hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No doubt, many will see it as a price worth paying, and many more will simply discount the possibility. However these groups arent the ones who need to be convinced.

Personally speaking, i would need enormous reassurance to even consider moving my pension, savings etc out of sterling, and i suspect many more would do the same - i cant see how huge capital flight could be avoided, putting any new currency on the defensive from the outset?
    I wish I'd moved mine years back.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    I think the size of the effect on the balance of trade would be too much for them to risk.
    Possibly, you might be right. But they would be losing it anyway, it would just be a question of when.

@hibs.net private member johnbc70's Avatar
    There seems to be a distinct lack of enthusiasm from our normal SNP supporters about this paper.

Quote Originally Posted by johnbc70 View Post
    There seems to be a distinct lack of enthusiasm from our normal SNP supporters about this paper.
    Well, I think it is the best thing ever. That do? :-)

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Maybe they're busy reading it.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;5414731]
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    This new currency, according to the reports I have read and heard, would only be introduced after about 10 years and only if economic tests were met.

And in the meantime some sort of Scottish pound would be the currency?

We would have just exited from the UK and they would be looking for a clean break from us while we seek to belligerently name our stand alone currency as the 'Scottish Pound' solely it would seem to pretend to a number of Scots who don't like change that there's nothing to see here?

The Scottish folk aren't mugs and just because a new blowing in the wind currency sounds like the old one it won't have anywhere near the previous Sterling backed authority of the Bank of England one.

Smoke and mirrors by the snp as per usual as they couldn't give a flying fig about the economy as all they care about is their beloved one size fits all independence and what would probably occur in the aftermath as in the loss of many thousands of public sector jobs, devaluation of our spending power, squeeze on benefits, imports and exports etc etc.

If they had been honest with the good Scottish folk and stated it will be difficult and the times ahead may be stormy post independence but may be worth it in the long term it may have gained credence but this is just bs from them and it looks exactly like the bs it is. They have some very bad advisors.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    Last edited by lgnsh70; 27-05-2018 at 02:01 AM.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I stand to be corrected, but there was no press conference or public event to promote the paper, as far I've seen.

It got released online etc and Wilson and Sturgeon took a photo holding a copy in front of the Parliament.

That was it.

I think that tells you all you need to know.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Quote Originally Posted by Mibbes Aye View Post
    I stand to be corrected, but there was no press conference or public event to promote the paper, as far I've seen.

It got released online etc and Wilson and Sturgeon took a photo holding a copy in front of the Parliament.

That was it.

And there was most of us probably thinking this was to promote breakaway 2. Hey maybe the old campfire is still alight and you could attend singing whatever songs it is the gaelic presbytarians abide by.

Some of us old Labour Folk know you know?

Mon the Cabbage!!!

[QUOTE=lgnsh70;5415525]
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post

And in the meantime some sort of Scottish pound would be the currency?

We would have just exited from the UK and they would be looking for a clean break from us while we seek to belligerently name our stand alone currency as the 'Scottish Pound' solely it would seem to pretend to a number of Scots who don't like change that there's nothing to see here?

The Scottish folk aren't mugs and just because a new blowing in the wind currency sounds like the old one it won't have anywhere near the previous Sterling backed authority of the Bank of England one.

Smoke and mirrors by the snp as per usual as they couldn't give a flying fig about the economy as all they care about is their beloved one size fits all independence and what would probably occur in the aftermath as in the loss of many thousands of public sector jobs, devaluation of our spending power, squeeze on benefits, imports and exports etc etc.

If they had been honest with the good Scottish folk and stated it will be difficult and the times ahead may be stormy post independence but may be worth it in the long term it may have gained credence but this is just bs from them and it looks exactly like the bs it is. They have some very bad advisors.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    No. Not a Scottish pound. The pound sterling.

It's one of the headline proposals.

@hibs.net private member ronaldo7's Avatar

That was it.

It wasn't it though, was it.

The FM did a round of interviews, both broadcast and print.

I'm sure people interested will be able to get their teeth into it after giving it a read.

It tells you all you need to know. 😃

SCOTLAND CAN.

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post

I'm sure people interested will be able to get their teeth into it after giving it a read.

It tells you all you need to know. 😃
    For something that was supposed to re-ignite the independence debate it's a bit of a damp squib.

You must be disappointed?

For something that was supposed to re-ignite the independence debate it's a bit of a damp squib.

It's a discussion document. We'll have the opportunity to discuss and change at the National assemblies. It will be open to civic Scotland and the wider yes movement, a start point if you will.

SCOTLAND CAN.

Testimonial Due

That was it.

I think the problem for the yes campsign and snp is much of the tidal wave of support for yes came from a (naive, in my view) belief that it was some sort of left leaning cause, rooted in creating some sort of anti-tory political system.

The problem with diacussinh issues like these, is that they jar with it. I believe the report points out the enormous deficit that we are already running, making spending cuts or signifcant tax rises very high on the to do list for an indy scotlands first govt.

Neither of those things is popular, or is something that sturgeon wants to dominate the debate, hence the relatively low-key launch?

If it's to kick off a debate, all sides have to be given time to read it. Otherwise, it just becomes the same old party-led entrenched knee-jerk reactions.

Debate with who exactly, with SNP party members? Don't think any are going to disagree with any of it.

