hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Coaching Staff
    There appears to be a bit of a crossover by some between the words “expectations” and “hopes”

The way I see it....

Celtic...will probably win the league but will be pushed harder
    Rangers...will get a short term boost by borrowing and be improved on this season
    Aberdeen...will be around the top three places
    hertz......done little by way of recruitment to make me think they will be much different to how they finished, but it must be remembered there is no Cathro Bonus next season, so expect them to marginally improve.
    Killie......they will have lost the ‘surprise’ factor and hover around sixth place with Motherwell..

Us?

Really too early too say......none of us can confidently predict which players we will or won’t have, so the volatility barometer is in danger of swinging either way.

We could, depending on the next few weeks be a team largely in transition, or a settled side looking to progress.

If we make the top four again, then in my book it will have been a successful season, but that could change, as I say due to player movement.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Forza Fred View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There appears to be a bit of a crossover by some between the words “expectations” and “hopes”

The way I see it....

Celtic...will probably win the league but will be pushed harder
    Rangers...will get a short term boost by borrowing and be improved on this season
    Aberdeen...will be around the top three places
    hertz......done little by way of recruitment to make me think they will be much different to how they finished, but it must be remembered there is no Cathro Bonus next season, so expect them to marginally improve.
    Killie......they will have lost the ‘surprise’ factor and hover around sixth place with Motherwell..

Us?

Really too early too say......none of us can confidently predict which players we will or won’t have, so the volatility barometer is in danger of swinging either way.

We could, depending on the next few weeks be a team largely in transition, or a settled side looking to progress.

If we make the top four again, then in my book it will have been a successful season, but that could change, as I say due to player movement.
    Neil Lennon wont settle on finishing fourth. We've had a great season, next season must be better.

Top four and a cup final would be good. satisfactory. Punching our weight.

I’m looking for some progress in Europe. Our long term goal should be to regularly make the group stages of the Europa league. It’s an ambitious goal and we’re probably a few years away from it yet. It’s bloody difficult with the qualifiers being pre-season for us.

So for now I’d like to see us win a couple of ties and restore some credibility after the Malmo debacle.

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    2nd or 3rd plus a cup win. Playing same entertaining football as last season.
    Perfect for me!

League cup to mean we’ve won both domestic trophies in the space of 3 seasons

Cut out the daft draws and we have nothing to fear from Celtic and The Rangers

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Top four and a cup final would be good. satisfactory. Punching our weight.

I’m looking for some progress in Europe. Our long term goal should be to regularly make the group stages of the Europa league. It’s an ambitious goal and we’re probably a few years away from it yet. It’s bloody difficult with the qualifiers being pre-season for us.

So for now I’d like to see us win a couple of ties and restore some credibility after the Malmo debacle.
    Surely we did that against Brondby?

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Surely we did that against Brondby?
    We did sir.

And I was proud of them. But I still can’t remember the last time we went into Europe and didn’t fail at the first hurdle. Must be 25 years?

Some progress in Europe would be a giant step forward for us and not beyond our grasp. Would really like to see this.

@hibs.net private member Pagan Hibernia's Avatar
    We did sir.

And I was proud of them. But I still can’t remember the last time we went into Europe and didn’t fail at the first hurdle. Must be 25 years?

Some progress in Europe would be a giant step forward for us and not beyond our grasp. Would really like to see this.
    Financially it would be huge. And in the unlikely event of making the group stage it would be a game changer for the club

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onion View Post
    https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...base-1-4744562

Is Murdo right, do we really expect Hibs to get 2nd place next season ?

Personally, would be happy with consolidating our top 4 place and a cup final.
    Six games in Europa League qualifiers. 3rd/4th, league cup semi/final, Scottish cup semi/final and a good show by the unders in the challenge cup.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    I think we might take a step backwards this year. We're looking at potentially losing the core of a good team and replacing them will take more than 1 seasons. Hope I'm wrong but I can't see how we can improve on what we might lose.

We did sir.

