hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

Scottish Cup Final

Really hope Motherwell do it, even if it means we don't get a European place. A back to back treble for celtic is embarrassing for Scottish football IMO. Just highlights even more how massive the gap is between 1 club and everyone else.

Celtic rightly massive favourites but they aren't unbeatable, they've shown this season they can have off days (I mean losing 4-0 to the shower of ***** that is Hearts - wtf?!) so Motherwell got to believe they're in for a chance. This could be their very own "Time for Heroes" game!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Hope Motherwell do it even if Hibs lose out? You’re at the wind up surely.

I would normally be right behind Motherwell but there’s something at stake for Hibs.

It’s a big game for us to clinch a European place and we don’t even have to do anything.

Celtic win please. Not even a choice.

Celtic for me . Don’t give a jot for Motherwell. It’s all about Hibs . European football ,money,prestige and hopefully a nice couple of away trips. Its what the team have worked for all season . Cmon the lesser greens .

Of course Celtic to win is a must for us, but, I think it will be the underdog that wins this one.

Celtc for me. Europe and straight through to last 16 of league cup

First Team Breakthrough Hibs1969's Avatar
    Normally I'd be shouting for Motherwell but Hibs need Celtic to win this one, so reluctantly it has to be the second team to wear the green this time round.

Obviously want to get into Europe, and getting into group stages is a long term aspiration for the club.

But I can understand those who could take it or leave it. I think the Malmo debacle has people wary of taking on competitive games in July against quality opposition who are mid season and much further forward in terms of fitness.

I can’t remember the last time we got into Europe and didn’t fail at the first hurdle. Must be 25 years or so?

No brainer...Still feel dirty tho....! Mon thi Hoops!

Surely every Hibby wants celtic to win purely for a Europa league place. Normally wouldnt care much. Celtic dont win trophies anyway they buy them.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Really hope Motherwell do it, even if it means we don't get a European place. A back to back treble for celtic is embarrassing for Scottish football IMO. Just highlights even more how massive the gap is between 1 club and everyone else.

Celtic rightly massive favourites but they aren't unbeatable, they've shown this season they can have off days (I mean losing 4-0 to the shower of ***** that is Hearts - wtf?!) so Motherwell got to believe they're in for a chance. This could be their very own "Time for Heroes" game!
    Motherwell fluking a win will change nothing about the huge gap. European ties will probably make hundreds of thousands for us so it’s an absolute no brainer IMO. Celtic win.

You want a team to win who will stop us getting into europe and cost us money and at least one trip away? Absolutely bizarre, the players have been brilliant and missing out on europe will be a cruel blow, I couldn't give a toss about the image of scottish football.

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    I am not fussed either way to be honest.

Obviously if Celtic win we are in Europe and that ensures the fans at least one trip away.

However these days I am not sure the club makes much money from it if we are knocked out after one or two rounds. Also, it starts so early now that it disrupts our pre season and in years gone by most of our new signiings haven’t even arrived or bedded in by the time the qualifiers start.

So for me, Europe is a nice to have but if Motherwell win I will be delighted for their fans.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar

Wtf. All about Hibs would always want Well to win normally however got to be Celtic on this occasion as it benefits Hibs directly.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

Obviously if Celtic win we are in Europe and that ensures the fans at least one trip away.

However these days I am not sure the club makes much money from it if we are knocked out after one or two rounds. Also, it starts so early now that it disrupts our pre season and in years gone by most of our new signiings haven’t even arrived or bedded in by the time the qualifiers start.

So for me, Europe is a nice to have but if Motherwell win I will be delighted for their fans.
    Also a bye into the last 16 of the League Cup is on the line.

J

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post
    Obviously want to get into Europe, and getting into group stages is a long term aspiration for the club.

But I can understand those who could take it or leave it. I think the Malmo debacle has people wary of taking on competitive games in July against quality opposition who are mid season and much further forward in terms of fitness.

I can’t remember the last time we got into Europe and didn’t fail at the first hurdle. Must be 25 years or so?
    Last time we were in it we played very well and we're unlucky to be knocked out by a decent team including beating them on their own patch.

Quote Originally Posted by hibbydog View Post

Beat Videoton in (I think) 88/89 season, then lost narrowly to FC Liege - don't think we've progressed past a first round since. Great memories of Belgium that year though, was my first Euro trip. We were unlucky v Brondby two years ago anaw, and Copenhagen was amazing. Following Hibs abroad is a special experience, and in footballing terms it would give us something tangible to remember the season by. The club deserves it.

So....it is indeed a no-brainer. 'Mon the Hoops!

@hibs.net private member AFKA5814_Hibs's Avatar
    Normally would want Motherwell to win, but a European spot is up for grabs. A place in the Europa league qualifiers would at least give us some reward for the great season we've just had.

Quote Originally Posted by Spike Mandela View Post

Europa League would start around the same time as the group stage of the league cup groups.

We can’t win the league so all you are playing for is a European place. We need to dream that one year we can get through a few rounds towards the group stages. Every year there are tiny clubs from some far flung places who manage it so why couldn’t it be a Hibs or Aberdeen one year?

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Last time we were in it we played very well and we're unlucky to be knocked out by a decent team including beating them on their own patch.
    Agreed - only just lost out on penalties to a team with good European pedigree. We had a perfectly decent goal chalked off in the first leg too. And that was when we were a Championship side. We’re a better team now.

Lennon also has an excellent record in Europe, we’re regularly taking points off a strong Celtic side - don’t think we should be running scared of equivalent teams in other countries.

C'mon the Tic.
    Yeeeuuuuuchhh
    But c'mon the Tic.

@hibs.net private member The Spaceman's Avatar
    Celtic win - gets us into Europe, gets us extra revenue, gets us into the last 16 of the League Cup, winds up the H**s even more.

Motherwell win - would be funny from a Scottish Football perspective.

Celtic win.

@hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar

bizarre.

@hibs.net private member
    A lot on here would be wanting Celtic to win, even if the European place wasn't at stake.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve20 View Post
    A lot on here would be wanting Celtic to win, even if the European place wasn't at stake.
    I doubt it.

But I want Celtic to win tomorrow.

@hibs.net private member

I totally agree with you sentiments however if we want to progress as a club we must consistently qualify for the Europa League with a view of, in time, qualifying for the group stages.

League of bloody Ireland clubs have achieved it, why shouldn't we!

Aye he last thing we all want is a European trip. 😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    I’ve no idea why anyone would want Motherwell to win in these circumstances. Celtc might be a horrible, detestable outfit but I’ll be cheering them on for 90 minutes on Saturday.

Celtic win for me. Could do with Motherwell conceding a penalty early doors with a straight red to settle the nerves.

Blog Entries
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    How can folk be so flippant about a place in Europe? It's what we've been playing for all season.