hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: The World Cup

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone else not feeling like this will be a good World Cup? Maybe it's just because I thought the last one in Brazil was the best I've seen so far, drama, controversy, great goals and great games. Loved following Brazil and how passionate they were when playing plus singing the national anthem. I don't get the same feeling about Russia.
    It'll be a good world cup for me as I'm going to Sweden v Mexico!

2. Log in to remove the advert

Any good Fantasy Football World Cup comps that folk recommend?

To be honest, without Scotland I lose interest until the latter stages, i havent even thought about the WC in the last few months, its the same for Champs League, I even forgot about Europa final last nite and thats f,d up. Maybe its the saturation of the game, ah dont know, but hopefully there will be a couple of big games to keep me interested.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Spain
    France
    Portugal

In that order IMO.

Egypt could surprise a few people if Salah performs. Not many teams will have someone as much of a goal threat.

England’s midfield will have them home by the last 16. Out the group and then knocked out by an average-good team after that.

Egypt...9-0-1 formation (more progressive line up to Leveins preferred 10-0-0 style) could be interesting as they have Mo Sallah upfront..

RE England's opponents should they get out their group this time;

If England progress from their group in Russia they will face one of Poland, Senegal, Colombia and Japan in the first knockout round. Germany and Brazil are among their possible last-eight opponents.

An "Easy tie" last 16 awaits according to Terry the Butcher. Wouldn't consider Poland or Colombia to be easy personally.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenNWhiteArmy View Post

If England progress from their group in Russia they will face one of Poland, Senegal, Colombia and Japan in the first knockout round. Germany and Brazil are among their possible last-eight opponents.

An "Easy tie" last 16 awaits according to Terry the Butcher. Wouldn't consider Poland or Colombia to be easy personally.
    Easy isn’t the right word but I’d expect they’d be favourites against Poland, I don’t know much about the other three though.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Easy isn’t the right word but I’d expect they’d be favourites against Poland, I don’t know much about the other three though.
    I think Lewa and Milik would run riot on England's defence

Fancy Spain or germany

Quote Originally Posted by samcrowe View Post
    Fancy Spain or germany
    Is iniesta still playing for Spain?

If he is I wonder if it’ll be too much for him after a long season, if he’s not I fear they could struggle to replace him.

Such an influential player there’s bound to be a period of transition when it comes to replacing him, even if he retired from international football a year ago that’s still be my concern about Spain.

Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    Would love Messi to get a world cup.
    Same here and my support as such is with the Argies. I fear they can't defend well enough though, but with the wee magician fit and well they have to have a chance. And they almost did it last time around.

Private Members Prediction League Winner Hibrandenburg's Avatar
    Hoping for a Germany v France final. I'll be in Brittany for a family gathering with half and half French/German family members. Has the potential to set the cat amongst the pigeons and make an otherwise boring in law family holiday interesting.

I'd make Colombia favourites to beat England. Poland would be 50-50.

Blog Entries
    Also struggling to get excited but I'd out my money on France to win it. Would really like to see an African team do well.

Quote Originally Posted by Since90+2 View Post
    I'd make Colombia favourites to beat England. Poland would be 50-50.
    That's my opinion too, found the comments from Butcher very strange to say the least

That's my opinion too, found the comments from Butcher very strange to say the least
    Butchers a joke. Colombia have better players in every position with the exception of striker (although Falcao is back fit again with a point to prove after missing the last one through injury), and Poland are imo better than England too. Certainly not 'easy'.

Is iniesta still playing for Spain?

If he is I wonder if it’ll be too much for him after a long season, if he’s not I fear they could struggle to replace him.

Such an influential player there’s bound to be a period of transition when it comes to replacing him, even if he retired from international football a year ago that’s still be my concern about Spain.
    He is, yeah. Very rarely lasts the 90 minutes these days though and Spain have spent the last couple of years phasing other players in to replace him. Iniesta is one of my favourite players ever, but with the level he is playing at now at they can replace/sub him with the likes of Isco, David Silva, Asensio or Koke and the team doesn't really notice it. If anything they benefit from the additional pace and energy that someone like Asensio brings. Hoping Spain or Argentina win it.

No surprise to hear Butcher slavering on about England. The man knows absolutely nothing about football if he thinks Colombia would be an easy game for them. I'll be backing James Rodriguez and Colombia should they meet in the last 16.

Would like Germany to do it, but something tells me it won't happen - France or Spain then - can't see any SA team making it to the final ... be good to see a decent run by the English team - hope Russia don't get out of the Group stage ...

SF1 10 July France v Brazil, SF2 11 July Spain v Germany, Final 15 July Germany V France....Winner - Germany 3-1.

@hibs.net private member One Day Soon's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: 4 PSN ID: 6 Wii Code: 5
    Well with Scotland and Italy not there - and no Wales either - my options for supporting a country I'm connected to are almost entirely depleted. Almost.

I belatedly realised that Peru are there! And since my Dad was born in Peru I could technically be capped as a Peruvian which is good enough for me. Any country that can produce Teofilo Cubillas has to have something going for it.

I'll happily take Belgium, France or England as winners - as long as it's not any of Brazil, Spain or Germany. Realistically its all about strength in depth, some magic and above all tournament mentality - so I can't see past Germany to win it.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Stranraer View Post
    Also struggling to get excited but I'd out my money on France to win it. Would really like to see an African team do well.
    France 7.50 with bet365.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Reading into it a bit yesterday and Mexico could be a surprise package.

Found a Telegraph Fantasy Football and a McDonalds one. Thinking of the Telegrpah one. Got a day off tomorrow due to school holidays, think I’ll put YouTube on the telly for the kids and spend my time productively studying for this.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Think Germany could be the first to do back to back World Cups since Brazil in 1962. France squad is possibly the best but not sure about the temperament. Brazil strong too but think Russia favours a European nation.

Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Reading into it a bit yesterday and Mexico could be a surprise package.

Found a Telegraph Fantasy Football and a McDonalds one. Thinking of the Telegrpah one. Got a day off tomorrow due to school holidays, think I’ll put YouTube on the telly for the kids and spend my time productively studying for this.
    What’s the logic for Mexico to do well? They don’t have many house hold names do they?

What’s the logic for Mexico to do well? They don’t have many house hold names do they?
    They don’t mate. The site pointed out they won their group, have players who’ve played in the top leagues in Europe and they beat Bosnia, Portugal and drew with Belgium in games recently.

In a group with Germany so not sure who they’d play if they finished second.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Always do pretty well in the World Cup and have missed out in tight games usually in quarter finals.

Fifa 98 On The History Channel just now.

For me the World Cup with the greatest collection of players ever

One of these teams will win it: Brazi, Germany,Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Egypt, England, France, Iceland, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Russia and Uruguay.

@hibs.net private member SteveHFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LustForLeith View Post
    Fifa 98 On The History Channel just now.

For me the World Cup with the greatest collection of players ever
    Watched the 1974 film earlier today.

Cryuff was some player.
    Less talk, more gifs. 21.05.16

Quote Originally Posted by ekhibee View Post
    One of these teams will win it: Brazi, Germany,Argentina, Australia, Belgium, Colombia, Costa Rica, Croatia, Denmark, Egypt, England, France, Iceland, Iran, Japan, Mexico, Morocco, Nigeria, Panama, Peru, Poland, Portugal, Saudi Arabia, Senegal, Serbia,South Korea, Spain, Sweden, Switzerland, Tunisia, Russia and Uruguay.
    Very happy to see Sweden there!