hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The World Cup

England's midfield is non-existant. Poor keeper selection too. Defense is pretty dodgy.

The only thing they have is Kane.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member HibbyAndy's Avatar
    France are the strongest team

Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was flicking through the Bollah family Panini sticker album today, and I was struck by what good players Colombia have. They had a good run last time with basically the same squad so they have tournament nous now, i think they could surprise and get to the semis.

Spain will win it.
    Not sure if he’s in the squad but they would have had a belter if a tournament if Falcao had been fit in the last one. Didn’t he damage his leg in a French cup match against a low league team? I’m sure Columbia included him in the squad but he wasn’t fit.

Columbia could be a shout.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post
    I was just saying to my mate today that in all the years I can remember, this could be the "worst" England squad to head to a major tournament. Imagine it this was the time they went and done something??

As it is, Brazil, Germany, Spain, France and Argentina all wipe the floor with them in knockout football imo
    Probably similar to the vast majority of us I'd be surprised nay shocked if the winners were not one of this group, in saying that it'd be terrific if a dark horse did go on to win it just for sheer novelty.

I'm going to put a small wager on Argentina to win it outright as they normally give a good account of themselves and have almost as good a chance as any of the rest.

Looking forward to hopefully watching some great games and also hope it passes without incident from any crowd disorder.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Probably similar to the vast majority of us I'd be surprised nay shocked if the winners were not one of this group, in saying that it'd be terrific if a dark horse did go on to win it just for sheer novelty.

I'm going to put a small wager on Argentina to win it outright as they normally give a good account of themselves and have almost as good a chance as any of the rest.

Looking forward to hopefully watching some great games and also hope it passes without incident from any crowd disorder.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    I know you have to factor in the genius that is Messi, but looking at the their qualifying campaign and their 6-1 annihilation against Spain recently I'd be shocked if Argentina were anywhere near the final. I think Colombia and Uruguay have as much chance from South America of lifting the coverted trophy. Brazil were easily the best team in qualification from South America but im pretty convinced the winner will come from Europe.

Really looking forward to it. Love the world cup.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsbollah View Post
    England look good going forward but no goalie, ropey centre backs and full backs who can't defend.
    I don’t think they’ve got the midfield to really control a game against a top side.

In a one off game I think England are capable of beating anyone but I think the likelihood of them doing that against 3 or 4 top teams in a row is pretty slim.

Cant believe Brandon Barker didnt make the England squad.

Quote Originally Posted by Lancs Harp View Post
    Cant believe Brandon Barker didnt make the England squad.
    He’s not from England, he’s from Manchester 😜

Left by mutual consent!
    I know you have to factor in the genius that is Messi, but looking at the their qualifying campaign and their 6-1 annihilation against Spain recently I'd be shocked if Argentina were anywhere near the final. I think Colombia and Uruguay have as much chance from South America of lifting the coverted trophy. Brazil were easily the best team in qualification from South America but im pretty convinced the winner will come from Europe.

Really looking forward to it. Love the world cup
    Me too. Hopefully some brilliant games and great goals with some memorable individual standout moments included.

Mon the Cabbage!!!

I can't see past the Germans.

I love the world cup, football just about every night

Truthfully, who gives a flying Donald Duck?

Anyone more intelligent than me able to work out what times the game will kick off in Florida time?

I’m on holiday for the first couple of weeks of it and been trying to work it out but I’m getting a sore head trying to work out if the advertised kick off times are uk time or local times, then I’m guessing there’ll be various different time zones across Russia?

Quote Originally Posted by lgnsh70 View Post
    Me too. Hopefully some brilliant games and great goals with some memorable individual standout moments included.

Mon the Cabbage!!!
    Some World Cups have been anti-football snore fests but I have high hopes for this one.

Kamikazi attacking football seems quite popular right now and this season's Champions League has been brilliant.

It could be a cracker.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Anyone more intelligent than me able to work out what times the game will kick off in Florida time?

I’m on holiday for the first couple of weeks of it and been trying to work it out but I’m getting a sore head trying to work out if the advertised kick off times are uk time or local times, then I’m guessing there’ll be various different time zones across Russia?
    Probably between 6am and 2pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Haymaker View Post
    Probably between 6am and 2pm.
    Great, thanks.

Great, thanks.
    Might be earlier than 6 depending on time zones in Russia but I'd imagine they'd want lunch/afternoon/evening at reasonable times for European viewers so that'll mean early starts!

The opening game between Russia and Saudi Arabia will kick off at 11am Florida time.

Portugal v Spain on day 2 will kick off at 2pm Florida time.

Germany v Mexico 11am
    Brazil v Switzerland 2pm
    Tunisia v England 2pm

The earliest kick offs in Florida will be 8am.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Now that the football season is over, thoughts turn to the World Cup..!

Struggling to get excited about this. Thankfully I’m not English as I’d be struggling to get excited about this squad.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44138600

What’s people’s thoughts on it? Whose your tip to win it? Which team will disappoint? Whose your dark horses that will probably go out in the first round?
    Most of the big guns..don't have much value.

Uraguay at 33/1 to win is not likely to happen....But e/w is a Big Big price!

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    The opening game between Russia and Saudi Arabia will kick off at 11am Florida time.

Germany v Mexico 11am
    Brazil v Switzerland 2pm
    Tunisia v England 2pm

Brilliant cheers, that probably works out well for me, although as much as I love the World Cup I can’t see me adjusting my plans too much to make sure I get to watch the games.

If its any help, UK kick off times are 1pm, 4pm and 7pm. Then the knock out matches are all at 3pm and 7pm. The final is at 4pm.

Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post

Germany v Mexico 11am
    Brazil v Switzerland 2pm
    Tunisia v England 2pm

Cheers for that, glad I won't have to be up at ridiculous o'clock

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Clerie Green View Post
    Truthfully, who gives a flying Donald Duck?

Quite a few people by the look of it.

I've enjoyed the season and I'm looking forward to the World Cup.
    It'll be great!

@hibs.net private member Mr White's Avatar
    First world cup that my son will be able to follow properly. He watched bits and pieces 4 years ago but didn't really understand what was going on.

He's got the pannini album this year as well as a pretty solid understanding of the countries competing and which ones have players he's seen on TV playing for their club sides. I'm really looking forward to a month of the best footballers in the world showing what they can do

I absolutely love the world cup. I fully intend to watch every game I possibly can.

Anyone else not feeling like this will be a good World Cup? Maybe it's just because I thought the last one in Brazil was the best I've seen so far, drama, controversy, great goals and great games. Loved following Brazil and how passionate they were when playing plus singing the national anthem. I don't get the same feeling about Russia.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Anyone else not feeling like this will be a good World Cup? Maybe it's just because I thought the last one in Brazil was the best I've seen so far, drama, controversy, great goals and great games. Loved following Brazil and how passionate they were when playing plus singing the national anthem. I don't get the same feeling about Russia.
    I don't know why, but the fact it is being held in Russia does take away from it a bit for me.

Brazil, USA, Japan, other European countries - all of these are a bit more glamorous and fun than Russia.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    There's enough strong teams in it to make for a cracking finale - Brazil, Germany, France, Argentina, Spain with Colombia, Uruguay, Portugal and England all potentially jousting in the latter stages. A rake of teams who could strike lucky and make it to the semis - Switzerland, Poland, Denmark etc.

Going by the draw, form and odds, the QFs could be exceptional - Brazil vs Belgium; Spain vs Argentina; Germany vs England and France vs Uruguay or Portugal, if I've got it right.

What seems certain is that England would have to overcome either Brazil or Germany to reach the semis, dependent on how they finish in the groups and probably having to beat Poland or Colombia enroute. And then either Spain or Argentina in the semi or a final. Not an easy task.
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

If its any help, UK kick off times are 1pm, 4pm and 7pm. Then the knock out matches are all at 3pm and 7pm. The final is at 4pm.
    Oh god: 10pm, 12am, 1am and 4am for me in Australia then. Doh!