hibs.net Messageboard

World Snooker 2018

Anyone else enjoying this years coverage from Sheffield? At the semi stage already...not many would have bet Hawkins, Higgins, Williams and Wilson being the last 4.
    FWIW I’m fancying Hawkins but wouldn’t be unhappy if Williams or Wilson were to win it.
    Can’t fault his indefatigability but after the betting shenanigans he was embroiled in, Higgins doesn’t cut it for me.

2. Log in to remove the advert

There’s been some fabulous play this year, some niggle, and a at least one decent youngster who looks to be set to be a cracking player

Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    There’s been some fabulous play this year, some niggle, and a at least one decent youngster who looks to be set to be a cracking player
    Couldn’t help but have a giggle at the reaction to the Carter/O’Sullivan ‘stramash’
    And totally agree, best WC for a good while.

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    I’m down in Sheffield for the snooker. Was at last nights opening session of Williams v Hawkins. The first session was up there with the best I’ve seen. Two 3 ball plants! Second session wasn’t the same standard unfortunately.

At Higgins v Wilson tonight, looking forward to it as a big Higgins fan. Can’t see past him making it 5 world titles.

Bumped into Ronnie last year at my hotel. Saw him down at breakfast again this morning, although didn’t speak to him this time.

Quote Originally Posted by The Modfather View Post
    I’m down in Sheffield for the snooker. Was at last nights opening session of Williams v Hawkins. The first session was up there with the best I’ve seen. Two 3 ball plants! Second session wasn’t the same standard unfortunately.

At Higgins v Wilson tonight, looking forward to it as a big Higgins fan. Can’t see past him making it 5 world titles.

Bumped into Ronnie last year at my hotel. Saw him down at breakfast again this morning, although didn’t speak to him this time.

Is that the mercure? It’s a lovely hotel, stayed there several times with my work, it’s great, with lots around it for food etc

@hibs.net private member The Modfather's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by McD View Post
    Is that the mercure? It’s a lovely hotel, stayed there several times with my work, it’s great, with lots around it for food etc
    No, The Hilton down by the quayside. Nice hotel, and only a 10 minute walk to The Crucible. Although within that 10 minute walk have to pass through a couple of streets that appear to be junkie alley. So likely try the Mercure next year.

Tickets for next years championship on sale on Monday for anyone who’s interested. Semi final tickets are easy enough to get, but only managed to get tickets for the final once. The afternoon session of the first day, no idea how folk get the same seat for the last night of the final every year.

No, The Hilton down by the quayside. Nice hotel, and only a 10 minute walk to The Crucible. Although within that 10 minute walk have to pass through a couple of streets that appear to be junkie alley. So likely try the Mercure next year.

Tickets for next years championship on sale on Monday for anyone who’s interested. Semi final tickets are easy enough to get, but only managed to get tickets for the final once. The afternoon session of the first day, no idea how folk get the same seat for the last night of the final every year.

One (small) benefit of the mercure is it’s right across from the crucible 😊

Was a top class session last night, Higgins looks almost impregnable.
    And is there no some kind of loyalty deal/package for the snooker seating?Have a vague recall of that gadge who used to wear the Coventry shirts mentioning it in an interview.
    Definitely going to go again next year, would like to see the one table set-up if nowt else.

Williams beats Higgins 18-16 in an epic encounter up there with the legendary 1985 final.
    Life in the old boys yet and absolutely delighted for the Welshman who was a bawhair fi wrapping it a year ago. Fabulous end to a very high quality tournament.
    And Alan MacManus an inspired replacement for the jaded Willie Thorne on the BBC.
    Great stuff all round.

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Williams beats Higgins 18-16 in an epic encounter up there with the legendary 1985 final.
    Life in the old boys yet and absolutely delighted for the Welshman who was a bawhair fi wrapping it a year ago. Fabulous end to a very high quality tournament.
    And Alan MacManus an inspired replacement for the jaded Willie Thorne on the BBC.
    Great stuff all round.
    I only hope all his bawhairs were well wrapped during his press conference

Quote Originally Posted by Greentinted View Post
    Great stuff all round.

Agree about alan McManus, really enjoyed his commentary this year, and also agree it was an outstanding final.

I always love watching the World Championships, it's a great 2 weeks.

I would love to get tickets to go down to Sheffield one year and watch a day or two. Hopefully get down to watch it before it gets moved to China which is bound to happen at some point.