hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Kieren Tierney

Kieren Tierney

Athletico Madrid the latest club to take an interest in him but he's come out and said he wants to stay at celtic his whole career which got me thinking, what would you do if you were him?

If you were a footballer and playing for the club you've loved and supported all your life (the dream!), earning a very good amount of money and guaranteed trophies every single season, as Kieren Tierney is at Celtic, would you happily settle with that or would you still want to go out your comfort zone and try yourself at a bigger club?

I guess it would come down to money vs trophies in a lot of ways. Say he did move to Atheltico Madrid, he would be earning considerably more money than at Celtic but wouldn't win as many trophies.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Atletico.

What would I do?

Sign for Hibs and provide solid back-up to Lewis Stevenson.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What would I do?

Sign for Hibs and provide solid back-up to Lewis Stevenson.

I've got Scott Allan covered.

Glasgow or Madrid, hard call to make

Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Athletico Madrid the latest club to take an interest in him but he's come out and said he wants to stay at celtic his whole career which got me thinking, what would you do if you were him?

If you were a footballer and playing for the club you've loved and supported all your life (the dream!), earning a very good amount of money and guaranteed trophies every single season, as Kieren Tierney is at Celtic, would you happily settle with that or would you still want to go out your comfort zone and try yourself at a bigger club?

I guess it would come down to money vs trophies in a lot of ways. Say he did move to Atheltico Madrid, he would be earning considerably more money than at Celtic but wouldn't win as many trophies.
    It is about quality of life and family. He seems very focused and close to his friends and family and that counts for a lot. What ever he does I am sure he will have plenty of options and I don't think he should be knocked what ever he chooses to do. With regard to money when you get a million a year would three million make your life so much better?

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar

I would sign for Atletico and we can use the cash to bring Leigh back.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Are these clubs actually interested? Find it hard to believe

Is he even that good?

@hibs.net private member

To me it's an incredibly easy question - Athletico every time. He's already won everything he can at Celtic and I'm sure they would have him back if it doesn't work out.

It would be a crying shame if he spent the rest of his career at Celtic. Go and test yourself, try and improve and who knows where you might end up.

Quote Originally Posted by neil7908 View Post
    To me it's an incredibly easy question - Athletico every time. He's already won everything he can at Celtic and I'm sure they would have him back if it doesn't work out.

It would be a crying shame if he spent the rest of his career at Celtic. Go and test yourself, try and improve and who knows where you might end up.
    Very true and If it was me I would absolutely want to try my hand at the highest level but some players are happy to stick within their comfort zone. Look at Brown for example, he could have played in England or even abroad and been successful IMO but he's stuck at Celtic. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, he earns a very comfortable living and has a huge collection of winners medals to show off but it's like he didn't want to take the next step. Maybe I'm being unfair, I don't know Brown personally so perhaps his decision to stay in Glasgow was for family reasons or whatever rather than not wanting to take the risk at moving to a better team and league.

Tierneys still very young. If I was him, I would enjoy developing and learning at the club I love but in a few years time when I was a more mature player I'd be looking to take the next step up.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 18-05-2018 at 09:53 PM.

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Absolute lack of ambition on his part if he'd rather remain with the whale in the rockery pool.

I understand he's a lifelong Celtc fan, but come on to **** - it's a short career, and there's a possibility of playing week in, week out, against the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale, Greizman, etc, etc, etc, rather than Harry Cochrane, Kris Boyd, Jason Holt or Murray Davidson (nothing against those specific players, I just picked four random names from the SPFL).

He's a failure if he stays with Celtc IMO - like constantly playing FIFA on "Easy".

Angry

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    Absolute lack of ambition on his part if he'd rather remain with the whale in the rockery pool.

I understand he's a lifelong Celtc fan, but come on to **** - it's a short career, and there's a possibility of playing week in, week out, against the likes of Messi, Ronaldo, Suarez, Bale, Greizman, etc, etc, etc, rather than Harry Cochrane, Kris Boyd, Jason Holt or Murray Davidson (nothing against those specific players, I just picked four random names from the SPFL).

