hibs.net Messageboard

@hibs.net private member renato's Avatar

Villa fans tonight

I see there was yet another English play off pitch invasion tonight, as there has been for years and years. I await the condemnation from all media outlets down there, followed by a swift and scathing statement from Boro.

It was pretty disgusting seeing all those happy faces and all the brutal non attacking of Boro players. Worst scenes I’ve seen since, well, last season’s playoffs.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Left by mutual consent!
    I'll wait to hear Lee Wallace's take on things before commenting.

Quote Originally Posted by renato View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I see there was yet another English play off pitch invasion tonight, as there has been for years and years. I await the condemnation from all media outlets down there, followed by a swift and scathing statement from Boro.

It was pretty disgusting seeing all those happy faces and all the brutal non attacking of Boro players. Worst scenes I’ve seen since, well, last season’s playoffs.

It was just over exuberance 😁🇳🇬

I mean, the pundits in the studio probably mentioned it about 0 times. Disgraceful scenes.

@hibs.net private member
    But you have people on .net moaning that there were a few kids on the pitch on Sunday, celebrating 4th.

Funnily enough the same happened at Fulham last night. The common denominator was the losing fans didn’t feel the need to join in the exuberance on the pitch...

Left by mutual consent!
    Never understood the need to pitch invade but particularly in this case when your team really hasn't won anything yet.

For goodness sake where were the police horses? Not one to be seen.......just not good enough....

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    It's clear that the problem with Scottish cup supporters and the followers of West of Scotland FC has not been nipped in the bud and is now an epidemic and out of control.

No one listened when the Daily Record fearlessly exposed these dangerous groups as a result of their coverage of the 2016 Scottish cup final.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    It was obvious that the vast majority of Villa fans were unhappy with the pitch invaders. They were booong loudly as the players were forced off the pitch. Also loud chants of ‘where were you when we were ****?’ aimed at those on the pitch.

Quote Originally Posted by gorgiegreens View Post
    But you have people on .net moaning that there were a few kids on the pitch on Sunday, celebrating 4th.
    I noticed that. some of those wayward children should be sent straight to the jaggy jersey hame. disgraceful

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Never understood the need to pitch invade but particularly in this case when your team really hasn't won anything yet.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    It was obvious that the vast majority of Villa fans were unhappy with the pitch invaders. They were booong loudly as the players were forced off the pitch. Also loud chants of ‘where were you when we were ****?’ aimed at those on the pitch.
    They were certainly more unhappy than Sky were, that’s for sure.

@hibs.net private member Mibbes Aye's Avatar

I'm sure there was a pitch invasion when they beat Inter in a penalty shoot-out after a 1-1 draw over two legs in the UEFA Cup in the mid-nineties.

The game was memorable because Villa were a goal down from the first leg and their support booed literally every touch by Inter from start to finish, IIRC.

Regardless, it's despicable behaviour and any Rankgers fans who entered the pitch that day would only have been acting in self-defence
    There's only one thing better than a Hibs calendar and that's two Hibs calendars

Never saw it but didn't the Boro fans run on the pitch as well after being severely provoked ?

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Never saw it but didn't the Boro fans run on the pitch as well after being severely provoked ?
    Was there ear-cupping? Disgusting!

Maybe they didn't cross the halfway line. That would make it okay wouldn't it!?

Quote Originally Posted by JJP View Post
    Maybe they didn't cross the halfway line. That would make it okay wouldn't it!?
    I take the view that had the Security/police done their job, no one would cross the halfway line. Instead of gearing up for going to some other ground , from a match that wisnae finished!!

Quote Originally Posted by poolman View Post
    Only if they were needing to bravely defend the players from the evil Villa hooligans, who launched themselves on to the pitch with their partners and children, with their threatening smiles and joy.

Traumatised

Tbh, I don't quite get the point of a pitch invasion after a semi final win, especially such a ***** game.

Quote Originally Posted by lyonhibs View Post
    Tbh, I don't quite get the point of a pitch invasion after a semi final win, especially such a ***** game.
    Indeed, it was not exactly winning a cup or anywhere even remotely close to the circumstances we had, yet, they did it and no fuss was made, no media outrage and no hastily worded club statements..

Did Boro fans run on and start fighting them? Not really the same thing then.

I think it's more of a tradition these days for the playoffs so pretty much every playoff semi win or game that seals promotion has a pitch invasion. It's a bit of fun so people want to have their chance to do it

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by banchoryhibs View Post
    For goodness sake where were the police horses? Not one to be seen.......just not good enough....
    Probably at Ibrox looking for any wayward Hobs fans

It's a good job they weren't playing Sour Grapes FC, or there would have been 11 injured opposition players and endless press statements of condemnation.

While appreciating all the amusing and pertinent comments I really couldn't care in the slightest how the English football authorities/police and media react to pitch invasions.

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Baldmans Comb View Post
    While appreciating all the amusing and pertinent comments I really couldn't care in the slightest how the English football authorities/police and media react to pitch invasions.
    Thanks for telling us that.

Boro are my local team. Fans ran onto the pitch at the end of the final league game against Millwall, and there have been repercussions for the club.
    They have had to put up extra railings across the front rows of seats, and they must improve security and explain to the League the steps they are taking to prevent a repeat occurrence. These steps must be acceptable to the League, and there will be more severe repercussions, including a fine, if there is any repeat.
    I'm not having a go at anyone, but it's simply not true to suggest that only Hibs get pulled up for stuff like this. The events at the Cup Final were simply higher profile.

Quote Originally Posted by AngloHibs View Post
    Boro are my local team. Fans ran onto the pitch at the end of the final league game against Millwall, and there have been repercussions for the club.
    They have had to put up extra railings across the front rows of seats, and they must improve security and explain to the League the steps they are taking to prevent a repeat occurrence. These steps must be acceptable to the League, and there will be more severe repercussions, including a fine, if there is any repeat.
    I'm not having a go at anyone, but it's simply not true to suggest that only Hibs get pulled up for stuff like this. The events at the Cup Final were simply higher profile.

You must admit, though, it's quite rare.

It's not the 80s any more, so pitch invasions are generally not so bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    You must admit, though, it's quite rare.

It's not the 80s any more, so pitch invasions are generally not so bad.
    The thing is, it wasn't against the law in the 80s, but it is now.
    My guess is that something will probably happen whenever there is a significant pitch invasion, although it won't normally be reported beyond the local media.
    I've just read that Bayern Munich have been charged by UEFA because of a pitch invasion (and an offensive banner) at their Champions League Semi Final.