hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Results 31 to 50 of 50

Thread: The pizza tax

  1. #31
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,455
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its a fair point mate, but lets face it the examples you cite are all things where innocent parties would suffer if laws were not in place to make them illegal. If you want to take on the obesity crisis then instead of making sugary drinks and pizza more expensive why not make it illegal for anybody under 25 to own an X box or eccess Netflix ...... when I was a kid 40 odd years ago it was still possible to eat pizza buy sugary drinks and stuff your face with as many sweets as you wanted but fat kids were few and far between.

    The difference was we didn't all sit in front of a computer or TV screen all day and we walked to school, we didn't get dropped at the door by mummy and daddy .... its a shame we all have to suffer because too many ( far from all ) kids don't take any exercise ..... FFS when I was a kid the loudest sound in the area around 8 or 9 at night was kids parents shouting for them to get their backsides home.

    On a separate note ....... We have a Dominos in Galashiels and I've seen their prices ... bloody hell, anybody willing to pay that for a bloomin' pizza needs help with their mental health, never mind their physical health
    The children who are being brought up on fast food and sent to school with junk and sugary drinks are innocent too.

    And they're really the ones who this legislation is designed to protect. I doubt it will make a huge difference but doing nothing isn't an option.

    Agreed about Dominoes, by the way.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!




  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #32
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,040
    Quote Originally Posted by JeMeSouviens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    What is the specific proposal here anyway? Has Scot gov actually announced anything?

    One thing I would make mandatory is clearer labelling, eg. packaged foods and takeaway/restaurant menus should say in clear, readably sized print beside each item how many calories it contains. And not some fudged notion of calories/portion where the portion size is a 1/3 of the bottle or something. The actual number of calories in the item as sold.
    Agreed. Doing a bit of calorie counting myself at the moment and some of the things I eat / drink don't exactly make it easy at times! As you say, some detail on 'per serving' but a 'serving' is 1/5th of what's in the packet etc.

    A clear indication of how many calories you are eating / drinking if you have the ENTIRE thing would be good - and potentially off putting in some cases. Though I tend to do it less now, it was not unknown for me to eat an entire takeaway pizza at a time without thinking much of it - I now see that eating such an item would use up about 75% of what I needed, calorie wise, in the day! It's certainly made me think twice about eating such amounts now and I go for either sharing the pizza or getting a smaller one instead.

    So maybe price is not the only motivator.

  4. #33
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    36
    Posts
    3,647
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agreed. Doing a bit of calorie counting myself at the moment and some of the things I eat / drink don't exactly make it easy at times! As you say, some detail on 'per serving' but a 'serving' is 1/5th of what's in the packet etc.

    A clear indication of how many calories you are eating / drinking if you have the ENTIRE thing would be good - and potentially off putting in some cases. Though I tend to do it less now, it was not unknown for me to eat an entire takeaway pizza at a time without thinking much of it - I now see that eating such an item would use up about 75% of what I needed, calorie wise, in the day! It's certainly made me think twice about eating such amounts now and I go for either sharing the pizza or getting a smaller one instead.

    So maybe price is not the only motivator.
    Agree with this completely.

    I have madr different choices at mcdonalds and another place i was in recently due to the calorie content being quite prominent.

    I do takr slight issue with the 'its too expensive to eat healthily argument'. Is fruit, veg and pasta really that expensive? Or is it that too many lazy ******* just cant be bothered to cook, and so ready meals etc are just easier?

  5. #34
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with this completely.

    I have madr different choices at mcdonalds and another place i was in recently due to the calorie content being quite prominent.

    I do takr slight issue with the 'its too expensive to eat healthily argument'. Is fruit, veg and pasta really that expensive? Or is it that too many lazy ******* just cant be bothered to cook, and so ready meals etc are just easier?
    Done with a bit thought and planning eating healthily is far, far cheaper in the long run. I could feed my family for 5 days for the price of a large Dominos pizza, give or takr a couple of pounds, no bother.

  6. #35
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Done with a bit thought and planning eating healthily is far, far cheaper in the long run. I could feed my family for 5 days for the price of a large Dominos pizza, give or takr a couple of pounds, no bother.
    Aye see I did say above that subsidies should be brought into consideration and whilst I still agree with that it is true that if you plan your week you save a lot of money.

    The thing is, if you buy a cut up apple itís a pound whereas for another £1 - i like pink ladies :) - you can buy six apples. Thatís still a £4 saving.

    Same goes with salad bags and things. Buy whole lettuces and itís cheaper than a bag of pre made salad. You can mix it up with cucumber and tomatoes etc too. The issue is laziness in this country.

  7. #36
    Testimonial Due
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Muirhouse
    Age
    28
    Posts
    1,668
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Done with a bit thought and planning eating healthily is far, far cheaper in the long run. I could feed my family for 5 days for the price of a large Dominos pizza, give or takr a couple of pounds, no bother.
    Agree but not everyone can cook though. And if you ban dominoes and chippys having BOGOFs processed pish from farmfoods, morrisons, iceland etc will still be there.


    Laziness, education and affordability are more likely the cause of obesity than a pizza franchise having a promotion on a Tuesday and Tescos selling 5 cookies for a quid. Climate an issue to perhaps? Very easy to eat healthy and exercise when its light and the suns shining. Different ball-game when it's freezing cold and pitch black in the middle of January at 3pm.

  8. #37
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Trager View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Aye see I did say above that subsidies should be brought into consideration and whilst I still agree with that it is true that if you plan your week you save a lot of money.

    The thing is, if you buy a cut up apple itís a pound whereas for another £1 - i like pink ladies :) - you can buy six apples. Thatís still a £4 saving.

    Same goes with salad bags and things. Buy whole lettuces and itís cheaper than a bag of pre made salad. You can mix it up with cucumber and tomatoes etc too. The issue is laziness in this country.
    I think education is the key. A lot of people seem to have become so used to opening a packet and chucking it in the microwace or picking up their phone when it comes to dinner that many have lost basic skills. Cooking from scratch can be easy, cheap and quick.

    As an example when I make a sausage casserole I always chuck a couple of cups of lentils in. Cheap, good for you and they both bulk out the meal and give a really nice texture. It takes abput 10 minutes to prepare the dish then the odd stir whilst it cooks for 45 minutes. Most supermarkets have fruit and veg on offer pretty much as soon as you go in the door, Tesco had carrots, apples and new potatoes for 49p a bag this week. If I see that I plan my meals around it. Also when I buy a chicken a small bird would probably do but I buy a bigger one because the leftover meat is perfect for sandwiches and then the base for a chicken salad, chicken wraps, chicken stir fry or any other manner of chicken somethings the next night.

    There's thousands of vudget friendly recipes online, maybe the NHS and government need to work together to get them into a place where people see them.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

  9. #38
    @hibs.net private member Alex Trager's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Location
    Easter Road
    Age
    25
    Posts
    4,176
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think education is the key. A lot of people seem to have become so used to opening a packet and chucking it in the microwace or picking up their phone when it comes to dinner that many have lost basic skills. Cooking from scratch can be easy, cheap and quick.

    As an example when I make a sausage casserole I always chuck a couple of cups of lentils in. Cheap, good for you and they both bulk out the meal and give a really nice texture. It takes abput 10 minutes to prepare the dish then the odd stir whilst it cooks for 45 minutes. Most supermarkets have fruit and veg on offer pretty much as soon as you go in the door, Tesco had carrots, apples and new potatoes for 49p a bag this week. If I see that I plan my meals around it. Also when I buy a chicken a small bird would probably do but I buy a bigger one because the leftover meat is perfect for sandwiches and then the base for a chicken salad, chicken wraps, chicken stir fry or any other manner of chicken somethings the next night.

    There's thousands of vudget friendly recipes online, maybe the NHS and government need to work together to get them into a place where people see them.
    Ansolutely mate.
    We plan our week before we go shopping and then purchase the ingredients we need.

    Strip chickens all the time, many would throw them out.

    I feel like everyone must know how to do this, but itís clear they donít.

    It just takes a bit more effort and planning, especially so if youíve got a family I imagine, but it can easily be done.

  10. #39
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    53
    Posts
    6,159
    What exactly is the proposal? And if it somehow targets pizza why won't it also target chippy food, kebabs, Chinese and Indian takeaways etc?

    BTW, what passes for pizza in this country is generally a joke.

  11. #40
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    4,433
    Quote Originally Posted by scott_b_ View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree but not everyone can cook though. And if you ban dominoes and chippys having BOGOFs processed pish from farmfoods, morrisons, iceland etc will still be there.


    Laziness, education and affordability are more likely the cause of obesity than a pizza franchise having a promotion on a Tuesday and Tescos selling 5 cookies for a quid. Climate an issue to perhaps? Very easy to eat healthy and exercise when its light and the suns shining. Different ball-game when it's freezing cold and pitch black in the middle of January at 3pm.
    Your last point about climate is very true. The idea of getting home from work in the winter having not seen the daylight all day, canít feel my fingers etc then having chicken with broccoli and green beans for tea etc doesnít sound nearly as appealing as a pizza or something. But in the summer the idea of pizzas, pies etc donít sound as appealing to me as they do in the winter.

  12. #41
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,037
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Done with a bit thought and planning eating healthily is far, far cheaper in the long run. I could feed my family for 5 days for the price of a large Dominos pizza, give or takr a couple of pounds, no bother.
    I assume you're talking about the ingredients costing the same as a pizza. Add in cooking time and additional costs and it comes to a lot more. Unless you're unemployed and your family are cats.

  13. #42
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I assume you're talking about the ingredients costing the same as a pizza. Add in cooking time and additional costs and it comes to a lot more. Unless you're unemployed and your family are cats.
    Think PB was suggesting that you do the cooking yourself, rather than hire in a chef.

  14. #43
    Promising Youngster Stick's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2004
    Location
    In la la land
    Posts
    68
    Sorry to interrupt this discussion, but amazed that within a few hours of the word dominoes and pizza being mentioned here, every page is full of "Pappa Johns", pizza adverts. Wasn't logged on at the time. I had no idea that the advertisers actually trawled discussion boards to place their adds.
    Talk about being bombarded with propaganda.