We got through a round in the Intertoto Cup in 2006-07 against Dinaburg.

In terms of the UEFA Cup/Europa League, the last time we won a tie was in 1989-90 against Videoton.

However to put that into some kind of context, in the 29 years since then, we have only qualified for that tournament on six previous occasions. We have gone on to lose to Anderlecht (away goals), AEK Athens (extra time), Dnipro (5-1), Maribor (6-2), Malmo (9-0) and Brondby (penalties).

There's some mixed outcomes in there. The Maribor and Malmo games came when we were particularly bad as well. We all know what happened the season we played Malmo and the year we played Maribor we finished 10th.

I think we have a great shot at winning a round this year. We would almost certainly be unseeded in the second round so that would be a lot harder but we'll just need to see what happens.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir

Expectations for 2018/19 ?

In terms of the UEFA Cup/Europa League, the last time we won a tie was in 1989-90 against Videoton.

However to put that into some kind of context, in the 29 years since then, we have only qualified for that tournament on six previous occasions. We have gone on to lose to Anderlecht (away goals), AEK Athens (extra time), Dnipro (5-1), Maribor (6-2), Malmo (9-0) and Brondby (penalties).

There's some mixed outcomes in there. The Maribor and Malmo games came when we were particularly bad as well. We all know what happened the season we played Malmo and the year we played Maribor we finished 10th.

I think we have a great shot at winning a round this year. We would almost certainly be unseeded in the second round so that would be a lot harder but we'll just need to see what happens.
    I think if we get most of the team back that we finished the season with, the continuity along with Lennon’s coaching ability at that level makes me hopeful that we could have a very good go at the Europa league qualifying.

He nearly had us putting Brondby our after a month in charge, what will he be able to do 2 years down the line with a semi settled squad?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Big_Franck View Post
    He's wrong, we as a support don't expect second next season. We would be stupid and arrogant to expect 2nd with Sevco and Aberdeen's budgets.

What I expect is for us is to dominate Hertz again, be challenging in the top 4, get to Hampden again and hopefully qualify for the Europa League again. That would be a good season.
    Completely agree with this. At the start of last season I told my mates I would be happy with top 6, turns out we're much better than that.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Top 4 and good cup run minimum expectation.

2nd would be outstanding.

Would hope for at least one semi final, but would expect at least one quarter final. Obviously a cup win would be amazing but I'd never seta cup win as an expectation.

Same as last season and don't think I'd complain, while 2nd or 3rd would have been amazing I'd be lying if I didn't say I really enjoyed it. Overall one of my best as a Hibs supporter.

Fill in the North East corner and make it the new Family Section.

Move all the ST holders currently in the FF Lower into that corner.

Convert FF Lower to proper terracing (no 'rail seating') and designate it as the Singing Section.

Beat Hearts every time we play them.

Oh and don't get relegated

Testimonial Due Tha Cabbage Kid's Avatar
    I expect no less that the treble. And a 8-0 versus the jams. And if we don't achieve that we need to get rid of Lennon and bring in a better manager!

Sent from my XT1068 using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member
    I'd be quite happy with the same again in terms of League position and one semi final, Europe would be a bonus. What I would like is that the football of the second half of the season is what we play all year. We were very easy on the eye after Allen, Flo and McLaren joined and that hasn't necessarily been a feature of Lennon's teams. Much will depend on personnel but our budget says around 4th so that is fine by me. If we can do that playing the brand of football we saw at the tail end of the year then I'll be more than happy with that.

Would be happy with the Scottish cup and a top 5 finish. Would cap this season

Quote Originally Posted by Easter Rising View Post
    Financially it would be huge. And in the unlikely event of making the group stage it would be a game changer for the club
    I agree. If we can make the group stages that would give us a fantastic financial boost. I think it could be possible if we can keep DM and bring in an good experienced midfielder. And experienced striker.

I think the difference this year is we have a manager who is experienced in European games. When was the last manager who had his kind of experience??

