hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    15-0 against Peebles Rovers.Was it 8-5 or 4 against Third Lanark with Ronnie Simpson in penalty saving mode?Also the 6-6 friendly against Middlesborough.
    Yep, 15-1 against Peebles, 8-4 versus Thirds, & as you say Ronnie Simpson saved 2 pens! If you saw every one of our 34 league games that season you would have seen an incredible 191 goals! We were top scorers with 106 & finished 7th because only 2 teams conceded more goals than us (85). IIRC we actually played Boro, home & away in a short period of time & won 5-4 away then drew 6-6 as you say at ER. At the time Joe Baker & a certain Brian Clough were in competition for the England #9 spot but Joe blew him away over the 2 games. I was fortunate enough to meet Cloughie in a pub in Blackpool a few years later, I think he'd just retired & was managing Hartlepool. He swore blind he was better than Joe (Aye right!) but he was a great guy, talked football & bought drinks for 2 young, skint Scots boys all night.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Golden Bear's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    15-0 against Peebles Rovers.Was it 8-5 or 4 against Third Lanarkwith Ronnie Simpson in penalty saving mode?Also the 6-6 friendly against Middlesborough.
    15-1 actually. Joe Baker scored 9 and Mcwilliams scored the Peebles goal.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Yep, 15-1 against Peebles, 8-4 versus Thirds, & as you say Ronnie Simpson saved 2 pens! If you saw every one of our 34 league games that season you would have seen an incredible 191 goals! We were top scorers with 106 & finished 7th because only 2 teams conceded more goals than us (85). IIRC we actually played Boro, home & away in a short period of time & won 5-4 away then drew 6-6 as you say at ER. At the time Joe Baker & a certain Brian Clough were in competition for the England #9 spot but Joe blew him away over the 2 games. I was fortunate enough to meet Cloughie in a pub in Blackpool a few years later, I think he'd just retired & was managing Hartlepool. He swore blind he was better than Joe (Aye right!) but he was a great guy, talked football & bought drinks for 2 young, skint Scots boys all night.
    Brian Clough was most unlucky with knee injuries and as a result played only a few games,maybe one season?,in the top league.What I remember most was that Boro had a comedy routine of three dummy runs at a direct free kick ending with Willie Fernie putting it in the net through a by then non existent wall.Iíve been at a few rugby matches with less points than some of these goal fests.