hibs.net Messageboard

 

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234
Results 91 to 112 of 112

Thread: Royal Wedding

  1. #91
    Coaching Staff NAE NOOKIE's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Location
    Galashiels
    Posts
    9,966
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I suppose it's about context. In comparison to his Dad and even his brother he is more 'ordinary' (I'm not sure how you define ordinary but in this instance I think we can guess). Whilst still being born into privilege he hasn't got the same pressure and expectation of conformity they have. He arguably has been seen more as 'fair game' for the gutter press and his actions, good and bad, have been scrutinised. Many of the headlines are for things that are 'ordinary'.

    All things considered I don't think he comes across as that bad a guy. He was no more in control of the life he was born into than you or I were.
    He does indeed seem to be not that bad a guy, its to the detriment of the cause of republicanism that you see folk having a go at the individuals, when the real target is and should be the concept of inherited position and status that they embody .... not the wealth, any of it they can prove is theirs and which doesn't rightfully belong to the citizens of the UK they are welcome to.

    As for any of them having control of the circumstances of their birth. No they don't, but what they do control is what happens later, I laugh my arse off when they start bitching about 'their lot' and how tough it is being a royal .... screw that, they could renounce the titles and everything that goes with them at the stroke of a pen, but not one of them has ever done it apart from one notable exception and that had nothing to do with him being against being 'royal'

    At their worst the Windsors genuinely believe that an entitlement to political position ( head of state ) deference and high social status which must be acknowledged by those beneath them is their birth right .... the queen and prince Philip almost certainly believe that to be true. At best the whole family look on the institution of royalty as the family business and they will do anything and everything possible to ensure nothing endangers it.

    They wrap it up in words like 'duty' and 'service' ...... but we republicans know the real truth


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #92
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,500
    Amal Clooney dressed up but George passed by on his way to a business meeting. Heíd grabbed his tie and pocket square from a gift set.

  4. #93
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He does indeed seem to be not that bad a guy, its to the detriment of the cause of republicanism that you see folk having a go at the individuals, when the real target is and should be the concept of inherited position and status that they embody .... not the wealth, any of it they can prove is theirs and which doesn't rightfully belong to the citizens of the UK they are welcome to.

    As for any of them having control of the circumstances of their birth. No they don't, but what they do control is what happens later, I laugh my arse off when they start bitching about 'their lot' and how tough it is being a royal .... screw that, they could renounce the titles and everything that goes with them at the stroke of a pen, but not one of them has ever done it apart from one notable exception and that had nothing to do with him being against being 'royal'

    At their worst the Windsors genuinely believe that an entitlement to political position ( head of state ) deference and high social status which must be acknowledged by those beneath them is their birth right .... the queen and prince Philip almost certainly believe that to be true. At best the whole family look on the institution of royalty as the family business and they will do anything and everything possible to ensure nothing endangers it.

    They wrap it up in words like 'duty' and 'service' ...... but we republicans know the real truth
    The foot soldiers of the class system are the English middle classes. A truly vile bunch who think they are better rather than luckier than everyone else.

  5. #94
    Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    16,280
    Yet we are happy to pay to help fund football players who earn an obscene amount of money in relation to the normal working man.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  6. #95
    @hibs.net private member Pete's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2002
    Location
    North stand
    Posts
    16,301
    Quote Originally Posted by Pretty Boy View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    It's quite interesting to note that despite the 'marketing' of this as the modern, multicultural British wedding the crowd is very, very white.
    I think the point is that itís not as white as such occasions in the past where the only black people to be found were serving drinks at the reception.

    Iím uncomfortable with the principle of royalty but this is an example of the positive power they have. In one fell swoop, theyíve probably made the windrush generation and the black community feel like a part of British society more effectively than the decades of effort by any group of politicians.

  7. #96
    First Team Regular Johnny Clash's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    Edinburgh/London
    Posts
    815
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    He does indeed seem to be not that bad a guy, its to the detriment of the cause of republicanism that you see folk having a go at the individuals, when the real target is and should be the concept of inherited position and status that they embody .... not the wealth, any of it they can prove is theirs and which doesn't rightfully belong to the citizens of the UK they are welcome to.

    As for any of them having control of the circumstances of their birth. No they don't, but what they do control is what happens later, I laugh my arse off when they start bitching about 'their lot' and how tough it is being a royal .... screw that, they could renounce the titles and everything that goes with them at the stroke of a pen, but not one of them has ever done it apart from one notable exception and that had nothing to do with him being against being 'royal'

    At their worst the Windsors genuinely believe that an entitlement to political position ( head of state ) deference and high social status which must be acknowledged by those beneath them is their birth right .... the queen and prince Philip almost certainly believe that to be true. At best the whole family look on the institution of royalty as the family business and they will do anything and everything possible to ensure nothing endangers it.

    They wrap it up in words like 'duty' and 'service' ...... but we republicans know the real truth
    Youíre right , itís not about individuals but about an outdated ridiculous system that has absolutely no merit. I mean, why this family? What have they or their predecessors ever contributed to society? Iíve nothing against Germans* either. Itís just we donít need kings, queens, knights, lords etc Feudalism is never a good idea.

    EDIT- * (apart from Philpís three sisters and their husbands who were card carrying members of the German Nazi party - hence no wedding invite!)
    Last edited by Johnny Clash; 20-05-2018 at 11:46 AM.

  8. #97
    Coaching Staff HUTCHYHIBBY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2004
    Location
    EDINBURGH
    Age
    47
    Posts
    14,582
    Quote Originally Posted by HUTCHYHIBBY View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was down in Carlisle on the day of Bill and Kathy's wedding and coincidentally will be there on Saturday too. Whilst I had/have no interest in the weddings it has to be said there was a very pleasant atmosphere in most of the drinking establishments (not something you can often say about Carlisle) throughout the day, more of the same on Saturday please.
    It was more of the same, although too many noisy groups of huns as they got themselves out of Glasgow for the day.

  9. #98
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet we are happy to pay to help fund football players who earn an obscene amount of money in relation to the normal working man.
    I get to choose to do that though?

  10. #99
    @hibs.net private member 21.05.2016's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    8,557
    Not having a pop at individuals of the Royal family, they are born into it and are expected to carry out their roles but the entire idea of a Monarchy in this day and age is ridiculous IMO.

    Here we are a country that prides itself on being 21st centaury, modern thinking etc yet here we have a family, through no other reason than birth, have unlimited wealth and privileges. We spend billions on the Royals whilst we also have people living on the streets, an NHS that is stretched to it's limits financially, people in need having their benefits cut, public services having funding reduced etc etc.

    I'm all for a bit of tradition and celebrating our history but IMO the Monarchy is extremely outdated and has no place in modern day Britain.

    Good luck to Harry and Meghan, they seem like really nice people , nothing against them as people at all, I just think the whole Royal Family thing is totally at odds to the progressive, forward thinking, modern Britain we like to think of ourselves as.
    Sir David Gray


  11. #100
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    In one fell swoop, theyíve probably made the windrush generation and the black community feel like a part of British society more effectively than the decades of effort by any group of politicians.
    😂

    "Oh look a black person at a wedding, Rule Britannia!"

  12. #101
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,040
    Quote Originally Posted by Danderhall Hibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I get to choose to do that though?
    If only the fitba cost 65p a year though...

  13. #102
    First Team Regular Mixu62's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    Location
    Brisbane
    Age
    45
    Posts
    646
    Football players have to work their bahookies off to get into that earning bracket and keep working to stay there. A very small percentage of footballers make big money from the game.

  14. #103
    Quote Originally Posted by Pete View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think the point is that it’s not as white as such occasions in the past where the only black people to be found were serving drinks at the reception.

    I’m uncomfortable with the principle of royalty but this is an example of the positive power they have. In one fell swoop, they’ve probably made the windrush generation and the black community feel like a part of British society more effectively than the decades of effort by any group of politicians.
    Agreed. If you consider that 'racial' issues have dogged both our main political parties for much of this year, then throw in the rhetoric which surrounds Donald Trump, it's little surprise that that the wedding has been welcomed by black communities on both sides of the Atlantic. Who would once have thought that such an event could be the one to engender a genuine sense of inclusivity?

    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-44185751

  15. #104
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If only the fitba cost 65p a year though...
    If it was a 65p compulsory fee to all taxpayers then itíd make it cheaper for those of us that choose to invest more?

  16. #105
    Meghan Merkel has been spirit cooking with George Soro's son.

    https://imgur.com/9I7U883


    The Royal Family are the head of the serpent.
    Last edited by HomeTeam; 21-05-2018 at 02:54 PM.

  17. #106
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yet we are happy to pay to help fund football players who earn an obscene amount of money in relation to the normal working man.
    Football has brought joy to millions of people so pretty hard to snipe about it.

  18. #107
    @hibs.net private member CapitalGreen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    3,324
    Quote Originally Posted by HomeTeam View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Meghan Merkel has been spirit cooking with George Soro's son.

    https://imgur.com/9I7U883


    The Royal Family are the head of the serpent.
    Everything you say is completely sane and in no way makes you seem unhinged, however that isnít Meghan Markle in that picture, itís Hannah Motley.

    A criticism commonly aimed at Ďnon-believersí of conspiracy theories is that they believe whatever they are told and donít bother to research the truth, yet it appears thatís exactly what youíve done here.

  19. #108
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Everything you say is completely sane and in no way makes you seem unhinged, however that isnít Meghan Markle in that picture, itís Hannah Motley.

    A criticism commonly aimed at Ďnon-believersí of conspiracy theories is that they believe whatever they are told and donít bother to research the truth, yet it appears thatís exactly what youíve done here.
    An example of cloning maybe?

    I will need to review my sources of Intel!

  20. #109
    Scottish Cup Victory - Witness 2016 Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    50
    Posts
    16,280
    Quote Originally Posted by CapitalGreen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Football has brought joy to millions of people so pretty hard to snipe about it.
    You shouldn't have bothered if you couldn't contribute yourself.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  21. #110
    @hibs.net private member steakbake's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Gate 38
    Posts
    7,655
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    😂

    "Oh look a black person at a wedding, Rule Britannia!"
    Yeah, this was the thing that had me shaking my head. Literally no more than 2 weeks has passed since Windrush cases were top news. But hey, a wedding and look how far weíve come...

  22. #111
    Testimonial Due Colr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    London
    Age
    51
    Posts
    2,500
    Quote Originally Posted by steakbake View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Yeah, this was the thing that had me shaking my head. Literally no more than 2 weeks has passed since Windrush cases were top news. But hey, a wedding and look how far weíve come...
    Thatís why Theresa May wasnít invited. She would have tried to deport every non-white face there!

  23. #112
    @hibs.net private member Hibernia&Alba's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Location
    Ma bit
    Posts
    8,984
    Abolish. Head of state by accident of birth represents the pinnacle of superiority by accident of birth attitudes; an embarrassing anachronism.
    HIBERNIAN FC - ON THE RIGHT SIDE OF HISTORY SINCE 1875

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved