hibs.net Messageboard

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 30 of 40

Thread: Escape Rooms

  1. #1
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,932

    Escape Rooms

    Anyone done this? We went last night for a works night out, was very good, enjoyable and fairly difficult but we managed it. Onto Brewhemia after it, was quite impressed in there too.


  2. Log in to remove the advert

  3. #2
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle/Gateshead
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,677
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone done this? We went last night for a works night out, was very good, enjoyable and fairly difficult but we managed it. Onto Brewhemia after it, was quite impressed in there too.
    Which one did you do out of interest?

    They are huge at the moment.


  4. #3
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    19,255
    Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Anyone done this? We went last night for a works night out, was very good, enjoyable and fairly difficult but we managed it. Onto Brewhemia after it, was quite impressed in there too.
    I did the one at Holyrood and really enjoyed it.

    The people I was with, and I very much include myself in this, probably werenít the greatest minds the world has seen but we also managed it so I presume they adjust the help they give you over the tannoy/intercom thingy to make sure everybody competes it.

    I think all companies should do it as a team building exercise and if I did recruitment for a company Iíd use it as an assessment centre as think itíd give a great insight into how peopleís minds work and how they interact with people.

  5. #4
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,932
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Which one did you do out of interest?

    They are huge at the moment.
    St Colme Street
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  6. #5
    @hibs.net private member Scouse Hibby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Age
    51
    Posts
    16,932
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did the one at Holyrood and really enjoyed it.

    The people I was with, and I very much include myself in this, probably werenít the greatest minds the world has seen but we also managed it so I presume they adjust the help they give you over the tannoy/intercom thingy to make sure everybody competes it.

    I think all companies should do it as a team building exercise and if I did recruitment for a company Iíd use it as an assessment centre as think itíd give a great insight into how peopleís minds work and how they interact with people.
    We done the one at St Colme Street, yes it certainly demonstrates the different mindset and problem solving skills of your team.
    "If a player is not interfering with play or seeking to gain
    an advantage, then he should be."

  7. #6
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle/Gateshead
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,677
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did the one at Holyrood and really enjoyed it.

    The people I was with, and I very much include myself in this, probably werenít the greatest minds the world has seen but we also managed it so I presume they adjust the help they give you over the tannoy/intercom thingy to make sure everybody competes it.

    I think all companies should do it as a team building exercise and if I did recruitment for a company Iíd use it as an assessment centre as think itíd give a great insight into how peopleís minds work and how they interact with people.
    Not every team completes them. As you say it's a managed experience so more help can be given based on the team's performance, but a lot of people still fail to get out the room within the time.


  8. #7
    @hibs.net private member lord bunberry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    Location
    edinburgh
    Posts
    12,929
    Iíd never heard about them until I watched the film. I quite fancy doing it now.

    GIRLS DONT LIKE BOYS GIRLS LIKE SIMON MURRAY

  9. #8
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,152
    Did it a few months back and thought it was pretty crap to be honest

    Sorry to go against the grain! Not my cup of tea.

  10. #9
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle/Gateshead
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,677
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Did it a few months back and thought it was pretty crap to be honest

    Sorry to go against the grain! Not my cup of tea.
    I think which particular room you do really impacts how good the experience was.

  11. #10
    Quote Originally Posted by bingo70 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I did the one at Holyrood and really enjoyed it.

    The people I was with, and I very much include myself in this, probably werenít the greatest minds the world has seen but we also managed it so I presume they adjust the help they give you over the tannoy/intercom thingy to make sure everybody competes it.

    I think all companies should do it as a team building exercise and if I did recruitment for a company Iíd use it as an assessment centre as think itíd give a great insight into how peopleís minds work and how they interact with people.
    I thought personality tests were ****y enough but if a recruiter told me to go into an escape room I'd tell them to turn the job offer sideways and shove it where the sun don't shine.

  12. #11
    @hibs.net private member bingo70's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2005
    Age
    36
    Posts
    19,255
    Quote Originally Posted by IGRIGI View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I thought personality tests were ****y enough but if a recruiter told me to go into an escape room I'd tell them to turn the job offer sideways and shove it where the sun don't shine.
    Ha ha it is a bit David Brentish but I think Iíd rather do that than some daft competency based interview.

  13. #12
    Done loads of them now. Different quality definitely applies to each venue. Best one we did was escape hour just off the royal mile. Escape plan in George street was good too.

  14. #13
    @hibs.net private member calumhibee1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2005
    Posts
    6,053
    Done one down the shore over from carriers quarters. Was alright, wouldnít rush back.

  15. #14
    @hibs.net private member McD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    38
    Posts
    2,037
    Done one of the 2 (same place) on great junction street, was quite fun 😊

  16. #15
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,152
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I think which particular room you do really impacts how good the experience was.
    I was in the 'small room' just because of the way the teams were drawn out. Essentially there were 6 of us running around doing different things and I just found it all a bit gimmicky. It was a little bit chaotic for my liking and there was little opportunity to really figure things out properly.

    Not really a fan of the 'forced' team building stuff for the most part. A meal and out for a few drinks wins every time for me!

  17. #16
    @hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Age
    27
    Posts
    8,780
    Done a couple of them and think they're pretty good. My other half loves them though, whenever she's away on a holiday she inevitably finds an escape room to do.

    There's a fair few in Edinburgh now.
    Mon the Hibs.

  18. #17
    @hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Steve-O View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I was in the 'small room' just because of the way the teams were drawn out. Essentially there were 6 of us running around doing different things and I just found it all a bit gimmicky. It was a little bit chaotic for my liking and there was little opportunity to really figure things out properly.

    Not really a fan of the 'forced' team building stuff for the most part. A meal and out for a few drinks wins every time for me!
    I run several escape room sites, the team building part is more a by product of the type of experience. Very few escape room locations do what I would define as proper team building, the experience is more team bonding as there is generally little to no analysis of the performance post game.

    We've got a location in Dunedin www.escapedunedin.com, if you happen to be in the area(it's not a million miles from Wellington i guess) the games at Dunedin Prison are well worth playing. Definitely a more immersive experience in a fantastic location.

    It won't be for everyone though and as the market continues to become more mainstream then we are going to encounter people who don't enjoy it.

  19. #18
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,565
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    I'm up to 16 now but I've only just started doing the Scottish ones. Most of the ones I've done are with a friend of mine down in London. He's a bit of a seasoned pro at this point - he's done 80 all over the world.

    We did 2 of the Escape Reality games in Merchant Square in Glasgow at the weekend - they have 5 rooms in total, and we ended up setting the record time for one of them!

    The quality of the room can definitely impact enjoyment, no doubt about it. The first "half-room" I ever did was at the Namco arcade on South Bank - it was very badly set up, and even the guys who "oversaw" it didn't understand how some of it worked. I've done some brilliant rooms down in London, many of them as a team of 2, and they can be really challenging.

    In addition to room escapes, if any of you ever go down to London, I can't recommend the treasure hunts around the city - there are a few companies that run these, but inthehiddencity trails are spectacular, and get you walking around London looking for clues etc - businesses are always in on the act too, so you stop in several pubs for drinks etc on your way. Great fun for groups of friends.

  20. #19
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,565
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I run several escape room sites, the team building part is more a by product of the type of experience. Very few escape room locations do what I would define as proper team building, the experience is more team bonding as there is generally little to no analysis of the performance post game.

    We've got a location in Dunedin www.escapedunedin.com, if you happen to be in the area(it's not a million miles from Wellington i guess) the games at Dunedin Prison are well worth playing. Definitely a more immersive experience in a fantastic location.

    It won't be for everyone though and as the market continues to become more mainstream then we are going to encounter people who don't enjoy it.
    If you've got any Scottish sites and ever require a tester, I'm more than happy to help out (as I know most companies run these before they open).

    Alternatively, let me know where your sites around Scotland are, and I'll be sure to try and get around them

  21. #20
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle/Gateshead
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,677
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you've got any Scottish sites and ever require a tester, I'm more than happy to help out (as I know most companies run these before they open).

    Alternatively, let me know where your sites around Scotland are, and I'll be sure to try and get around them
    We have a couple of sites in London too; one at Shepherdís Bush near the Westfield and the other at Shadwell. On a similar note, make sure you try the Crystal Maze if you havenít already done so!

    Weíve got 2 (soon to be 3) in Edinburgh (St Colme Street, Haymarket, and Morrison Street), Glasgow (Wellington Street), Dundee, and Livingston.

    Canít say anything on the tester front however Iím sure FFK will respond!

  22. #21
    @hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,291
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    I done this one as a team building day with the work

    http://exitplanedinburgh.co.uk/svengalis-lair/

    I really enjoyed it, I'm no really someone who enjoys a puzzle but the team I had with me were really good and that made it more enjoyable. We set the best time that week.
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

  23. #22
    Coaching Staff Sylar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Lanark/Palo Alto
    Age
    32
    Posts
    14,565
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: sjmcg1304
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have a couple of sites in London too; one at Shepherdís Bush near the Westfield and the other at Shadwell. On a similar note, make sure you try the Crystal Maze if you havenít already done so!

    Weíve got 2 (soon to be 3) in Edinburgh (St Colme Street, Haymarket, and Morrison Street), Glasgow (Wellington Street), Dundee, and Livingston.

    Canít say anything on the tester front however Iím sure FFK will respond!
    Just had a look at your London sites, and they definitely look good. Will check to see if my friend's done them or not, and if not, will look to pop along and try them in July when I'm next down.

    I'm very glad for folks like you that are continuing to expand the number of rooms, as it's an excellent past-time!

  24. #23
    Quote Originally Posted by SRHibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    We have a couple of sites in London too; one at Shepherdís Bush near the Westfield and the other at Shadwell. On a similar note, make sure you try the Crystal Maze if you havenít already done so!

    Weíve got 2 (soon to be 3) in Edinburgh (St Colme Street, Haymarket, and Morrison Street), Glasgow (Wellington Street), Dundee, and Livingston.

    Canít say anything on the tester front however Iím sure FFK will respond!
    Weve done one of the rooms in livingston and keen to do the other one with the cells. Got a voucher for a different edinburgh one to use first. I tend to pick them up when theres offers on Groupon or itison and also pick up food vouchers at the same time. Great thing to do with older teens.

  25. #24
    @hibs.net private member Gatecrasher's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Livingston
    Age
    33
    Posts
    15,291
    Blog Entries
    1
    Gamer IDs

    PSN ID: Euphoria1875
    Whats the one in Livingston called?
    Dictionary is the only place that success comes before work. Hard work is the price we must pay for success. I think you can accomplish anything if you're willing to pay the price. -Vince Lombardi

  26. #25
    First Team Breakthrough mvteng's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Location
    Edinburgh
    Posts
    105
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Whats the one in Livingston called?
    Its just called Escape Livingston.

    We did the Espionage Room and enjoyed it. Not the best, not the worst.

    Best ones i've been to were padlox in Leith and exit plan on Queen Street.

    Tried escape hour off the high street, but didnt really like it.

    ps. as we were leaving Escape Livingston, the guy told us to use discount code Stu49 to try the other rooms. No idea if it still works, but worth a try.

  27. #26
    @hibs.net private member SRHibs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Newcastle/Gateshead
    Age
    30
    Posts
    4,677
    Gamer IDs

    Gamertag: Limit Break PSN ID: cyniUK
    Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its just called Escape Livingston.

    We did the Espionage Room and enjoyed it. Not the best, not the worst.

    Best ones i've been to were padlox in Leith and exit plan on Queen Street.

    Tried escape hour off the high street, but didnt really like it.

    ps. as we were leaving Escape Livingston, the guy told us to use discount code Stu49 to try the other rooms. No idea if it still works, but worth a try.
    Thatís fair. The pricing structure has changed to reflect the demand for rooms in each area so the Livingston rooms are a wee bit cheaper now than the Ďbig cityí sites. We still have codes in effect though: The student code is now STU20 - works site-wide; as does the NHS20 code. If you were going to try anymore of our games Iíd highly recommend the new rooms in New Town, or waiting for the ones on Morrison Street (situated below Noughts & Coffees).

    https://www.escapeteambuilding.co.uk/

    The Magic Emporium looks superb, and The Experiment is a favourite for me of our rooms.

    Being honest though, havenít got a bad thing to say about any of the other companiesí rooms as Iíve enjoyed them all - even the one I failed! Can You Escapeís rooms near the Royal Mile are really good fun.
    Last edited by SRHibs; 08-05-2018 at 02:44 PM.

  28. #27
    @hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by Gatecrasher View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I done this one as a team building day with the work

    http://exitplanedinburgh.co.uk/svengalis-lair/

    I really enjoyed it, I'm no really someone who enjoys a puzzle but the team I had with me were really good and that made it more enjoyable. We set the best time that week.
    The standard in Edinburgh is very high compared to a lot of other major cities, in addition to our own sites I really like Exit Plan which has been mentioned a couple of times and The Secret Lab at Lockedin at Summerhall is a must play.

    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Just had a look at your London sites, and they definitely look good. Will check to see if my friend's done them or not, and if not, will look to pop along and try them in July when I'm next down.

    I'm very glad for folks like you that are continuing to expand the number of rooms, as it's an excellent past-time!
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylar View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    If you've got any Scottish sites and ever require a tester, I'm more than happy to help out (as I know most companies run these before they open).

    Alternatively, let me know where your sites around Scotland are, and I'll be sure to try and get around them
    Nottingham has some amazing rooms as does Derby if you are looking to do it as part of a day out and possibly play multiple games in one day.

    It's good fun creating new rooms, I think the Magic Emporium which will be in Morrison Street will be our best room to date. Although The Experiment and Houdini's Workshop in St Colme Street are both new rooms and I really like them.

    They are definitely a step up compared to our Haymarket branch, which is next on the list for a revamp.

    If we are looking for groups to test I'll drop a post in here :) - likely be the last week of May.

    Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. S View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Weve done one of the rooms in livingston and keen to do the other one with the cells. Got a voucher for a different edinburgh one to use first. I tend to pick them up when theres offers on Groupon or itison and also pick up food vouchers at the same time. Great thing to do with older teens.
    There will be combi tickets with Pizza Express available there shortly which should work out at a decent price for a bit of entertainment and some food. The market in Livi is very different to EH or Glas so we are trying to make it a bit more family orientated. We are trying to stay away from Groupon and ITison, they were great for helping us set up but not a sustainable business model unfortunately.

    Quote Originally Posted by mvteng View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Its just called Escape Livingston.

    We did the Espionage Room and enjoyed it. Not the best, not the worst.

    Best ones i've been to were padlox in Leith and exit plan on Queen Street.

    Tried escape hour off the high street, but didnt really like it.

    ps. as we were leaving Escape Livingston, the guy told us to use discount code Stu49 to try the other rooms. No idea if it still works, but worth a try.
    Yeah Espionage is more like an introductory room for a new market, some cool stuff but not overly difficult. That's why we put it on Groupon at the start to try and encourage people to play and then hopefully come back and play the others. The Prison Breakout room there and the Witchcraft and Wizardry rooms are a bit of a step up in difficulty and we have invested in the WW rooms quite heavily in comparison as the initial rooms were successful. I like the Livi site because the property costs are much lower than EH we can use far bigger spaces and be a bit more adventurous. The Prison is cool, got a bit of a Shawshank redemption vibe to it and the Witchcraft and Wizardry has a couple of bits I've never seen in an escape room before.

  29. #28
    @hibs.net private member FitbaFolkKen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Bonnyrigg
    Age
    38
    Posts
    1,293
    Quote Originally Posted by lord bunberry View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Iíd never heard about them until I watched the film. I quite fancy doing it now.
    There are not many in the UK that use live actors to provide a scary experience. However the two that would be most similar are

    Buried Alive in Peterborough is set in the Vaults beneath Peterborough Museum, one of the most haunted places in the UK apparently. I can't vouch for seeing anything but wasn't much fun being down there late at night on your own, imagination runs wild! Being the person in the coffin is ....entertaining

    Or the Butcher in Nottingham at Escapologic.

    Both definitely have a scare factor to them

  30. #29
    @hibs.net private member Steve-O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Location
    Wellington, New Zealand
    Age
    36
    Posts
    20,152
    Quote Originally Posted by FitbaFolkKen View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    I run several escape room sites, the team building part is more a by product of the type of experience. Very few escape room locations do what I would define as proper team building, the experience is more team bonding as there is generally little to no analysis of the performance post game.

    We've got a location in Dunedin www.escapedunedin.com, if you happen to be in the area(it's not a million miles from Wellington i guess) the games at Dunedin Prison are well worth playing. Definitely a more immersive experience in a fantastic location.

    It won't be for everyone though and as the market continues to become more mainstream then we are going to encounter people who don't enjoy it.
    Doubt I'll be down there anytime soon, but it does sound better being in an old prison - the one I was at was just downstairs in an office block and just a bit meh.

  31. #30
    [/QUOTE Yeah Espionage is more like an introductory room for a new market, some cool stuff but not overly difficult. That's why we put it on Groupon at the start to try and encourage people to play and then hopefully come back and play the others. The Prison Breakout room there and the Witchcraft and Wizardry rooms are a bit of a step up in difficulty and we have invested in the WW rooms quite heavily in comparison as the initial rooms were successful. I like the Livi site because the property costs are much lower than EH we can use far bigger spaces and be a bit more adventurous. The Prison is cool, got a bit of a Shawshank redemption vibe to it and the Witchcraft and Wizardry has a couple of bits I've never seen in an escape room before.[/QUOTE]


    We did the witchcraft one. It was a bit more difficult than some of the others but our teens loved it. Lots of brainpower needed. I just organised and carried things we found

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  
hibs.net ©2012 All Rights Reserved