hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Scott Martin

Quote Originally Posted by vince1973 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He’s played over 50 senior games in his career albeit mostly in lower leagues. You’ve stated exactly why he’s not been able to break into the Hibs team, most midfielders in this league would struggle to make the Hibs first 11. SM is a good footballer and hopefully will be given his chance to grab a place in the team.
    I meant senior games for Hibs.

I think the fact that he's not even been kept as a squad player or been regularly on the bench is an indication of his place in the pecking order at Hibs.

Despite being 2 years younger, fellow midfielder Fraser Murray has been retained and has appeared on the bench several times this season.

I have no axe to grind and as I said before I'll be more than happy if I'm proved wrong and Scott Martin becomes an established first team player at Hibs.

I just won't be putting money on it.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Fwiw I think Lennon has done well by Shaw and Porteous. A bit of game time here and then pulling them out the limelight before having time to settle into it. Keep them hungry and working hard to get back in again. I have high hopes for them next season.

Quote Originally Posted by indiejak1413 View Post
    I very much doubt if Scotty will make it to the 1st team . If Porteous was MOTM against Rangers then dropped the following week then what chance has the lad got. It's a harsh reality but Hibs youth policy is basically a waste of time.

Sent from my SM-G965F using Tapatalk
    *LOOK AT ME* *LOOK AT ME*

Quote Originally Posted by Centre Hawf View Post
    Porteous was playing League 2 and no one was worried about him stepping in. Same with Shaw. What level you were at (which btw Martin has excelled in as a YPOTY in a play off placed club) is almost irrelevant when you go on loan as the idea of the loan is to get you playing football and getting chucked about by more experienced lads, I agree with people who say this is his last chance to show it. But he should be at least given that chance considering he's done all we've asked of him when going on loan.
    Porteous is a different case for me. He was playing at that level at 17/18 and it was clearly to develop him. He’s a couple of years younger and already made a far greater impact on the first team. As has Shaw.

I’m not so sure that Martin was out there because Hibs saw it as an important part of his development, more because they didn’t see a place for him at ER at that point. If he’s still contracted he’ll obviously be involved in pre season but I’d be really surprised if he’s in the side next season.

@hibs.net private member ian cruise's Avatar
    I very much doubt if Scotty will make it to the 1st team . If Porteous was MOTM against Rangers then dropped the following week then what chance has the lad got. It's a harsh reality but Hibs youth policy is basically a waste of time.

In no way is our youth policy a waste of time. We have some excellent prospects coming through who don't look out of place in a very good Hibs side. Other teams are playing youngsters out of necessity rather than due to their ability meaning they deserve their slot while we are signing proven and internationally capped players to play in the same position as some of our up and coming players.

The point I'm trying to make is that these lads no matter how well they play when they get a chance the following week they're dropped. Now I'm sorry but Porteous shouldn't have been dropped after the Rangers game at Ibrox. How are we going to know if these lads are any good if they don't get a chance. I'd rather see a good youth player with a bit of hunger and desire than a proven capped cheap import .

The point I'm trying to make is that these lads no matter how well they play when they get a chance the following week they're dropped. Now I'm sorry but Porteous shouldn't have been dropped after the Rangers game at Ibrox. How are we going to know if these lads are any good if they don't get a chance. I'd rather see a good youth player with a bit of hunger and desire than a proven capped cheap import .

How did we get on after the game at Ibrox?