hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 60 of 60

Thread: The "N" word

  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,889
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think anyone is making an argument for saying that the "n" word is acceptable.

    I think people are simply highlighting the hypocrisy of someone who is criticising the use of the "n" word but has a history of using racial slurs against white people.
    And so I guess my point is , iWhite peopleís experience with racism is getting offended by some terms in occasional songs, a black man or woman. has had to deal with prejudice everyday of their existence - there really is no comparison...


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think anyone is making an argument for saying that the "n" word is acceptable.

    I think people are simply highlighting the hypocrisy of someone who is criticising the use of the "n" word but has a history of using racial slurs against white people.
    He didn't criticise her. He asked her not to sing the word. There's a difference.

    In hindsight, I am guessing he realises that he has made better decisions, though.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by CropleyWasGod; 26-05-2018 at 11:26 AM.

  4. #33
    @hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    33
    Posts
    1,240
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And so I guess my point is , iWhite peopleís experience with racism is getting offended by some terms in occasional songs, a black man or woman. has had to deal with prejudice everyday of their existence - there really is no comparison...
    Of course thereís still racism in the world, but I think itís pushing it to claim ďa black man or woman has to deal with prejudice everyday of their existenceĒ in 2018. Particularly in the context of Kendrick Lamar who is a multi millionaire thanks to his fans of all colour.

  5. #34
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,889
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Of course thereís still racism in the world, but I think itís pushing it to claim ďa black man or woman has to deal with prejudice everyday of their existenceĒ in 2018. Particularly in the context of Kendrick Lamar who is a multi millionaire thanks to his fans of all colour.
    Ask some of your back or minority friends and colleagues views..racism
    Is still alive and kicking in 2018....And Kendrick wasnít born an international superstar - his views will be formed from his life experiences. And often people will still first see the colour of his skin ....

  6. #35
    Testimonial Due One Day's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Location
    here and there
    Age
    61
    Posts
    1,050
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, if he doesn't want people singing a word then he shouldn't put in his lyrics.

    Not really, she was asked to sing a song of his choosing with words of his choosing - I would say she's pretty blameless.
    So would I

  7. #36
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,832
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    And so I guess my point is , iWhite peopleís experience with racism is getting offended by some terms in occasional songs, a black man or woman. has had to deal with prejudice everyday of their existence - there really is no comparison...
    Do you not think racism exists where white people are the minority?

    That said anyone who thinks racism and casual racism donít exist in the white western world population because itís 2018 is way off the mark. Itís not as prevalent for sure but itís still there.

    As for the OP itís just silly really....while the N word is without doubt racist it should be the artist perpetuating its use that should be getting pelters not the poor fan. And if itís in the damn song then itís in the damn song and if you happen to be at the concert where the song is being played AND asked by the artist to sing it then itís beyond parody for her to castigated for singing it because of her colour.


    Iím also not sure you can be offended by the use of a word when you use that word yourself. Itís a bit like catholics appropriating the word Fenian and using it to refer to themselves in popular culture.

  8. #37
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,889
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by RyeSloan View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Do you not think racism exists where white people are the minority?

    That said anyone who thinks racism and casual racism donít exist in the white western world population because itís 2018 is way off the mark. Itís not as prevalent for sure but itís still there.

    As for the OP itís just silly really....while the N word is without doubt racist it should be the artist perpetuating its use that should be getting pelters not the poor fan. And if itís in the damn song then itís in the damn song and if you happen to be at the concert where the song is being played AND asked by the artist to sing it then itís beyond parody for her to castigated for singing it because of her colour.


    Iím also not sure you can be offended by the use of a word when you use that word yourself. Itís a bit like catholics appropriating the word Fenian and using it to refer to themselves in popular culture.
    I don't see racism against white people as a real thing.... Racism is based on deep systemic oppression on the back of centuries of power over the black race.....as far as any history I've read there has never been an equivalent where white people have never been persecuted for the colour of our skinó there is literally no comparison..none..

    We are talking about the hurt of slavery, theft of land, culture, identity, empire building over centuries etc etc. These abuses of power over generations is what is part of black identity today -we can't look at the world through their eyes or feel the way they feel..What a white person may suffer is completely different , they may be very occasionally hurt by some words...it is in no way the same....




