hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar

10+ goals in one game

After the 6-6 v Motherwell I said to myself that was a one-off experience, that I'd never see another game like that in my life. Today has proven me wrong.

The question is: prior to the 6-6 how far back do we go for a game we played in that had ten or more goals?

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    After the 6-6 v Motherwell I said to myself that was a one-off experience, that I'd never see another game like that in my life. Today has proven me wrong.

The question is: prior to the 6-6 how far back do we go for a game we played in that had ten or more goals?
    Rosenberg...early 70s. 9-1 ?

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member greenlex's Avatar
    At all three

Off the top of my head, there was a 9-2 win at ER against St Johnstone in the mid 70s.

Another ‘quiz question ‘. When did we last score 5 goals in consecutive games at ER? I can’t recall it happening.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar

Hibs 9 Rosenborg 1

They scored first, iirc.

We had won the first leg 3-2.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Left by mutual consent!
    That’s entertainment

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by hibby6270 View Post
    Off the top of my head, there was a 9-2 win at ER against St Johnstone in the mid 70s.
    I don't remember that.

I remember it now!

https://www.scotsman.com/sport/class...1976-1-1275940
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 13-05-2018 at 09:40 PM.

I remember this game as if it were yesterday!

http://www.fitbastats.com/hibs/game.php?gameid=39390
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    10-1 or 10-2 v Hamilton I think in the 60’s
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

Blog Entries
    I've been blessed to see Hibs win 15-1, 11-1 x2, 11-2, 8-4, 7-4 & 6-5. I was also not allowed to go to Partick & Airdrie away games (too young) when we won 10-2 & 11-1 respectively in the space of a few weeks. People are also forgetting we scored 8 in a cup tie very recently!
    PS, I was also at the 9-1 & 9-2 games mentioned above. The 9-2 game was King Pat's last appearance for Hibs.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

Me too John, 4-0 & 5-2 up then back to 5-5. Big John McNamee then cleared one , supposedly off the line, which almost hit the net & Jim Scott then scored the winner with a mi**** shot which bounced back off the keeper then Jim & trundled into the net! Great times.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Me too John, 4-0 & 5-2 up then back to 5-5. Big John McNamee then cleared one , supposedly off the line, which almost hit the net & Jim Scott then scored the winner with a mi**** shot which bounced back off the keeper then Jim & trundled into the net! Great times.
    Indeed
    This is how it feels

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Not us but there was a midweek match back in the very late nineties between Motherwell and Aberdeen, it finished Motherwell 5-6 Aberdeen.

Prior to the 6-6 match the closest we've been was 9-0 at home to Montrose in the league cup.

@hibs.net private member Lancs Harp's Avatar
    My Hibs subbuteo team once beat Hearts (playing in Liverpool colours as I havent and never would have a Hearts team, naturally) 21-0.

@hibs.net private member Green Man's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: TheMightyJag PSN ID: FiveOClockHero
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Not us but there was a midweek match back in the very late nineties between Motherwell and Aberdeen, it finished Motherwell 5-6 Aberdeen.

Prior to the 6-6 match the closest we've been was 9-0 at home to Montrose in the league cup.
    That Aberdeen game rings a bell - I think Aberdeen had failed to score in the season until that game. I lived with a Dons fan at the time.

Edit - I’m thinking of the wrong game. A few years later Aberdeen failed to score in their first 3 games then beat Motherwell 4-2.
    Last edited by Green Man; 13-05-2018 at 09:50 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Man View Post
    That Aberdeen game rings a bell - I think Aberdeen had failed to score in the season until that game. I lived with a Dons fan at the time.

Classic Match! Motherwell 5-6 Aberdeen - YouTube

SPL from the archives: Motherwell 5-6 Aberdeen - Scottish ... - SPFL

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jonnyboy View Post

Today's game made me think of that. We were absolutely coasting at 4-0 up, then crumbled, and in the end were a bit fortunate to get anything at all from a game we had looked in total control of earlier on.

Wasn't at the 6-6 but did the Mothers not miss a pen to go 7-6 up, so again a bit fortunate to get anything after being 4 up?

Quote Originally Posted by lapsedhibee View Post
    Today's game made me think of that. We were absolutely coasting at 4-0 up, then crumbled, and in the end were a bit fortunate to get anything at all from a game we had looked in total control of earlier on.

Wasn't at the 6-6 but did the Mothers not miss a pen to go 7-6 up, so again a bit fortunate to get anything after being 4 up?

No, Greame Smith saved a penalty to stop them equalising earlier than they did.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Was there not a high scoring game at Tannadice between the Hearts & the Arabs? Result 4-5 or 5-6?
    As a time reference Rene Moller was playing for Hearts.

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post

Hibs 9 Rosenborg 1

They scored first, iirc.

We had won the first leg 3-2.
    A quick glance through Fitbastats and spookily our next home game after Rosenberg was a 6-2 win against Motherwell. That, as far as I can see, was the last time before today, we’ve scored more than 5 goals in consecutive home games. There’s been a few 5 & 4 goal consecutive games after 1974 but never a 5 & 5. So last 2 home games are unique - in my lifetime anyway.

Probably need to go back to FF days to better it. My dad always said high scoring games were par for the course back then. “You score 3 or 4, we’ll score 4,5 or 6”. Don’t know if there’s any truth in that. Back to Fitbastats I guess.

Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Was there not a high scoring game at Tannadice between the Hearts & the Arabs? Result 4-5 or 5-6?
    As a time reference Rene Moller was playing for Hearts.
    Remember that. Guessing about 1966 or 1967. Thought it was 6-5 or 7-6 but can't remember who for.

Had a look. 1968 6-5 for Hearts. Scottish Cup tie.

https://youtu.be/geGwseTOcq8
    Last edited by iwasthere1972; 13-05-2018 at 10:15 PM.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by iwasthere1972 View Post
    Remember that. Guessing about 1966 or 1967. Thought it was 6-5 or 7-6 but can't remember who for.

Had a look. 1968 6-5 for Hearts. Scottish Cup tie.

https://youtu.be/geGwseTOcq8
    Thanks, IWT.
    I remember a couple of stories from that game.
    Moller got booked because the ref thought he gave him the V sign when in actual fact he was meaning that was two goals United had been wrongly given.
    The other was a Hibs supporters heard the results on the radio when it came on "Dundee United 5 ...." they all cheered because they thought Hearts had been humped and they never heard the second part of the result.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by snooky View Post
    Thanks, IWT.
    I remember a couple of stories from that game.
    Moller got booked because the ref thought he gave him the V sign when in actual fact he was meaning that was two goals United had been wrongly given.
    The other was a Hibs supporters heard the results on the radio when it came on "Dundee United 5 ...." they all cheered because they thought Hearts had been humped and they never heard the second part of the result.
    Wilson Wood who was my physiotherapist who played for Dundee United in that game, told me before the game started the United players were arguing in the dressing room about bonuses and the management were having no of it!
    Wilson said the United players were so wound up that they hardly kicked a ball in the first half!!!

Just showed that Smith majored in irony as it was the only thing he saved in that match, he practically threw three of their goals in that day !!

Quote Originally Posted by delbert View Post
    Just showed that Smith majored in irony as it was the only thing he saved in that match, he practically threw three of their goals in that day !!
    Might be imagining this, but I have vague memories of seeing footage of him chesting the ball out for a corner. If that actually happened, it's a rare or possibly even unique piece of skill for a goalie to display.

@hibs.net private member ano hibby's Avatar
    I've been blessed to see Hibs win 15-1, 11-1 x2, 11-2, 8-4, 7-4 & 6-5. I was also not allowed to go to Partick & Airdrie away games (too young) when we won 10-2 & 11-1 respectively in the space of a few weeks. People are also forgetting we scored 8 in a cup tie very recently!
    PS, I was also at the 9-1 & 9-2 games mentioned above. The 9-2 game was King Pat's last appearance for Hibs.
    Wow!!! That’s incredible.
    "We've also been unsure about what has happened to the receipts of the players who have been sold."
    George Foulkes BBC website 20/3/08

15-0 against Peebles Rovers.Was it 8-5 or 4 against Third Lanarkwith Ronnie Simpson in penalty saving mode?Also the 6-6 friendly against Middlesborough.

1965ish - I was about 5 or 6,year old, we beat both Hamilton and Airdrie 11-1 either in the same season or consecutive ones. I had been to a few games by then but missed them both. But I can remember where I was when I heard both the results.!

Quote Originally Posted by Roxyhibee View Post
    1965ish - I was about 5 or 6,year old, we beat both Hamilton and Airdrie 11-1 either in the same season or consecutive ones. I had been to a few games by then but missed them both. But I can remember where I was when I heard both the results.!
    Did we not put a lot of goals past Alloa around that time also? 10 or 11-2 perhaps?