hibs.net Messageboard

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by cowiehibs View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    due to work and family commitments it's rare I get to games theses days.Is Forever and ever still sung?still chant dirty orange *******s at the Huns ?

pales into insignificance compared to what rangers sing but still unacceptable.
    No it isn't .... I cant remember the last time I heard that sung at ER, probably the 80s

2. Log in to remove the advert

Testimonial Due
    due to work and family commitments it's rare I get to games theses days.Is Forever and ever still sung?still chant dirty orange *******s at the Huns ?

No it isn’t ever sang any more. And I don’t think it’s up to the fans reps to call this out. It should be Petrie and Dempster to defend us with the threat of legal action on this one

@hibs.net private member JimBHibees's Avatar
    Personally thought it embarrassing we were calling Killie fans Huns yesterday. Seemed odd.

I've heard forever and ever sung once by about three people in the last twenty five years.

Professional thread starter Diclonius's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Deansy View Post
    'Scottish football has an utterly dismal record on sectarianism"

Yeah, much easier (and safer) than saying Celtic & Rangers ! So because we 'didn't respond to a request by the Herald for a comment' we suddenly have a sectarian problem ?? Over to you, LD !
    "Scottish football's" sectarian problem would be nonexistent if two specific football clubs were also nonexistent.

It isn't a Scotland problem; it's a Celtic and Rangers problem. It will continue to be a problem until people get over that and stop generalising.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    Claiming Hearts and Hibs are the wee cousins of Celtic and Rangers is in itself sectarian.

You have similar roots so you're the same. **** off.
    Exactly.

@hibs.net private member AgentDaleCooper's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by JimBHibees View Post
    Personally thought it embarrassing we were calling Killie fans Huns yesterday. Seemed odd.
    I think it's playing on the notion that they are 'huns without a busfare'...though perhaps a bit ironic since they made it through to edinburgh...

Nil by mouth are absolutely determined to drag Hibs into the sectarian debate, despite the only ammunition they have being the 'Hun' word which only they and Sevco seem to see as sectarian ... its not !!!

As other posters have said its time for Hibs to respond to this latest slur on the club. Nobody is pretending that we haven't had the odd isolated incident away from Easter Road by fans travelling to games, but that does not equate to a sectarian problem and absolutely pales into insignificance when measured against the real culprits in Scottish football and society in general.

Its not good enough that Nil by mouth are feeding this nonsense to the press and the press are reporting stuff as fact with no apparent attempt to actually check how things are at Easter Road. Its not good enough that individual Hibs fans are being left to defend the club and us as a support by commenting at the bottom of these newspaper articles or contacting Nil by Mouth themselves.

Many years ago Hibs made it clear that sectarianism wasn't welcome at Easter Road and the fans have responded magnificently, so much so that even when we play the poster boys for sectarianism we refuse to resort to a response in kind to their bile ..... far from being part of the problem we have set an example of what can be achieved, are we absolutely perfect? .. no, but we are damned close to it and as fans we deserve better than silence from Hibs when yet again Nil by Mouth point to us as part of the sectarian problem.

Time for us to make a statement for once.
    Last edited by NAE NOOKIE; 29-04-2018 at 10:14 PM.

Sunday Herald supports the SNP(nothing wrong with that)so this might well be a political attempt to tar football generally with a problem which really only shows to a large extent in the support of two clubs .

Can someone copy and paste the article?

@hibs.net private member green day's Avatar
    Maybe it was because almost all of their songs are variants of Huns songs?

I'm surprised they didn't drag the Dundee teams into it too.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Sunday Herald supports the SNP(nothing wrong with that)so this might well be a political attempt to tar football generally with a problem which really only shows to a large extent in the support of two clubs .
    Sorry mate, I don't get your point here ..... your suggestion seems to be that the SNP hiding behind the Herald are attempting to show sectarianism as a football wide problem rather than just a west coast one ... what would they have to gain politically by that? If they said it publicly themselves then OK it could be seen as a sop to the unionist Sevco legions, but if its the Herald saying it and there is no actual support of the article by the SNP I cant see what they have gained.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by Keekaboo View Post
    Today's Herald contains yet another lazy journalism article in which they have grouped Hibs alongside Rankers, Celtc and Hearts in an article about Nil-By-Mouth's complaint on the failure to tackle sectarianism in Scottish Football.