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,428
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see racism against white people as a real thing.... Racism is based on deep systemic oppression on the back of centuries of power over the black race.....as far as any history I've read there has never been an equivalent where white people have never been persecuted for the colour of our skinó there is literally no comparison..none..

    We are talking about the hurt of slavery, theft of land, culture, identity, empire building over centuries etc etc. These abuses of power over generations is what is part of black identity today -we can't look at the world through their eyes or feel the way they feel..What a white person may suffer is completely different , they may be very occasionally hurt by some words...it is in no way the same....




    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I have experienced racism many times, particularly in African countries. It takes many forms, from fear of difference, to assumptions about ways of life. Flip that over, and there is little difference from some of the prejudices minorities in this country encounter.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

  10. #39
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,889
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have experienced racism many times, particularly in African countries. It takes many forms, from fear of difference, to assumptions about ways of life. Flip that over, and there is little difference from some of the prejudices minorities in this country encounter.

    Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    I lived in a number of East African countries during the 90s and never once experienced any sort of racism...I'm sure you also encountered in Africa, your white skin resulting in you to get better service and attention than many locals....very common in Africa...anyway, if you read my point I still propose that there is a incomparable difference from the experience that minorities have suffered over centuries and individuals since their birth is compared to occasional encounters white people experience in different countries..


    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

  11. #40
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't see racism against white people as a real thing.... Racism is based on deep systemic oppression on the back of centuries of power over the black race.....as far as any history I've read there has never been an equivalent where white people have never been persecuted for the colour of our skinó there is literally no comparison..none..



    Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    White farmers in South Africa.

  12. #41
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Posts
    5,889
    Blog Entries
    1
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    White farmers in South Africa.
    That may have been crime, aggression , violence. But that is not racism - it was about taking back what they felt had been stolen from them in the first place

    Im not talking about acts against white people - of course there will be some examples - Iím saying there has been no systemic racism against the white race. None

  13. #42
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Antwerp
    Posts
    8,407
    Just watched xzibit, wc and ice cube perform for a day time tv show.

    Somehow didn't swear or drop the n word once.

    I'm sure a college age white girl has it sooooo much tougher though.
    Last edited by Onceinawhile; 27-05-2018 at 07:23 AM.

  14. #43
    Testimonial Due Stranraer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    1,142
    Blog Entries
    6
    I hear Pusha T has used the word "cracker" in his new song. Thoughts?

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    22,428
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hear Pusha T has used the word "cracker" in his new song. Thoughts?
    Frank Carson will be rolling about in his grave.

  16. #45
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I hear Pusha T has used the word "cracker" in his new song. Thoughts?
    Not racist. You canít be racist to white people dontcha know? Something to do with us already being more privileged than anyone else so weíre fair game.

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44472277

    .... and in other news, Edward II reportedly made racist comments against the Scots in July, 1314. Shame on him.
    How far back do we go? Should we be judging someone's comments made almost 100 years ago on the values of today?
    Last edited by snooky; 14-06-2018 at 10:09 AM.

  18. #47
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,106
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-44472277

    .... and in other news, Edward II reportedly made racist comments against the Scots in July, 1314. Shame on him.
    How far back do we go? Should we be judging someone's comments made almost 100 years ago on the values of today?
    Just because an attitude was acceptable 100 or 700 years ago doesn't make it right.

    Slavery was legal 200 years ago and everyone who could afford to had a slave. That doesn't mean it was acceptable, then or now.

  19. #48
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just because an attitude was acceptable 100 or 700 years ago doesn't make it right.

    Slavery was legal 200 years ago and everyone who could afford to had a slave. That doesn't mean it was acceptable, then or now.
    I'm not saying it was right. There was a difference in what sort of everyday language was in vogue through various bygone eras.
    Inversely, what's acceptable now (which I don't like) is the level of swearing and explicit sex & violence that is on TV and in movies these days. Take that back to the 50's and they would be banned and/or jailed. My point being - different times, different standards, different rules.

    Were we all wrong last year for driving at 30mph in the recent newly created 20mph zones?
    Silly question I know, however used to illustrate my point.
    Last edited by snooky; 14-06-2018 at 01:17 PM.