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    top 4 minimum should be at least the target every single year

@hibs.net private member mutley's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: mutley074
    Honestly, for me 3rd, with a cup. I would love to see 2nd and pushing Celtic t the edge for 1st, but we have done so much better last season that I expected I would have been happy with top 6 but the way the team / manager got results, for a minute I thought 2nd was in the bag.

3rd and a cup would be progress on 17/18, and the 19/20 I hope Hibs really push the boat out and go for it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Hibernian should always be challenging for a Euro place

My expectations are never to predict what Hibs will end up doing, but we as a club should always be going for a place in one of the European competitions no more and no less.

The two defeats from Dnipro and Maribor can be put into perspective though ... That was right at the start of a big improvement in Ukrainian football, its no joke drawing one of their clubs in Europe these days, and Maribor went on to be decent in Europe on a regular basis.

Making the Europa league group stages would be massive for us, the ticket sales, prize money and TV revenue would blow anything we have earned previously out of the water. A site called 'Total Sportek' gives the prize money breakdown as follows:

Ist qualifying round ....... 215,000 Euros
    2nd qualifying round ...... 225,000 Euros
    3rd qualifying round ....... 220,000 Euros

Group stages ..... 2,600,000 Euros ( guaranteed )
    For winning a game .... 360,000, Euros
    For a draw .... 120,000 Euros

If we made it to the group stages and won every home game and drew all our away games in the group with the prize money from qualifying we would earn 4,700,000 Euros and that's just in prize money ..... say we played to full houses in our third qualifying game and all the group games at an average of £25 a ticket, that would be another £2,000,000

For first place in a group you earn a bonus of 600,000 Euros ... for 2nd its 300,000

Get to the group stages and finish 2nd if you chuck in 15,000 crowds for qualifying rounds one and two you could be walking away with about £7,000,000 ...... that's a game changer for a club like us

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: SAKSxCORE PSN ID: SlickShoes
    As a fan top 4 finish, with a cup final and europe would be a great season.

The players and manager should be trying to win every competition they are in.

I'd be very disappointed if we finished mid table.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    The two defeats from Dnipro and Maribor can be put into perspective though ... That was right at the start of a big improvement in Ukrainian football, its no joke drawing one of their clubs in Europe these days, and Maribor went on to be decent in Europe on a regular basis.

Making the Europa league group stages would be massive for us, the ticket sales, prize money and TV revenue would blow anything we have earned previously out of the water. A site called 'Total Sportek' gives the prize money breakdown as follows:

Ist qualifying round ....... 215,000 Euros
    2nd qualifying round ...... 225,000 Euros
    3rd qualifying round ....... 220,000 Euros

Group stages ..... 2,600,000 Euros ( guaranteed )
    For winning a game .... 360,000, Euros
    For a draw .... 120,000 Euros

If we made it to the group stages and won every home game and drew all our away games in the group with the prize money from qualifying we would earn 4,700,000 Euros and that's just in prize money ..... say we played to full houses in our third qualifying game and all the group games at an average of £25 a ticket, that would be another £2,000,000

For first place in a group you earn a bonus of 600,000 Euros ... for 2nd its 300,000

Get to the group stages and finish 2nd if you chuck in 15,000 crowds for qualifying rounds one and two you could be walking away with about £7,000,000 ...... that's a game changer for a club like us
    All sounds wonderful and no harm I’m positivity but I think we need to take one step at a time. The reality is that no Scottish club, outside of Celtic, have made it past the qualifiers for over five years. I do think NL is capable of stearing us forward but l let’s do little steps first. 👍🏻

Quote Originally Posted by CentreLine View Post
    All sounds wonderful and no harm I’m positivity but I think we need to take one step at a time. The reality is that no Scottish club, outside of Celtic, have made it past the qualifiers for over five years. I do think NL is capable of stearing us forward but l let’s do little steps first. 👍🏻
    I know mate, I was just musing .... If Neil Lennon could take us as far as 2nd in a Europa league group he should be knighted and the ground named after him and a statue put up, and the Nobel peace prize ... in fact give him the lot