hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: The World Cup

The World Cup

Now that the football season is over, thoughts turn to the World Cup..!

Struggling to get excited about this. Thankfully I’m not English as I’d be struggling to get excited about this squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44138600

What’s people’s thoughts on it? Whose your tip to win it? Which team will disappoint? Whose your dark horses that will probably go out in the first round?

2. Log in to remove the advert

I have said for a while I think Nigeria will do well. No real reasoning behind it just a hunch. Then they drew probably the worst group in Argentina, Iceland and Croatia so could easily be over by group stages for me.

Quote Originally Posted by David_D View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I have said for a while I think Nigeria will do well. No real reasoning behind it just a hunch. Then they drew probably the worst group in Argentina, Iceland and Croatia so could easily be over by group stages for me.
    Loving the Nigerian kits. They should get a goal start for the quality of them

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Now that the football season is over, thoughts turn to the World Cup..!

Struggling to get excited about this. Thankfully I’m not English as I’d be struggling to get excited about this squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44138600

What’s people’s thoughts on it? Whose your tip to win it? Which team will disappoint? Whose your dark horses that will probably go out in the first round?
    I’d like to say Morocco and Iran will impress as dark horses, but given they are both with Spain and Portugal I can’t see both progressing. Iran have Carlos Queiroz as coach and have a very impressive qualification record and are bringing through both creative and goal scoring players now to go with their miserly defence.

I don’t know who’ll win it but I’d wager Germany won’t be far away.

Left by mutual consent!
    I think the action off the pitch will be more exciting than the action on it.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    I see the England squad is being slated by many already. Squads of yesteryear went with great expectations and failed miserably, this one has no chance apparently and will probably fail miserably. No difference really, I hope we do well, we probably won't. I love the WC though and hope Brazil live up to expectations.

Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    I think the action off the pitch will be more exciting than the action on it.
    I was thinking the same but I’m sure on the ITV documentary the other night there was a Russian hooligan who said 90 per cent of Russian hooligans have signed an agreement not to cause trouble.

So that puts paid to that then

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    I see the England squad is being slated by many already. Squads of yesteryear went with great expectations and failed miserably, this one has no chance apparently and will probably fail miserably. No difference really, I hope we do well, we probably won't. I love the WC though and hope Brazil live up to expectations.
    I really don’t mind if England win it as it will give them something to talk about other than 1966. There’s very little chance they will with that squad though. There seems to be a lot of defenders it midfielders who play in defence.

Brazil need to make up for the embarrassment of the last one where they stumbled around until they got hammered off Germany. Was it Fred who touched the ball three times and two of them were from kick offs in one match?

I was just saying to my mate today that in all the years I can remember, this could be the "worst" England squad to head to a major tournament. Imagine it this was the time they went and done something??

As it is, Brazil, Germany, Spain, France and Argentina all wipe the floor with them in knockout football imo

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    I was thinking the same but I’m sure on the ITV documentary the other night there was a Russian hooligan who said 90 per cent of Russian hooligans have signed an agreement not to cause trouble.

So that puts paid to that then
    I predict a ‘goading’, then.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Fancy Egypt as the dark horses.

I don’t think they’ll win it but think they might sneak into the latter stages, they’ve got a goal scorer in Salah so anything is possible.

@hibs.net private member Bristolhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    I was just saying to my mate today that in all the years I can remember, this could be the "worst" England squad to head to a major tournament. Imagine it this was the time they went and done something??

As it is, Brazil, Germany, Spain, France and Argentina all wipe the floor with them in knockout football imo
    Was saying this to the lad at work. Expectation is low, pressure should be off.

They should be home by the second round. Quarters at best.

Anyone know what their “route to the final” could be?

J

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    I'm not sure why it's being slated, I think it's the best picks given the circumstances and Southgate knows the players really well. It actually looks balanced - a few youngsters and a few older players, but the vast majority firmly in their prime.

They are light on international caps but the outfield squad is massively weighted with players from top-six clubs with plenty European experience.

