hibs.net Messageboard

Page 35 of 497 FirstFirst ... 2533343536374585135 ... LastLast
Results 1,021 to 1,050 of 14907
    Quote Originally Posted by BlackSheep View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Said this last week, was shot down quite early... the same rumour was mentioned on here a while back back, but recently does seem to be gathering pace.
    I'd take that if we get Christie too

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

Quote Originally Posted by Billychaotic182 View Post
    Leeds
    They've just got a 300 million war chest so I think their sight may be set a bit higher than our SJM- no disrespect at all to SJM. Indeed if they do want him all the better for us as they might pay silly money

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    They've just got a 300 million war chest so I think their sight may be set a bit higher than our SJM- no disrespect at all to SJM. Indeed if they do want him all the better for us as they might pay silly money

You’re probably right but there name was put out there

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2670072/hibs-john-mcginn-leeds-united-celtic-rangers/amp/

"But, at this moment in time, I'm just concentrating on Scotland, trying to play the best I can and, whether I'm at Hibs for another few games or for the whole season, I would be delighted to be there."

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Utter nonsense,any evidence to back up your statement.

1) So from St Mirren to Hibs brings you to the conclusion he likes being close to home ? What long distance opportunities has McGinn turned down ?

2)Actual evidence that Sunderland would be a great move for him,no assuming in your head that it would be a great move.
    You don't like that idea then.

1) is just a general fact isn't it, people like being close to home where their friends and family are. He's got brothers/sister(?) and by all accounts has a good relationship with them and so being North would be of benefit. It wasn't any sort of criticism of SJM.

2) I don't really know what you expect me to answer to that... I think he'd go to them and be a stand out in league 1, that would allow him to settle at a new club in an environment where they'd be mostly winning and probably bag a trophy. From there I think Sunderland would challenge again in the championship which will be a good level for SJM.
    Mon the Hibs.

I don’t think McGinn would be too keen to go to Celtic where he would struggle to be first choice.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    You don't like that idea then.

1) is just a general fact isn't it, people like being close to home where their friends and family are. He's got brothers/sister(?) and by all accounts has a good relationship with them and so being North would be of benefit. It wasn't any sort of criticism of SJM.

2) I don't really know what you expect me to answer to that... I think he'd go to them and be a stand out in league 1, that would allow him to settle at a new club in an environment where they'd be mostly winning and probably bag a trophy. From there I think Sunderland would challenge again in the championship which will be a good level for SJM.
    He wants EVIDENCE. Do have any evidence HMM?

Sure I heard some post that Fulham were interested in John,this was some time ago and clearly before their recent promotion. On the other hand my memory be failing me,not the first time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ozyhibby View Post
    I don’t think the one year to go thing is as relevant as people think. If clubs want him they will pay the money now because in a years time the manager could be sacked and priorities change. Not to mention other clubs can step in and sign him.
    So long as there are few clubs looking to sign him it won’t matter how long he has left on his contract.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Not sure I completely buy the effect of multiple clubs being in for him inflating the fee that much.

Unlikely to be a bidding war (at least as far as money to Hibs goes) as they basically just need to offer enough for permission to talk to him.
    After that it's surely the appeal of any club to McGinn no?

I think you're right in terms of the year not being a great handicap (as in it won't be 1 mill or less) but I'd be surprised to see more than 3 mill. Stranger things have happened mind ;)

Liam Henderson heading to Parma. £1m. legend.

Quote Originally Posted by hhibs View Post
    Sure I heard some post that Fulham were interested in John,this was some time ago and clearly before their recent promotion. On the other hand my memory be failing me,not the first time.
    I think Fulham would be an excellent move for him.

I'd doubt Sunderland would appeal as much.

I think at 23 he'll surely be looking for English Championship at a minimum level.
    From what I've seen of the EPL he'd have no problems at all in a lower table or newly promoted club (not to say he couldn't shoot higher).

As for the "Close to Home" argument that's pretty irrelevant - I work in London during the week and while Sunderland is geographically closer the transport links from London arguably make it just about as easy. A three hour drive Sunderland to Glasgow and broadly the same for a flight from London factoring in to and from the airport.

Blog Entries
    Every Celtc fan I know has always assumed that SJM would end up with them given his family background. While I hate us selling to either of the uglies if we get a good fee plus Scotty I'd jump at it. If we got a loan player thrown I'd be really happy but would much prefer Lewis Morgan to Christie.

Quote Originally Posted by The Harp Awakes View Post
    Heard from a decent source yesterday that Hibs are talks with Celtic over McGinn. The fee is ~£3m + Scott Allan. Hibs wanting Ryan Christie as well as part of the deal. Rodgers less keen on Christie going, but not far off agreement apparently. No idea what McGinn thinks on the move though.

Only a goer if McGinn wants to go there and after having spoke to him and others have said, he sees his future down south, of course this may have changed but he didn't see Celtic as a challenge for him, he has set his sights higher than them.

Quote Originally Posted by JimboHibs View Post
    Utter nonsense,any evidence to back up your statement.

1) So from St Mirren to Hibs brings you to the conclusion he likes being close to home ? What long distance opportunities has McGinn turned down ?

2)Actual evidence that Sunderland would be a great move for him,no assuming in your head that it would be a great move.

Exactly, was he not contemplating going to USA before he came here, not exactly close to home is it.
    Last edited by J-C; 27-05-2018 at 02:23 PM.

hfc rd
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by 1875STEVE View Post
    Liam Henderson heading to Parma. £1m. legend.

Excellent move for him. They have just been promoted to Serie A. Hope Hendo does really well there!

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    I'd take that if we get Christie too

Sorry just don't believe that will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    Every Celtc fan I know has always assumed that SJM would end up with them given his family background. While I hate us selling to either of the uglies if we get a good fee plus Scotty I'd jump at it. If we got a loan player thrown I'd be really happy but would much prefer Lewis Morgan to Christie.
    I'm in exactly the same boat - hate selling to them but at the end of the day it's all about the deal we get.

Most recent ones I can think of went well for us:
    Allan loan deal for swapping a loan keeper and sending Murray to Dundee.
    Allan to Celtic for McGeouch, Henderson loan and some cash.
    Scott Brown for (the still Scottish record?) £4.4 million.

Probably missed (or blanked) some that didn't go so well or there were some other details in there but, at the end of the day, it's not unlike the situation with wanting certain teams to lose even if they're playing Hearts - the first consideration is the benefit of Hibs and I couldn't care about other clubs if it benefits us.

Celtic are rarely a rival club to any meaningful extent - maybe if we meet them in a semi or final - and even then I think them having McGinn as well as all their other riches isn't the balance tipper.

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    But Mcginn is in the same boat, he’s already broken into the Scottish team and fine well so imo joining and playing well for Sunderland wouldn’t jeopardise his place at all.
    Exactly. I've heard from a very good source (which I won't name) that ideally he wants to play in England. If Sunderland do a "Blackburn" and come straight back up, moving there would not be so daft. They're a big club, and more attractive now than many Championship clubs (eg Brentford, Preston NE, Bristol City). If the money is right for SJM and Hibs I certainly wouldn't rule it out.

What’s a realistic sell on clause we could add on to any deal for SJM? 20%?

If he went for the reported £3m we’d have to give St Mirren £1m and would be a pretty poor deal for us and probably worth just letting him run his contract down.

Although if we add a 20% sell on and he’s successful at Sunderland and after a couple years went for £10-15m (pennies down there) we could be looking at quite a decent windfall in the future. Total = £4-5m (not sure if the buddies would be entitled to any of the sell on though?)

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by El Gubbz View Post

If he went for the reported £3m we’d have to give St Mirren £1m and would be a pretty poor deal for us and probably worth just letting him run his contract down.

Although if we add a 20% sell on and he’s successful at Sunderland and after a couple years went for £10-15m (pennies down there) we could be looking at quite a decent windfall in the future. Total = £4-5m (not sure if the buddies would be entitled to any of the sell on though?)
    £2 million is still a significant amount of money for a club like ours. No way we let his contract run down if that’s on the table.

Quote Originally Posted by El Gubbz View Post
    It seems we gave St Mirren a high sell on percentage to ensure a lower fee. It was a deal that suited both parties at the time.

If an English club already feels they are paying a good fee then to also include a particularly high sell on clause might be hard to negotiate.

Can’t see Mcginn going to league one in England he is better than that.

No way he will be going to league one in England.

Celtic wouldn't allow it

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...gning-12609076

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    The Daily Ranger seems to be the only paper with the Dempster story, its been a while coming but its no surprise that she is being headhunted if the story is true. The good news is that Plymouth are hardly a step up from Hibs and I highly doubt they would pay a CEO much more than we do. LD can afford to bide her time and if Hibs continue our upward trajectory I can see far bigger than Plymouth Argyle knocking on our door.

As for Mallan ..... Though the guy is clearly a good player I always have a wee alarm bell ringing when a player at a club struggling to survive still cant get a game .... I thought this with Stokes and sadly my fears weren't unfounded. I do have faith in Hibs ability these days to rejuvenate a player though, Scott Allan being a case in point.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    The Daily Ranger seems to be the only paper with the Dempster story, its been a while coming but its no surprise that she is being headhunted if the story is true. The good news is that Plymouth are hardly a step up from Hibs and I highly doubt they would pay a CEO much more than we do. LD can afford to bide her time and if Hibs continue our upward trajectory I can see far bigger than Plymouth Argyle knocking on our door.

As for Mallan ..... Though the guy is clearly a good player I always have a wee alarm bell ringing when a player at a club struggling to survive still cant get a game .... I thought this with Stokes and sadly my fears weren't unfounded. I do have faith in Hibs ability these days to rejuvenate a player though, Scott Allan being a case in point.
    With Mallan, Reading Barnsley fans, they seemed quite impressed with him when he got a game but for some reason his opportunities were few and far between.

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    With Mallan, Reading Barnsley fans, they seemed quite impressed with him when he got a game but for some reason his opportunities were few and far between.

Which one is it Reading or Barnsley.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

I had a look at their forums too and thought the same. Sounds like their managers decided they wanted physical players who would battle rather than footballers. They seem annoyed they had two managers with the same idea. Most of the posts I saw were people saying they wanted him to stay.

@hibs.net private member hibbie02's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by brog View Post
    I would be concerned that if we sold SJM to anyone else, Celtic may decide to keep Scottie or sell or loan him out elsewhere. Scottie is the lure that Celtic are going to use.

Left by mutual consent!
    Mallan would be a great fit at Hibs, Neil is very capable of getting the best from him.

If this goes through it would be a great bit of business.