hibs.net Messageboard

 

Results 1 to 18 of 18

Thread: Perspective.

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Blackpool
    Age
    58
    Posts
    48,842

    Perspective.

    Why is it every time we have a team with a set of players who have actually got us into a position where we are actually where we all want us to be, in fact maybe even better than where we probably thought we would be.

    Why is it when we get all this, we have to have a go at certain players, bomb scares, shocking defending, Ambrose, Stevenson, Whittaker, Barker, McLaren have ALL been slaughtered in recent weeks as not good enough, yet they are all part of a squad that has us back to where we belong.

    Do you know how often we get 4th place, or how difficult its been for us to arrive at this place?

    Of course we ALL want better players in every position, but some perspective is needed, we need to walk before we can run, and we are in 4th place, were in a shout of 2nd a week before the end of the season because of ALL the players at the club.

    We have a habit as a support of wanting it yesterday, well we have it now, yesterday is here, and its been achieved with this lot of players.

    We will have to replace some of them, and some might come back, but lets not expect much better than this without some consolidation first.

    We were all asked for patience years ago, when we were absolute *****, we need patience more than ever now, but patience in a much better place, with a better team and terrific manager in place.

    When we are *****, by all means have a pop at the club, but FFS these are the good times, enjoy them while they last.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    Coaching Staff JimBHibees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Amityville
    Posts
    25,066
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is it every time we have a team with a set of players who have actually got us into a position where we are actually where we all want us to be, in fact maybe even better than where we probably thought we would be.

    Why is it when we get all this, we have to have a go at certain players, bomb scares, shocking defending, Ambrose, Stevenson, Whittaker, Barker, McLaren have ALL been slaughtered in recent weeks as not good enough, yet they are all part of a squad that has us back to where we belong.

    Do you know how often we get 4th place, or how difficult its been for us to arrive at this place?

    Of course we ALL want better players in every position, but some perspective is needed, we need to walk before we can run, and we are in 4th place, were in a shout of 2nd a week before the end of the season because of ALL the players at the club.

    We have a habit as a support of wanting it yesterday, well we have it now, yesterday is here, and its been achieved with this lot of players.

    We will have to replace some of them, and some might come back, but lets not expect much better than this without some consolidation first.

    We were all asked for patience years ago, when we were absolute *****, we need patience more than ever now, but patience in a much better place, with a better team and terrific manager in place.

    When we are *****, by all means have a pop at the club, but FFS these are the good times, enjoy them while they last.
    Couldnt agree more you do get the impression some people once they have given an opinion on a player or manager for that matter have to seek some sort of confirmation that their opinion is right so when said player makes a mistake then that is the opportunity to pile in even though they say nothing when the same player is playing well week in and week out. I think it is the nature of forums. Case in point being the manager some were reluctant to give him praise yet after the derby absolutely piled in for all their worth to validate that they were right all along.

    As you say these are the good times with the best position in years, the best support since before almost all of us were born and with the potential to get better given good recruitment. Can honestly say this is consistently been the best season ever IMO.

  4. #3
    All our players are either cup winners or highest modern era points scorers. They may not be perfect but they are the best group we have had for a long time and maintaining 4th or even progressing will be a challenge next year. One we can certainly succeed in but not a given

  5. #4
    First Team Regular Kaff's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    Age
    51
    Posts
    837
    Agree with every word BH, well said.

    Biggest part for me is there appears to be no egos and everyone willing to work hard for their team mates and the club. Quite often players are played 'out of position' but there has been no poor attitude and instead those players quite often have raised their personal level. Slivka, Stevenson and Ambrose the most noticeable to me and each have had their critics.

  6. #5
    Testimonial Due The_Exile's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Location
    East Lothian
    Posts
    2,329
    Some folk just focus solely on negative aspects of the team, mistakes, players being caught out of position, breakdown of an attack, bad decisions etc. That's just the way some folk are and although it's a bit sad for these individuals there's no point trying to reason with them as stubbornness is also one of their character traits.

    At 3-0 on Sunday though, I've never felt the way I felt before at Easter Road (AEK game came close), every single supporter on the same page, willing that bloody amazing bunch of lads on. It went to 5-3 and a lot of folk started streaming out and I felt a bit gutted, never before has folk leaving early bothered me but I felt gutted for the players that folk were chucking the towel in, the team needed us and those of us who did stay on got right behind them and I feel they fed off that and ended up getting a deserved share of the points.

    With about half an hour to go it dawned on me that this was the last time we would see a lot of these guys play for us so I just sat and enjoyed every pass, every move, every break forward and clearance, these guys had absolutely battled and fought and given everything for our club this season and for some, many seasons before. I was a bit emotional at the final whistle and when the players came out for the lap of honour. What a phenomenal end to an absolutely amazing past few years.

  7. #6
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,683
    Where is all this criticism?

    Other than a vocal minority (the type who shout abuse from the stands and will never be happy) I see a fairly contented support.

    There are always a few who just canít see what, say, Dylan or Lewis bring to the team, but they are easily ignored.

    Am I wrong?

    BH is right in general - top 4 means we are finally punching our weight again. Next step is to do this consistently and build a real platform for success.

  8. #7
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where is all this criticism?

    Other than a vocal minority (the type who shout abuse from the stands and will never be happy) I see a fairly contented support.

    There are always a few who just canít see what, say, Dylan or Lewis bring to the team, but they are easily ignored.

    Am I wrong?

    BH is right in general - top 4 means we are finally punching our weight again. Next step is to do this consistently and build a real platform for success.
    A very vocal minority often with their own agendas.

    I've always been of the opinion that if a Hibs player isn't very good, he is still a Hibs player and as a Hibs supporter I should give that player my support.

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member worcesterhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Worcester, Sassanachland
    Posts
    1,921
    Quote Originally Posted by The_Exile View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Some folk just focus solely on negative aspects of the team, mistakes, players being caught out of position, breakdown of an attack, bad decisions etc. That's just the way some folk are and although it's a bit sad for these individuals there's no point trying to reason with them as stubbornness is also one of their character traits.

    At 3-0 on Sunday though, I've never felt the way I felt before at Easter Road (AEK game came close), every single supporter on the same page, willing that bloody amazing bunch of lads on. It went to 5-3 and a lot of folk started streaming out and I felt a bit gutted, never before has folk leaving early bothered me but I felt gutted for the players that folk were chucking the towel in, the team needed us and those of us who did stay on got right behind them and I feel they fed off that and ended up getting a deserved share of the points.

    With about half an hour to go it dawned on me that this was the last time we would see a lot of these guys play for us so I just sat and enjoyed every pass, every move, every break forward and clearance, these guys had absolutely battled and fought and given everything for our club this season and for some, many seasons before. I was a bit emotional at the final whistle and when the players came out for the lap of honour. What a phenomenal end to an absolutely amazing past few years.

    Great post...as was the OP

    Just makes you wish we could just have a lottery winner pump in a few quid to keep that team together. If we had another full season with that squad I really think they could achieve something special.

    I've had a moan about the early leavers on another thread, but I suppose it's a natural result of a successful team and high attendances. A lot of the people who are at the games just now are people who couldn't be bothered watching Hibs when they were struggling, so it's no surprise that they walk away as soon as things get tough. Thankfully the team showed them that they should have had more faith, I hope they felt a bit stupid when the heard the roar as the equaliser went in.

  10. #9
    Coaching Staff
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Antwerp
    Posts
    8,326
    In time we will look back at the two years that started on the 21st of may 2016 and think wow. That was a good time to be a hibs fan. People should learn to enjoy it whilst they can otherwise it'll pass them by.

    Nothing wrong with wanting better - we all do, but you need to appreciate what you have before you at the same time.

  11. #10
    Coaching Staff jacomo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Location
    exile
    Posts
    13,683
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A very vocal minority often with their own agendas.

    I've always been of the opinion that if a Hibs player isn't very good, he is still a Hibs player and as a Hibs supporter I should give that player my support.


  12. #11
    We must strive for perfection, reluctantly tolerate excellence and scorn failure. It is possible to enjoy whatís happening yet identify room for improvement and provide criticism where itís warranted. After all, our manager will be doing the same.

    Where it is unwarranted is where criticism is used as kind of stress relief for personal neurosis. Such people should have a Joe McBride, or if that isnít possible, a Sherman tank before they leave home. Perhaps the club might provide facilities for the latter?