Alexander-Arnold is maybe the biggest surprise but he's going to be a Champions League finalist and shown up for Liverpool in the big games. Lallana would have been a certainty with a few more games this season, Southgate is a big admirer but not reckless, hence him being on stand-by. Wilshere is probably the most talented English midfielder as it stands but simply hasn't played enough games, pure and simple and I say that as an Arsenal fan.

Some scary-looking squads in the tournament - Germany and Brazil in particular and the Argentinian attack is formidable.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Fancy France to win it this year. Got the best squad around.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

I don't know much about the England squad, but I did see Danny Welbeck live twice last season and thought he was very poor. Maybe just a bad 2 European games?

Anyway, come on Sweden!!!

Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Fancy Egypt as the dark horses.

I don’t think they’ll win it but think they might sneak into the latter stages, they’ve got a goal scorer in Salah so anything is possible.
    They are a decent side, think they will do well

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    I'm out for this one. They should just let the sponsors play off for the best adverts then let the best bribes play off for 3rd and 4th.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Swedish hibee View Post
    I don't know much about the England squad, but I did see Danny Welbeck live twice last season and thought he was very poor. Maybe just a bad 2 European games?

Anyway, come on Sweden!!!
    Welbeck has had a bitty season but I think he's got the most international goals of anybody in the squad and only he and Kane have reached double figures for England.

He averages a goal every two and a half caps or so, and he's scored against a real mix of decent teams and some cannon fodder but a lot of his caps have been from the bench so his goals per minute ratio is better than the 15 goals in 37 caps suggests.

Regardless, he seems to score more regularly at international level than at club level and you can't really argue with that - he gets goals in an England shirt and that's what Southgate needs.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar

but the winner shall come from either one of

Spain
    Germany
    Brazil

Belgium the dark horse

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cabbageandribs1875 View Post

but the winner shall come from either one of

Spain
    Germany
    Brazil

Belgium the dark horse
    Surely Belgium can’t be considered dark horses? They must be one of the favourites.

Would love Messi to get a world cup.

@hibs.net private member cabbageandribs1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Surely Belgium can’t be considered dark horses? They must be one of the favourites.

i thought i had actually deleted that before posting

Germany for me, they're just so good collectively.

Coaching Staff
    Personally I think it is a pretty decent squad who could do reasonably well.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Winner for me will come from either Spain (my favourites) Germany or France, perhaps Brazil.

As for England, they will emerge from the group stage and will lose in either first or second knockout match. England will have done ok to get to the quarter finals, wouldnt expect anymore.

I was flicking through the Bollah family Panini sticker album today, and I was struck by what good players Colombia have. They had a good run last time with basically the same squad so they have tournament nous now, i think they could surprise and get to the semis.

Spain will win it.

I’ve a sneaky feeling Roberto Martinez could get the Arsenal job. Has Thierry Henry on his coaching staff with Belgium too. if they do well at World Cup, he may be in demand and given his age, would imagine he’d look at getting back into a club management job. Although that would mean Arsenal waiting until after WC to appoint a manager and imagine they would have someone in place before that.

I'd say England are the dark horses - less expectation than ever but still with a strong squad.

They've done what they've needed to do for decades - ditched the players hanging around on reputation alone rather than form or ability.

The defence looks too suspect to win the thing, but they have loads of pace, a goal scorer in Kane and a decent amount of big game experience.

Watching this Europa League final is getting me in the mood for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    I'd say England are the dark horses - less expectation than ever but still with a strong squad.

They've done what they've needed to do for decades - ditched the players hanging around on reputation alone rather than form or ability.

The defence looks too suspect to win the thing, but they have loads of pace, a goal scorer in Kane and a decent amount of big game experience.

Watching this Europa League final is getting me in the mood for it.
    England look good going forward but no goalie, ropey centre backs and full backs who can't defend.

Quote Originally Posted by SteveHFC View Post
    Fancy France to win it this year. Got the best squad around.
    Best haircuts and best swagger as well. They deserve a goal start too