hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The "N" word

Blog Entries

The "N" word

I see Kendrick Lamar invited a white woman on stage to perform and now there's a huge debate about white people using the "n" word.

I'm a huge Hip Hop fan but when singing lyrics I say "homie" instead.

What are peoples thoughts on this?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see Kendrick Lamar invited a white woman on stage to perform and now there's a huge debate about white people using the "n" word.

I'm a huge Hip Hop fan but when singing lyrics I say "homie" instead.

What are peoples thoughts on this?
    Was the n word in the lyrics of song?

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    I think it's ridiculous to invite someone on stage to sing one of your songs and then complain when they do. How was the girl meant to know what to do? Was she meant to slot in a different word? Just be silent? shout "BEEP"?

If you don't want people using the word, don't include it in your lyrics. Seems pretty simple to me.
    Mon the Hibs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    Was the n word in the lyrics of song?
    Yes.

Coaching Staff
    White people shouldn't use the n word. That should really be the end of it to be honest.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    I think it's ridiculous to invite someone on stage to sing one of your songs and then complain when they do. How was the girl meant to know what to do? Was she meant to slot in a different word? Just be silent? shout "BEEP"?

If you don't want people using the word, don't include it in your lyrics. Seems pretty simple to me.
    So... you're telling the guy how his lyrics should sound? There's no responsibility on the person using racial slurs here?

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    White people shouldn't use the n word. That should really be the end of it to be honest.
    Should it? The artist has divided his fans into two classes based on their colour. Black fans can sing the word. White ones can't. Certainly segregation seems to go against the ideals of hip hop songs. Unless the message is it is okay to exclude and segregate so long as it isn't to black people.

The word should either be acceptable to the artist, and ALL of his fans, in the context of his music and everyone having an equal right to enjoy it. Either that or the word is unacceptable full stop.

Generally they shouldn't, but a bit of common sense should apply to context should it not?

What can someone do when they are invited onstage to sing the lyrics of a song? There can be no racist intent in that context, surely?

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    So... you're telling the guy how his lyrics should sound? There's no responsibility on the person using racial slurs here?
    Yes, if he doesn't want people singing a word then he shouldn't put in his lyrics.

Not really, she was asked to sing a song of his choosing with words of his choosing - I would say she's pretty blameless.
    Mon the Hibs.

I only want to say the Scottish Cup is in the bag... Sir David Gray's Avatar
    If he's inviting someone on stage to sing one of his songs and that word is in it, what exactly did he expect to happen?

She's hardly going to start singing humpty dumpty.

If that word is so offensive (which I personally feel that it is) then it should be off limits to everyone, not just white people.

There's plenty people (of all races) who don't think it's right for black rappers to include that word in any of their lyrics because of how offensive it is.
    HIBERNIAN F.C. - SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016

I think he has played a blinder. As they say you can't buy publicity like that. I didn't have a Scooby who he is but now he's all over the news. He set her up and she fell for it, I feel sorry for her.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by wpj View Post
    I think he has played a blinder. As they say you can't buy publicity like that. I didn't have a Scooby who he is but now he's all over the news. He set her up and she fell for it, I feel sorry for her.
    He's one of the most successful rappers right now and won the Pulitzer price for his 2017 album "DAMN".

@hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Guys a fanny. Heís also *****.

Quite the conundrum here! Black Americans use the word in banter with each other. This began as irony and a defence mechanism against the oppressor. You could say that they "own" the word now.

Non-blacks can't even use it in reported speech or songs! I feel sorry for this lady too. She's been gulled into this.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Guys a fanny. Heís also *****.
    I donít even listen to rap but heís clearly talented.

If the N word is in a song lyric written from a black personís perspective I donít see the problem personally. Seems a bit like bait to choose a white girl to sing that particular song.
    Last edited by SRHibs; 24-05-2018 at 07:39 AM.

@hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    if he doesn't want people saying the word he shouldn't have it in his songs.
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

@hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post

Batted out the park 10/10

Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    I donít even listen to rap but heís clearly talented.

If the N word is in a song lyric written from a black personís perspective I donít see the problem personally. Seems a bit like bait to choose a white girl to sing that particular song.
    I quite like rap music but I think heís murder most of the time.

