hibs.net Messageboard

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kano

Quote Originally Posted by bigwheel View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Kano was an average player, at a time where our overall level was generally quite poor. He worked hard at his skills though, so fair play to him in maximising his skills and having a decent career.

He is definitely a good Hibee..His views on there other hand are largely uninteresting and usually populist slavering....
    Spot on I would say.
    Although he did actually buy me a drink once so to be fair to him he is not as tight as some people make out.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by matty_f View Post
    I'm far from an expert in these things, but would the accounts of the holding company not tell us how much was paid to the bank to settle the debt?
    I tried at the time to get the facts. It was virtually impossible from the information in the public domain.

Part of the reason was that we are talking about at least 2 companies, 3 or more loans, a share issue, and a bank that wanted everything as confidential as possible.

I made lots of assumptions, which may or may not have been reasonable. From memory, I concluded that the bank wrote off between 2m and 4m of a 10m debt.

Not going to swear to it though.

Sent from my SM-A520F using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He means Farmer. Think we pay him £41,000 per month as part of his loan repayments. Almost £500,000 per year until 2022/25, can’t remember exact date. Fans have speculated where that money actually ends up going too. He’s entitled to take it, but think he’s worth £130m or so
    F knows why because it isn't exactly difficult. STF loaned the money to Hibs to square the bank deal, in the process saving the club a fortune, the money goes back into his pocket and rightly so.

It would be nice to see Hibs attract some outside investment, but as has been said many times ( mostly by me ) our plan to pass 51% of control to the fans makes the chances of attracting the ultra rich with more money than sense virtually nil ... rich folk want the tag 'owner' as the bare minimum for pouring their cash into football's money pit and that's something you wont get at a fan controlled club.

Anybody moaning about the player budget had better start facing up to the reality of what 'fan owned' really means. From now on the way at Hibs will be to spend what we earn from gate money, transfer fees, TV money, prize money and sponsorship and it cant ( and wont ) all go on players wages or transfer fees to bring folk in, the cost of just running the club runs into millions and that's before you start paying the players.

That's why HSL in the years to come will go from being a nice wee boost to club funds to being vitally important ... its going to become imperative that they gather as many contributors as possible and more importantly, that those contributors continue to pay into HSL after the share buying phase has ended. I myself am not a member, but I do intend to join soon and when I do I wont even bother about the share side of things, its all going to be about keeping Hibs competitive.

Forget managerial meltdowns or who will or wont be sold or leave in the summer. By far the biggest issue facing this club is what's going to happen when it does become fan controlled and how we intend to finance it to a standard that will keep us in the hunt for trophies and European football .... in spite of asking these questions for over two years now I have yet to see any plans or projections from anywhere, be that the current Hibs board or HSL, as to how we intend to move forward when the time comes.

As far as I'm concerned we seem to be stumbling blindly into the unknown with nobody taking any notice of addressing the problems that fan ownership will inevitably throw up ... especially in the areas of decision making structures and how to attract investment to a fan controlled club. This is not Germany where big business and rich individuals are still happy to chuck in money without control, we do not have a fan base running into hundreds of thousands like Bundesliga clubs that we can use as a crutch when the going gets tough either. Hibs know all of this, HSL knows this .... but the sound of silence from both parties regarding the future is deafening.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail ..... its time a few folk in and around Hibs got a grip on this before its too late.

Whatever your thoughts on Kano these days, I liked him as a player. He scored winners (and other goals in games we won) v Hearts, Huns, Celtic. Not blessed with great pace but an intelligent footballer, who was great in the air for his height, and had a decent career after he left us.

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Whizz View Post
    He means Farmer. Think we pay him £41,000 per month as part of his loan repayments. Almost £500,000 per year until 2022/25, can’t remember exact date. Fans have speculated where that money actually ends up going too. He’s entitled to take it, but think he’s worth £130m or so
    I think what everyone forgets is that STF lent us this money to clear Bank debt and the repayments are INTEREST FREE. Unlike the Budgie across the city.

Wonder if Kano as put any funds into Hibs and if he offered us a loan how much he would expect in interest

I've just challenged Simon Pia on Twitter who has been spouting his nonsense the last 2 days too!! Firstly asked him where he has been for the last 2 seasons and why he only comes out with his nonsense after a negative result/week for club...

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

@hibs.net private member Bishop Hibee's Avatar
    I saw Pia’s Tweets. Numpty with no idea of the facts. It’s up to STF whether he takes the £500K each year. There is no money being siphoned from the club. The money is legitimate debt repayment.

As for Kano, a good player who made the most of his ability. Staunch Hibee but I wouldn’t call him a Hibs great, let alone a legend.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    I've just challenged Simon Pia on Twitter who has been spouting his nonsense the last 2 days too!! Firstly asked him where he has been for the last 2 seasons and why he only comes out with his nonsense after a negative result/week for club...

Arguing with Pia is pointless, he knows everything.......

He's really a total fanny.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Totally mate I probably shouldn't have bitten but he angers me with his nonsense

Quote Originally Posted by Bishop Hibee View Post
    I saw Pia’s Tweets. Numpty with no idea of the facts. It’s up to STF whether he takes the £500K each year. There is no money being siphoned from the club. The money is legitimate debt repayment.

As for Kano, a good player who made the most of his ability. Staunch Hibee but I wouldn’t call him a Hibs great, let alone a legend.

It rio's

Quote Originally Posted by Borderhibbie76 View Post
    Totally mate I probably shouldn't have bitten but he angers me with his nonsense

Any response yet?
    "There's class, there's first class and there's Hibs class" - Eddie Turnbull

Kanes seems to have a personal vendetta against Petrie. I think he's arrogant and wants himself to be the saviour of hibs.

Folk like Kane and Pia seem to revel in bad times at hibs because they can push their agenda. Egomaniacs.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post
    Kanes seems to have a personal vendetta against Petrie. I think he's arrogant and wants himself to be the saviour of hibs.

Folk like Kane and Pia seem to revel in bad times at hibs because they can push their agenda. Egomaniacs.
    Exactly, but bad times are very rare these days, and they are spouting their ***** when we are 4th in the league, how sad and low will they reach?

Who is Simon Pia ? the only time Ive heard or seen his name is when it has cropped up on here & it always appears to be negative.

Quote Originally Posted by happyhibbie View Post
    Who is Simon Pia ? the only time Ive heard or seen his name is when it has cropped up on here & it always appears to be negative.
    He's a journalist and political pundit who supports Hibs. He was a bit of a bag-carrier for the Labour Party back in the day.

He shared a flat with Gordon Brown when they were young.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    He's a journalist and political pundit who supports Hibs. He was a bit of a bag-carrier for the Labour Party back in the day.

He shared a flat with Gordon Brown when they were young.
    Ah I see, cheers mate 👍

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    I've got respect for Paul Kane as a former player, but if he's a "legend" then we need a new set of words for the actual Hibs legends.

There's nothing wrong with questioning the board but it needs to stay within the realms of realism. You can't tell someone else - someone who's already saved the club once - how they should spend their money. I wish Sir Tom would just gift its a few million as well but its his decision, the sense of entitlement annoys me. And i hate the word "investment" in the club. Let's be real, any "investment" is actually a donation, you'd be as well burning the money as expecting a return on your "investment".

Folk moan about Sir Tom getting repaid his 5 million at 500,000 a year, if he'd genuinely invested £5 million in almost anything else all those years ago he'd likely have made a hell of a lot more.

Like someone said above, 4th place this season - after the past few years disasters - is a brilliant result.

For me the goal of the board right now should be working towards 4th next year, and the year after that and the year after that, until 4th place is just expected from us as a club. And then we build on that until we expect to be third every year and challenging for second. No more of this one good season every 10 routine we've been used to.

Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    He could always decline the invitation.
    Or not slaver and peddle the same old pish if he does accept.

Quote Originally Posted by heretoday View Post
    I'd say so. He scored a couple of crackers against Hearts, most notably in the famous Tynie New Year 2-1 win when his celebration in front of the Jam Tarts led to a ticking off from the police. Later in the game, his overhead pass to Archibald led to the winner.

I think I'm right in saying he was one of the Tennents Sixes winners too. You can laugh but that was a big deal for trophyless Hibees at the time!
    Never a legend.

Quote Originally Posted by SideBurns View Post
    Whatever your thoughts on Kano these days, I liked him as a player. He scored winners (and other goals in games we won) v Hearts, Huns, Celtic. Not blessed with great pace but an intelligent footballer, who was great in the air for his height, and had a decent career after he left us.
    Fond memories of him as a player, I also met him when he came into Pat Stanton's bar in Joppa. He was visiting Pat as I believe a lot of players were. This was the Miller years, never bought me a beer though I did have a couple on the house from Pat. As an aside I was walking down a street in prestofield months later when a car stopped, it was Pat asking how I was doing as he hadn't seen me for a while! I was amazed he remembered me but so chuffed he did.

Quote Originally Posted by Baldy Foghorn View Post
    Any response yet?
    No...nothing mate

Quote Originally Posted by barcahibs View Post
    I've got respect for Paul Kane as a former player, but if he's a "legend" then we need a new set of words for the actual Hibs legends.

There's nothing wrong with questioning the board but it needs to stay within the realms of realism. You can't tell someone else - someone who's already saved the club once - how they should spend their money. I wish Sir Tom would just gift its a few million as well but its his decision, the sense of entitlement annoys me. And i hate the word "investment" in the club. Let's be real, any "investment" is actually a donation, you'd be as well burning the money as expecting a return on your "investment".

Folk moan about Sir Tom getting repaid his 5 million at 500,000 a year, if he'd genuinely invested £5 million in almost anything else all those years ago he'd likely have made a hell of a lot more.

Like someone said above, 4th place this season - after the past few years disasters - is a brilliant result.

For me the goal of the board right now should be working towards 4th next year, and the year after that and the year after that, until 4th place is just expected from us as a club. And then we build on that until we expect to be third every year and challenging for second. No more of this one good season every 10 routine we've been used to.

agree 100%
    👏👏

Theres no doubting Kanos Hibs credentials and he made the best out of limited ability. That's not a put down as guys a lot better than him of the same generation never made it and he had the dedication to have a very good career.

Don't quite understand his vendetta against the Board and hes allowed himself to be a bit of a rent a gob whenever BBC Glasgow want to peddle their anti Hibs agenda.

Pia is a typical politician , two faced backstabber and ive been in his company when he left party colleagues without a name. He is another rent a gob with an anti Board agenda, albeit a slightly more articulate one than Kano.

Coaching Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by NAE NOOKIE View Post
    F knows why because it isn't exactly difficult. STF loaned the money to Hibs to square the bank deal, in the process saving the club a fortune, the money goes back into his pocket and rightly so.

It would be nice to see Hibs attract some outside investment, but as has been said many times ( mostly by me ) our plan to pass 51% of control to the fans makes the chances of attracting the ultra rich with more money than sense virtually nil ... rich folk want the tag 'owner' as the bare minimum for pouring their cash into football's money pit and that's something you wont get at a fan controlled club.

Anybody moaning about the player budget had better start facing up to the reality of what 'fan owned' really means. From now on the way at Hibs will be to spend what we earn from gate money, transfer fees, TV money, prize money and sponsorship and it cant ( and wont ) all go on players wages or transfer fees to bring folk in, the cost of just running the club runs into millions and that's before you start paying the players.

That's why HSL in the years to come will go from being a nice wee boost to club funds to being vitally important ... its going to become imperative that they gather as many contributors as possible and more importantly, that those contributors continue to pay into HSL after the share buying phase has ended. I myself am not a member, but I do intend to join soon and when I do I wont even bother about the share side of things, its all going to be about keeping Hibs competitive.

Forget managerial meltdowns or who will or wont be sold or leave in the summer. By far the biggest issue facing this club is what's going to happen when it does become fan controlled and how we intend to finance it to a standard that will keep us in the hunt for trophies and European football .... in spite of asking these questions for over two years now I have yet to see any plans or projections from anywhere, be that the current Hibs board or HSL, as to how we intend to move forward when the time comes.

As far as I'm concerned we seem to be stumbling blindly into the unknown with nobody taking any notice of addressing the problems that fan ownership will inevitably throw up ... especially in the areas of decision making structures and how to attract investment to a fan controlled club. This is not Germany where big business and rich individuals are still happy to chuck in money without control, we do not have a fan base running into hundreds of thousands like Bundesliga clubs that we can use as a crutch when the going gets tough either. Hibs know all of this, HSL knows this .... but the sound of silence from both parties regarding the future is deafening.

Fail to prepare, prepare to fail ..... its time a few folk in and around Hibs got a grip on this before its too late.
    What an excellent post!
    People really don't realise what fan ownership will be like, it's not utopia, tight budget & the possibility of falling behind comparable clubs.

@hibs.net private member JoeT_WasTheBest's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 21.05.2016 View Post

I saw Kane on the morning of the big protest at Easter Road after we got relegated. Asked him if he was going to meet Leeann Dempster to discuss his concerns.

Kane - “Ah’m no going to meet her, why should I?”
    Me - “To try to unite the fans?”
    Kane - “If she thinks she can unite the fans more than I can, she’s I’m for a shock.”

Aye nice one ‘Kano’. She also ripped him a new one at the next AGM when he started his p*sh, and that was when we were probably at our lowest point.

Decent player, miles away from legend status, and too deep rooted views on people to be trusted for a sensible opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by green day View Post

Pia is like others who shout a lot but offer no evidence to back up his claims. Then when those claims are srutinised (the car park) and discredited he moves on to some other nonsense. Someone pointed out that STF wasnt "sucking money out, more getting a loan repaid" Pia replied "not a scooby, son". Asked again to elaboborate on that he did not reply.

The accounts guys on here have scrutinised the accounts year after year looking for evidence to support claims made by Pia and others, Cav did a detailed piece on the car park sale, but the only evidence that is established is that STF has put in significantly more than he has taken out. Still not happy they then follow the kickback agenda that somehow Hibs (STF) have stiffed the BoS, knowing that details of that particular deal (between STF and the Bank) will never be known.

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by The Falcon View Post
    Pia is like others who shout a lot but offer no evidence to back up his claims. Then when those claims are srutinised (the car park) and discredited he moves on to some other nonsense. Someone pointed out that STF wasnt "sucking money out, more getting a loan repaid" Pia replied "not a scooby, son". Asked again to elaboborate on that he did not reply.

The accounts guys on here have scrutinised the accounts year after year looking for evidence to support claims made by Pia and others, Cav did a detailed piece on the car park sale, but the only evidence that is established is that STF has put in significantly more than he has taken out. Still not happy they then follow the kickback agenda that somehow Hibs (STF) have stiffed the BoS, knowing that details of that particular deal (between STF and the Bank) will never be known.

Its a Ponzi scheme, dont you know...............

@hibs.net private member Bostonhibby's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Lago View Post
    What an excellent post!
    People really don't realise what fan ownership will be like, it's not utopia, tight budget & the possibility of falling behind comparable clubs.
    Felt the same. I'm a shareholder and HSL member from day one. I have no interest in fan ownership for all the very sensible reasons outlined, once we get a meaningful share to block predatory mercer style opportunists I'm out.

As others have said if we can find a way to properly continue a managers fund without ownership after that then that might be an option to consider.

Sent from my SM-J320FN using Tapatalk

"I did not need any persuasion to play for such a great club, the Hibs result is still one of the first I look for"

Sir Matt Busby

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Leeann with a thinly veiled dig at Mr Kane.....

https://www.edinburghnews.scotsman.c...urst-1-4745928