hibs.net Messageboard

Page 33 of 497 FirstFirst ... 2331323334354383133 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Big team with big debt.
    Not sure how much of that was shifted by the recent sale of the club.
    All of it went the previous chairman wrote off all the debt before selling

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Tbh £3m as a starting bid isn’t a bad start.

I’d be a disappointed for him if he finds himself in that league but if we can get £3.5-4m plus a sell on fee that’s no a bad result imo.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    Sun reporting Jack Ross has made John Mcginn his main target and offered £3m for him.
    Good starting offer. £5M please.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Good starting offer. £5M please.
    SJM won't be going to the third tier of English football.

@hibs.net private member erin go bragh's Avatar
    Sun reporting Jack Ross has made John Mcginn his main target and offered £3m for him.
    SJM will go to a bigger club than Sunderland are just now .
    SCOTTISH CUP WINNERS 2016
    GGTTH

Gamer IDs

Gamertag: Nick T Muir
    Let’s be absolutely Frank (not Le god). £3m for a guy out of contract in less than 12 months would set a party off in Rod’s pants. If true and he fancies the Mackams, he’s off.

Quote Originally Posted by Ronniekirk View Post
    3 million he can **** off The Higher the bid the more St Mirren will get
    But ok as first attempt
    Don't think McGinn will see Sunderland as team to move to though

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    3 million would be a decent opener though and if Hibs could nudge it up to 4 with a decent sell on percentage we would almost certainly accept it. If this is true it could even open a bidding war and we could hope for the mystical 5 million.

I wouldn't be too sure that SJM would dismiss a move to Sunderland out of hand ... if the recent sale of the club has eased their debt problems then perhaps they do have some cash to splash and if that's the case they would have to be a good bet to haul themselves out of the third tier at the first time of asking.
    In that scenario SJM would be joining a massive club, but with the luxury of being able to acclimatise to the English game before taking on the pretty brutal marathon that is the English championship .... offer him 6K a week with bonuses in that scenario and I think he would find it more tempting than folk think.

This might start the bidding war but i honestly don't see SJM going to League 1...hes much better than that level

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Scooter's Avatar
    Personally £3million would be a superb offer. You won't get much more for a guy that's played 1 season in the Scottish premiership with a year left.
    I know and we know he's worth more but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast

Quote Originally Posted by Baw187 View Post
    Let’s be absolutely Frank (not Le god). £3m for a guy out of contract in less than 12 months would set a party off in Rod’s pants. If true and he fancies the Mackams, he’s off.
    I think £3m for SJM with less than a year would be excellent business. I think £5m is unrealistic. Two years left on the contract maybe. I’m just not sure if John would fancy League 1. I can see a major rebirth of Sunderland under Jack Ross though and John might just fancy being a big part of that. Still reckon he’ll sign for a Championship team at the very least.

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter View Post
    Personally £3million would be a superb offer. You won't get much more for a guy that's played 1 season in the Scottish premiership with a year left.
    I know and we know he's worth more but unfortunately that's the nature of the beast
    Completely agree, that sort of ball park figure plus a decent sell on fee would be good value all round imo

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    They have players on colossal wages.

Fortunately, the contracts of John O'Shea, Billy Jones and Darron Gibson end in June which will save them £100k per week
    Unfortunately, they will still be paying £200k per week for half a dozen contracted players and at the end of next season only one of them will leave (Jack Rodwell, close on £40k a week).

Moving to Sunderland now would be a bit like when he joined us - big club with big potential playing in a lower division under a highly rated young manager.

McGinn's move to Hibs has been good for him - this move might be good too.

The Sunderland fans are a tough bunch to please, although they've not had anything to be pleased about for a very long time.

SJM is more than just a guy who has spent one season in the Scottish premiership ... he is regularly picked for Scotland, he has a Scottish cup winners medal, a League cup winners medal a League cup runners up medal and a Championship winners medal. There are loads of folk who have spent 10 seasons in the Premiership who couldn't lace his boots, and a year on a contract is a fairly long time when it comes to football, I would contest that that's still a reasonably healthy bargaining chip for Hibs.

If that Sunderland interest is genuine ( perhaps Jack Ross used it as a lever when getting St Mirren to give Sunderland permission to speak to him ) then we aren't even into June and that's one club in for him already ..... I think 4 million is easily achievable and Hibs are in a position where we don't have to blink first.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Moving to Sunderland now would be a bit like when he joined us - big club with big potential playing in a lower division under a highly rated young manager.

McGinn's move to Hibs has been good for him - this move might be good too.

The Sunderland fans are a tough bunch to please, although they've not had anything to be pleased about for a very long time.
    Sunderland are a car crash of a club which is a shame as having been down there and seen the set up it's a fantastic club and their fans remind me of us in our worst moments of despair - utterly devoted to their club but helpless to horrendous managerial appointments and decision making behind the scenes.

SJM certainly won't be going there. Can see Jack Ross trying to get Lewis Morgan on loan though - someone who I'd love to try and get on loan (with Allan permanent) through a SJM to Celtic move.

I'd also take Abdul Osman who has just been released from Partick. Always impressed me and he is an absolute unit - which I think we will need next season as team's try to be physical against us.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    He’s played more than one season in the top flight of Scottish football (just not with us)

@hibs.net private member
    That would be an absolutely mental move for John. I don't care what they pay him, right now we are a bigger and better team than them.

He should have his sights set on much, much better than the third tier of English football and a club that are self destructing.

Quote Originally Posted by CMurdoch View Post
    (Jack Rodwell, close on £40k a week).
    Pretty sure Chris Coleman said recently he didn't know where he was and he was on £70k a week

Getting 3m for a player who had 1 year left on his contract would be outstanding tbh

If we get more then we've done ridiculously well but when the contract is that short we're always going to get shorthanded a wee bit

@hibs.net private member
    Would not be picked for Scotland playing in 3rd tier. Would be a poor career choice that move.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Would not be picked for Scotland playing in 3rd tier. Would be a poor career choice that move.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Charlie Mulgrew is.

Left by mutual consent!
    It is irrelevant what we think of Sunderland. If he was to join them on say a 3 or 4 year deal he is very likely going to get a nice wage even in that division probably enough per week to transform his and families life. Plus in the shop window for another move.

I am sure he would like to play at a higher level right away but if its only Sunderland by end of summer then IMO he will go there.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    It is irrelevant what we think of Sunderland. If he was to join them on say a 3 or 4 year deal he is very likely going to get a nice wage even in that division probably enough per week to transform his and families life. Plus in the shop window for another move.

I am sure he would like to play at a higher level right away but if its only Sunderland by end of summer then IMO he will go there.
    It’s maybe also worth remembering he’d still be close to home as well and he seems a really family oriented person. I’m not saying he’d never move further down south but he may see this as being able to dip his toe in the water of moving down south but still be in touching distance of his family.

No chance anyone is offering 3m for SJM

Quote Originally Posted by underscore View Post
    No chance anyone is offering 3m for SJM
    Nonsense imo.

We’ll get at least that amount, again, imo.

@hibs.net private member
    I’m sorry to say but any1 thinking we will get £3m plus for McGinn is deluded. He has only got a year left in his contract and can sign a pre contract in 6 months time. If we get an offer of around £1.5m I think we will be doing well, not sure we would take it and we may aswell keep him for another year but £3m is not happening never mind people thinking we could get £4m.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    I’m sorry to say but any1 thinking we will get £3m plus for McGinn is deluded. He has only got a year left in his contract and can sign a pre contract in 6 months time. If we get an offer of around £1.5m I think we will be doing well, not sure we would take it and we may aswell keep him for another year but £3m is not happening never mind people thinking we could get £4m.
    I think you forget that £3m for English clubs is pennies. There’s a player linked with Man U who has a year left and he’s apparently gonna go for around £40m-£50m

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Keyser Sauzee View Post
    Anyone thinking about signing him on a pre contract agreement in 6 months is wasting their time as he’ll be sold this summer, so if he can sign a pre contract in 6 months is neither here nor there.

I think the £5m figure that Lennon has mentioned is unrealistic and I suspect Lennon knows that, £3m is entirely possible though.

@hibs.net private member
    Charlie Mulgrew is.
    Fair point. Just been promoted. Although also missed out on some squads when he was in that division iirc.

Do you think it would help his Scotland selection case ?

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    Fair point. Just been promoted. Although also missed out on some squads when he was in that division iirc.

Do you think it would help his Scotland selection case ?
    As long as was playing every week and doing well then he’d still be in the squad. He made it when he was in the Scottish Championship!