hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Did the whole trip on 15 bob as a young teenager, stood in the covered end crammed in with 35k Hibs fans and a lot of Celtic fans too. Was chaos most of the time trying to watch the game and avoid the bottles and cans at the same time. Main memory was Dixie Dean hat-trick, the plumes of choking dust every 10 mins after a goal was scored and the impressive noise of 70k Celtic fans singing right at the end when it was 6-1, only time we heard them. That Celtic team was one of the best in Europe at the time.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Maybe not quite at the same level but the violence at games when I first started attending in the late 70s-early 80s was quite brutal. Visits of Rangers and Celtc obviously being the worst.

I realise it's frowned on to say this but that was a very large part of the motivation behind Hibs, and supporters of other clubs, organising hooligan gangs of our own, to be able to fight back against those idiots.

It really was no fun standing on the old east terracing with bottles and cans raining down on you from the Rantic Fans at the back of the terrace. Or going to an unsegregated Celtc Park and being spat on and attacked before, during and after the game.

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Maybe not quite at the same level but the violence at games when I first started attending in the late 70s-early 80s was quite brutal. Visits of Rangers and Celtc obviously being the worst.

I realise it's frowned on to say this but that was a very large part of the motivation behind Hibs, and supporters of other clubs, organising hooligan gangs of our own, to be able to fight back against those idiots.
    Was standing on the East when CS gas canister thrown
    It really was no fun standing on the old east terracing with bottles and cans raining down on you from the Rantic Fans at the back of the terrace. Or going to an unsegregated Celtc Park and being spat on and attacked before, during and after the game.
    Was standing on the East when CS gas canister was thrown by Celtic animals took hooliganism to a frightening new level and yes I have been one of the few hundred Hibees at Celtic Park standing beside a member of the Glasgow Polis getting hit on the legs with long cane with a nail on the end from the Celtic end and the Constable in question refusing to do anything about it as I had an Edinburgh accent.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Where have all the Bootboys gone?

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    Where have all the Bootboys gone?
    All in carpet slippers now, or them special shoes with velcro instead of laces.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mick O'Rourke View Post
    What a remarkable piece of film that is.(even if the title is wrong)
    Thanks for that. Had never seen it before.
    Much more for the non football footage.
    Fans getting huckled and marched round the track.
    The demon drink,eh?
    Celebrities on stretchers !

Any younger Hibernians in doubt about our so called "love in" with the club we helped found in the East End of Glasgow should be reminded that during that period, and there were a few Cup finals against Celtic,including League Cups and 2 Dryburgh Cup finals.
    At all of them there was violence inside and outside Hampden.
    As someone else stated,in the so called Rangers End,the support was mixed,throwing bottles up into the roof/steel structures to shatter and land on us was not uncommon. Although their own supporters got hit as well.
    I have never forgotten when leaving Hampden after our League Cup victory in '72,a drunken Celtic"fan"was randomly waving an open razor at anyone close to him.
    I was with my two younger brothers and an assortment of the Clerry Jungle(Hibs section)
    Razor man was on the deck quicker than you could say "short back and sides ,please!"
    Frightening though ,looking back.
    The film posted here has brought back so many memories of following Hibernian away in my youth.

Happy Days !!
    Some maybe best forgotten though !
    Rantics visits to Easter Road were always interesting as our fans were no angels back then
    Last edited by Ringothedog; 24-05-2018 at 04:10 PM.

First Team Regular
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post

😂

Quote Originally Posted by Ray-in-ireland View Post
    I was the same age and equally sober. The Celtic fans were either side of a large section of the 50K Hibs fans, [what would now be called the singing section], that were estimated to have travelled through for the game in the covered section, known as the Rangers end. They were throwing bottles up to the stanchions/girders where they were smashing and raining down on the Hibs support. The Hibs fans reversed the postion for the Dryborough & league cup finals.
    I remember them throwing bottles into the roof to break them as well.

At the League Cup Final as we were leaving they were following us out ably abetted by Strathclyde's finest (some things never change) and I got hit on the shoulder by a bottle. Bus got tanned as well.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    Was standing on the East when CS gas canister was thrown by Celtic animals took hooliganism to a frightening new level and yes I have been one of the few hundred Hibees at Celtic Park standing beside a member of the Glasgow Polis getting hit on the legs with long cane with a nail on the end from the Celtic end and the Constable in question refusing to do anything about it as I had an Edinburgh accent.
    It has to be said that my late brother was a copper and he always said they returned the compliment whenever the great unwashed visited Tynie or ER. He quite enjoyed it in a way cops nowadays can only imagine. ;-)

Quote Originally Posted by Bostonhibby View Post

I know a couple of the old Clerry boys who might resemble that remark

But i wouldn't tell them that...even now

Violence back then was to say the least.... very bad.
    The "pavement dancers" of later years don't know the half of it.
    And thats not "nostalgia" saying that. It is a fact.
    It was frightening,particularly through in Glasgow.
    You could do one of two things.
    Fight or flee,because PC Oanyerway and his pals wirnae really awe that interested.
    They usually turned up after the damage was done and then hassle or arrest the victims/complainants.
    Last edited by Mick O'Rourke; 24-05-2018 at 06:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by crewetollhibee View Post
    All the better without some Oxbridge accent commenting over it like a British Pathe newsreel. Remember my Dad and me left at 4-1 and heard a giant roar and assumed that was it finished ,4-1. Another 100 yards or so, another roar.....well I guess you know where this is going !! Yes I was there 1972 😉
    Was in the huns end with my dad and brother my dad spent more time shielding us from bottles rather watching the game.We left at 4-1 and the crush at the top of the stand leading to stairs I honestly thought i would die.

