hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    This. If Liverpool were to win it it'd make a mockery out the competition. Sure they finished 4th in their league last season. It's reasons like that i don't pay much attention to the "Champions" League anymore.
    Not sure it would make a mockery out of the competition but I do agree with your main point which is the Champions League should be for the champions of each country to compete in. Otherwise they should just go back to calling it the European Cup.

Thankfully we won't have to worry about any mockery as Real Madrid won the Spanish title last season.

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member Scouse Hibee's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sir David Gray View Post
    Not sure it would make a mockery out of the competition but I do agree with your main point which is the Champions League should be for the champions of each country to compete in. Otherwise they should just go back to calling it the European Cup.

Thankfully we won't have to worry about any mockery as Real Madrid won the Spanish title last season.
    And still you cling on to feint hope. This will be number six pal, try not to get too upset.

Quote Originally Posted by Scouse Hibby View Post
    And still you cling on to feint hope. This will be number six pal, try not to get too upset.
    The banter between you and SDG has been more entertaining than the CL

I'm sure Ronaldo and co can't wait to get stuck in about that leaky defence.

It could be a high scoring game.

@hibs.net private member
    It won't make a mockery of the competition at all. Many folk on here have already said this has been the most entertaining CL competition for years. It's a cup competition which ultimately doesn't always result in tbe "best" team winning it pretty much like every other cup competition ever played. Like it or not the CL format is here to stay. Every team that has qualified to play in it regardless of where they finished in their respective leagues has the right to win it. Liverpool have enriched the competition not made a mockery of it.

Have to agree with Scouser, especially the last sentence. Not everyone's favoured format but it is what it is and will stay for some time. If Hibs finish second and qualified for this (which would have been the case not long ago) I would be more than a bit chuffed). Every single competition throughout football has changed and expanded over the years, including the World Cup, so if people don't like the dilution there's not much left to watch.
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 03-05-2018 at 09:43 AM.

@hibs.net private member
    The banter between you and SDG has been more entertaining than the CL
    Is SDG an Evertonian?

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    I'm sure Ronaldo and co can't wait to get stuck in about that leaky defence.

It could be a high scoring game.
    Yes it will be and you would fancy Real giving their big game mentality, incredible amount of luck and helpful refereeing they seem to get in this competition though Liverpool definitely have a chance given their goal threat. Would be great for a Scotsman to win the champions league again.

Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Yes it will be and you would fancy Real giving their big game mentality, incredible amount of luck and helpful refereeing they seem to get in this competition though Liverpool definitely have a chance given their goal threat. Would be great for a Scotsman to win the champions league again.
    Im in this boat. I'm normally all for the English clubs being knocked out but seeing as there's a Scotsman in their side i wouldn't be too disappointed if they were to win it. First since Paul Lambert or did Darren Fletcher win it?

@hibs.net private member
    Im in this boat. I'm normally all for the English clubs being knocked out but seeing as there's a Scotsman in their side i wouldn't be too disappointed if they were to win it. First since Paul Lambert or did Darren Fletcher win it?

We all take that as read.

Fletcher won it in 07/08.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhunter View Post
    Is SDG an Evertonian?
    No he's a Manure Utd lover.

@hibs.net private member
    No he's a Manure Utd lover.

Gloryhunter

edit: sorry, he couldn't be a gloryhunter or he would have chosen Liverpool.
    Last edited by CockneyRebel; 03-05-2018 at 05:14 PM.

Is SDG an Evertonian?
    I would hope that he/she was a hibby

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Salah will play a blinder then sign for Madrid in the summer.

Fletcher won it in 07/08.
    Did he?

@hibs.net private member Hermit Crab's Avatar
    Anyone fancy Arsenal to go through tonight?

Gloryhunter

edit: sorry, he couldn't be a gloryhunter or he would have chosen Liverpool.
    Remind me again when Liverpool were last crowned champions of England? Was the bus parade shown on colour TV?

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Did he?
    Yep he was an unused substitute in the final.

Quote Originally Posted by BFG View Post
    I would hope that he/she was a hibby
    I am, I also enjoy a little banter with our resident Liverpool fans.

I actually dislike Liverpool more than I like Manchester Utd to be honest. I like to see them win but I don't really care if they lose.

Only one team for me.

It'll be a 2-2 draw.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Dashing Bob S View Post
    Interesting that both those clubs were miles behind the respective winners of the Leagues in their countries. It maybe should be called the Also Rans Continental League Cup rather than the Champions League.
    It's something that's rankled with me since they gave the tournament this misnomer. If it's a league for champions then it should be exactly that, not for also-rans. Liverpool, as you say, finished fourth last season, 17 points behind Chelsea (just checked that!). It should be renamed to reflect the fact that you don't have to be champions to take part.

Another major gripe of mine is the daft Europa League parachute that teams who exit early from the 'Champions' League get. When you're out of Europe you're out IMHO.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    This. If Liverpool were to win it it'd make a mockery out the competition. Sure they finished 4th in their league last season. It's reasons like that i don't pay much attention to the "Champions" League anymore.
    You're worrying too much about the word "Champions" in its name.

It's a league in its own right. Liverpool qualified to play in it.

Just like Arsenal qualified for the Europa League and like we hopefully will.

They could have called the CL, the European League, because that's what it really is.
    Last edited by Hibbyradge; 03-05-2018 at 05:49 PM.

@hibs.net private member Hibbyradge's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post
    It's something that's rankled with me since they gave the tournament this misnomer. If it's a league for champions then it should be exactly that, not for also-rans. Liverpool, as you say, finished fourth last season, 17 points behind Chelsea (just checked that!). It should be renamed to reflect the fact that you don't have to be champions to take part.

Another major gripe of mine is the daft Europa League parachute that teams who exit early from the 'Champions' League get. When you're out of Europe you're out IMHO.
    I agree with your first point, but why does it matter what they call it? We know how it works.

What are your thoughts about promotion playoffs?
    Buy nothing online unless you check for free cashback here first. I've already earned £2,389.68!

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G B Young View Post

The Millionaires' League would be more factually accurate.

Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    The Millionaires' League would be more factually accurate.
    I don't really care what they call it, I have seen Liverpool win it in both guises.

Left by mutual consent!
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    I agree with your first point, but why does it matter what they call it? We know how it works.

What are your thoughts about promotion playoffs?
    The name has just always irritated me purely because it's clearly not a league for champions only.

Promotion play-offs? Personally I don't favour them. I don't think teams which finish third or even as low as fourth should have a crack at promotion at the potential expense of a team who finished second. However, I also used to feel the old two-up, two-down system was a bit brutal so my preferred option would be for the second-bottom and second-top teams only to have a play-off. Granted, the play-offs in England are seen as a big deal but the bottom line is it comes down to making money.

@hibs.net private member blackpoolhibs's Avatar
    Did that young Arsenal fan have false ears on????

I really hope he did.

@hibs.net private member GlesgaeHibby's Avatar
    Horrific to see Koscielny in so much pain there, feel for him as he would be looking to put in a big performance tonight and now looks like he'll be out of contention for the world cup.

@hibs.net private member
    [QUOTE=Sir David Gray;5390553] Remind me again when Liverpool were last crowned champions of England? Was the bus parade shown on colour TV?

Liverpool have been champions of England and Europe enough times to never be forgotten. Not my club at all (Eagle in exile and now a happy Hibby) but I watched them over the years and been mightily impressed. You can't hide class. You can ride shirt tails.

1-0
    Arsenal powder puff, zero cutting edge. AM pick them off with a proper midfielder and striker.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hibbyradge View Post
    You're worrying too much about the word "Champions" in its name.

It's a league in its own right. Liverpool qualified to play in it.

Just like Arsenal qualified for the Europa League and like we hopefully will.

They could have called the CL, the European League, because that's what it really is.
    ....... and the winners of it are ‘The Champions.’