hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

What type of player would be your ideal captain?

The experienced goalie, someone who can watch the game develop and barks orders
    The dominating centrehalf, someone who puts his head where it hurts
    The quietly efficient full-back, respected by all
    The powerhouse in midfield, someone who's often on the wrong side of the law, hated by the opposition
    The attacking midfielder, capable of scoring as many strikers
    The 20-goals a season striker, creates and scores out of nothing

So many types of player to choose from - some not mentioned above - what type of player would be you ideal captain?

I come from a generation when Scotland had some great centrehalfs, many of which were their club captain. That's always been my preferred choice.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Sir David Gray

Seriously, with you with the blood n guts CH

I'm definitely of the opinion that it shouldn't usually be a player in the attacking third. I feel like whoever it is should play in a position where they can have more of an impact on all aspects of the game if need be. Seems to me to be why centre halfs or midfielders fit the bill best.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    CH or CM for me. How's a striker or a goalie meant to influence one another throughout the game?

Centre half or sweeper. The ability to see how the game is developing on the whole pitch is vital imo. (The ability and desire to lose four teeth while scoring in derby games is an added bonus).

Roy Keane type CM

Not a big fan of having keepers as captains IMO. Too far away from a lot of the actions. Ideal captain for me is a CH or CM, someone right in the thick of it and can command the game. Hows a keeper meant to get involved when most of the team are the other ed of the park at say a corner or something.

Kind of like a Scott Brown type captain. Gets right stuck in and is continuously rallying his team and keeping them organised throughout the game. He's the kind of character you hate if he's against you but absolutely the type of guy you want on your side.

Gray, McGreagor and Hanlon all fantastic captain material as well, we are lucky to have these guys.

one that scores in 92nd min to win the Scottish cup first time in 114 years.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Left by mutual consent!
    CB like Rob Jones.

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Captaincy in football is becoming somewhat outdated, I think. Players are more professional now than they were back in the day, and the majority lead by example in keeping themselves fit, professional and motivated.

I think there was a time where having one player who was a 'leader' that didn't smoke, go out before/after games religiously and was trusted to behave with fans on and off the park was vital for a club but in modern football and society, the spotlight is never off footballers. This encourages better behaviour and sports science ensures they are all at peak fitness whenever possible.

Does a Roy Keane type on the pitch push the team anymore than the manager from the sidelines now? I'm not so sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Just Jimmy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    one that scores in 92nd min to win the Scottish cup first time in 114 years.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk
    David Gray's performance in the 20 minutes up to that moment was the ultimate captain's performance.

His aggression, pressing and pushing forward set the tone for our cup win.

The goal was the icing on the cake.

We're lucky in that we've got plenty of captain material in the squad.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny_Leith View Post
    Captaincy in football is becoming somewhat outdated, I think. Players are more professional now than they were back in the day, and the majority lead by example in keeping themselves fit, professional and motivated.

I think there was a time where having one player who was a 'leader' that didn't smoke, go out before/after games religiously and was trusted to behave with fans on and off the park was vital for a club but in modern football and society, the spotlight is never off footballers. This encourages better behaviour and sports science ensures they are all at peak fitness whenever possible.

Does a Roy Keane type on the pitch push the team anymore than the manager from the sidelines now? I'm not so sure.
    You're right up to a point however, I think every 'pack' needs a leader. Someone with a never-say-die spirit who can rally the troops whenever his/her team are struggling. These people are special and IMO essential in any side.

Marvin Bartley

@hibs.net private member Johnny_Leith's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    You're right up to a point however, I think every 'pack' needs a leader. Someone with a never-say-die spirit who can rally the troops whenever his/her team are struggling. These people are special and IMO essential in any side.
    I'd agree that some groups definitely need them, and some groups can go without. Probably towards the top of the game, captaincy is more of a gesture. Huge win bonuses helps towards a lot of the motivation of players, along with fans expectations and footballing glory. I suppose you get to the top level by being able to self motivate to an exceptional level.

A talker, an organiser, and someone who has the respect of the fans. Prefer it to be someone at the back so they can watch the game in front of them. McGregor fits that bill imo, so he would get my vote.

How much of the game does the captain influence? How often do we really see hanlon or Gray shout orders or that about? I feel a lot of the captain's influence comes from off the pitch which is why their personality and character traits should come into it more rather than what position they play

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by beensaidbefore View Post
    A talker, an organiser, and someone who has the respect of the fans. Prefer it to be someone at the back so they can watch the game in front of them. McGregor fits that bill imo, so he would get my vote.
    Even though he's from Leith?

It gives him that radge edge we need😂 YLT style

A captain isn't just for games, he has to be influential behind the scenes also, SDG maybe not the shouty type on the pitch but a very good influence off it. If you want a blood and guts type captain then McGregor is your man, a leader by example on the pitch.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHibee View Post
    Marvin Bartley

Was about top say that!!! But, a Marvin Bartley with a little more attacking capability.

Sir David Gray

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    David Gray's performance in the 20 minutes up to that moment was the ultimate captain's performance.

His level of dedication in that last 20 minutes was out of this world. Tracked back and made three almost impossible tackles, battling through a knock he sustained and then heading in the winner. What a man.

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post

Spot on. Something we sorely lacked over the years. We “put all our eggs in one basket” (say with McPake) and even then often chose the wrong captain who appeared to offer few leadership qualities.

We now have leaders spread throughout the team. I think that’s what Collins and PLG were looking for. Perhaps ahead of their time for Scotland.

I think since the Miller era in general out captains with few exceptions have been quiet. I prefer more vocal and demonstrative (without “barking”)

I’ve often wondered if in the past Hibs were guilty of trying to get around the wage cap by offering the captains role to important players but not necessarily captains material...
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr White View Post
    Even though he's from Leith?

Off his tits, clearly.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post

His level of dedication in that last 20 minutes was out of this world. Tracked back and made three almost impossible tackles, battling through a knock he sustained and then heading in the winner. What a man.
    I often use that as an example to my kids when they have a tough task. The man was down injured with 5 minutes to go, we had no subs left. He took the difficult option, got up, manned up and scored the most important goal in the clubs history.

Now he’s an icon.

I’m jumping around the living room again

Quote Originally Posted by IncredibleHibee View Post
    Marvin Bartley
    If I cant have Pat Stanton or John Blackley, then yes Marvin would do nicely. don't know how he was not used against the gorgie mob recently. he has a presence , when on the field. when things go wrong he digs in . my kinda guy.

A captian shouldn't be the one who shouts the loudest!

It should be the one who inspires the most, a leader, a decision maker, a communicator, a delgator, an empowerer, someone who others follow without question.

It can be the quietest person in the squad but it should be the one who influences the most

Quote Originally Posted by monktonharp View Post
    when things go wrong he digs in . my kinda guy.
    Exactly. Very telling he was the one who faced the press after Lennon’s rant after the hearts game - Marv is a man who stands up to be counted.

Great teams have multiple captains.

Quote Originally Posted by AZhibee View Post
    Was about top say that!!! But, a Marvin Bartley with a little more attacking capability.
    Got to love us Hibs fans.
    Years crying out for a Winger and a good Defensive Mid.
    Now the winger can't tackle and tbe DM doesn't get enough assists ;)

Completely agree mind.
    Marv with a decent bit of attacking nous would possibly be first name on the team sheet.

Sets the tone ;)