hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Is it necessary to ritually slag off every former Hibs player who makes a move?

Not Hibs class!

It is something we should expect from the puddledrinkers from across the City.
    You’re absolutely right but if they’re especially useless and a big part of relegating the club then exceptions can be made.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    You’re absolutely right but if they’re especially useless and a big part of relegating the club then exceptions can be made.
    Michael Nelson was never a "big part" of relegating the club, what a load of tosh

Blame Butcher, Marsella and Malpas for that.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member .Sean.'s Avatar
    Up there with the worst I’ve seen at Easter Road. Hopeless.

He was passed it when he pitched up here about 5? year ago so God knows how ***** he’ll be now.
    ''It's always been just part of the culture. Growing up, for most working-class kids, is all about football, music or clothes. You might not have much money, but whatever you have got, you're going to look good.'' - Paul Weller

Him and Ryan McGivern at the back was a strikers wet dream.

Quote Originally Posted by Eaststandee View Post
    Him and Ryan McGivern at the back was a strikers wet dream.
    you beat me to it! Nelson might of been something but McGivern is quite possibly the worst player I’ve ever seen play for us.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Michael Nelson was never a "big part" of relegating the club, what a load of tosh

It’s a cop out to deflect all the blame on to the management. The team on the pitch had their part to play and Nelson was pisher than most, particularly in the play off second leg when his inept passing kept the pressure on us when all we had to do was hold a 2-0 advantage at home to Hamilton Accies. Him and McGivern were comically bad in the run in to relegation when all we had to do was not lose.

Exactly. He was ok in a mediocre side sitting relatively comfortably in mid-table before Butcher etc lost the plot. Good professional who always gave 100%; delighted we've moved up several levels in quality since, but can't really see the pleasure anyone gets from using the fact Nelson's still trying to make a living out of the game as an excuse to vilify him. Strange behaviour.

@hibs.net private member
    Fair play to him to still be playing at 38 years old. I'm sure he'll be fine in the 5th tier of English football.

There were people cheering in the east stand when he was sent off v Partick towards the end of that season. We played better with ten men IIRC. Brutal player

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    My memory is that he wasn’t great and he wasn’t abysmal, at a time when the level of the team was a lot lower than it is now.

He definitely wasn’t Usain Bolt, no one is suggesting that. I can’t remember ever faulting his commitment though.

And by virtue of his moniker he commanded the nickname “The Admiral” which is worthy in its own right
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member Mikey_1875's Avatar
    Dont remember him being as bad as some are making out. Gave his best while here and wish him well at new club.

@hibs.net private member Winston Ingram's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by jgl07 View Post
    Is it necessary to ritually slag off every former Hibs player who makes a move?

Not Hibs class!

It is something we should expect from the puddledrinkers from across the City.
    Only the really really ***** ones.

There were worse under both managers tbh.
    he was absolutely hopeless, honking is being kind.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jakedance View Post
    It’s a cop out to deflect all the blame on to the management. The team on the pitch had their part to play and Nelson was pisher than most, particularly in the play off second leg when his inept passing kept the pressure on us when all we had to do was hold a 2-0 advantage at home to Hamilton Accies. Him and McGivern were comically bad in the run in to relegation when all we had to do was not lose.
    After Butcher took off Heffernan and left only an eighteen year old up front the entire defense and midfield had nothing to aim at so we sat stupidly deep for a lot of the game and invited pressure onto us.

Nelson was reasonable if not "good" under Fenlon and for the most part under Fenlon McGivern was a decent player - think back to the Wotherspoon derby, he absolutely dominated the Hearts attack that game. Butcher demolished the confidence and tactics of the squad, Malpas the fitness (the man who "didn't need sports science") and Marsella the youth team and recruitment.

I put the blame of relegation entirely and 100% on those three. Their records don't lie.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    There were people cheering in the east stand when he was sent off v Partick towards the end of that season. We played better with ten men IIRC. Brutal player
    Remember it well, we looked watertight when he went off and played less punts up the park.

@hibs.net private member
    He was actually okay with Hanlon beside him, he was an easy scape goat though for the boo boys.

When Hanlon got injured and he was paired with McGivern everything went to pieces

Quote Originally Posted by Mikey_1875 View Post
    Dont remember him being as bad as some are making out. Gave his best while here and wish him well at new club.
    Neither do I recall him being bad. It has become a 'Hibs-net' fact.

He made 37 appearances in his one season. This hardly suggests he was a complete disaster.

There were plenty of others including a couple of current first team regulars associated with the relegation year.

Quote Originally Posted by MWHIBBIES View Post
    Like everyone else he was fine until Butcher came in.
    He was never fine. Paul Hanlon has had to play with some right guff in his time.

Quote Originally Posted by TelaStella View Post
    you beat me to it! Nelson might of been something but McGivern is quite possibly the worst player I’ve ever seen play for us.

McGivern was at least passable on his loan spell. Once he signed permanently he was awful though.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Michael Nelson was ok at winning headers. That aside he was dreadful with the ball at his feet, caught out of position regularly and could barely run. So aye...he was decent for us right enough.

Quote Originally Posted by TelaStella View Post

Wouldn't make the top 50 honestly. Was actually good during his loan spell.

What a horrible time it was to be following Hibs. Nelson was many of the duffers we had to endure. Like now, had a season ticket and never missed a home game. Spent most of my time watching the clock waiting for the final whistle to be blown. It was that bad. Could have lay down on the empty seats beside me and had a nap. Counting sheep would have been more exciting. Did some away games as well including an end of season up Dingwall. Another depressing performance getting beat 1-0. There were free haggis rolls on offer but being a veggie I had to do with a bag of crisps. A long trip back home as well.

Nelson was rubbish but he was surrounded by below average players. Butcher and Malpas certainly didn't get the best out of any of them.

Compare then to now. Prime fillet steak and scragend.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Steve Marcella is now Killie's Head of Recruitment. Be interesting to see who they bring in this summer.

id have him and murdock any day at back

First Team Breakthrough GillyHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    They were that good that I got on the end of a few

Brilliant

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Steve Marcella is now Killie's Head of Recruitment. Be interesting to see who they bring in this summer.
    Wow!

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by PatHead View Post
    Wow!
    To be fair it was McCulloch who brought him in, not Steve Clarke!

The revisionism here is absolutely on the part of those saying "he wasn't that bad."

He was a dreadful footballer and one of the biggest reasons for our relegation outwith Butcher and co.

Anyway, I don't need to be bitter about it anymore, it all worked out for the best.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    The revisionism here is absolutely on the part of those saying "he wasn't that bad."

He was a dreadful footballer and one of the biggest reasons for our relegation outwith Butcher and co.

Anyway, I don't need to be bitter about it anymore, it all worked out for the best.
    He was absolutely appalling. There was literally nothing good about him as a player. You may as well defend wasps, or headaches, or Michael mcintyre.

Coaching Staff
    He was assistant manager at Barnet as well as a player, until they brought a new manager in, in a last ditch attempt to avoid relegation.

He must be about 37 now, and irrespective of what we may think of his ability or lack of, he’s made a good living out of football.