He's a failure if he stays with Celtc IMO - like constantly playing FIFA on "Easy".
    Yeah he would be real failure

@hibs.net private member
    Very true and If it was me I would absolutely want to try my hand at the highest level but some players are happy to stick within their comfort zone. Look at Brown for example, he could have played in England and been successful IMO but he's stuck at Celtic. Not saying there's anything wrong with that, he earns a very comfortable living and has a huge collection of winners medals to show off.

Tierneys still very young. If I was him, I would enjoy developing and learning at the club I love but in a few years time when I was a more mature player I'd be looking to take the next step up.
    Yeah, your right that Tierney still has plenty years ahead of him so no rush but at some point you wonder what he'll learn playing for Celtic and getting away with coasting through most games.

Look at how far his competition at left back for Scotland has gone. He chanced his luck down south, went to a much less fancied team than Athletico and now could be coming away with a Champions League medal. I don't care how many SPL titles Tierney wins, Robertson will have him beat even if that's the only thing he wins for the rest of his career.

I'm not sure what about this subject annoys me so much but it just feels like someone lucky enough to be born with a great talent not making the most of it.

Too many players move too quickly imo. Hes won loads but what's the rush? The league is getting more competitve and hes getting european and international experience under his belt all whilst playing in front of 60k fans most weeks!

I'm sure hes getting paid a decent wedge to have the pleasure of playing for the club he loves as well. I reckon he'll stay another year or 2 and get a big move. Right now he's living the dream and whilst I'd wanna test myself at the top level i wouldnt rush to the first opportunity

The Bournemouth link is actually laughable tbh

Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    Too many players move too quickly imo. Hes won loads but what's the rush? The league is getting more competitve and hes getting european and international experience under his belt all whilst playing in front of 60k fans most weeks!

I'm sure hes getting paid a decent wedge to have the pleasure of playing for the club he loves as well. I reckon he'll stay another year or 2 and get a big move. Right now he's living the dream and whilst I'd wanna test myself at the top level i wouldnt rush to the first opportunity

The Bournemouth link is actually laughable tbh
    No rush at all and in fact I think he would be crazy to leave now. He's young but at celtic he is playing every week and getting a good experience of European football as well. I mean for in the future because he will attract decent offers and despite saying he wants to stay at celtic for his whole career he should look to be ambitious when the time is right.

@hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    I don’t think it’s as unlikely as it seems. Celtic has proven to be a good platform for players to move on to bigger things. Other clubs will have taken notice of the fact that there might be some players available for a knockdown price.

United we stand here....

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by Sammy7nil View Post
    Yeah he would be real failure
    How does he learn/develop as a player when he's continually coming up against mediocre/rank rotten opposition that don't provide a challenge week in, week out?

If he wants to be a truly elite player, which I wholly believe he can be, he should be testing himself against the best there are. David Robertson is a prime example of just how much you can improve by challenging yourself rather than accepting your lot and winning easy medals/trophies.

That's not quite what he said in the BBC article, I'm not sure if you have perhaps read another article.

In the BBC one he said;

"I've never thought about elsewhere yet, in my life," he said. "It's just been Celtic since the age of seven."

"I've never even been on trial with an another team," said Tierney. "I was at my local boys' club then moved to Celtic at seven.

"Can I see myself being here all my career? Yes, I can. But, you never know in football.

"I've never thought about being away from Celtic. Maybe one day it will happen."

"It's a kind of confidence-booster in a way to know that you've put the hard work in and massive teams all over Europe are noticing it," he told BBC Scotland.

"It's flattering for teams like that to be interested."

Sounds to me like he's saying all the right things, as you would expect. He's hardly likely to say that he doesn't want to stay there for his whole career and he'll be accepting the first big offer that comes in for him.

He's only 20 years old. There's plenty of time for him to leave.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    That's not quite what he said in the BBC article, I'm not sure if you have perhaps read another article.

In the BBC one he said;

"I've never thought about elsewhere yet, in my life," he said. "It's just been Celtic since the age of seven."