  15. #44
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Stick View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Sorry to interrupt this discussion, but amazed that within a few hours of the word dominoes and pizza being mentioned here, every page is full of "Pappa Johns", pizza adverts. Wasn't logged on at the time. I had no idea that the advertisers actually trawled discussion boards to place their adds.
    Talk about being bombarded with propaganda.
    Pay 20p a week (equivalent) for Private membership and you won't see ads.

  16. #45
    Coaching Staff Future17's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2004
    Location
    "Galactidos!"
    Age
    34
    Posts
    5,163
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Pay 20p a week (equivalent) for Private membership and you won't see ads.
    First a tax for pizza and now a tax for no pizza!

  17. #46
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    26
    Posts
    7,742
    I think education and laziness play a part to an extent - but it's also just a bit harder at the moment because we live in a time of luxury where takeaway options are plentiful and easy, sweet treats are no longer treats and they're readily and cheapily availabile on every corner.

    Someone being branded as lazy here wouldn't be as unhealthy if they were just as lazy but alive 100 years ago. People just have the means these days to eat whatever they want whenever they want, generally.

    I'm all for government intervention when needs must. Although I'm not actually sure what the proposal is in this instance - I googled "pizza tax" and Google just sent me back to this thread.
    Mon the Hibs.

  18. #47
    @hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    1000's of people's Barcelona
    Posts
    33,455
    Quote Originally Posted by Future17 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    First a tax for pizza and now a tax for no pizza!
    Very good.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £1,789.68!



  19. #48
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Although I'm not actually sure what the proposal is in this instance - I googled "pizza tax" and Google just sent me back to this thread.
    "Fat tax"

  20. #49
    @hibs.net private member steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,654
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think education and laziness play a part to an extent - but it's also just a bit harder at the moment because we live in a time of luxury where takeaway options are plentiful and easy, sweet treats are no longer treats and they're readily and cheapily availabile on every corner.

    Someone being branded as lazy here wouldn't be as unhealthy if they were just as lazy but alive 100 years ago. People just have the means these days to eat whatever they want whenever they want, generally.

    I'm all for government intervention when needs must. Although I'm not actually sure what the proposal is in this instance - I googled "pizza tax" and Google just sent me back to this thread.
    I'm with you on this. Pizza tax is so far non-existent and the ScotGov policy direction will be outlined in July. It didn't stop Jim Delahunt making a delahunt of himself and angrily tweeting the First Minister to demand why he can no longer get 2 for 1 pizzas.

    Something needs done. It's a terrible shame to see kids - very young kids some times - bloated from too much food and not enough exercise. Adults, too - but I totally understand life is complicated and food can be problematic.

    Beyond that, I don't buy the 'it's cheaper to have a chippy' kind of perspective and you know, if you don't have the skills, it's not rocket science. There'll always be folk that need a bit of an extra hand and cannot look after themselves, but there's a difference between them and those who just can't be bothered. I once worked in a job in which part of the activity of the organisation was to teach people with learning difficulties how to cook and from there, to run a cafe. It was amazing - independence and skills that people had.

    In many cases for other adults, it comes down to life skills - if an adult of standard mental and physical capabilities can't make a couple of basics to feed themselves (boil pasta, add sauce, chop veg), then really they're only a little bit further on from being toilet trained and tying their laces.
    Last edited by steakbake; 17-05-2018 at 04:34 PM.

  21. #50
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,040
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Agree with this completely.

    I have madr different choices at mcdonalds and another place i was in recently due to the calorie content being quite prominent.

    I do takr slight issue with the 'its too expensive to eat healthily argument'. Is fruit, veg and pasta really that expensive? Or is it that too many lazy ******* just cant be bothered to cook, and so ready meals etc are just easier?
    Here in NZ, I'd say it actually IS quite expensive to eat healthily. Unlike the UK, we have to pay GST (i.e. VAT) of 15% on food too - I believe VAT is not charged on some/all food in the UK? Certainly a supermarket shop here at the current exchange rate is way cheaper in the UK.

    Also, you can get Dominos pizza here for the equivalent of a fiver (pounds) most of the time! It is truly bizarre how expensive it is in the UK.

    Another interesting comparison here though is that 'ready made meals' seem to MUCH less popular / available / good than they are in the UK. There are a lot of takeaways around and Kiwis are as bad as anyone else at eating them, but in terms of cooking their own food, they are much more likely to actually cook from scratch than in the UK.

    I don't know if there's a UK equivalent, but we get a food box delivered fortnightly which has 3-5 meals in it - you get all the ingredients and the recipes and cook it yourself. It's good for actually eating half decent meals, trying new things, and not having to think of what meals to have yourself!

    Overall though, I think it's right to say that price is one thing, but laziness / convenience is a huge factor too. I'm as bad as anyone. If I can't cook it from start to finish in about 15 minutes, I really hate the thought of doing the cooking!!
    Last edited by Steve-O; 18-05-2018 at 02:34 AM.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved