hibs.net Messageboard

Page 108 of 497 FirstFirst ... 85898106107108109110118158208 ... LastLast
Results 3,211 to 3,240 of 14907
    Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Tested at a higher level.
    Proves a lot more, reduces the risk. That's the difference
    How tested was he? I do not think Celtic would have got too much for players based on games in Europe. He played well against the same teams SJM did.

2. Log in to remove the advert

Armstrong is a terrific player and is an absolute steal in the current market for 7 million quid.

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    How tested was he? I do not think Celtic would have got too much for players based on games in Europe. He played well against the same teams SJM did.
    Genuine question but how long has Armstrong got left on his contract?
    Last edited by SquashedFrogg; 22-06-2018 at 09:38 PM.

@hibs.net private member mayo hibee's Avatar
    Talk of 5 million is fantasy stuff given his current contract position to be honest. He's probably worth that on a longer term contract but this summer he's only worth to us what someone is willing to pay for him. Anything north of 3 million would be good business in reality, and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a good bit less than that.

Ultimately, at what price is it worth it for Hibs to sell him now given that in 6 months he can sign a pre contract and leave next May for £0? I'd say a lot less than £5m.

Quote Originally Posted by mayo hibee View Post
    Talk of 5 million is fantasy stuff given his current contract position to be honest. He's probably worth that on a longer term contract but this summer he's only worth to us what someone is willing to pay for him. Anything north of 3 million would be good business in reality, and I wouldn't be surprised if we end up with a good bit less than that.

Ultimately, at what price is it worth it for Hibs to sell him now given that in 6 months he can sign a pre contract and leave next May for £0? I'd say a lot less than £5m.
    Sensible post. Love SJM but this I agree with.

Would still cut my knackers off to get him to sign a new deal :)

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar

Given the short term nature of managers careers a year is a long time.

If a manager wants to buy him now, what good is it waiting a year when firstly, be probably won’t be available then.....secondly, the manager will be sacked by then if he doesn’t have a good season this year......and thirdly, for what is a relatively small amount of money.

Particularly down south, if a manager wants him now why would he scrimp and save over a couple of million when there’s bound to be other interested parties?

Quote Originally Posted by SquashedFrogg View Post
    Genuine question but how long has Armstrong got left on his contract?
    1 year

@hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/sport/...ngers-12764525

Us, the huns and Hull after Barker.

Probably put him in the unlikely to come back category.

Frustrating thing is if he joins Hull he’ll probably be a £30m player in a year or two as genuine wingers that can go past players are a dying breed now.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

Frustrating thing is if he joins Hull he’ll probably be a £30m player in a year or two as genuine wingers that can go past players are a dying breed now.
    I have a feeling he may end up at Sevco. Stevie G being the factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Juniper Greens View Post
    Tested at a higher level.
    Proves a lot more, reduces the risk. That's the difference

The highest level he played at and all he needed to do was play it down the line and his bottle crashed

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    No amount of money should want us to sell him to Celtic
    This is not unlikely the situation with the rangers / hearts game after the split.
    Nobody *wanted* hearts to win.....they wanted the result that was best for Hibs.

All other things being equal I'd prefer he went elsewhere - not least because I can look out for a player I like in the hope he's doing well.
    But if he goes to celtic and Hibs benefit like they did with Allan going there then I'll be fine with it.

@hibs.net private member

So give McGinn a new 2 year deal with a £250k signing bonus and £4K a week(most probably our top wage). He gets a hefty bonus and we get a stronger asset to sell. We also give him a release clause of £4 million. Bonus is we keep him for the qualifying stages of the Europe League.

Even a £500k bonus works well for all parties. Dempster has an easy job with these players 😂😂

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    Gerrard's and The Rangers signings so far prove he's going to be a spectacular failure Celtic haven't even flexed a wee muscle yet.

To be honest id just let him run his contract down,he is happy at hibs and happy to be here for another year,so id resist selling unless its crazy sums.best all round midfielder ive seen for a long time at easter road.a question though as a supporter would you rather watch him in hibs top for another good season,or take say 1.5mill for him and spend nxt season saying ewish mcginn was still in this side?

Testimonial Due
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Jellzy
    Quote Originally Posted by truehibernian View Post
    Gerrard's and The Rangers signings so far prove he's going to be a spectacular failure Celtic haven't even flexed a wee muscle yet.
    Out of the 3 I reckon it'd be us or Hull. He'll be going out on loan again with the likelihood that Man City will no doubt be covering his entire wage. He knows Easter Road and has done well here already. Another year in the same environment can only be seen as a good thing for his progression especially as he's guaranteed play time. Nothing to gain by going on loan to Rangers.

If Man City aren't covering his entire wage or at least the majority of it then Hull would be a better place to continue his development with the attraction that they have a bit of cash to pay towards his current wage.

Failing that I know nothing!!

Quote Originally Posted by Captain Trips View Post
    Well, compared to when he played for Dundee United, champions league group stages and Scotland caps. Yes, he has a way to go, but that explains the difference. If I were Southampton manager, I'd be happier paying £7m for a player who has been tested at the level Armstrong has, than £2m for a promising youngster at Dundee United who has played well in the SPFL, not unreasonable.

I think he'll struggle big time. Was utter pish last season. Not worth 7 million.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by CMac1988 View Post
    Out of the 3 I reckon it'd be us or Hull. He'll be going out on loan again with the likelihood that Man City will no doubt be covering his entire wage. He knows Easter Road and has done well here already. Another year in the same environment can only be seen as a good thing for his progression especially as he's guaranteed play time. Nothing to gain by going on loan to Rangers.

If Man City aren't covering his entire wage or at least the majority of it then Hull would be a better place to continue his development with the attraction that they have a bit of cash to pay towards his current wage.

Failing that I know nothing!!
    I'm also basing it on the fact Gary McAllister is a guy I would literally take the urine out of if he coached me (having spoken to him numerous times)..........a guy who without doubt has had a very distinguished career (and fantastic player) but is a guy who tries way way too hard to be nice to everyone............pros at that level will take the you know what out him.........absolutely guaranteed I think Gerrard sees himself as bad cop, but it's actually keystone cops as a partnership.

I'm also basing it on the fact Gary McAllister is a guy I would literally take the urine out of if he coached me (having spoken to him numerous times)..........a guy who without doubt has had a very distinguished career (and fantastic player) but is a guy who tries way way too hard to be nice to everyone............pros at that level will take the you know what out him.........absolutely guaranteed I think Gerrard sees himself as bad cop, but it's actually keystone cops as a partnership.
    Sally HUll most likely better option for him. If does well gets a good move or new deal city. If not has fall back to go SPL to try again

The only thing that Gerrard has going for him at the moment is his name. Of course he's going to win games. he's got a better squad than most teams in the spfl but the perception that he will be this tactical mastermind are, currently, totally unfounded.

The price changes as we progress in Europe. If we make it through the Greek tie McGinn in the side would be potentially be worth more than £3 Million to us. If we lose to them there's still a few days of he English window for him to leave.

People keep going on about potential midfield signings; anyone heard of any forward ones? Jamie Mac needs replaced still

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzywuzzy View Post
    The only thing that Gerrard has going for him at the moment is his name. Of course he's going to win games. he's got a better squad than most teams in the spfl but the perception that he will be this tactical mastermind are, currently, totally unfounded.
    And just because the rest of Scottish football is desperate for him to fail means he will.

This is what I'm thinking. I reckon if there were any players Rangers were going for that Celtic would quite like, they'd get them.

Celtic sell a player that didn't get much game time last year (I think) for 7m, read this morning that Cardiff have offered 1.5m for one of the The's best players (IMO). The financial difference between the two teams is huge, reckon Celtic have still to make a move and have got a few big signings up their sleeves! Yaya Toure???

Everybody is getting a bit annoyed by the lack of signings, I'm 100% confident that we have irons in the fire and just waiting on the right player. No rush, we can beat that mob from the faores with what we have. Be patient. Hibs track targets way in advance and they will have 20odd players on the radar with back up players if our main targets don't happen

Fulham turn down 20m bid from West Ham for Tom Cairney WTF. On SSN.

Still waiting on Celtic offering Alan plus 1 million for Mcginn 😂

@hibs.net private member Spike Mandela's Avatar
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by BOB MARLEYS DUG View Post
    If it is a loan deal Hibs might still be in the hunt. Familiarity with manager and squad could make a difference. Lennon liked him and played him regularly.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Barker still fancies himself as a big time player and will always pick the "bigger" club. If Rangers/Hull are seriously interested then we've no chance.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Diclonius View Post
    Barker still fancies himself as a big time player and will always pick the "bigger" club. If Rangers/Hull are seriously interested then we've no chance.
    And you base this on what?

Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post

if he goes for £30m i will bathe in a bath of beans!