Debate with who exactly, with SNP party members? Don't think any are going to disagree with any of it.
    Everybody who has an interest, of course.

There are those on either side of the debate whose views are entrenched and who won't be interested in this document. There are many in the middle, with open minds, who are willing to give it the time of day.

[QUOTE=CropleyWasGod;5414731]
    This new currency, according to the reports I have read and heard, would only be introduced after about 10 years and only if economic tests were met.

There's only 6 stringent tests to meet though. 😂

SCOTLAND CAN.

You don't know Snp party members then. The debate will be strongly contested in all areas.

Of all the reporting I've seen in the last couple of days, the BBC ones have more balance than most. This augurs well for the future, or maybe Ofcom have had a word.

SCOTLAND CAN.

And there was most of us probably thinking this was to promote breakaway 2. Hey maybe the old campfire is still alight and you could attend singing whatever songs it is the gaelic presbytarians abide by.

Some of us old Labour Folk know you know?

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    Pardon?

Oh dear, someone has been rumbled!

"A KEY section in a new SNP blueprint for independence is identical to an old report produced by a foreign Government, the Sunday Herald can reveal.

Over 950 words of a case study hailed by the SNP Growth Commission as a model for Scotland was copied and pasted from a New Zealand Treasury paper from 10 years ago, but no credit was given to the original author"

Imagine copying and pasting, he could have at least changed some of the words!

@hibs.net private member speedy_gonzales's Avatar
    Oh dear, someone has been rumbled!

"A KEY section in a new SNP blueprint for independence is identical to an old report produced by a foreign Government, the Sunday Herald can reveal.

Over 950 words of a case study hailed by the SNP Growth Commission as a model for Scotland was copied and pasted from a New Zealand Treasury paper from 10 years ago, but no credit was given to the original author"

Imagine copying and pasting, he could have at least changed some of the words!
    But ctrl-c & ctrl-v is so much easier,,,,

Quote Originally Posted by ronaldo7 View Post

It tells you all you need to know. ��
    You're usually quite good at posting links.

Fancy putting some of them up? I'm genuinely struggling to find them.

I'm interested in how she presents why this no-doubt expensive commission, well-staffed by SNP and ex-SNP folk, says that an independent Scotland will have to cut public spending for years, will be tied to a foreign currency for years, and needs to offer tax cuts to immigrants - remember, while we're cutting public spending.

All to satisfy some folk's indulgence about the colour of the flag on their passport, while in Scotland the really important things like health and education are failing massively and no one takes responsibility.

It's no wonder there was no big launch and no wonder it's being punted to 'national assemblies'. These are SNP gigs, right? Democracy in action I guess.......
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

All to satisfy some folk's indulgence about the colour of the flag on their passport, while in Scotland the really important things like health and education are failing massively and no one takes responsibility.
    For the majority of yes voters it's the important things like health and education that need a yes vote.

I'd also say that a yes vote removes the excuse of Westminster controlling spending/budgets therefore forcing ownership of responsibility.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    For the majority of yes voters it's the important things like health and education that need a yes vote.

I'd also say that a yes vote removes the excuse of Westminster controlling spending/budgets therefore forcing ownership of responsibility.
    Health and education have been in the power of Scottish government since devolution.

Once it's debated at the assemblies maybe someone can explain how we have gone from 600 better off in 2014 to 4,100 better off in 2018 if we vote yes.

I am guessing it's all down to economic growth. Might be hard when another country controls your interest rates though.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Once it's debated at the assemblies maybe someone can explain how we have gone from 600 better off in 2014 to 4,100 better off in 2018 if we vote yes.

I am guessing it's all down to economic growth. Might be hard when another country controls your interest rates though.
    Your 1st point, along with previous posts tells me you're either just reading headlines or seeing what you want to see..... It's a pity, because it takes away the focus of your whole post as your 2nd point is bang on and is exactly the sort of thing that should be debated
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Alf View Post
    Your 1st point, along with previous posts tells me you're either just reading headlines or seeing what you want to see..... It's a pity, because it takes away the focus of your whole post as your 2nd point is bang on and is exactly the sort of thing that should be debated
    I am genuinely wondering why the figure is up 500% since last time? Appreciate its the headline grabbing figure but why include it in the report if they don't want people to question it.

I think I answered my own question in that it's all down to economic growth. Kind of like saying Hibs could be in the Champions League if we can play at the same level as Real Madrid and Barcelona.

@hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    I am genuinely wondering why the figure is up 500% since last time? Appreciate its the headline grabbing figure but why include it in the report if they don't want people to question it.

I think I answered my own question in that it's all down to economic growth. Kind of like saying Hibs could be in the Champions League if we can play at the same level as Real Madrid and Barcelona.
    Yup you did indeed answer it yourself :)

Re the 500%, it's basically a comparison, I can almost guarantee there's others where it's worse!

Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar

Could it just be that our starting position is now worse compared to where we want to be - i.e. taking things back to how they were in 2014 would be beneficial to the economy.

Kind of like in 2014 Hibs just needed to be up a position in the league, but then in 2015 they needed to get up to a whole different league.
    Mon the Hibs.

Health and education have been in the power of Scottish government since devolution.
    But not the overall budget to fund them.