hibs.net Messageboard

Official Site: HIBERNIAN V REAL MADRID AND LIVERPOOL

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Why was the capacity reduced to 30,000 for the R Madrid game?

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Blimey, I got very excited there thinking we had just lined up a pre-season friendly this summer against these two sides!

Quote Originally Posted by hfc rd View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Blimey, I got very excited there thinking we had just lined up a pre-season friendly this summer against these two sides!
    Madrid offered but we chose Linlithgow

It wasn’t -that’s badly worded.It was However all ticket and quite a few supporters didn’t fancy paying six bob so the crowd was around 30,000.No doubt those that decided not to go would spend the next fifty years telling people they were there much like the 100,000 at the 7-0 game

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    The match against Real Madrid was a novelty and a masterstroke psychologically by Jock Stein as it gave his new found charges a self belief who knows what heights he could have taken us to as without doubt at that time our star was shining brighter than Celtics.

My recollection of the European ties against Liverpool leave a bad taste in the mouth as Willie MacFarlane lost his job for refusing to leave two players out of the squad for the first leg tie at ER at the request of Tom Hart shades of Potter and a few years later Eddie Turnbull omitted Pat Stanton from the second leg out of petulance followed later by Stanton’s transfer to Celtic.
    Last edited by BILLYHIBS; 26-05-2018 at 05:08 PM. Reason: spelling

@hibs.net private member
    I just looked randomly on gumtree for anything Hibs related and I came across a guy selling loads of old programmes.

One batch was about 10 European games and one was the Real Madrid game. Was amazing reading the programme.

Only paid £50 for the 10-absolute bargain!!