They also said that it's about time government funding, such as the money we receive for the Oriam Centre (????) should be taken away until each club does something about the problem.

It's unclear from the article whether Nil-By-Mouth have also accused Hibs by name but the reporter has definitely named us as one of the four clubs in question

These people are total idiots and should be taken to task for slurring the good name of our Club and Support.

ARTICLE

Perhaps one of our Fans Representatives could this matter up with the Club as a matter of urgency.
    Where does it say in the article anything about Hibs fans being sectarian?

As I read it, Nil by Mouth are proposing the Scottish Government subvert monies currently paid to the SFA and SPFL as a way to force compliance.

It seems that they (the newspaper) asked four of the bigger Scottish clubs about Nil by Mouth's proposal and:

'Both Old Firm clubs, as well as Heart of Midlothian and Hibernian, failed to respond to Sunday Herald requests for comment about Nil By Mouth's demand.'

@hibs.net private member

The answer is NO - this song was ditched long ago by a self policing Hibs support that wants no part in sectarianism. And this is why NilByMouth are bang out of order to paint Hibs support as somehow equivalent to the OF and (to a lesser extent) Hearts who have consistenly refused and/or bottled out of confronting the sectarian morons in their support and achieving a change (literally) of tune.

The misrepresentation is probably based on the use of the word "huns" to describe The Rangers and or any support witnessed trying to emulate the huns' poisonous sectarian antics. I would like to know at what time and under who's auspices the word "hun" was alleged to have become a term used to describe someone's religion. IN Scotland it has always been used to describe the fans of The Rangers and their forebears (no pun intended) Glasgow Rangers in reference to their uncivilised and generally barbaric nature along with their tendency to swarm horde like across the landscape like some noxious human fungus (witness Manchester 2008). The fact they don't particularly like being called huns is neither here nor there. A great many Hibs fans (no idea of the exact proportion but it's certainly a large one) were brought up Church of Scotland and NO-ONE cares and NO-ONE calls them Huns.

Hibs supporters don't generally like being referred to as peg selling hoboes or spoon burners but we don't go crying wolf about sectarianism as a result. Time for NilByMouth to own up and admit they are wrong - or that they have moved the goalposts and are not simply against bigotry but also against any poor wee didums getting their feelings hurt about ANYTHING.

Quote Originally Posted by oneone73 View Post
    This was the Sunday Herald, mind.
    The Sunday Herald has become a one issue rag obsessed with the independence referendum in the last couple of years.

A shame because it used to be a very good read.

@hibs.net private member barcahibs's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Frazerbob View Post
    Nil By Mouth have previously stated that the word ‘Hun’ is sectarian.
    That's the problem with the idea of making it illegal to say bad words or offend someone. If sevco fans find that term offensive, then as the group being 'abused' by people using it they have the same right to have it banned as any other easily offended group.

Anyway, as others have said we should be vigourously defending ourselves against these accusations - while at the same time being careful what we wish for.

Nil by Mouth yet again proving themselves to be complete fuds.
    The word “Hun” is not sectarian.
    Tricolours are in and of themselves not sectarian (whether they belong at easter road or football in general is another debate).

However, condemning us as being religious bigots because of our Irish Catholic roots is very much sectarian and orange order-esque! **** off, hopefully be some legal action against these incompetent morons

Agree there’s absolutely no need for us to be mentioned in the article, but other than saying we refused to comment.. do they actually say anything about us? Genuine question as I only skimmed through (took me long enough to find the article scrolling above all the old firm fans arguing about catholic schools).

@hibs.net private member Viva_Palmeiras's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WeeRussell View Post
    Agree there’s absolutely no need for us to be mentioned in the article, but other than saying we refused to comment.. do they actually say anything about us? Genuine question as I only skimmed through (took me long enough to find the article scrolling above all the old firm fans arguing about catholic schools).
    My take is it’s all a bit renouous they’ve left it for others to “join the dots” on our involvement with sectarianism on one hand whilst only asking us for comment as we use the government subsidies facilit along with Hearts.
    "We know the people who have invested so far are simple fans." Vladimir Romanov - Scotsman 10th December 2012
    "Romanov was like a breath of fresh air - laced with cyanide." Me.

