hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 17 of 17

Thread: Hibs Rock

  1. #1

    Hibs Rock

    Itís brilliant being a Hibs fan. Poor Jambos - never to know this feeling.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member Jack's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Dont know its too dark in here
    Age
    61
    Posts
    9,692
    I thought Hibs had started selling rock, like Blackpool rock.

    Gutted it's just another congratulatory thread and having a dig at the jambos although my dentist is delighted lol
    Space to let

  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Location
    Hamilton
    Posts
    2,237
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Hibs had started selling rock, like Blackpool rock.

    Gutted it's just another congratulatory thread and having a dig at the jambos although my dentist is delighted lol
    Does BlackpoolHibs sell rock? I'll need to try find him at the next home game...

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    48,840
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does BlackpoolHibs sell rock? I'll need to try find him at the next home game...
    Had a stall outside the east on Sunday, very popular with the ladies.

  6. #5
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,927
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Hibs had started selling rock, like Blackpool rock.

    Gutted it's just another congratulatory thread and having a dig at the jambos although my dentist is delighted lol
    You can buy Hibs rock in Blackpool through!

  7. #6
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can buy Hibs rock in Blackpool through!
    I've got a bit in my house from Blackpool. I don't even like rock but it had hibs on it so I bought it

  8. #7
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought Hibs had started selling rock, like Blackpool rock.

    Gutted it's just another congratulatory thread and having a dig at the jambos although my dentist is delighted lol
    There used to be a sweet shop at the top of Easter Road that sold Hibs rock. Green coated with the word 'Hibs' running through the white bit in the middle. There was another one in the Old Town, Blackfriars Street I think, which also sold it. I don't imagine either shop still exists as most folk have probably stopped buying boiled sweets out of jars (a quarter pound of sherbet lemons was a favourite order of mine).

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There used to be a sweet shop at the top of Easter Road that sold Hibs rock. Green coated with the word 'Hibs' running through the white bit in the middle. There was another one in the Old Town, Blackfriars Street I think, which also sold it. I don't imagine either shop still exists as most folk have probably stopped buying boiled sweets out of jars (a quarter pound of sherbet lemons was a favourite order of mine).
    Ah that takes me back. Casey's was the shop, with a branch on the corner at the top of Easter Road, as you say. The bigger shop was on St. Mary's Street. Casey's survived for years but has been gone for a while now.

  10. #9
    Quote Originally Posted by The Harp View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Ah that takes me back. Casey's was the shop, with a branch on the corner at the top of Easter Road, as you say. The bigger shop was on St. Mary's Street. Casey's survived for years but has been gone for a while now.
    Yes, St Mary's Street, of course. I remember wondering whether there was a link between the club and sweet shop founders given that Hibs began life in that street and that their other shop was near Easter Road.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    You can buy Hibs rock in Blackpool through!
    Yeah, Iíve had it!

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member Just Alf's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Location
    The 'Mains
    Posts
    3,035
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Had a stall outside the east on Sunday, very popular with the ladies.
    R o c k!!!

    Sent from my SM-G925F using Tapatalk
    "The word "genius" isn't applicable in football. A genius is a guy like Norman Einstein."
    --Joe Theisman, NFL football quarterback & sports analyst.

  13. #12
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,682
    Hearts looked at selling their own rock but it got vetoed from above as it plays havoc with dentures.

  14. #13
    Testimonial Due hibby6270's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Location
    Leith, Edinburgh
    Age
    60
    Posts
    1,739
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There used to be a sweet shop at the top of Easter Road that sold Hibs rock. Green coated with the word 'Hibs' running through the white bit in the middle. There was another one in the Old Town, Blackfriars Street I think, which also sold it. I don't imagine either shop still exists as most folk have probably stopped buying boiled sweets out of jars (a quarter pound of sherbet lemons was a favourite order of mine).
    Them were the days, although a quarter of kola kubes was my favourite!!

  15. #14
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Them were the days, although a quarter of kola kubes was my favourite!!
    Preferred pineapple cubes myself. Toffee Doddles were my favourite.

  16. #15
    Commited Shareholder Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Neu Reekie
    Age
    55
    Posts
    6,406
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yes, St Mary's Street, of course. I remember wondering whether there was a link between the club and sweet shop founders given that Hibs began life in that street and that their other shop was near Easter Road.
    It's got at least one link for me as the scent from the shop in St Mary's Street had me slavering all the way to school and back every day. Lovely old shop front although I think it's a graphics company or something in there now.
    I think Casey is a name that has Irish in it so maybe.
    There's still a lot round there that can be traced back to Little Ireland. From Paddy Cavanaghs brass street plates to an old sign above a window at the bottom end reading Sheerin Post Office.
    It can be a fascinating part of our town for a Hibby to be in.

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    East Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,265
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's got at least one link for me as the scent from the shop in St Mary's Street had me slavering all the way to school and back every day. Lovely old shop front although I think it's a graphics company or something in there now.
    I think Casey is a name that has Irish in it so maybe.
    There's still a lot round there that can be traced back to Little Ireland. From Paddy Cavanaghs brass street plates to an old sign above a window at the bottom end reading Sheerin Post Office.
    It can be a fascinating part of our town for a Hibby to be in.
    .


    Exactly so IP, the whole area around the Cowgate and the streets off it are steeped in Hibs history, still feel it whenever I'm down there.
    Not only Casey's (now sadly gone) but also Marins, the traditional Catholic undertakers and of course St Mary's Street Halls where it all began. Can remember buying my very first Hibs scarf on St Mary's St in the early 50s.
    Up until recently there was one of Paddy Callaghan's markers on Pittville Street and another near the original old Porty High School. Do you know of any more that have survived?

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2002
    Location
    Down East
    Posts
    12,130
    Blog Entries
    4
    Quote Originally Posted by ian cruise View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Does BlackpoolHibs sell rock? I'll need to try find him at the next home game...
    Must do. He's Hibernian through and through.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved