hibs.net Messageboard

The end of the Programme? Implications

See this article
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/43955431
    Some EFL clubs want to stop issuing programs for every match. I think Ross County have stopped issuing programs. Guess many Scottish clubs are issuing programs at a loss.
    Anyone have any insight as to whether Hibs make a loss or profit on this activity? Have the player cards helped make them more attractive?

I know there are many collectors on here. What are your thoughts on the value of your collection? If programs went electronic tomorrow would the value of your collection be higher/lower in 10 or 20 years time?
    For many (inc me) it’s sentimental value & I see my collection almost like a family heirloom but I’d still prefer values to stay high..well, apart from the ones I need to fill my collection!!

Old coins, stamps, books etc seem to increase value over time (I think!) no reason why programs not the same?

2. Log in to remove the advert

Tricky one D.
    I would think if Hibs stopped producing programmes then the values of existing issues would have to rise over time. I don't collect post 1960 programmes any more but the collector in me may want to try to obtain every home issue from 1960 onwards.
    As you know the vast majority are currently easy to obtain but there will always be new collectors coming on the scene, especially if they have a goal where they know there are no more programmes after a certain date.
    The drawback for me is the sheer size of current issues.

First Team Breakthrough EL Green's Avatar
    This is a tricky one. If clubs stop issuing programmes then you would think in 10/20 years time your collection would be worth more. However, if clubs stop producing programmes that might reduce the number of people that start collecting programmes in the first place which in turn would reduce demand, and therefore price, for the older programmes?
    No idea whether Hibs make money out of programme sales but like most things Hibernian they must have had a boost since a certain day in May 2016!
    Personally I hope Hibs continue to issue programmes, although as Hibeg says the modern programme takes up a lot more space than the 60s/70s ones, which is a nightmare for a completist like me!

@hibs.net private member danhibees1875's Avatar
    Rightly or wrongly, I imagine we'll eventually adopt e-programmes. I think Livi currently have a similar set-up.

I'd like to see an official comprehensive Hibs app being released (downloading would get you a loyalty point, obviously).

It could cover a wide range of things:

Fixtures, Results, League standings
    Ticket purchase and storage (would require QR reading machines/upgrades to the current barcode ones)
    Player interviews/training footage/general PR videos
    Match highlights
    Happy Hibee ticket purchase/results history
    E-programme
    In-game updates (for those not in attendance)
    Fan votes (POTY, Fan reps, kit designs?)
    etc

This maybe wasn't the right thread/I've went off on a tangent - but I would imagine we'll eventually see programmes going electronic. Either for a nominal fee (£1) or free.
    Mon the Hibs.

Left by mutual consent! Iggy Pope's Avatar
    Slightly off topic, but what have you other collectors been storing your homes in the last couple of seasons? They're doing my nut in.

First Team Breakthrough EL Green's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Iggy Pope View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Slightly off topic, but what have you other collectors been storing your homes in the last couple of seasons? They're doing my nut in.
    Got the last couple of seasons in a plastic storage container bought from IKEA, reckon I will get about 5/6 seasons in each container. Takes up quite a lot of space but I could stack the containers 3 or 4 high so should see me through to the demise of the programme!

Bump