that baffled me.

Liverpool are absolutely massive.

They've always had fans from everywhere, and there will be a good few in Edinburgh too.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    Dunno, but in my experience a lot of middle aged folk support Liverpool in Scotland.
    and there’s a very good reason for those demographics.

its the same reason you’ll find man utd fans all over the place in their 20s and 30s.

They were all Scottish. And fully dressed up in Liverpool shirts. It was the extent of the thing that baffled me.
    As I said lots of fans all over the world including Scots. The turn out when I attend the Liverpool legends events in Edinburgh are also mostly Scots.

I have a few mates who have English teams and they are very passionate about them. I don't personally follow an English team but don't see any harm in it.

@hibs.net private member brythehibby's Avatar
    I’ve been a member of the supporters club and it’s not all Scottish boys. Quite a few Irish and English as well. As Scouse says Liverpool have a massive following. The supporters club organised the event so that all the guys from Edinburgh and the lothians could watch it together. Know loads of folk in there that go to Hibs (and other teams) games every week and Liverpool games when they can as well.

Man utd, Liverpool & Arsenal are more supported in Sweden & Norway than local teams. Fact.

Was there tonight myself. Great atmosphere. Went mostly to support my 3 mates who are big Liverpool fans. All 3 are die hard Hibs and Hearts fans. So I don’t see why supporting an English team makes Scottish football any worse?

Meh. Best thing about the coverage was the Hibs pendants during the Carlsberg adverts.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    Man utd, Liverpool & Arsenal are more supported in Sweden & Norway than local teams. Fact.
    It is indeed a fact. It's not a good fact, 'though, is it?

Quote Originally Posted by HibbiesandtheBaddies View Post
    Meh. Best thing about the coverage was the Hibs pendants during the Carlsberg adverts.
    Yes for me to

Don’t see a problem with it most pubs every Sunday during the football season have folk cheering on there favourite English team.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Was there tonight myself. Great atmosphere. Went mostly to support my 3 mates who are big Liverpool fans. All 3 are die hard Hibs and Hearts fans. So I don’t see why supporting an English team makes Scottish football any worse?
    I didn't say it made anything worse. I just said it confused me. I don't care about English football - the money puts me off - but I can understand why some, especially young, folk, like it. But dressing up in Liverpool shirts, hat, and scarves just confused me. Are they English supporters then? Very odd.

It is indeed a fact. It's not a good fact, 'though, is it?
    That's life of being from a small country.

I didn't say it made anything worse. I just said it confused me. I don't care about English football - the money puts me off - but I can understand why some, especially young, folk, like it. But dressing up in Liverpool shirts, hat, and scarves just confused me. Are they English supporters then? Very odd.
    Why would they support England just because they follow Liverpool? I am English, live in Edinburgh, have a Hibs season ticket but I don't support Scotland. England all the way for me in international football.

I’m “middle aged” & have always looked out for Liverpool’s results over the years. Growing up Kenny Dalgleish was & arguably is the only world class player Scotland has ever produced so as a young Laddie there was always an interest. Hansen, Souness (I know, but before he was a Hun) all added to my interest as I loved the Scotland players back then. Tonight I watched the game for the same reason, Andy Robertson is everything that’s right about football in general. Juergen Klopps acknowledgment of Bales finish was also a touch of class. I wouldn’t sit in a bar with a Liverpool shirt on & kid on they were my team but I definitely have a soft spot for them.

If it was Malones and they were supporting Liverpool there is a very good chance that they weren't Scottish. The majority of them were probably Irish. For some reason a lot of Irish football fans support Liverpool and Man United. I suppose it's probably because they don't have a decent league of their own to follow.

Go in to Malones when Celtic are on sky/BT. You'll see and hear dozens of people with irish accents living in Edinburgh that support celtc. Going past that bar on weegie derby day you'd think Edinburgh was celtc mad.

GLORYHUNTERS

Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy69 View Post
    GLORYHUNTERS
    Everyone's a gloryhunter.

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    Everyone's a gloryhunter.
    OK boss

@hibs.net private member Biggie's Avatar
    For me, it's down to Dalglish.....quite simply Scotland's greatest ever player and arguably liverpools greatest player.
    Used to get my mum to record MOTD on a Saturday night to watch him tear up the English league....followed them since.
    "I don't have any regrets about not moving during my playing career. I was born a Hibee, my dad was a Hibee, I will stay a Hibee and I'll die a Hibee." -Lawrie Reilly

No problem with folk who have an English team and follow their fortunes. When I'm in Liverpool I usually try to catch an Everton game if I can and have a wee soft spot for them. I'm pretty sure if I lived down south I would go and see a local team fairly regularly.

BUT ...... Folk who follow English teams to the exclusion of having a Scottish club can GTF ... they aren't even worth calling glory hunters, they are worse than that, they think that Scottish football isn't good enough for them 'too small time' ... well if it is its because of folk like them, they are beneath contempt and a hundred of them aren't worth the steam off the pish of the most casual East Fife or Dumbarton supporter.

Apart from that they have my total respect

I`m quite surprised to read this thread since it`s nothing new . In the late 1960s when I started going to matches and early 1970s fans at ER would follow other matches first of all on half time score board and on radio ( BBC Scotland mainly but by early 70s some were already listening for English results on BBC2 ) but by late 1970s there was a Manchester United Supporters Club in Edinburgh with a bus going to a lot if not all home games ( going on what people I happened to meet in pubs in Edinburgh told me - all Scottish football supporters including some who considered themselves Hibernian supporters ) . So it`s nothing new though obviously Sky has created generations ( in plural already ) of fans who have a serious interest in English clubs which I agree is something I find hard to understand . I`m obviously not talking about Hibernian supporters from outside Scotland / Ireland who also follow another club from England or elsewhere in the world . In my case I`ve watched Spanish clubs in almost every match in a season in divisions from equivalent of 1st to 3rd tier but never put it before Hibs , in fact Hibs TV has meant I only go to 3 or 4 Spansh League matches ( various divisions ) per season . If Hibs Under 20 team had been broadcast on Hibs TV tonight I would have watched it before CL final

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by IberianHibernian View Post
    I`m quite surprised to read this thread since it`s nothing new . In the late 1960s when I started going to matches and early 1970s fans at ER would follow other matches first of all on half time score board and on radio ( BBC Scotland mainly but by early 70s some were already listening for English results on BBC2 ) but by late 1970s there was a Manchester United Supporters Club in Edinburgh with a bus going to a lot if not all home games ( going on what people I happened to meet in pubs in Edinburgh told me - all Scottish football supporters including some who considered themselves Hibernian supporters ) . So it`s nothing new though obviously Sky has created generations ( in plural already ) of fans who have a serious interest in English clubs which I agree is something I find hard to understand . I`m obviously not talking about Hibernian supporters from outside Scotland / Ireland who also follow another club from England or elsewhere in the world . In my case I`ve watched Spanish clubs in almost every match in a season in divisions from equivalent of 1st to 3rd tier but never put it before Hibs , in fact Hibs TV has meant I only go to 3 or 4 Spansh League matches ( various divisions ) per season . If Hibs Under 20 team had been broadcast on Hibs TV tonight I would have watched it before CL final
    Hi. Nice Post. And I get all that. My confusion was the extent of it. It wasn't just a pile of folk shouting for Liverpool once the game started. It was Scottish folk, fully clad in all the Liverpool gear, singing and chanting for hours that this was their team.

It just confused me - have they no interest in any Scottish team at all? Presumably not, which was just a surprise to me.