  20. #49
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just because an attitude was acceptable 100 or 700 years ago doesn't make it right.

    Slavery was legal 200 years ago and everyone who could afford to had a slave. That doesn't mean it was acceptable, then or now.
    It was acceptable, though, up until the time that people stopped accepting it.
    Last edited by lapsedhibee; 14-06-2018 at 12:24 PM.

  21. #50
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,657
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was acceptable, though, up until the time that people stopped accepting it.
    I don't think people should be judged too harshly on their actions in the past when things were, broadly, acceptable.


    In 100 years they might have completely outlawed the killing/eating of animals - the concept of steakhouses and burger restaurants an indictment of the reprehensible early 21st century. No matter how acceptible and tasty these things are today.
    Mon the Hibs.

  22. #51
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think people should be judged too harshly on their actions in the past when things were, broadly, acceptable.


    In 100 years they might have completely outlawed the killing/eating of animals - the concept of steakhouses and burger restaurants an indictment of the reprehensible early 21st century. No matter how acceptible and tasty these things are today.
    在一百年中,我们都会用中文写作
    Last edited by snooky; 14-06-2018 at 04:44 PM.

  23. #52
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,106
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It was acceptable, though, up until the time that people stopped accepting it.
    I don't think the slaves ever accepted it.

  24. #53
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the slaves ever accepted it.
    What makes you say that?

  25. #54
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,744
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    在一百年中,我们都会用中文写作
    Totally.

  26. #55
    @hibs.net private member wpj's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    london
    Age
    53
    Posts
    2,296
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What makes you say that?
    Dunno if this is a whoosh moment but why would anyone accept slavery and forced submission as a norm?

  27. #56
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Dunno if this is a whoosh moment but why would anyone accept slavery and forced submission as a norm?
    You possibly think that having separate bus seats for black people and white people in the US is beyond the pale, but up until Rosa Parks did her thing it was accepted, by black people and white people. I do not see the point in berating current white people because past white people accepted that system - to me that makes no more sense than berating past black people for not being Rosa Parks.

  28. #57
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,106
    Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You possibly think that having separate bus seats for black people and white people in the US is beyond the pale, but up until Rosa Parks did her thing it was accepted, by black people and white people. I do not see the point in berating current white people because past white people accepted that system - to me that makes no more sense than berating past black people for not being Rosa Parks.
    There is a massive difference between accepting something and doing it while in fear for your life.

  29. #58
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    5,848
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I don't think the slaves ever accepted it.
    Slavery was an absolute disgrace, but how do we know that the slaves didnít accept it to some extent? If it was all theyíd ever known, whatís to say they didnít just accept it as the way things are?

    Itís easy to say with hindsight that they would surely never have accepted being slaves, but if thatís what happened to everyone they knew and it was expected, they maybe werenít particularly resistant.

    Itís not really fair to hold people of the past up against modern standards. Whoís to say people in 50 years wonít be working 20 hour weeks and asking why we allowed ourselves to be enslaved by our employers for 40 hour weeks, when in reality, we donít have an issue with it. Iím obviously not comparing slavery and 40 hour weeks by the way.

  30. #59
    Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Brandenburg
    Age
    52
    Posts
    10,140
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slavery was an absolute disgrace, but how do we know that the slaves didnít accept it to some extent? If it was all theyíd ever known, whatís to say they didnít just accept it as the way things are?

    Itís easy to say with hindsight that they would surely never have accepted being slaves, but if thatís what happened to everyone they knew and it was expected, they maybe werenít particularly resistant.

    Itís not really fair to hold people of the past up against modern standards. Whoís to say people in 50 years wonít be working 20 hour weeks and asking why we allowed ourselves to be enslaved by our employers for 40 hour weeks, when in reality, we donít have an issue with it. Iím obviously not comparing slavery and 40 hour weeks by the way.
    Could the same be said for the millions of Jews who marched side by side into the gas chambers with their compatriots? They must have accepted it because it was just part of the way things were done back then.

    Ridiculous logic.

  31. #60
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by One Day Soon View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Totally.
    Thanks for making the effort. .

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved