hibs.net Messageboard

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345
    @hibs.net private member California-Hibs's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: BringTheCairds
    Quote Originally Posted by hibsboy69 View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Almost getting relegated (having to beat Dunfermline on the final day)

Humped 5-1 in a Cup Final

Watching dreadful football week in week out with Fenlon as manager

I personally don't have too many "wonderful" memories of GOC at Hibs (other than the goal vs Hearts at ER in the last minute)

I apologise for expressing my opinion, won't do it again !
    Granted, but that was all second spell O'Connor. I was talking about breaking into the team/first spell O'Connor, with many victories over Rangers, Hearts, and Celtic, finishing 3rd, in Europe etc. He was part of all that and it was more so your dismissal of that..

2. Log in to remove the advert

Don’t believe Celtic we’re potentially interested after him training there but he chose to come here.

If they wanted him, they would have got him.

https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2585178/garry-oconnor-blood-russia-lokomotiv-moscow-transfusion-hibs/

Either he's a slaver or he's potentially getting some people into big trouble...
    Last edited by 1van Sprou7e; 04-05-2018 at 09:42 AM.

Left by mutual consent! calumhibee1's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by 1van Sprou7e View Post
    https://www.thescottishsun.co.uk/sport/football/2585178/garry-oconnor-blood-russia-lokomotiv-moscow-transfusion-hibs/
    You can almost tell by how defensive they’ve got over it that it’s true.

@hibs.net private member overdrive's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by California-Hibs View Post
    Granted, but that was all second spell O'Connor. I was talking about breaking into the team/first spell O'Connor, with many victories over Rangers, Hearts, and Celtic, finishing 3rd, in Europe etc. He was part of all that and it was more so your dismissal of that..
    I’d probably split his Hibs career into 4 eras.

1. Breaking through under McLeish / Sauzee / early Williamson - good spell
    2. The bulk of the Williamson era - average
    3. Mowbray - brilliant
    4. Second spell - average

He wasn’t well liked by the supporters towards the end of Williamson’s tenure. I remember some sort of fans forum shortly after Mowbray arrived where someone asked what he thought of O’Connor (with an implication that he should be punted). Mowbray then said he thought he was a brilliant player and wanted to build the team around him which prompted s******s from some of the support.

I don’t think he’d have played in Russia or the EPL had it not been for Mowbray’s development of him.

Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    I’d probably split his Hibs career into 4 eras.

1. Breaking through under McLeish / Sauzee / early Williamson - good spell
    2. The bulk of the Williamson era - average
    3. Mowbray - brilliant
    4. Second spell - average

He wasn’t well liked by the supporters towards the end of Williamson’s tenure. I remember some sort of fans forum shortly after Mowbray arrived where someone asked what he thought of O’Connor (with an implication that he should be punted). Mowbray then said he thought he was a brilliant player and wanted to build the team around him which prompted s******s from some of the support.

I don’t think he’d have played in Russia or the EPL had it not been for Mowbray’s development of him.
    Under Williamson we fell into the obvious trap of looking at GOC as being a big man that would want balls lumped up to him all day. He was ok at dealing with that, nothing special.

He was a different player under Mowbray because we played a lot more football. O'Connor was a cracking player, really good, and it is easy to forget how good he actually was when he played in a decent team that played to his strengths. He had his good partnership with Riordan (the pair of them really complemented each other well under Mowbray), but he was a very important part of the team that had a lot of good, young players.

I always thought Brown was the best of the "golden generation" but O'Connor was a very important player for us. I'd choose him as my man of the match most weeks for his graft and the way he linked our attacking play up, whereas the award tended to go to the likes of Riordan who would win matches for us with a couple of smart finishes.

His work rate used to be pretty phenomenal, and it was the drop off in that that meant he didn't look quite the same player when he came back.

He was immense under Mowbray.

A 3-0 home win v Killie sticks out to me. Riordan got the hat trick but O'Connor was MOTM.