hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

21.05.2016 commentary

First of all, Happy 2nd Anniversary everyone!

What are your favourite quotes from that day?

"What a moment this is . . . its Liam Henderson to deliveeeeeeeeer . . . . ."

"They've only gone and done it! they've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! WHAT KEPT YOU HIBS?!"

"The moment in time, the moment in history AT LAST! AT LAST! AT LAST!"

^ Just a few of my favourites

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member SouthMoroccoStu's Avatar
    DAVID GRAY HAS SCORED! THE CAPTAIN!!!!
    HIBS ARE STANDING ON THE BRINK OF HISTORY
    AFTER 114 YEARS, THEY’VE ALMOST DONE IT!!
    THEYVE ALMOST WON THE SCOTTISH CUP!

Didn’t even have to look it up, I, like many others on here, know this off the top of my head

Quote Originally Posted by SouthMoroccoStu View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    DAVID GRAY HAS SCORED! THE CAPTAIN!!!!
    HIBS ARE STANDING ON THE BRINK OF HISTORY
    AFTER 114 YEARS, THEY’VE ALMOST DONE IT!!
    THEYVE ALMOST WON THE SCOTTISH CUP!

Didn’t even have to look it up, I, like many others on here, know this off the top of my head
    I literally play that piece of commentary over in my head at least once a day EVERYDAY

I love Cliff Pike, just as it's started to calm down from Gray's header (if that's even possible) and Rangers kick off, he goes "well, what do you now? What do you do now?!"

Summed it up perfectly for me, that sense of sheer "we've never been here before" territory that overcame me when Rangers got the game back underway. I have never been so terrified in my life, I was like a baby.

Anyone got links to other commentaries from different countries? Mind listen to one it sounded superb.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    I love Cliff Pike, just as it's started to calm down from Gray's header (if that's even possible) and Rangers kick off, he goes "well, what do you now? What do you do now?!"

Summed it up perfectly for me, that sense of sheer "we've never been here before" territory that overcame me when Rangers got the game back underway. I have never been so terrified in my life, I was like a baby.
    There are a few fan perspective videos that sum up this feeling so well. People just standing with their hands on their heads staring at the pitch.

The picture paints a thousand words, you can see everyone thinking "this never happens to us?..."

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    Anyone got links to other commentaries from different countries? Mind listen to one it sounded superb.
    The French one: https://twitter.com/lachainelequipe/...49251987193856

First Team Breakthrough Soldiersteve's Avatar
    It does now!

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    That guy surely wanted a hibs win haha. No idea what he’s saying but he just sounds so happy we scored.

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    The best commentary which pretty much summed up the thoughts of the Hibs support in the seconds after Gray bulleted in the winner is from HibsTV’s Conor Rafferty.

“NO DANGER!”
    PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    I love that French one. “Extroardinaire scenario!”

Quote Originally Posted by Thecat23 View Post
    That guy surely wanted a hibs win haha. No idea what he’s saying but he just sounds so happy we scored.
    I like to think that it's French for "Hahaha get it right up ye Halliday ya horrible blue nosed *******."

But then French was never my strong point.

The French commentary is the dugs but I remember watching an American one, a bit like Soccer Guy.

@hibs.net private member Seveno's Avatar
    I loved Ian Crocker’s commentary. He clearly understood what it mean to Hibs.

’At last, at last, at last’ always brings a tear to my eye.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Seveno View Post
    I loved Ian Crocker’s commentary. He clearly understood what it mean to Hibs.

’At last, at last, at last’ always brings a tear to my eye.

Just reading your post on it and remembering has me welling up.

@hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Pointer View Post
    The French commentary is the dugs but I remember watching an American one, a bit like Soccer Guy.
    I found out the name of the French guy and sent him a message on twitter thanking him
    and he came back and said he loved it, one of the best cup finals he had seen, from any country, ever. Top Man

It's funny really, I haven't attended a game since 2000 (Hibs v Celtic, think Jack got sent off) and I wasn't ever going to rock up to a final as I hadn't 'deserved it as a fan' - my thoughts and I've no axe to grind with anyone who did btw. I've always considered myself a very lapsed fan on here.

But watching the video over and over, the bit where you see two face painted girls in the crowd with their hands over their eyes as Henderson steps up to deliver. And the bit when we DO score and there's a view over the shoulder of one woman who is literally shaking and waiting for final whistle... Those bits get me welling up each time.

I can't imagine what it must have been like for the ST holders and those who have constantly rocked up to see Hibs play some utterly crap games. Payback? Nah, to me it seems a lot more. I don't well up because 'my team did it'. Because of my lapsed fan nature, I can't claim that. But to think of all those guys I used to go with and who sat around me, I don't even know if one of their fathers is still alive. That's the bit that makes me wanna cry like a 2 year old. Generations of (sorry to be sexist) fathers and sons who didn't see that and for those of you who one of you was there but the other wasn't? Well, for everything else there's Mastercard.

