hibs.net Messageboard

Page 254 of 497 FirstFirst ... 154204244252253254255256264304354 ... LastLast
Results 7,591 to 7,620 of 14907
    @hibs.net private member
    2 points I’d like to make.

Brogdan was very quiet on Thursday I’d expect him to be a lot more vocal and at least let the defence know it’s his ball etc.

As for folk saying that was a makeshift defence, I thoroughly agree it was BUT if we lose Paul or Daz to an injury, suspension etc these are the defenders we will replace them with.

GGTTH

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by southern hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote

Brogdan was very quiet on Thursday I’d expect him to be a lot more vocal and at least let the defence know it’s his ball etc.

As for folk saying that was a makeshift defence, I thoroughly agree it was BUT if we lose Paul or Daz to an injury, suspension etc these are the defenders we will replace them with.

GGTTH
    What if Lennon signs another defender?

We will sign other players further forward, who will play instead of a few of those who started on Thursday.

We will be stronger further up the park, that will help the defence should we not sign a defender and we go with Porteous should either of those you mention be injured.

The team we will have out come the end of the window, will bare no resemblance to the one you saw on Thursday.

GGTTH
    I think the problem with that defence was twofold - we were without Paul *and* Daz and we went three at the back.

We have four actual Centre backs and I'm comfortable with Porteous as back up stepping in should any one of Hanlon, McGregor or Ambrose be out.
    I'd also be comfortable with going two at the back though more so if Efe, much as I love him, was the one out. Not a reflection on his skills and more that the no-nonsense approach of McGregor and to a lesser extent Hanlon makes it work better.

There's also squad size to consider. Frankly, if we're missing two of our first choice Centre backs then our squad size *will* mean putting out a team that nobody is delighted with (e.g. a back four with Hanlon and Porteous in the middle and Waugh on the bench). We're doing well but not to the extent that we can have 5 or 6 quality Centre backs on the books ;)

@hibs.net private member
    Gents, I’m not hinting at what we can or will do or sign. I’m saying what we have in our locker at this precise moment.

Our defence with the defenders we have at our disposal have leaked 3 against Killie, 5 against The Rangers 5 against part timers ( over 2 legs) 2 against Blackburn ( not that that was a competitive game ).

Let’s take it one stage further with those defenders we had how many goals in the first half of the season did we concede at the back post? Was it addressed? ( eventually yes ). Doesn’t matter who we have in defence it’s not as good as we seem to think it is. We have good individual players but collectively playing together sometimes I think we should do better than we do.

We have goals in our team that’s a fact but we concede silly goals too.

GGTTH

Gents, I’m not hinting at what we can or will do or sign. I’m saying what we have in our locker at this precise moment.

Our defence with the defenders we have at our disposal have leaked 3 against Killie, 5 against The Rangers 5 against part timers ( over 2 legs) 2 against Blackburn ( not that that was a competitive game ).

Let’s take it one stage further with those defenders we had how many goals in the first half of the season did we concede at the back post? Was it addressed? ( eventually yes ). Doesn’t matter who we have in defence it’s not as good as we seem to think it is. We have good individual players but collectively playing together sometimes I think we should do better than we do.

GGTTH
    only 3 teams conceded less goals than us last season , Celtic , Aberdeen and Hearts . The defence is 1 of the most effective in the league .

GGTTH
    When you look at those games in isolation the defence does look
    In need of work.

However, if you look at it over last season as a whole, we were strong defensively.

I don’t think the games you mention are a fair representation of their ability. Those games at the end of the season we had opened up and were chasing games and goals to try and finiish second. The game the other night was down to a bad attitude IMO and I’d be surprised to see that happen again. For all that it was a ‘makeshift’ defence, it was two guys with multiple international caps and someone seen as a great prospect. It’s only a couple of months ago that Whittaker and Ambrose were two thirds of the back three when we beat Celtic.

I think our problems lie further up the park and that is what we need to address. And we need to do it soon. Probably going to be too late for this round of Europe but the league season is fast approaching. We’ve got a decent start on paper and I don’t want us to drop silly points because we’re short.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    only 3 teams conceded less goals than us last season , Celtic , Aberdeen and Hearts . The defence is 1 of the most effective in the league .

Yes and that includes that mad September last season when we conceded a number of sloppy goals.

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    Yes and that includes that mad September last season when we conceded a number of sloppy goals.
    It's one of the reasons I'm against spending much money on improving the defense - I think we have good defenders with occasional lapses.
    Getting good defenders who don't have occasional lapses is likely to be a very expensive business.

I think we can get better value from improvements to midfield and attack that shore up the defense in two ways:
    - Exposing them to less attacks as the opposition are on the back foot
    - Scoring more goals to render the occasional lapses irrelevant

I think one of the biggest plus points already in this season is Mallan's ability from distance and shooting from a set piece.
    I'd bet that, come the end of the season, that alone is worth several points we'd otherwise have lost to sloppy goals conceded.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by makaveli1875 View Post
    Spot on..... too many jumping on bandwagon of loosing goals in what was effectively a preseason friendly die to first leg score and opposition.

