hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Heisenberg View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Right back is a much higher priority.
    Not if we continue with a back 3 it’s not. Boyle fits that wingback role perfectly.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member weecounty hibby's Avatar
    This is getting mental. Replace him yes by all means but only when it is with someone better, not just because he made a couple of mistakes last night. Two weeks ago he was absolutely immense against celtic and could easily have been MOM. We need to replace the midfield leavers before we look at left back. LS has been very consistent all season in the best Hibs side I can remember watching

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Had a poor game last night but has been excellent this season. Up until the second half of this season I’d have described him as solid defensively but not good enough in an attacking sense to play as a wingback. His crossing and final ball really seems to have come on this last 6 months or so.

Definitely need a new first choice RB and genuine completion for Stevenson in the summer.

@hibs.net private member Heisenberg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CathroMustStay View Post
    Straight into the starting eleven, not a squad player.

Must be done.
    Where have you been all season? Lewis has been brilliant in the majority of matches. One bad game and you want him replaced. Ludicrous.

@hibs.net private member
    McGregor, Hanlon, McGinn, Allan, Kamberi...all of them offered less than Stevenson did last night... A poor shift for many...Lewis needs competition sure, but as someone else said we have much bigger issues to deal with than him...OP's likes this are just lowest common denominator stuff..

Quote Originally Posted by jacomo View Post
    In other words... “I acknowledge you have a different opinion but I am going to dismiss it as rubbish.”

Maybe you’ve got it wrong?

Lewis has played under 8 managers I think, and impressed every one.

That is some going.

No. Not that in other words. Don't try and interpret what I'm saying as something completely different. Stevenson is an okay full back, he's steady enough and his best performance in a hibs shirt in that position came a few weeks back against Celtic IMO. But I just feel if we don't want to stagnate and want to keep progressing that we need to improve on him and others. I've not came on here and completely slated him. I've gave an opinion saying I think we are coming to a stage where we need to look to upgrade in numerous positions including his.

Quote Originally Posted by we are hibs View Post
    Why are people so precious about Lewis Stevenson? Yes he gives 100% but is he good enough for where we want to be and the direction we want to go in? I don't think he is. If we want to consistently be in and amongst it at the top of the league; have a decent go at it in Europe then we are going to have to improve in his position and a few others too.
    Because he's an absolutely brilliant football player.

He was pish last night. When you play the number of games he does, you will get the odd stinker.

I actually don't think I remember him ever playing as badly as he did last night, it was unusual.

His excellent form has been a big reason behind our good results in the second half of this season.

Left-back is absolutely not the place we need to be targeting for next season, given we might be about to lose all our first choice midfielders and forwards.

@hibs.net private member Baader's Avatar
    Was the best player on park against Celtic two weeks ago! Possibly the best I can remember him in a Hibs jersey. We need cover for him but signing a left back isn't the main priority right now...

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by B.H.F.C View Post
    Not if we continue with a back 3 it’s not. Boyle fits that wingback role perfectly.
    Boyle has been excellent at wingback, but we lose some of him in an attacking sense having him start further back. I’d have RB as a priority as we don’t have anyone good enough to play RB in a 4 at the moment other than short term IMO. I don’t think Whittaker is good enough defensively or disciplined enough, and SDG was poor last season, again IMO, and possibly on the decline.

long overdue left back

Not since Murphy have we had a quality left back LONG OVERDUE.
    Efforts is not enough ,nor sadly hard work, skill in abundance is necessary.

Left by mutual consent!
    I almost ripped the tap aff it when I read the thread title and thought about the foaming at the mouth and keyboard bashing combo to come.

@hibs.net private member Ryan91's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 3pm View Post
    I have no objections about a better full back coming in if he plays consistently better than Lewis.

That would be very difficult for anyone though. He’s been great this season.

Poorer game last night, it happens. Just a pity with it being a derby.

Chin up Lewis! 🇳🇬
    Last night was an abberation from Lewis, who is normally Mr Reliable and almost always puts in a solid shift, but every player can have an off game. McGinn has had more than a few off games this season, including one last night, but I don't see people calling for him to be straight up replaced.

Right back is a way bigger problem. So is central midfield and center forward and left wing. Lewis isn't a worry

Left by mutual consent!
    Troll.

Quote Originally Posted by DexterStJock View Post
    Troll.
    To many taking the bait from the kiddieback

This is an interesting one for me, I used to be very much of the mindset (in the 2012-15 era, roughly) that Lewis Stevenson needed to stop being our first choice left back if Hibs wanted to make any 'progress'.

That's a sentence that's been used a lot on here. But look how much progress the club's made in the last three seasons, with him playing at left back all the while. Last night was a very, very poor performance on his part, and it's a shame, because the last 6 months he has hardly put a foot wrong and his actually contributed very well going forward - the Maclaren goal against Celtic that he assisted springs to mind.

I think we need to strengthen other areas of the park first, namely a new centre back, right back and a replacement in midfield for McGeouch, as well as hopefully signing up Maclaren and Kamberi permanently if possible.

Must be done.
    Well it took you long enough!

The predictability of these types of posts doesnt surprise me at all.

All over the field we had players playing well below par and unfortunately its Lewis who lost possession to Lafferty allowing him to poke the ball in the net.

Yes he had a bad game to his usual standards as did they all. There is no use pointing out one player to blame for it all and its always Lewis.

We are allowed to criticise him and last night we all did. But really have you not read the posts about his form this season?

Some on here who have openly admitted having a go at him previously have acknowledged the fact that he has been tremendous for the whole season.

Last night he walked off that field like a broken man. He knew what that game meant to the fans and how they would get on his back so quickly. He knew the dream of 2nd place was over too.

Calling for his head when Super John McGinn and even Darren were very poor too, but i dont see posts saying they should be replaced, do you?

This was one game out of a season that had so much hanging on the result, so it was important not to just us the supporters but to the players too. They will be devastated too remember.

Then with the manager throwing a wobbly and saying he may leave cause they dont listen to him? It was his job to put out the team last night and i think that was the wrong line up he chose.

its done and dusted now and im sure if anyone had said we'd finish 4th in our first season back, we'd have taken it gladly.

Ive enjoyed being a Hibby this season and im proud of my teams efforts too. So its up and at them for Sunday and lets show them our appreciation and Lewis!

Quote Originally Posted by madhatter View Post
    Avoiding the Stevenson debate...we 100% need a new left back next season. It is crazy that for about 2-3 years we've pretty much had 1 senior left back, an injury prone right back without cover (Gray) and no permanent left winger for about 4 years. Weakest areas in terms of injury susceptibility and cover have never really been sorted out.
    Is Whittaker not cover for both full back positions?

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    Because he's an absolutely brilliant football player.
    Comments like this, however, are exactly the sort of hyperbole that turn a minority of Hibs fans off Stevenson, through no fault of his own. He is held up as some sort of deity by our support, when the reality is, if he was as "absolutely brilliant" a football player as some folk make him out to be, he would've moved onto bigger things a long time ago, or at least been offered the chance to refuse to move onto bigger things and stay at Hibs. The fact that hasn't happened doesn't make him "crap" or "not good enough for Hibs", he's a solid, dependable full back who on his best day is a very big asset for our side, but 'absolutely brilliant'? Give us a break.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar

Must be done.
    If a full back better than Lewis became available in our budget then yes, maybe we do. However I’d be 99% certain that won’t happen.

Guaranteed the one person who will be absolutely distraught after last night is Lewis. He’s his own biggest critic and whilst he unfortunately was at fault for the first and arguably for the 2nd too, he’s had an outstanding season. Probably his best ever for Hibs.

Must be done.
    This post is so knee jerk and so Ill informed it's embarrassing.

@hibs.net private member snooky's Avatar

Must be done.
    Bring back McGivern

OP clearly trolling, not bothered coming back to at least back up his argument. He’s now got the usual ones at each other.

Simple answer Stevenson has been outstanding this season. If we find a better left back who is as or more consistent I bet he’ll not come to us and will be at a better team.

Quote Originally Posted by HFCEighteen75 View Post
    Comments like this, however, are exactly the sort of hyperbole that turn a minority of Hibs fans off Stevenson, through no fault of his own. He is held up as some sort of deity by our support, when the reality is, if he was as "absolutely brilliant" a football player as some folk make him out to be, he would've moved onto bigger things a long time ago, or at least been offered the chance to refuse to move onto bigger things and stay at Hibs. The fact that hasn't happened doesn't make him "crap" or "not good enough for Hibs", he's a solid, dependable full back who on his best day is a very big asset for our side, but 'absolutely brilliant'? Give us a break.
    I think he is absolutely brilliant.

What exactly are we looking for in a player that we don't get from Lewis?

He's strong in the tackle, quick, aggressive, tenacious, mobile, good on the ball with a great touch, does well in the air for his height, provides an attacking threat, versatile enough to play loads of positions to a high standard, consistent, resolute.........

He has been immense for months and has been a huge part of our revival as a club over the past few years.

I don't really know why he's not had an opportunity to move on. Maybe he has.

A player as good as Lewis deserves better than for people to start questioning him after his first poor game in ages.

FFS first McGregor now Stevenson , while we are at it get shot of Hanlon and Mcginn, I wish we could get rid of people like you from our support

@hibs.net private member Stuart93's Avatar
    Not stevensons biggest fan but he's turned me this season, constitancy is better than anyone else's in the squad.

However I don't understand people saying it's not really an area we need to strengthen. We have one LB at the club now with crane leaving, we definitely need to bring one in at least to provide some competition for places.

It was George craig who said 2 senior players & a youth player for every position on the park.

Quote Originally Posted by familyman View Post
    Not since Murphy have we had a quality left back LONG OVERDUE.
    Efforts is not enough ,nor sadly hard work, skill in abundance is necessary.
    Indeed.

Must be done.
    Why? He's been great for a long time now and fantastic lately, ask yourself or any other Hertz fan how difficult it is to find a decent left back. Lewis Stevenson has seen off Forrest and MacKay Stevens in recent weeks with ease and slotted into a central defensive role at Ibrox with no bother. Really good and realible defender whose consistent performances are forgotten whenever he makes a mistake, as he did a couple of times last night. Defensive mistakes are punished frequently, ask Adao.

Such an abberation he won us a penalty