"I've never even been on trial with an another team," said Tierney. "I was at my local boys' club then moved to Celtic at seven.

"Can I see myself being here all my career? Yes, I can. But, you never know in football.

"I've never thought about being away from Celtic. Maybe one day it will happen."

"It's a kind of confidence-booster in a way to know that you've put the hard work in and massive teams all over Europe are noticing it," he told BBC Scotland.

"It's flattering for teams like that to be interested."

Sounds to me like he's saying all the right things, as you would expect. He's hardly likely to say that he doesn't want to stay there for his whole career and he'll be accepting the first big offer that comes in for him.

He's only 20 years old. There's plenty of time for him to leave.
    Fair enough. I hadn't read that, I've just seen headlines saying he wants to be a one club man etc (how uncharacteristic of the papers to put a spin on things eh )

@hibs.net private member
    Nothing wrong with a player being happy at his club and staying there. I only wish some of our players think the same.

I’ll qualify that, Tierney’s stock is high so could say to Celtic “Athletico have offered me x amount, offer me 80% of that and I’ll sign for 5 years”.

Obviously professional life is short and if someone says to anyone I’ll triple your wages that’s a no brainer but if your current club, who you love or for some reason and it ‘works’ for you, can offer a ‘whole’ package- stay put.

It’s the same discussion we are having about Scott Allan, why would he stay with us if he can earn more and challenge himself more (football-wise) elsewhere?

What’s wrong with enjoying a sporting challenge and enjoying life?

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Fair enough. I hadn't read that, I've just seen headlines saying he wants to be a one club man etc (how uncharacteristic of the papers to put a spin on things eh )
    Some might say you're helping them out there by starting threads based solely on their headlines.
    Last edited by Mr White; 18-05-2018 at 10:43 PM.

I would say to him....widen your horizons embrace the language and culture of Madrid, or anywhere else and get out of the goldfish bowl thats Glasgow and learn about yourself along the way.its a short career so he should make the most of it. A footballers life is to short....

Quote Originally Posted by vuefrom1875 View Post
    I would say to him....widen your horizons embrace the language and culture of Madrid, or anywhere else and get out of the goldfish bowl thats Glasgow and learn about yourself along the way.its a short career so he should make the most of it. A footballers life is to short....
    I couldn't have put it better.

Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post

What... Like Scott brown?

Testimonial Due
    If it were me, id stay a few more years at Celtic, be part of the 10 in a row push, then reevaluate in my mid 20s, and look to move abroad / england then.

Have some ambition and challenge yourself. It's the temptation of staying in Scotland to pursue a career with Celtic and Rangers (RIP) that that stops us from becoming world beaters. You can gain cult status within your own fan base (which is ultimately why people want to play for their boyhood team) without comprising career progression.

If you compare Brown to say Fletcher, two players from the same hibs era, Brown has of course won more medals (at Celtic your pretty much guaranteed at least 1 a season) but Fletcher has played in the Premiership down in England playing against top opposition, in big stadiums week in week out. Fair enough you could agrue that Brown has played European football every season but even still, that's just a small part of the season.

The offer was there for Fletcher to go to celtic and had he decided to do so he, like Brown, would have accumulated plenty medals to his name but he would be playing against far poorer opposition and playing at grounds like Fir Hill, Dens Park, Rugby Park etc etc instead of stadiums like Anfield, Old Trafford, Emirates with 50-60k crowds. Good on him for taking the risk, being ambitious and wanting to test himself week in week out against top players.

BTW I'm not for one minute having a go at Scott Brown. He's had an excellent career and has won a lot, I mean after todays final it could be 6 in just 2 seasons which not many players can say they've done .My point simply is that for young players like Tierney, they should, when the time is right, look to broaden their horizons and challenge themselves. As someone already mentioned, Robertson is playing week in week out against high quality opposition and I think it's improved him as a player. Playing against the best makes you have to raise your game to compete.
    Last edited by 21.05.2016; 19-05-2018 at 05:13 AM.

You wonder if players ever regret it though. Seeing how far they could have gone. Paul McStay for example, 16 years at Celtic.