hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Quote Originally Posted by WestEndHibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What he’s failed to acknowledge though is that the manager’s tactics have won them another champions league. Regardless of whether he thought he should have started, his team won. Shockingly self centred.
    Not knocking Zidane (you can't sneeze at 3 back to back CL) but in relation to Bale it was hardly a tactical masterclass.

He has two really high quality players in Isco and Bale.
    He started one and brought the other on from the bench after 60 minutes.

At best that's a fairly standard decision (especially given Bale has pace).
    At worst he benched the guy in good form and played Isco who was fairly average.

Definitely not buying into any BS like he did it to keep Bale "hungry".

Like I say - not knocking Zidane but calling that bit good management is, imo, reading something into it after the fact.

As for Bale's comments - don't have a problem with them.
    Good players - especially forwards - tend to have large egos and confidence....part of what makes them the players they are.

Guy isn't there to be some kind of role model. He's there to pull **** like that overhead kick.
    That's why I watch football.

What's more of a problem for me is teams like Real and Man City having world class talent sitting on the bench.
    A player like Bale *should* be playing week in week out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    He got asked the question and gave an honest answer, no harm in that.

Bale for me is one of the most talented players in the world who's recognition has been dampened by a lack of game time. Those final few years at Spurs were different class and he now is a 4x Champions League winner.

3rd best player in the world imo

@hibs.net private member
    I thought it was poor IMO. Sounds like someone has spent too much time playing alongside Ronaldo and developed a severe case of narcissism.

Bale is clearly a very, very good player and won them the final but he hasn't been great for Real this season. As others have said the manager has made a decision to put him on the bench and ultimately its paid off - they've won the game.

I think it's really poor for any footballer to come out with those comments just after winning a Champions League final. Particularly as he's been saying all season that he loves it there and wants to stay.

He is absolutely right to feel aggrieved about being on the bench but should keep that private and not air his dirty laundry in public.
    Last edited by neil7908; 27-05-2018 at 12:21 AM.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    I’ll contradict what I said earlier... Zidane seemed offended by the suggestion that Bale’s first goal tonight might be considered better than his at Hampden. I think there might be a personality clash there. Bale might be better out of there.

Bale is an excellent player, one of the very best, and his first goal was breathtaking. But I'm different from some of the others on this thread- it wasn't down to any particularly masterful tactical decisions by Zidane; it was down to 2 major ****ups by the Liverpool goalkeeper. Pity Salah got injured, Liverpool were well on top when that happened.

Not looked at the thread. If you score a goal line that in a European cup final then you can do, or say, whhatever the hell you want!

Incredible!

@hibs.net private member
    Heard he's joining hearts. 3 year deal.

Quote Originally Posted by Greencore View Post
    Heard he's joining hearts. 3 year deal.
    Don't know who your sauce is but it's wrong.

It's 4 years with an option of a 5th.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Correct and he’s bang on by doing so. Clever guy if you ask me.
    Not so much. He will get the same offers no matter what he says. Why not have money and class?

Bale and Zidane hate each other. It’s no surprise he is leaving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I don’t think there was anything wrong with what he said. He’s a professional footballer who wants to play football week in week out. I think he’s probavky annoyed that he feels that he’s got to prove himself maybe more than others in the team.

It’s also up to Madrid and Zidane to manage the players expectations better.

No matter what happened it was likely he’s leaving Madrid this summer anyway. What a final game.

I was thinking that I could see him doing well at Liverpool.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ryan69 View Post
    Be critical all you want,3 years running hes done it as a manager.
    Has any other manager even won Champions league 3 times..Never mind in a row???
    I’m not sure I would credit Zidane with all those achievements, he may be managing but his tactics have left a bit to be desired, look at their league form this year and a lot of their champions league performances. I think they were lucky to even be in the final this year and were outplayed in the final for almost all of the game. Had Liverpool not had a clown in goals they may have won last night. And I’m a Man U fan so don’t put it down to Liverpool tinted glasses.

Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    I’m not sure I would credit Zidane with all those achievements, he may be managing but his tactics have left a bit to be desired, look at their league form this year and a lot of their champions league performances. I think they were lucky to even be in the final this year and were outplayed in the final for almost all of the game. Had Liverpool not had a clown in goals they may have won last night. And I’m a Man U fan so don’t put it down to Liverpool tinted glasses.
    He probably told the players to pressure the keeper. 3 CL titles and a La Liga doesn't happen by accident.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Might be the beers fogging my memory, but sure someone said he had scored 4 in last 5 before last night's final.

He might be rightly questioning why he was on the bench.

One thing's for sure, he won't be there next year.

@hibs.net private member R'Albin's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Razza96
    He actually had the decency to speak to Karius after the game - unlike the rest of the Liverpool team.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michael View Post
    He probably told the players to pressure the keeper. 3 CL titles and a La Liga doesn't happen by accident.
    A good manager can make a great team, but a great team can make a good manager.

Anybody that just won the Champions League and decides to make it "all about me" is surely just a total d1ck and deserving of criticism.

Over-paid and spoilt prima-donna.

Thought Madrid were comfortable for the majority of the match TBH. Certainly not outplayed.

They were outplayed for 25 minutes.

Once Salah went off, Madrid were comfortable.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Anybody that just won the Champions League and decides to make it "all about me" is surely just a total d1ck and deserving of criticism.

Over-paid and spoilt prima-donna.
    TBH, overpaid certainly applies to the vast majority of players.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by hibee View Post
    I thought he was refreshingly honest in his interview and seemed genuinely gutted that he’s having to leave to get a regular game.
    Me too, he was asked the question and he gave an honest answer. Watch Time for Heroes and all the players on the bench talk about their disappointment in not starting.

Players get slated for having no ambition and being happy to sit on the bench with big wages but as soon as they make noises about needing to move for regular game time they’re selfish and arrogant and all the rest of it

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    Me too, he was asked the question and he gave an honest answer. Watch Time for Heroes and all the players on the bench talk about their disappointment in not starting.

Players get slated for having no ambition and being happy to sit on the bench with big wages but as soon as they make noises about needing to move for regular game time they’re selfish and arrogant and all the rest of it
    Totally correct!!!

What's wrong nowadays is that the bigger teams in Europe are buying up all the biggest name players and the more they have the more that will have to sit on the bench for weeks at a time?

With winning the Champions League again means that Real will be buying up some more world renowned names, and they or another renowned name will have to sit on the bench on occasion?

Its great to be in that situation if its your team, but talented players will always gripe when not getting a game, and it could end up exploding in the dressing room and causing to much friction that taints the team!!!

Quote Originally Posted by WestEndHibee View Post
    What he’s failed to acknowledge though is that the manager’s tactics have won them another champions league. Regardless of whether he thought he should have started, his team won. Shockingly self centred.

What tactics? A rugby tackle on Salah to injure his shoulder and a Keeper who made two huge errors which will cost him his job at the club.

For what its worth I don't think Zidanes a great manager. Fair play to him winning the champions league 3 times in a row but if you follow La Liga you'll know that since coming into the club 2.5 years ago absolutely none of his signings have been anywhere near a resounding success. He's been struggling to balance game time for some of these players and when they leave he can't replace him well enough. First it was James Rodriguez, now Pepe's gone, Khedira left on a free early on in his reign. He now has an ageing squad that is either wanting a final pay day or more game time somewhere else. Madrid need to be careful because although they're on top at the moment you can see issues opening up.

Bale saved Zidanes job last night, he might not be so lucky next season.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    TBH, overpaid certainly applies to the vast majority of players.
    The vast minority in Scotland

Isco has been one of the main men for Madrid a while now and I prefer him to Bale.

I’ve never taken to Bale as a person really.

But **** me what a goal that was. Absolutely terrific.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by R'Albin View Post
    He actually had the decency to speak to Karius after the game - unlike the rest of the Liverpool team.
    Pretty surprising for a guy making everything all about him and who has no class.

First Team Regular
    Overpaid? 460k per week.

The issue? Zidane asked him to do some tracking back