Agree with your second paragraph, heís done this for the publicity and heís hung one of his fans out to dry to get it.

Oh for ****'s sake.

Quote Originally Posted by Wilson View Post
    Should it? The artist has divided his fans into two classes based on their colour. Black fans can sing the word. White ones can't. Certainly segregation seems to go against the ideals of hip hop songs. Unless the message is it is okay to exclude and segregate so long as it isn't to black people.

The word should either be acceptable to the artist, and ALL of his fans, in the context of his music and everyone having an equal right to enjoy it. Either that or the word is unacceptable full stop.
    100%

Wait.. is it actually the rapper who invited this girl on to stage who is complaining? Or just the media etc?

If it is the former. What a welt.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    100%

Wait.. is it actually the rapper who invited this girl on to stage who is complaining? Or just the media etc?

If it is the former. What a welt.
    The story I read was that it was the crowd reaction to the girl singing the lyrics that led to the artist stopping her. What has been said since then Iím not sure.

GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

Ironic given the fact he has a song where he calls white people honkies and crackers.

But that's fair game apparently.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    Ironic given the fact he has a song where he calls white people honkies and crackers.

But that's fair game apparently.
    Itís always fair game to racially abuse white people. Iíve actually seen it suggested that white people cant be the subject of racism.

The ďNĒ word is Nigger and thereís no need for censorship.

I think a few people, black and white, need to learn a bit about more about the slave trade if they think the word is unrepeatable in any sort of modern context.

Weíre all on the same page now and know that our culture is equal, not superior.

@hibs.net private member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    The ďNĒ word is Nigger and thereís no need for censorship.

I think a few people, black and white, need to learn a bit about more about the slave trade if they think the word is unrepeatable in any sort of modern context.

Weíre all on the same page now and know that our culture is equal, not superior.
    Iím not quite sure the points you are making in this post - Are you suggesting itís not a racial slur?? I canít imagine, in this day, that is the point you are suggesting?

And are you are also suggesting there is now some magical universal equality regardless of race??

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    Itís always fair game to racially abuse white people. Iíve actually seen it suggested that white people cant be the subject of racism.
    Yep as have I.

In the same way that men apparently can't be the victims of sexism.

Apparently unless you're a minority group who has traditionally been seen to be treated unfairly, you're not eligible to claim any sort of prejudice has taken place against you.

According to some people anyway.

Has there ever been a racism thread on here that hasnít turned into Ďus white folks can be the victims of racism tooí? Yes, we can but to discuss it in the context of what other races have and still do go through is cringey as **** IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by Beefster View Post
    Has there ever been a racism thread on here that hasnít turned into Ďus white folks can be the victims of racism tooí? Yes, we can but to discuss it in the context of what other races have and still do go through is cringey as **** IMHO.
    In the context of this thread I think it's a valid point.

We are talking here about a black person criticising someone for using racist language whilst also being guilty himself of using language which is deemed offensive towards white people.

@hibs.net private member
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    In the context of this thread I think it's a valid point.

We are talking here about a black person criticising someone for using racist language whilst also being guilty himself of using language which is deemed offensive towards white people.
    The broader point though is that the everyday inequalities and racism encountered growing up black (Or any racial or ethnic minority)in the western world means that we (including myself here) white people donít really understand what those who experience it go through .. their personal experiences allow them to have a perspective on these topics that we just donít have....no matter how nuanced our analysis .. frankly if a black artist feels it is racist to use this term, then we should
    Listen and respect that view....as we donít understand it in the way they do.

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    The broader point though is that the everyday inequalities and racism encountered growing up black (Or any racial or ethnic minority)in the western world means that we (including myself here) white people donít really understand what those who experience it go through .. their personal experiences allow them to have a perspective on these topics that we just donít have....no matter how nuanced our analysis .. frankly if a black artist feels it is racist to use this term, then we should
    Listen and respect that view....as we donít understand it in the way they do.
    I don't think anyone is making an argument for saying that the "n" word is acceptable.

I think people are simply highlighting the hypocrisy of someone who is criticising the use of the "n" word but has a history of using racial slurs against white people.