Yep we lost 5 v Sevco bit we were going totally hung ho which was our only option at that stage.

Keep the faith .... we still have one of the best defensive units in the country

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

First Team Breakthrough Hfc_Since1875's Avatar
    Sun running with the Aygepong story now - although they say he is a free agent

Lennon, meanwhile, has set his sights on Manchester City winger Thomas Agyepong as a fourth summer capture.

The Ghana international never played for City with his contract expiring at the end of last month.

But over the last three years the 21-year-old — who trained with Celtic in 2014 — has starred on loan for Dutch sides Twente and NAC Breda.

GGTTH
    2 of those games we were chasing 2nd spot in the league so we were ultra attacking, particularly the Rangers game which saw us playing 3-2-5 at times. I wasn't happy with the goals against Runavik and hopefully that defence never plays again, Lennon stated afterwards he used these games as pre season type games to experiment with.

Lennon has gone with 3 at the back to play 2 up top but I think we look more solid with a back 4 playing 4-3-3, just my personal opinion.

@hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Hfc_Since1875 View Post
    Sun running with the Aygepong story now - although they say he is a free agent

Lennon, meanwhile, has set his sights on Manchester City winger Thomas Agyepong as a fourth summer capture.

The Ghana international never played for City with his contract expiring at the end of last month.

But over the last three years the 21-year-old — who trained with Celtic in 2014 — has starred on loan for Dutch sides Twente and NAC Breda.
    Sounds like a permanent then? Doesn’t line up with Scouse’s info. Has his contract definitely expired?

@hibs.net private member Radium's Avatar

see Celtic have got AEK Athens in the next round draw for the Champions League qualifiers if they beat Scandinavian opponents.

Glad then that "we've got McGinn" to help us past some different Scandinavians and Greeks, and not them.

Peter "Penny pinching embarassment" Lawwell can sweat, as far as I am concerned.

First Team Breakthrough GillyHibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Radium View Post

An extra 150k (possibly) added to our "Biggest Budget Yet". And still over a month left of the transfer window!

Jamie Maclaren was one of the first to reply to Simon Murray's tweet btw, giving him a wee "good luck fella" type message.
    Still the actions of a guy who has a lot of affection for Hibs

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Jamie Maclaren was one of the first to reply to Simon Murray's tweet btw, giving him a wee "good luck fella" type message.
    Or maybe he's friends with Simon Murray.
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    Or maybe he's friends with Simon Murray.
    You may be right.

I'll take my chances though :)

If we had a player, who had been on loan elsewhere, then been recalled, (like Darmstadt have), then had our chairman announce that the player's future would depend on whether he wanted to be here...and then the player spent his online time engaging with the loan club, I would probably draw conclusions from that, that's all.

Coaching Staff
    You may be right.

I'll take my chances though :)

If we had a player, who had been on loan elsewhere, then been recalled, (like Darmstadt have), then had our chairman announce that the player's future would depend on whether he wanted to be here...and then the player spent his online time engaging with the loan club, I would probably draw conclusions from that, that's all.
    I wonder how well they know each other, as Murray was away at Dundee when Maclaren was here.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by GillyHibee View Post
    An extra 150k (possibly) added to our "Biggest Budget Yet". And still over a month left of the transfer window!
    And a wage

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Hopefully this might kick-start some business this week. We now definitely require a replacement forward in by Thursday.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Should still be plenty left in the budget but I’d Imagine the money for Murray will offset what we paid for Mallan

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    Should still be plenty left in the budget but I’d Imagine the money for Murray will offset what we paid for Mallan
    what was the fee for Mallan?

"Good luck Simon, thanks for making way for me.... again."

Quote Originally Posted by Souter96Mac View Post
    Hopefully this might kick-start some business this week. We now definitely require a replacement forward in by Thursday.
    I don’t think we’ll get one in for Thursday.

Have a feeling Boyle may be used up front.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    what was the fee for Mallan?
    Thought I had read it was £150k, but upon checking looks like I maybe read it on here as the first few articles I checked say undisclosed.

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

Boyle is cracking as a RWB, but I think we got more out of him when he was further up the field - so I've no problem with him upfront and SDG at RB/RWB.

Although, we do still need to sign a striker.
    Mon the Hibs.

Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post

I was thinking the same. Use the height and build of Kamberi and his hold up play, with Boyle's pace to run onto anything played.

@hibs.net private member Billy Whizz's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Boyle is cracking as a RWB, but I think we got more out of him when he was further up the field - so I've no problem with him upfront and SDG at RB/RWB.

Although, we do still need to sign a striker.
    Interesting team selection for Lennon. If we play 352, that may omit gray, although Lennon says he was out best player in the Faroes, providing we play Boyle at right wing back

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    Interesting team selection for Lennon. If we play 352, that may omit gray, although Lennon says he was out best player in the Faroes, providing we play Boyle at right wing back
    As things stand, I'd stick with "3-5-2" and line up with Boyle up front.

Bog
    Gray Ambrose McGregor Hanlon Stevenson
    Mallan Slivka McGinn
    Flo Boyle
    Mon the Hibs.