The teams that got relegated (including the one I saw under McLeish) - I consider them to be 'my teams' because I still think of myself as a Hibby in many ways. But that team that won the cup? The bit that makes me really want to sob is because it was your team and that's something special. I don't know any of you on here (although I think I taught one of you and probably sat over a parent's night table with another...) but it was all those regular posters that I was thinking of when that whistle went.

I'm not sure I explained that well but I hope I did!

Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post
    It's funny really, I haven't attended a game since 2000 (Hibs v Celtic, think Jack got sent off) and I wasn't ever going to rock up to a final as I hadn't 'deserved it as a fan' - my thoughts and I've no axe to grind with anyone who did btw. I've always considered myself a very lapsed fan on here.

But watching the video over and over, the bit where you see two face painted girls in the crowd with their hands over their eyes as Henderson steps up to deliver. And the bit when we DO score and there's a view over the shoulder of one woman who is literally shaking and waiting for final whistle... Those bits get me welling up each time.

I can't imagine what it must have been like for the ST holders and those who have constantly rocked up to see Hibs play some utterly crap games. Payback? Nah, to me it seems a lot more. I don't well up because 'my team did it'. Because of my lapsed fan nature, I can't claim that. But to think of all those guys I used to go with and who sat around me, I don't even know if one of their fathers is still alive. That's the bit that makes me wanna cry like a 2 year old. Generations of (sorry to be sexist) fathers and sons who didn't see that and for those of you who one of you was there but the other wasn't? Well, for everything else there's Mastercard.

The teams that got relegated (including the one I saw under McLeish) - I consider them to be 'my teams' because I still think of myself as a Hibby in many ways. But that team that won the cup? The bit that makes me really want to sob is because it was your team and that's something special. I don't know any of you on here (although I think I taught one of you and probably sat over a parent's night table with another...) but it was all those regular posters that I was thinking of when that whistle went.

Once a Hibby, always a Hibby. It was your day as much as any of ours mate.

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by heidtheba View Post

You did explain it well, great read

I've been to every cup final we've played in since 1971 (and hundreds of games in between) with more or less the same band of Hibbies.

At this final I was standing there thinking about the one guy who couldn't make this one game. After Sir David's goal my missus tells me I was just staring at the ground with clenched fists before exploding when the final whistle went. Can't say where most of us ended up after that, for legal reasons!

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    I heard a bit commentary from an English commentater about ' Hibs winning it with a big green pen ' Never heard it since and can't find it on google but it was tugging on the heart strings

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Aw, naw.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Could someone let me know how to get the Henderson to deliver ringtone for Android, please.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

@hibs.net private member BroxburnHibee's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: CoolHibeesdaft PSN ID: Hibeesdaft
    Quote Originally Posted by HibbyAndy View Post
    I heard a bit commentary from an English commentater about ' Hibs winning it with a big green pen ' Never heard it since and can't find it on google but it was tugging on the heart strings
    You mean this one?

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, vodka in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming, "WOO HOO what a ride!"

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BroxburnHibee View Post
    You mean this one?

The very one ! Great find thank you

First Team Breakthrough scotia44's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Could someone let me know how to get the Henderson to deliver ringtone for Android, please.
    Open and save send to phone or view and save fingers crossed
    Attached Files Attached Files

First Team Breakthrough
    Love all of the above but for me the best comment of the day was turning to kids and hearing .... “Dad we have won it” ... bedlum around us will never be forgotten ... 2 years have past and I still well up 💚💚💚

Not exactly commentary but any excuse to post this:

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=oOJK5TadcnU

Stone Roses (This is the one) cup final video.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Here you go.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    First of all, Happy 2nd Anniversary everyone!

What are your favourite quotes from that day?

"What a moment this is . . . its Liam Henderson to deliveeeeeeeeer . . . . ."

"They've only gone and done it! they've only gone and won the Scottish Cup! WHAT KEPT YOU HIBS?!"

"The moment in time, the moment in history AT LAST! AT LAST! AT LAST!"

^ Just a few of my favourites
    Anyone got BBC Radio Scotland commentary of the winning goal?
    Last edited by RoxburghHibs; 22-05-2018 at 03:47 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by KSA Hibee View Post
    Love all of the above but for me the best comment of the day was turning to kids and hearing .... “Dad we have won it” ... bedlum around us will never be forgotten ... 2 years have past and I still well up 💚💚💚
    Love it! At FT i just remember huggin my dad, jumping up and down and just saying over and over again "we've done it! we've done it! we've done it!".

I love the West stand stone as well (not sure who it belongs to) that says "Wow. Just wow! 21.05.2016". Pretty much sums up the feeling at FT, sheer disbelief.