  13. #12
    Testimonial Due mjhibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Portobello
    Age
    57
    Posts
    4,357
    Quote Originally Posted by Geo_1875 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    A very vocal minority often with their own agendas.

    I've always been of the opinion that if a Hibs player isn't very good, he is still a Hibs player and as a Hibs supporter I should give that player my support.
    Exactly what a supporter is. How people can't see how good mcgoechs been is beyond me. The pundits are saying it, the Scotland manager is saying it and even most hertz fans are saying it. A sublime player by Scottish standards then again many didn't think Scotty was any good till the last few months. 2 defeats in something like 17 matches, seven wins in a row at home, beating all the top teams. Still at least we don't say our team are dorg******* when we don't play well. Surely no fan would sink that low would they. Hmm.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Narnia
    Posts
    21,999
    Saw this today and itís also kinda related.
    Attached Images Attached Images

  15. #14
    Testimonial Due RoslinInstHibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    penicuik
    Age
    37
    Posts
    1,116
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Where is all this criticism?

    Other than a vocal minority (the type who shout abuse from the stands and will never be happy) I see a fairly contented support.

    There are always a few who just canít see what, say, Dylan or Lewis bring to the team, but they are easily ignored.

    Am I wrong?

    BH is right in general - top 4 means we are finally punching our weight again. Next step is to do this consistently and build a real platform for success.
    was very surprised at how much moaning was going on after the match as we were all making away down the stairs in the FF upper, loads of dead weigh apparently in the team, with 4 or 5 "nowhere" near good enough. some folk are just never happy

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Higgo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Midlothian
    Posts
    581
    There are certain members who go very quiet when we are on a decent run of form only to reappear when things go downhill. I find that behaviour bizarre.

  17. #16
    Testimonial Due Geo_1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Location
    In my Joy Division Oven Gloves
    Posts
    4,087
    Quote Originally Posted by RoslinInstHibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    was very surprised at how much moaning was going on after the match as we were all making away down the stairs in the FF upper, loads of dead weigh apparently in the team, with 4 or 5 "nowhere" near good enough. some folk are just never happy
    Some folk have obviously never seen Hibs at their worst. I've been delighted at Hibs progress this season and actually excited going to watch them.

  18. #17
    Agree with the general principle - some folk are just never happy and only want to post/shout the negatives.

    However, just because we're having a good season doesn't mean people shouldn't post honest opinions and highlight where they think we can improve (even if I disagree with the majority of them ). Our gaffer is the perfect example of not accepting mediocrity and striving to improve. I guess the point is that the moaning should be of a lower degree when we're going well.

    The Celtic forums must be pretty boring though if they all just spend the season agreeing how good things are. In fact.. they probably are pretty boring

    Again though - you make a fair point. And the fact someone sat across from me thought Scott Allan was too lazy and had a nightmare on Sunday accentuates that.

  19. #18
    Coaching Staff One Day Soon's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    In hope
    Age
    54
    Posts
    7,588
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Why is it every time we have a team with a set of players who have actually got us into a position where we are actually where we all want us to be, in fact maybe even better than where we probably thought we would be.

    Why is it when we get all this, we have to have a go at certain players, bomb scares, shocking defending, Ambrose, Stevenson, Whittaker, Barker, McLaren have ALL been slaughtered in recent weeks as not good enough, yet they are all part of a squad that has us back to where we belong.

    Do you know how often we get 4th place, or how difficult its been for us to arrive at this place?

    Of course we ALL want better players in every position, but some perspective is needed, we need to walk before we can run, and we are in 4th place, were in a shout of 2nd a week before the end of the season because of ALL the players at the club.

    We have a habit as a support of wanting it yesterday, well we have it now, yesterday is here, and its been achieved with this lot of players.

    We will have to replace some of them, and some might come back, but lets not expect much better than this without some consolidation first.

    We were all asked for patience years ago, when we were absolute *****, we need patience more than ever now, but patience in a much better place, with a better team and terrific manager in place.

    When we are *****, by all means have a pop at the club, but FFS these are the good times, enjoy them while they last.

    I think this is an absolutely outstanding post.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved