hibs.net Messageboard

Page 131 of 497 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231 ... LastLast
Results 3,901 to 3,930 of 14907
    Quote Originally Posted by Aldo View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I’ll be terribly disappointed if he signs for Aberdeen!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    That's a ****ing Understatement Aldo
    I would be Gutted as would Lennon
    Can't see why he would think that was a step up unless more money and feeling they can finish second and win a Cup and progress in Europe
    Finishing second is what they have done consistently and clearly they would love to get Dylan strengthening them and weakening us
    But have said from their first interest I didn't think he would go there

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    As things stand just now, we'll be starting the season with the same team as last season with kamberi replacing stokes & nocgeouch. Hoping to see some movement soon

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Dunno why everyones getting themselves so worked up.

For 2 seasons now we've not had to invest heavily in the squad. Just add touches of quality here and there.

It's a great position to be In meaning we can take our time and get the right people In for the right price.

The Nucleus is there. We don't need to panic buy 10 rejects.
    Most sensible post on this thread mate

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    The post I quoted asked the question what was the point in qualifying for Europe and then only having an unprepared and half baked team for it, asking the question alone is suggesting the club aren’t doing enough.

I don’t think it should be any surprise the team isn’t as prepared for the season a few weeks before the start of the season as it was at the end of last season.

Don’t see the issue at all, as it stands we’re only really Mcgeough, barker and Mclaren down from the end of last season and we’ve still got plenty time to sort that, even if it does mean we don’t have everyone in for the game against the team from the Faroes.
    Only McGeough, Barker and McLaren? That’s quite a bit weaker when you add Allan in as well. So only our player of the year and two players that transformed us going forward in the second half of the season.

As I said, we don’t need signings to get through the first round. But if there isn’t much in the way of movement soon, how do you get your new players (I know they’ll come at some point) up to speed for the tougher tests to follow?

@hibs.net private member BenjiOscar's Avatar
    Total prize money for Europa League this season is £446.5 million.

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Only McGeough, Barker and McLaren? That’s quite a bit weaker when you add Allan in as well. So only our player of the year and two players that transformed us going forward in the second half of the season.

As I said, we don’t need signings to get through the first round. But if there isn’t much in the way of movement soon, how do you get your new players (I know they’ll come at some point) up to speed for the tougher tests to follow?
    Yes but you’re just talking about 3 or 4 players needed.

Tbh someone else has replied with my thoughts better than me since i posted.

We don’t need wholesale changes so fornus being as ready as we are now is fine, we’re not playing tomorrow. We need a big squad for the season, not for the first game and even then I’m sure we’ll have a couple of players in before the faroes game.

I’ve lead the panic from the front in previous years but I’m just not seeing it this year, we’ve got a decent team and squad now and plenty time to add the finishing touches, don’t see the fuss at all.

Bit light in midfield, but slivka and Swanson in for Allan and mcgeouch isn't too bad. Shaw for McLaren is a step down, but should be good enough to get us through the first leg at least.

Quote Originally Posted by calumhibee1 View Post
    I’m already worried and justifiably so. We should be further on than we are. I’m sure it’ll be alright in the end but we should have more of our targets in by now, it’s as simple as that.
    Do you know how far we are on though? There could be several deals at advanced stages. I don’t think anyone knows. Patience.

Left by mutual consent!
    Yes but you’re just talking about 3 or 4 players needed.

Tbh someone else has replied with my thoughts better than me since i posted.

We don’t need wholesale changes so fornus being as ready as we are now is fine, we’re not playing tomorrow. We need a big squad for the season, not for the first game and even then I’m sure we’ll have a couple of players in before the faroes game.

I’ve lead the panic from the front in previous years but I’m just not seeing it this year, we’ve got a decent team and squad now and plenty time to add the finishing touches, don’t see the fuss at all.
    There are certain individuals on here whose lives seem to be genuinely affected by lack of transfer activity. I prefer to let the club management get on with things rather than get worked up about it, we’ve a far better approach to transfers these days and I have a high level of confidence that the club will sign the quality we need in due course.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    In fairness the nucleus of the team includes two key players - one who is currently not at the club, the other who is highly rumoured to be leaving (McGeouch and McGinn). This is probably the biggest test for the recruitment team since the very beginning (Stubbs starting year). Potential of losing McGeouch and McGinn shouldn't be underestimated, the nucleus will be weakened...a lot.
    Still have the base. Defence and goalie doesn't have to change. Wide we have enough quality. We have Kamberi, Olly and Simon up top.. And Mcginn IS still here. We can't replace a player who hasn't already gone.

So you're looking at adding one/two midfielders. One winger and one striker to be on an even keel to last season?

Hardly major surgery and I'd rather we wait and get the right ones as we have for seasons now than wind up signing the yam rejects.

Some people really need to calm down. Yes in an ideal world we’d have all our signings in for day one of pre season but that is never going to happen. Our squad currently is capable of putting 5/6 past a part time team from the faroes id actually expect us to beat the faroes national team. The fact we’ve not picked up a lot of players as of yet suggests to me we are identifying our targets and don’t want any “2nd best” players we’re willing to wait and get the right players. Our closest rivals have signed 10+ I think and if I’m totally honest I don’t think I’d take any of them with us, that’s the standard of player you get this early in the market. You can’t take players from other clubs before they’ve got a replacement 9 tones out of 10, for instance I’m sure Barnsley and Celtic will want to ensure they’ve covered all bases before offloading Mallan and Allan. The same way we all expect to have our squad in shape before perhaps offloading simon murray etc. The full transfer window doesn’t revolve around hibs, have faith in the club and I’m sure we’ll be absolutely fine and have another fantastic season.

It must be obvious to everyone that until McGinn’s situation becomes clear to the club there won’t be any dramatic changes in midfield.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    Do you know how far we are on though? There could be several deals at advanced stages. I don’t think anyone knows. Patience.
    Dinnae be daft. Underscore, all those cats. They all know what's on. Right?

The post I quoted asked the question what was the point in qualifying for Europe and then only having an unprepared and half baked team for it, asking the question alone is suggesting the club aren’t doing enough.

I don’t think it should be any surprise the team isn’t as prepared for the season a few weeks before the start of the season as it was at the end of last season.

Don’t see the issue at all, as it stands we’re only really Mcgeough, barker and Mclaren down from the end of last season and we’ve still got plenty time to sort that, even if it does mean we don’t have everyone in for the game against the team from the Faroes.
    Being McGeough,Barker and McLaren down on last season does make us significantly weaker. Two of those three were first picks and the third was arguably the best impact player in League. And that's before you add in the fact we are also without Scott Allan.

Those 4 players make us a massively better team so without them we are significantly weaker.
    Last edited by Since90+2; 28-06-2018 at 05:41 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyler Durden View Post
    I still think McGeouch will get a Championship team. It’s still early days.

No chance he signs for Aberdeen.
    It’s not early days though - he’s been sniffing about since at least January.

There must be an issue that’s preventing him signing elsewhere - Lennon told us in May he was away and yet here we are still sitting with our fingers crossed he re-signs.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by tamig View Post
    I don’t know how far advanced we are, but no matter how far advanced we are they’re still not signed and part of the squad yet. We have a European game in 2 weeks which everyone seems to be taking for granted we’ll stroll through, but we most likely won’t because Scottish teams very rarely do.

We play all season for this to be the prize and our preparation for these games is far from ideal, be it because the players we bring in won’t have had much of a pre season training with Hibs or the players might not even be signed at all by that point.

If we have to put out a make shift team in Europe and end up going out I’ll be very disappointed and I’m going to hazard a guess Lennon would be absolutely furious at the board seeing as he’s aiming for the group stages.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    Bit light in midfield, but slivka and Swanson in for Allan and mcgeouch isn't too bad. Shaw for McLaren is a step down, but should be good enough to get us through the first leg at least.
    Slivka and Swanson is a massive step down I’m comparison to Mcgeouch and Allan IMO

Quote Originally Posted by BoomtownHibeys View Post
    Slivka and Swanson is a massive step down I’m comparison to Mcgeouch and Allan IMO
    Should be more than enough to deal with the team from the Faroes.

We'll need more than that to beat the Greek team.

I don’t know how far advanced we are, but no matter how far advanced we are they’re still not signed and part of the squad yet. We have a European game in 2 weeks which everyone seems to be taking for granted we’ll stroll through, but we most likely won’t because Scottish teams very rarely do.

We play all season for this to be the prize and our preparation for these games is far from ideal, be it because the players we bring in won’t have had much of a pre season training with Hibs or the players might not even be signed at all by that point.

If we have to put out a make shift team in Europe and end up going out I’ll be very disappointed and I’m going to hazard a guess Lennon would be absolutely furious at the board seeing as he’s aiming for the group stages.
    Makeshift team is a bit over dramatic. We have the bulk of the squad from the last few seasons to pick a decent starting eleven from. The players available are good enough to do the job. That’s before we even start talking about any new recruits who may arrive before then. This team doesn’t need major overhaul.

Different players... but id be very hopeful that Slivka will become a very important player for us this season.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    The dlivka and swanson that helped us beat celtic aren't much of a step down at all - if anything, swanson was better than allan on an average day that day.

Obviously we need to keep our quality of players up, but it's important to remember that our squad is still very capable.

Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    The dlivka and swanson that helped us beat celtic aren't much of a step down at all - if anything, swanson was better than allan on an average day that day.

Obviously we need to keep our quality of players up, but it's important to remember that our squad is still very capable.
    I disagree with your first paragraph really quite a lot!!

@hibs.net private member

Callum, you seem to be panicking quite a lot about the transfer position.

Do you honestly think the club are sitting on their hands waiting for something to happen?

I am sure they are even more frustrated than you are about the length of time it has taken to finalise transfers. As the targets we are going for are better quality players they will have options and will do what is in their best interests. Look at the Kamberi transfer, it took to the last minute and a dash over to Switzerland to make sure the deal was not scuppered by Grasshoppers.

Take Dylan as another example, he is holding out for the best deal he can get, the same might be said about SJM. Players will be told by their agents they have these different options and will maximise what they can get for their client.

Alternatively clubs may not let players go until they have the replacement in place.

I'm afraid patience is the key.

Alternatively we could just sign a whole batch of players to keep things moving along. Is their any player who has gone elsewhere that you wish Hibs had signed.

Marciano? Ambrose. McGregor. Hanlon. Stevenson. Boyle/Whitty/Gray. Slivka. Bartley. Swanson. Kamberi and Shaw.

That's a team that SHOULD, COMFORTABLY, be beating one of the lowest ranked teams in the euro qualifiers.

And to be honest, isn't much, if any worse than the team that lost on pens to Brondby. We've a core that's played together for a while so aren't heading in with players who haven't played together before.

Relax, the club will be making moves in the market. We've 4 weeks until we should be facing a tough challenge from Greece. I'm confident we'll have our primary targets in by then

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    There seems to be a bit of panicking over what has and not happened yet in this transfer window. Now far be it for me to put them down, but a bit of realism is needed here.

It is still early, we will bring players in, that is a given. Who leaves and comes back from last season is not done or settled yet, but those who do leave will be replaced, and those who might come back will be great.

As for Europe, i'm not worried about this at all, we might get emptied by this team from the Faroes, but as i said im not worried about this.

I want us to be a club who participate in Europe every season, but to do this we must get a team together who either win that cup again, or as i'd prefer, win that place through our league position.

And to do this, we must recruit the right players, and they take time.

Now as i said, we might get emptied, although i dont think we will with what we currently have. We need to look after our league position first, and build a side thats will regularly finish 4th or better is the way forward to having a team that might do better in Europe.

We were asked by the club for patience while the infrastructure was put in place, we have done that, and are starting to see the fruits of this, Europe is the next step, but we still have work to do on the team for this to work, and regular qualification for this needs a strong domestic league season.

We need about 4 players if Dylan does not come back, SJM leaves and Allan and McLaren dont return.

Until we see how this all pans out, i wont be reaching for the washing machine yet, and of course if they did all leave, as i said, they will be replaced, and the money we get from the sale of SJM will make things easier for Lennon.

The problem we face is the better we perform the more rebuilding we'll inevitably need to do in summer windows. Our best players will be poached. Dylan, McGinn, Barker, Allan etc are all attracting interest from bigger clubs (Allan playing for Celtic yesterday) which makes it difficult for us. The better we do the harder it becomes. Kamberi was a major coup and whoever did the loan deal with an option to buy needs commended. That might be the way forward for us. We're becoming victims of our own relative success really. What i like about Hibs just now is that we aren't going out and panic buying like Hearts for instance. We're taking our time to get the right players in, the right characters, the right mentality as well as the required ability. I think we're pretty savvy on that front with Lennon, Craig and Dempster. I have nothing but the utmost confidence in out recruitment policy.

@hibs.net private member Greenworld's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Springbank View Post
    Some ITK Celtic people saying in the last hour mcginn not going to Celtic.
    he may play vs the faeroe islanders and greeks for us...and béyond ...
    That's interesting if true about the celtic part .
    Might fit in with him moving EPL side rumour I heard yesterday and the post from someone about let the dominoes fall.
    I think John moving is key to players coming in .
    Oh to be a fly on LD wall
    Can someone bug Neil's phone

Sent from my SM-G903F using Tapatalk

I do think that Neil Lennon may have raised the stakes with his comments about wanting to do something in Europe.

We were always going to get a challenging second tie (with the first one likely to be relatively straightforward but still a banana skin).

The problem we had was the nature of the squad during the second half of last season, with so many players due to leave over this summer. As the transfer window shut in January, it was clear that this summer would be a bit of a re-build.

A summer of re-build and a need for European success don't really go together well.

I can understand folk being a bit anxious - I'm a bit anxious myself. But it is important that we don't sacrifice long term success by panicking in the transfer market in order to get players in to give us a better chance in an early European tie.

Rowan Vine anyone?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Should be more than enough to deal with the team from the Faroes.

We'll need more than that to beat the Greek team.
    I think slivka will become a massive player for us. Only going to get better. Swanson had a bad year off the park, ovb devastated about his mate being killed and was giving time off. Showed near the end of the season he can be a big player for us

Quote Originally Posted by sean04 View Post
    I think slivka will become a massive player for us. Only going to get better. Swanson had a bad year off the park, ovb devastated about his mate being killed and was giving time off. Showed near the end of the season he can be a big player for us
    Agree. I think Slivka will have a very good season. I was doubtful of Swanson but was very impressed with him when we turned Celtic over. Also having Gray back will be like a new signing.