I was there too, what a crowd! I was hit by a bottle after the 1-1 semi final against the Hun! I needed stitches on my face and throat. Thrown through the bus window, punishment for actually drawing with them! Sorted that out in the replay!
    Final was men against boys, which was so dissapointing having a team like we did then! But Selic always got the upper hand against us then!

How come we appear to be shooting the same way in both halves?

@hibs.net private member BILLYHIBS's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brianmc View Post
    How come we appear to be shooting the same way in both halves?
    I said that in my OP. HIBS actually attacked the Celtic end first half and turned around 1-2 Alan Gordon netting for us. Jumped around with glee as a fourteen year old would surrounded by Celtic in the Rangers our end.

Quote Originally Posted by BILLYHIBS View Post
    I said that in my OP. HIBS actually attacked the Celtic end first half and turned around 1-2 Alan Gordon netting for us. Jumped around with glee as a fourteen year old would surrounded by Celtic in the Rangers our end.
    👍

Left by mutual consent! majorhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ringothedog View Post
    Rantics visits to Easter Road were always interesting as our fans were no angels back then
    We weren’t angels, but never as bad as them. The treatment received at away games, no way could they receive as bad as that due to numbers, but when they came to ours, there was plenty of us with more than genuine grievances on our minds.

@hibs.net private member Ringothedog's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by majorhibs View Post
    We weren’t angels, but never as bad as them. The treatment received at away games, no way could they receive as bad as that due to numbers, but when they came to ours, there was plenty of us with more than genuine grievances on our minds.
    I still remember the Scottish cup replay against the old rangers, 49000 at the game, there was a rail strike so not as may Huns at the game but still probably 15-20000. Hibs fans (YLT) walking into them in the Dunbar end, union jacks getting burnt. Absolutely mental. Rangers win 1-0 to an absolutely dreadful penalty decision.

I was there that day with my sister and our Celtic-supporting Dad.

We must have looked so utterly miserable by the end because our poor dad didn't celebrate and even looked equally miserable (although deep down he must have been delighted).

Remember driving back to Edinburgh and it absolutely poured down the whole way.

Had I known it would be another 44 years before we actually lifted the damn thing, well, no wonder Leith chose the motto it did.

#Persevere.

Blog Entries
    I still remember the Scottish cup replay against the old rangers, 49000 at the game, there was a rail strike so not as may Huns at the game but still probably 15-20000. Hibs fans (YLT) walking into them in the Dunbar end, union jacks getting burnt. Absolutely mental. Rangers win 1-0 to an absolutely dreadful penalty decision.

Remember it well, though was 2-1 to the Huns, thanks as you say to John McDonald's ludicrous dive. We had already lost John Brownlie to a broken leg & even though Alex Edwards was booked in the same game on 6 Jan, his 6 week suspension didn't kick in until nearly 2 months later, surprisingly, just before The Rangers cup tie!

I was one of the many who couldn't get into Easter Road that night as it was already jam packed. Horrible feeling walking away from Easter Road as I have my doubts that it was being screened on the telly.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Remember it well, though was 2-1 to the Huns, thanks as you say to John McDonald's ludicrous dive. We had already lost John Brownlie to a broken leg & even though Alex Edwards was booked in the same game on 6 Jan, his 6 week suspension didn't kick in until nearly 2 months later, surprisingly, just before The Rangers cup tie!
    It was a wee bit before John McDonald's time Broq.
    My old man and I squeezed into the South Enclosure. I was 10 and couldn't see a thing from start to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Was it not benny who never touched the wee diving cheat

Quote Originally Posted by WoreTheGreen View Post
    Was it not benny who never touched the wee diving cheat
    Different game, different era!

Did j mcdonald play against us with Brownlie etc ?

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Did j mcdonald play against us with Brownlie etc ?
    I wouldn’t have thought so. I played against Macdonald when I was 12/13. He played for Leeds Utd boys club, and was the most sought after talent in the west of Scotland at that time
    Also think he’ll be around 7/8 years younger than John B

It was defo benny and Syme could have been the corrupt ref

Are folk getting mixed up with the replay at Easter Road in 1973 and 1979?

Yes j mcd won the most ridiculous cheating penalty ever against benny

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Yes j mcd won the most ridiculous cheating penalty ever against benny
    But not in the 70s.

It was a League game in the 80s at ER. Gordon Rae scored for us. Jim Bett for them. Then the penalty.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

First Team Regular
    Remember going to 1974 league cup final 6-3 was about 14 ... lots of bother ... even when winning !!!!