hibs.net Messageboard

Page 447 of 497 FirstFirst ... 347397437445446447448449457 ... LastLast
Results 13,381 to 13,410 of 14907
    @hibs.net private member scoopyboy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenArmyyy! View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    No way. Fyvie was as average as they come in the midfield. There’s a reason he’s down in the championship now.
    If Fyvie and Hanlon had played against Ross County we would have scooshed the League Cup Final.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    No way. Fyvie was as average as they come in the midfield. There’s a reason he’s down in the championship now.
    Don’t agree with you - fully expect Fyvie to get back playing when fit and get a decent move ....very reliable and effective midfielder

Would happily have him in our squad again

@hibs.net private member BSEJVT's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hermit Crab View Post
    Is Slivka going to become the new scapegoat? Some incredible comments about him. He is a quality player.
    Personally don't see at this stage how anyone can either say that or say that he is pish as we haven't seen enough of him on a sustained basis.

That in itself is a damning criticism given he has been here for a year.

He shows flashes of ability but then long periods of nothing.

I keep expecting a player to emerge from the cocoon but the likelihood of that happening diminishes each times he plays and it doesn't.

What I don't like about him is that he always seems to arrive a fraction too late to make a challenge and his body language and demeanour are awful.

He looks as though he would rather be anywhere else when you see him sauntering about as a sub.

Is Slivka going to become the new scapegoat? Some incredible comments about him. He is a quality player.
    Why does someone automatically become a ‘scapegoat’ when anybody says anything negative about them?

He has qualities, but to say he’s quality when he isn’t a first pick in our current midfield is pushing it a bit is it not?

Getting exciting now with the lead up to the transfer window closing. Im sure Lennon will have a couple of gems lined up!

Definitely not a scapegoat for me. However if Slivka going on loan means we can bring in Scott Allan whilst getting Slivka a run of games elsewhere is a win/win for me

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Gotta love Hibs Net at times. There's a common theme emerging here re Slivka & Swanson, namely that as they can't get a game with us they mustn't be good enough, not showing enough in training etc. Meanwhile nearly the whole board ( me included ) is salivating over the prospect of a return for Scott Allan, who hasn't featured anywhere for Celtc all season. Before everyone says, ah that's because it's Celtc, Scotty only started 6 league games for Dundee in the 1st half of last season. We have to remember managers are only human, they have their favourites & they also have players they don't get. A favourite for Stubbs might not be quoted by Lenny & vice versa. That doesn't make them bad players. Personally I think Danny & Slivka (to a lesser extent) haven't had a great opportunity to show what they can do in their favoured position for a sustained period. However we can only play 11(14) at any time & you can't just choose your 11 best players. If either or both of them leave I'll be disappointed but if it means Scotty returns, my tears will be drying very quickly!
    What Scott Allan does elsewhere is pretty irrelevant though. When he pulls on a Hibs strip he’s one of the best players in the league. The fact he played 6 games for Dundee before coming to us is irrelevant because when he came back to us he was outstanding. He could have been on the bench for Spartans before he signed for us for all it matters.

People keep saying how Slivka needs a sustained run in the team to show what he can do but the good players generally don’t need that. Since January we’ve had Allan, Flo, Mallan and Horgan all hit the ground running because they’re good players. Who was the last guy who came in, took ages to get up and running and then became a mainstay of the team? I can’t think of one off the top of my head really. I always just think it’s an excuse to give guys numerous chances in the hope they’ll come good.

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Getting exciting now with the lead up to the transfer window closing. Im sure Lennon will have a couple of gems lined up!
    Zander Diamond ?

@hibs.net private member Craig_HFC's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wandering_hibee View Post
    100% agree. I was really expecting Slivka to come good this year and unfortunately he hasn't delivered. He does go missing and as you say he hasn't even managed the redeeming feature of scoring. I think he may well leave this transfer window and personally would like to see him replaced with a box to box type plaver or at the very least someone who works hard, tackles well and doesn't give the ball away.
    Are you having a laugh? It's still August FFS!

This place really is ****ing insane at times. It looks like this season's scapegoats have been selected in Whittaker & Slivka...

PERSEVERE
    Verb: pə:ːsɪ'ˈvɪə/
    To not give up.
    To go the distance.
    To stop at nothing.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    What Scott Allan does elsewhere is pretty irrelevant though. When he pulls on a Hibs strip he’s one of the best players in the league. The fact he played 6 games for Dundee before coming to us is irrelevant because when he came back to us he was outstanding. He could have been on the bench for Spartans before he signed for us for all it matters.

People keep saying how Slivka needs a sustained run in the team to show what he can do but the good players generally don’t need that. Since January we’ve had Allan, Flo, Mallan and Horgan all hit the ground running because they’re good players. Who was the last guy who came in, took ages to get up and running and then became a mainstay of the team? I can’t think of one off the top of my head really. I always just think it’s an excuse to give guys numerous chances in the hope they’ll come good.
    How many players come in and score winning goals away at Ibrox and at home v Celtic in their first season with us? Slivka made some meaningful contributions last season, at both ends of the campaign, and was injured for many weeks too.

I can understand why some might not be fully convinced by him (I rate him, and think he will be a good player for us), but some people don't half exaggerate the perceived negatives, as perfectly exemplified by some of the most recent posts - where even his body language as a sub is being negatively assessed.

I also think it's worth recalling that he scored 2 top quality winners v The Huns & Celtic last season. I agree he needs to push on, but I'd rather give him the chance to do it here than elsewhere. We need different kinds of players and options for midfield in what is going to be a long season (particularly with the run in Europe we've already had). If it doesn't work out for him then so be it, but he's definitely worth holding onto at the moment, imo.

Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Zander Diamond ?
    A couple? Pele and Eusebio?
    For older viewers....

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    How many players come in and score winning goals away at Ibrox and at home v Celtic in their first season with us? Slivka made some meaningful contributions last season, at both ends of the campaign, and was injured for many weeks too.

I can understand why some might not be fully convinced by him (I rate him, and think he will be a good player for us), but some people don't half exaggerate the perceived negatives, as perfectly exemplified by some of the most recent posts - where even his body language as a sub is being negatively assessed.
    But between doing that he done very little which is the issue. I don’t think he’s a bad player and I agree he did make a couple of contributions last year, but I just don’t think he’s that great either. I was going to say capable of some good and some bad but I wouldn’t even say he’s ever bad as such, he’s just totally anonymous far too often for me. I wouldn’t worry about keeping him on our books as a squad player but equally I’d lose no sleep if he was moved on to free up a wage for someone else.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    But between doing that he done very little which is the issue. I don’t think he’s a bad player and I agree he did make a couple of contributions last year, but I just don’t think he’s that great either. I was going to say capable of some good and some bad but I wouldn’t even say he’s ever bad as such, he’s just totally anonymous far too often for me. I wouldn’t worry about keeping him on our books as a squad player but equally I’d lose no sleep if he was moved on to free up a wage for someone else.
    He was injured for three months between Jan and March. Before then he featured in many games, in which our form was good.

I would be amazed if we were even remotely thinking of moving him on. He started 5 out of 6 European games, the only one he didn't was the dead rubber in the Faroes. As I said, fair enough that some are not convinced, but some of the derogatory comments on here about him are bizarre.

@hibs.net private member allmodcons's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Craig_HFC View Post
    Are you having a laugh? It's still August FFS!

This place really is ****ing insane at times. It looks like this season's scapegoats have been selected in Whittaker & Slivka...

Agree 100%. We have a couple of scapegoats in Whittaker & Slivka and this after a decent start to the season.

There will be some serious nonsense posted on here if our form dips.
    Last edited by allmodcons; 28-08-2018 at 11:40 AM.

Whilst I’ll always appreciate his role in the cup run of 2016, I always felt he slowed the game down and was a very poor version of Dylan McGeouch. Also what has stuck with me was when we went 0-2 down to Aberdeen at Hampden in 2017 and he was taken off to be replaced by Holt after 35 mins or so he trudged off slow enough that he could have been accused of time wasting. I get he will have been gutted but the team is more important at the end of the day. Don’t know why that’s stuck with me so much but it has.
    That's stuck with me too, oddly enough. Seemed really unprofessional and petulant.

I never thought he was all that good as a player. Like not at all bad, but nothing more than average.

Mitchell back to Hearts imminent, Burns going on loan to Livi:

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/45331740

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Blaster View Post
    I would like to see Slivka go out on loan and get a full season of starting games under his belt
    What is it with this fascination of loaning out players that are good quality squad/team players?

We need a strong squad, which means there will be players of variable quality, but players who we will need over the course of a season.

If we loan him out, along with others like Porteous and Shaw who i've also seen posts saying they should be loaned out, we'd need replacements in, where is this money coming from and would they be any better?

Either you have it or you dont, and over the course of last season, Slivka contributed towards us gaining 4th place.

We have lost a whole midfield, and to be perfectly honest, we need more stability, we dont need even more players coming in who'd need time to adjust.

If he's not a starter, he's a player who can come in and contribute, which he has done to some very good effect at times.

Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post
    What is it with this fascination of loaning out players that are good quality squad/team players?

We need a strong squad, which means there will be players of variable quality, but players who we will need over the course of a season.

If we loan him out, along with others like Porteous and Shaw who i've also seen posts saying they should be loaned out, we'd need replacements in, where is this money coming from and would they be any better?

Either you have it or you dont, and over the course of last season, Slivka contributed towards us gaining 4th place.

We have lost a whole midfield, and to be perfectly honest, we need more stability, we dont need even more players coming in who'd need time to adjust.

If he's not a starter, he's a player who can come in and contribute, which he has done to some very good effect at times.
    Agree with that.

Plus, I thought one of the reasons the Development League is now the Reserve League was so players such as Slivka can get more game time if they are not getting enough time in the 1st team.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by blackpoolhibs View Post

Fair points TBH.

I thought a loan move for him could be a good idea so we could try to work out what his best position is, i think he could do with a run of games to show that and i don't think he'll get that opportunity too often with us.

Can't argue with any of the points you've made though.

@hibs.net private member Allant1981's Avatar
    Aberdeen are also significantly weaker than last season. We hardly set the heather alight on Saturday did we?

If a game turns in to a battle, as it stands, we’ll lose IMO.
    we were actually ok in spells, i think you are doing our players a big disservice, there are plenty players in that team who will be up for a scrap if need be, gray, mcgregor, porteous, stevenson are no shrinking violets, add in milligan who sounds like a decent DM and bartley if required also and you have a team of fighters

Whilst I’ll always appreciate his role in the cup run of 2016, I always felt he slowed the game down and was a very poor version of Dylan McGeouch. Also what has stuck with me was when we went 0-2 down to Aberdeen at Hampden in 2017 and he was taken off to be replaced by Holt after 35 mins or so he trudged off slow enough that he could have been accused of time wasting. I get he will have been gutted but the team is more important at the end of the day. Don’t know why that’s stuck with me so much but it has.
    Sounds silly to say now but his ball to Stokes on the lead up to our winner on 21/5/16 really annoyed me. I thought he could have played him in quicker but he delayed it meaning Stokes had to slow down. Was fuming at the time. Little did i know the outcome would be so glorious.
    Last edited by SirDavidsNapper; 28-08-2018 at 11:55 AM.

This place is mad sometimes. People describing Slivka as only showing flashes of brilliance and largely going missing in games have just described Stephen Mallan. How some people see him as the new messiah is beyond me, games just pass him by. Granted he has time on his side but so does Slivka. Take the second half vs Asteras, Slivka was moved centre midfield from right wing back and dragged us back into that game. Mallan could only dream of doing that!

Quote Originally Posted by SallyCinnamon View Post
    Sounds silly to say now but his ball to Stokes on the lead up to our winner on 21/5/16 really annoyed me. I thought he could have played him in but his ball was slightly behind him meaning Stokes had to slow down. Was fuming at the time. Little did i know the outcome would be so glorious.
    We (justifiably) moan about lack of movement at throw ins here on .net. Movement and a quick throw lead to that moment, Fyvie played a huge part that day. He didn’t want to play for Lennon, it was simple as that.

Quote Originally Posted by lumbo_hfc View Post
    This place is mad sometimes. People describing Slivka as only showing flashes of brilliance and largely going missing in games have just described Stephen Mallan. How some people see him as the new messiah is beyond me, games just pass him by. Granted he has time on his side but so does Slivka. Take the second half vs Asteras, Slivka was moved centre midfield from right wing back and dragged us back into that game. Mallan could only dream of doing that!
    I actually agree with that to an extent. The difference is though that Mallan looks like he could be good for about 15 goals from midfield this season, so you can forgive him for being anonymous at times.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by lumbo_hfc View Post
    I've seen a few people describe Mallan this way and i don't think it could be further from the truth.

His distribution and passing range from the centre of the park was excellent on Saturday. As soon as he gets about 30 yards from goal he gets closed down though, he'll need to get used to that.

I can only assume he's getting this reputation as he's not running around flying into tackles, that's just not his game though.

Scapegoat ? Slivka? 'fraid that "honour" appears to belong to Whitaker going by some comments made on previous threads. ( unwarranted imo)

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    So we’re onto our third Fyvie debate of the transfer window. Fantastic stuff.

Midfielders flit in and out of games. That's the way it goes sometimes.

You have to ask yourself if the player does enough over the piece - Mallan certainly does, Slivka mostly does.

These are also young and relatively inexperienced players, so you would expect a bit of inconsistency.

Replacing last season's midfield is going to be a big ask, and we're going to need to show a bit of patience with some players who have shown in patches that they have what it takes.

John McGinn used to flit in and out of games. Scott Allan took a very long time to get going during his first spell at Hibs. Dylan McGeouch wasn't necessarily a first pick at the start of last season, yet we (rightly) all hold these players in very high regard.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Fair points TBH.

I thought a loan move for him could be a good idea so we could try to work out what his best position is, i think he could do with a run of games to show that and i don't think he'll get that opportunity too often with us.

Can't argue with any of the points you've made though.
    No worries Bingo , dont get me wrong, if we were bringing in another midfielder who was a game changer, then perhaps it would be time to even sell/release him if there was another team who wanted him?

But at the moment, we need stability more than most, especially in midfield. Slivka knows how we play, he's not always done it but he has contributed well in a few games, and lets be honest here, he's not played that often for us from the start.

It is a squad game now, and the more decent players we have, and the more stability we have, the more consistent over a season we should be.