hibs.net Messageboard

Page 138 of 497 FirstFirst ... 3888128136137138139140148188238 ... LastLast
Results 4,111 to 4,140 of 14907
    @hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    The "paying of fees" changes the dynamic of these contracts and transfers though.

I can't see us paying a fairly decent fee then giving the player a 2 year contract (like we do with most of our free transfers).

They'd need to be given at least 3 years, if not 4, for the outlay to be worthwhile. If that player gets a bad injury or turns out to be a dud, that can be a long and expensive contract to have a player on.

The likes of Kamberi, Mallan and McLaren would have a potential sell-on value though (poss less so Allan).
    Totally agree. As I say, I'm just surmising. These deals will take a while, which would explain the lack of incoming players so far. But I'm delighted with the business we have done.
    Last edited by Stevie Reid; 29-06-2018 at 10:04 AM.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Do clubs insure players against injury?

e.g. Do the clubs pay the full salaries when a player is out longer term or are they compensated in any way?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Quote Originally Posted by Stevie Reid View Post
    Totally agree. As I say, I'm just surmising. These deals will take a while, which would explain the lack of incoming players so far. But I'm delighted with the business we have done.
    Yep.

I also think we're probably in a position where we can take a risk or 2. Money was tight for the past few years and had to spent very wisely. I'm not advocating a whole "speculate to accumulate" policy but loosening the purse strings to secure a player like Kamberi (who we know has attracted interest in clubs willing to pay fairly sizeable fees for him off the back of his performances for us last season) or McLaren might be a calculated risk worth taking, even if it might blow up on us.

I think Lennon will surprise us all with a big name signing. I've absolutely no inside information just a feeling. If he's been after the likes of Izaguirre i'm sure he'll be after others of that calibre.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    When was the last time we paid a fee of any substance for a player
    If Lennon thinks we can develop him further and there is money to be made from selling him on further down the line then we have to be prepared to fork out a Transfer Fee
    But don't see us paying more than £200,000 Would expect we would rather give them a percentage of any subsequent Transfer Fee and pay a nominal amount up front

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I would hope if McGinn goes that the transfer funds we get are given to Lennon to spend. I understand that we won't be spending huge sums on players with our current budget but if we end up with a decent seven figure sum from the McGinn sale we'd be mad not to explore bringing back McLaren.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Proven strikers don't come cheap. The money we spend on Maclaren might be "spent" anyway by way of a lower league position or earlier exit from the cups/Europe.
    Or the money we spend on Maclaren might mean we can't replace Allan/McGeouch with as high a quality and would have the same problem

It does seem odd that we've not been linked that much with players in the press. Certainly compared to previous seasons and with webuyanyplayer.com across the city.

It's like everything is calm with Neil Lennon and all the building blocks are in place and we're just needing that one or two things in place to trigger a confirmed deal. Whether that be with departures such as McGinn or arrivals such as Mallan and McLaren. I do have that feeling that we're not going to see much movement for the next few weeks and that it will be mid July before things start to develop.

I think a lot of our summer purchases will depend on whether McGinn stays, whether we re-sign McGeouch or whether McLaren is bought. Once Hibs are clearer on these, then I think we'll see some transfer activity.

@hibs.net private member Stevie Reid's Avatar
    Yep.

I also think we're probably in a position where we can take a risk or 2. Money was tight for the past few years and had to spent very wisely. I'm not advocating a whole "speculate to accumulate" policy but loosening the purse strings to secure a player like Kamberi (who we know has attracted interest in clubs willing to pay fairly sizeable fees for him off the back of his performances for us last season) or McLaren might be a calculated risk worth taking, even if it might blow up on us.
    Definitely. Any signing is a risk at the end of the day, but these calculated risks are necessary if we want to seriously improve on the quality that we already have.

Aberdeen have done the same in the last few years, spending relatively big fees on May, Mackay-Steven, McLean. May is obviously a prime example of one that doesn't work out - that said, he still featured 29 times in the SPL for the team that finished 2nd.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Proven strikers don't come cheap. The money we spend on Maclaren might be "spent" anyway by way of a lower league position or earlier exit from the cups/Europe.
    Have we had the daily update from the pant pishers on how many days until our first competitive game or is that still to come?

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by My_Wife_Camille View Post
    You’re right, they might sneak one to make it 6-1
    😂😂😂😂

I feel the same about players coming in, the ones we're looking at will command a fee of sorts, we could possibly afford them as it is but it'll leave us short in the kitty. If McGinn goes, we'll have what money we already have plus his transfer cash, then we can do business properly without worry. We've spent in the past but never overly large amounts, maybe we'll see the purse strings loosened a wee bit now we have a more stable base.

Have we had the daily update from the pant pishers on how many days until our first competitive game or is that still to come?
    😂😂😂😂

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    That's within our reach surely?
    Technically. But I would rather not see us shell out £500k on a player.

Something like 150k with add on's would be an option though (even if it could end up with us handing over more than 500k all in all).
    Mon the Hibs.

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by danhibees1875 View Post
    Technically. But I would rather not see us shell out £500k on a player.

Something like 150k with add on's would be an option though (even if it could end up with us handing over more than 500k all in all).
    I like maclaren think his movement was good and his goals speak for themselves but don't think he's worth half a million. Not to us anyway

Left by mutual consent!
    🤣🤣

Let's face it, to spend £500K on Maclaren to unite one of the most potent goal scoring partnerships seen at ER in a very long time, would be well worth the money, especally when you consider that we basically stole Kamberi. You don't have to pay the £500K up front, half now the rest next year!

13 days until our first competitive fixture.

Minus 2 minutes since I've pished my pants.

Soon, is what I'm hearing.

@hibs.net private member jacomo's Avatar
    Yep.

I think we took a risk on Stokes last summer, and then another when we moved on 3 strikers in January and brought in another two on loan.

None of this will have been cheap.

The mindset at Hibs has changed radically, there are now senior people at the club alongside the manager who understand the need to invest in the squad.

The fans have been brilliant again in backing the club with record number of season tickets sold. We are all impatient for signings but we need to have some faith that lots is happening behind the scenes.

I don’t see why people are getting so annoyed about posters wanting new signings in by now.

The club wanted players in by now and bar Kamberi it’s not happened to I think it’s reasonable to suggest things haven’t progressed as we would have wished.

I have no doubt that come the end of the transfer window we will have a strong squad, but we need them in ASAP so they have time to gel and we can get off to a good start.

Lennon has already said he wants the group stages, he’s going to have to bring a fair bit in to get that.

@hibs.net private member superfurryhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post
    I don’t see why people are getting so annoyed about posters wanting new signings in by now.

The club wanted players in by now and bar Kamberi it’s not happened to I think it’s reasonable to suggest things haven’t progressed as we would have wished.

I have no doubt that come the end of the transfer window we will have a strong squad, but we need them in ASAP so they have time to gel and we can get off to a good start.

Lennon has already said he wants the group stages, he’s going to have to bring a fair bit in to get that.
    People get annoyed with the relentless, self-replicating nature of the same offerings by the same folk.

We all want signings, we all want them in asap. I’m sure the club are doing everything in their power to secure them.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Sunderland were a mess, but they're rebuilding in a lower division from scratch, a bit like we did with Stubbs.

McGeouch's move to Hibs worked out very well for him. He might fancy that the same will happen for him at Sunderland?
    Why would you want to play in that league with the players they are signing it has disaster all over it

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post
    Why would you want to play in that league with the players they are signing it has disaster all over it

Strong 3-4 year contract at a serious weekly wedge when most seasons you've spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch?

13 days
    Just more than enough time for Lenny, the "Lurgan Craig David", to achieve all of the following:

On my way to see my friends who lived a couple blocks away from me (oh)
    As I walked through the subway
    It must have been about quarter past three
    In front of me, stood Dylan McGeouch with the Sunderland doctor
    He asked me for the time
    I said it'd cost him name, a six digit number and a scarf-raising photograph with me tomorrow at ER

Did he decline? No
    Didn't he mind? I don't think so
    Was it for real? Damn, sure
    What was the deal? A pretty girl aged twenty-four* (*according to Craig David)
    So was he keen? he couldn't wait
    Number Ten Shirt? Let me update
    What did he say? he said he'd love to rendezvous
    he asked me what we were gonna do
    Said we'd start with a bottle of moet for two

Monday
    Took him for a drink on Tuesday
    We were drafting signing-on fees by Wednesday
    And on Thursday and Friday and Saturday
    We chilled on Sunday...

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SeanWilson View Post
    Strong 3-4 year contract at a serious weekly wedge when most seasons you've spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch?
    Yeah but apart from that

Quote Originally Posted by Greenworld View Post

Maguire and McLaughlin have a solid track record at that level.

Ozturk was solid enough at Hearts, I'd imagine he should cope ok in league one.

The great unknown is the Sunderland financial situation. Did their previous owner REALLY clear their debt? They've raked in a good few million for McNair, will get a few million more for Khazri. Will this money go into their playing budget?

With their crowds they should be able to blow other clubs in that league out the water. The signings they've made so far have been the solid jobbers. If they can get some real quality (like McGeouch) then they should be favourites to go up. Then McGeouch finds himself a Championship player playing in a huge ground a possibly looking to get promoted again.

Dylan didn't join Hibs to play against Alloa with Danny Handling and Liam Craig but he had to start there.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Unseen work View Post

You’re such a bedwetter, you’re posts are annoying me etc.

Don’t you know you’re supposed to tell people how you’re not worried so that you look calm and collected? I mean we’re going to absolutely skoosh the first Europa League game incase you haven’t heard. We’ll probably be able to send the 20s over for the second leg.

First Team Breakthrough
    Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    I think we took a risk on Stokes last summer, and then another when we moved on 3 strikers in January and brought in another two on loan.

None of this will have been cheap.

The mindset at Hibs has changed radically, there are now senior people at the club alongside the manager who understand the need to invest in the squad.

The fans have been brilliant again in backing the club with record number of season tickets sold. We are all impatient for signings but we need to have some faith that lots is happening behind the scenes.
    Yes, I would imagine stokes got a large few upfront

Testimonial Due Billychaotic182's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Billy Chaotic PSN ID: BillyChaotic
    It’s not even the lack of signings or the lack of rumours as well. We started off so well, plus them saying we will have our biggest ever budget. Now it’s just nothing.

Left by mutual consent!
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    You’re such a bedwetter, you’re posts are annoying me etc.

Don’t you know you’re supposed to tell people how you’re not worried so that you look calm and collected? I mean we’re going to absolutely skoosh the first Europa League game incase you haven’t heard. We’ll probably be able to send the 20s over for the second leg.
    https://www.boots.com/boots-staydry-...E&gclsrc=aw.ds

These should help