hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    The brog (who i love reading his posts got his timelines) wrong defo benny maybe Alex Mcdonald?another wee cheating ——

2. Log in to remove the advert

First Team Breakthrough Cheshire Hibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I still remember the Scottish cup replay against the old rangers, 49000 at the game, there was a rail strike so not as may Huns at the game but still probably 15-20000. Hibs fans (YLT) walking into them in the Dunbar end, union jacks getting burnt. Absolutely mental. Rangers win 1-0 to an absolutely dreadful penalty decision.
    That was a particularly ugly night. I have solid memories of having to walk with hordes of Rangers fans up Easter Road with others from our supporters bus whilst getting serious abuse for not singing their filth. The biggest crowd I was ever part of at Easter Road.

Going back to the 72 cup final, enjoyed looking at that movie link and trying to spot myself and my mate, close to the wall in what was the Schoolboys Enclosure.

@hibs.net private member Hiber-nation's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    It was a wee bit before John McDonald's time Broq.
    My old man and I squeezed into the South Enclosure. I was 10 and couldn't see a thing from start to finish.
    I always get these games mixed up.

The Cup replay was in 73 with Mickey suspended. We lost 2-1 and that wee sheidt Tommy McLean scored both, 1 was a pen but I can't remember who dived for it. As you say, before McDonald's time. The crowd trouble was bad but probably not as bad as the Dryburgh Cup game at the start of that season when most of the Cave got on the pitch at HT for a mass brawl.

http://www.ihibs.co.uk/hibs/game.php?gameid=78001
    http://www.fitbastats.com/rangers/game.php?gameid=78001

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Remember it well, though was 2-1 to the Huns, thanks as you say to John McDonald's ludicrous dive. We had already lost John Brownlie to a broken leg & even though Alex Edwards was booked in the same game on 6 Jan, his 6 week suspension didn't kick in until nearly 2 months later, surprisingly, just before The Rangers cup tie!
    Match was 28/2/73 2-1 to Rangers McLean scored twice one penalty though I do not think it was the game that John Macdonald should have been booked for simulation. My brother caught him in the coupon with a pie five minutes later. I remember one game versus the Hun in the early 1970s it was an early kick off due to power cuts Alex Edwards walked over the top of Alex Macdonalds prostrate body and started heading for the tunnel without even waiting for the card.Those games were particularly tasty no quarter given.Indeed John Blackley said in a recent interview that he had gone through the back of Derek Parlane and while he was receiving treatment John Greig said to him He’ll he back you know and he replied Aye, and I will be right here waiting! Quality!

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Surprised to see Schaedler going down injured at one point. To me he was an Iron Man and never recall ever seeing him injured in all my fifty years of supporting the cabbage.
    I seem to recall a match at ER where Schaedler received oxygen on the pitch? Anyone remember that?

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post

The Cup replay was in 73 with Mickey suspended. We lost 2-1 and that wee sheidt Tommy McLean scored both, 1 was a pen but I can't remember who dived for it. As you say, before McDonald's time. The crowd trouble was bad but probably not as bad as the Dryburgh Cup game at the start of that season when most of the Cave got on the pitch at HT for a mass brawl.

IIRC it was Alex McDonald who took a dive for the penalty. Pretty sure he played in that game

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Match was 28/2/73 2-1 to Rangers McLean scored twice one penalty though I do not think it was the game that John Macdonald should have been booked for simulation. My brother caught him in the coupon with a pie five minutes later. I remember one game versus the Hun in the early 1970s it was an early kick off due to power cuts Alex Edwards walked over the top of Alex Macdonalds prostrate body and started heading for the tunnel without even waiting for the card.Those games were particularly tasty no quarter given.Indeed John Blackley said in a recent interview that he had gone through the back of Derek Parlane and while he was receiving treatment John Greig said to him He’ll he back you know and he replied Aye, and I will be right here waiting! Quality!
    John Greig would know all about JB right enough, here's one of my favourites, JB doing a bit of walking away hun style. He was a great footballer and could take care of himself.
    Attached Images Attached Images