Testimonial Due
    Quote Originally Posted by AgentDaleCooper View Post
    I think it's playing on the notion that they are 'huns without a busfare'...though perhaps a bit ironic since they made it through to edinburgh...
    Personally didnt join in, but i assumed it was because they were singing hello, hello?

@hibs.net private member Stonewall's Avatar
    i think that it is better to ignore the provocation and attempts to tar us with the same brush as Rantic.

if we want to respond it would be better to ask for specific examples and incidents and address those in detail rather than just issuing blanket denials to vague slurs and agenda driven accusations.

I'm not clear what good it would do other than keep the accusations in the public eye and waste the time of staff at the club.

Quote Originally Posted by ancient hibee View Post
    Absolute pish to try and bring SNP into being anti football

Nil By Mouth are part of the problem when it comes to tackling sectarianism.

Rather than be honest about where the problem really lies they play along with the lie that this is a widespread problem throughout Scottish football. It's not. A majority of Hibs fans, Hearts fans, Aberdeen fans, Dundee fans, St Mirren fans and so on and so forth are not likely to indulge in behaviour that you will see elsewhere.

Finally, and this will go down like a lead balloon, if we are talking about sectarianism exclusively then it's Rangers who are the worst of the lot. Celtic fans might sing a lot of stuff that belongs nowhere near a Scottish football stadium but I struggle to think of a song they sing that really qualifies as sectarian in the way 'No Pope of Rome', the revised lyrics to Follow Follow that most of them sing or the Famine Song do.

The biggest issue is this is a societal problem and not a football one, football is just the vehicle for many to express their prejudices. As long as the right to religious freedom is intepreted in Scotland not as the right to attend the place of worship of your choice but rather to march about the streets as part of a fraternal organisation singing about murder and war then the problem continues.

The weedgie centric media of all varieties have an active agenda of trying to paint sectarianism as a Scotland wide problem to deflect attention from their own OF backyard. Its partly due to commercial self interest and partly due to cowardice as they can tell the OF knuckle draggers that they are not targeting their clubs but "society".

Nil by mouth are part of that agenda, a weedgie based organisation, who are professional fence sitters and who have played straight into the huns narrative.

As much as I would like the club to complain, when the aforementioned agendas pursued continually by everyone from the "quality" press to BBC Scotland we'd be issuing statements with Sevco like regularity. I think a dignified silence is best.

@hibs.net private member Frazerbob's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthsideHarp_Bhoy View Post
    Personally didnt join in, but i assumed it was because they were singing hello, hello?
    Dozens of teams, particularly down south, sing a version of Hello Hello. Even we sang it up to the mid 80’s. Only Sevco (and some Hearts/Airdire) fans sing a bigoted version. It’s a football song. Only up here is it (and Hail Hail) considered in some way associated to a particular religion.
    Last edited by Frazerbob; 30-04-2018 at 07:21 AM.

Strange timing. Took an English mate to the game and was sitting up the back of the east. Cringed at hearing 2 people shout up the ra and one guy sing a different version of a song that ended in IRA.

Hadn't heard anything like that at ER since I first went. Just 3 individuals.

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by RagingReality View Post
    "Scottish football's" sectarian problem would be nonexistent if two specific football clubs were also nonexistent.

It isn't a Scotland problem; it's a Celtic and Rangers problem. It will continue to be a problem until people get over that and stop generalising.
    This. Growing up and going to school in Edinburgh, in the process attending hundreds of Hibs games, I never experienced sectarianism until the OF came to town.

Completely embarrassing that us (and even Hearts) are lumped in with those two teams.

How will we combat the issue if we can't be honest about the perpetrators?

Think it was because all of their songs are the same as sung by The Rangers albeit different words. I agree though found it a bit cringe

Quote Originally Posted by .KingDomofFife. View Post
    Think it was because all of their songs are the same as sung by The Rangers albeit different words. I agree though found it a bit cringe
    It's so cringeworthy.

These guys are the ones who have chosen not to go down the easy route so many from Ayrshire do and follow Rangers. Instead they go along and support their local team. I take my hat off to those who follow the smaller teams in the west.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years