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    The brog (who i love reading his posts got his timelines) wrong defo benny maybe Alex Mcdonald?another wee cheating ——
    Apologies, I actually missed the 1-2 game as I was away on a course in England. Had been at Ibrox on the Sat when we were robbed also. John McD was many years later. So many different Huns diving for pens it's easy to get mixed up! Anyone remember McCoist's dive, with no one near him in the infamous Souness game? Also re John Blackley, I read the ref's report after he was sent off at Ibrox, Tommy McLean had just scored a clearly offside winner. Sloop told the lino to stick his F*****g orange flag up his F*****g orange a**e!! We didn't appeal the red card!

I was at the game where McDonald dived for the penalty but my first ever game was in '79, so defo not the 1973 replay

"John McDonald took a dive,
    E- I- E- I- O"
    Last edited by Keith_M; 26-05-2018 at 10:24 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hiber-nation View Post

I was on the pitch at that particular brawl. One of quite a few at that game!

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Apologies, I actually missed the 1-2 game as I was away on a course in England. Had been at Ibrox on the Sat when we were robbed also. John McD was many years later. So many different Huns diving for pens it's easy to get mixed up! Anyone remember McCoist's dive, with no one near him in the infamous Souness game? Also re John Blackley, I read the ref's report after he was sent off at Ibrox, Tommy McLean had just scored a clearly offside winner. Sloop told the lino to stick his F*****g orange flag up his F*****g orange a**e!! We didn't appeal the red card!
    Offside was an under statement was standing leaning against the post talking to our goalkeeper with his carpet slippers on while smoking a cigar the only outfield player in our half an absolute disgrace quite the norm at the time that and last minute penalties awarded to the Ugly Sisters.

The cop shop inside the old stand

Quote Originally Posted by Hillsidehibby View Post
    I was on the pitch at that particular brawl. One of quite a few at that game!
    I don't think it should be underestimated just how much trouble was at the games against either of the Glasgow filth.
    It got so bad at one stage that Hibs built and opened up a Polis Station in the old west stand complete with cells, think it was officially opened on Xmas day 1971 in a game against the old Sevco, Hibs battered them all over the whole game only for Colin Stein to score for them in the last minute.
    I only saw the first half. Was not unusual to see some of the great unwashed walking down the terrace at some of the games around this time with knives and machetes out, the *******s got just as much back with some terrible scenes in the cave at them games and after, long before mobile phones or social medja.
    Safety of us supporters seemed to take a back seat to the politics of the day, not perfect but much better today at games.

Quote Originally Posted by A Hi-Bee View Post
    I don't think it should be underestimated just how much trouble was at the games against either of the Glasgow filth.
    It got so bad at one stage that Hibs built and opened up a Polis Station in the old west stand complete with cells, think it was officially opened on Xmas day 1971 in a game against the old Sevco, Hibs battered them all over the whole game only for Colin Stein to score for them in the last minute.
    I only saw the first half. Was not unusual to see some of the great unwashed walking down the terrace at some of the games around this time with knives and machetes out, the *******s got just as much back with some terrible scenes in the cave at them games and after, long before mobile phones or social medja.
    Safety of us supporters seemed to take a back seat to the politics of the day, not perfect but much better today at games.
    I was at the Xmas day game and I have always believed that Stein didn't know much about the goal as it came off his backside.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Hibby View Post
    I was at the Xmas day game and I have always believed that Stein didn't know much about the goal as it came off his backside.
    It came from a corner, their only one of the game, in the 90th minute. We totally dominated & had countless corners.

@hibs.net private member eastterrace's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheshire Hibby View Post
    I was at that game and we murdered them and they got a last minute jammy goal. Also always trouble when that lot came thru back then scary times

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    I was at the game where McDonald dived for the penalty but my first ever game was in '79, so defo not the 1973 replay

"John McDonald took a dive,
    E- I- E- I- O"
    Eric Stevenson used to dive too.

It's old hat.

It came from a corner, their only one of the game, in the 90th minute. We totally dominated & had countless corners.
    Very true but Stein didn't know much about it, it came of his backside.