hibs.net Messageboard

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ... 9171819
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    This quote is hidden because you are ignoring this member. Show Quote
    Can anyone recommend a good cardio exercise when you have an injured ankle and foot? I’ve gone over on my ankle four times since the start of the year, the worst being outside ER where I hurt my foot and it’s the foot that’s causing most issues still. Waking and running are mega painful. Cycling hurts too. Swimming which might be the go to in these situations is out due to an ear condition.

I can basically only do weights and kettlebells.
    Aqua jogging is brilliant. I used to do it when I was boxing at uni and it's a proper cardio workout but doesn't put anything like the same stress on your legs and feet as pounding the pavements does.

You can pick up a buoyancy belt that you need from somewhere like Decathlon for about £20. Biggest difficulty is probably finding an area in a pool that gives you space to do it.
    PM Awards General Poster of The Year 2015, 2016, 2017. Probably robbed in other years

2. Log in to remove the advert

@hibs.net private member
    Quote Originally Posted by overdrive View Post
    Can anyone recommend a good cardio exercise when you have an injured ankle and foot? I’ve gone over on my ankle four times since the start of the year, the worst being outside ER where I hurt my foot and it’s the foot that’s causing most issues still. Waking and running are mega painful. Cycling hurts too. Swimming which might be the go to in these situations is out due to an ear condition.

I can basically only do weights and kettlebells.
    Can do cardio with weights too. Decrease the weight of the dumbell right down and do lots of fast reps, gets the heart pumping. Some gyms have arm bikes and ropes for cardio or use the rowing machine with feet on the ground. You could also do seated cardio workouts designed for people in wheelchairs

https://youtu.be/SBcvIynb2Fg?si=GF8KJjcnVOLLu23j

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Yeah agree. I always remember that at his peak, Lennox Lewis was morbidly obese going by BMI.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I was the same while doing my natural bodybuilding days, said I was obese but most of it was muscle. I was onstage at 5% body fat and 11st 7lbs, it said for my 5ft 8in size I should've been 10st 7lbs.

@hibs.net private member nonshinyfinish's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by J-C View Post
    I was the same while doing my natural bodybuilding days, said I was obese but most of it was muscle. I was onstage at 5% body fat and 11st 7lbs, it said for my 5ft 8in size I should've been 10st 7lbs.
    11st 7lb is 73kg and 5'8" is 1.73m, giving a BMI of 24.4 (within the recommended range). The obese range is 30+.

As above it wouldn't have been a useful metric for you as your body composition wasn't typical, but it also wasn't saying you were obese.
    Last edited by nonshinyfinish; 09-03-2024 at 09:07 AM.

@hibs.net private member Northernhibee's Avatar
    Had our first normal takeaway of the year last night (Dundee has a really decent healthy takeaway I’ve had a couple of times) - big pizza with plenty of toppings. Surprised how terrible I feel today - queasy, tired, generally sluggish.

It’s defo not a case of having eaten something dodgy, just think it’s how my body’s not used to all that grease and salt in one sitting. Would have thought nothing of it before.

Genuinely taken me aback a little.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

@hibs.net private member CropleyWasGod's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Northernhibee View Post
    Had our first normal takeaway of the year last night (Dundee has a really decent healthy takeaway I’ve had a couple of times) - big pizza with plenty of toppings. Surprised how terrible I feel today - queasy, tired, generally sluggish.

It’s defo not a case of having eaten something dodgy, just think it’s how my body’s not used to all that grease and salt in one sitting. Would have thought nothing of it before.

Genuinely taken me aback a little.
    That's a good sign, no? It's a marker as to how far you've come, and a wee reminder as to where you don't want to go back to.

Quote Originally Posted by CropleyWasGod View Post
    That's a good sign, no? It's a marker as to how far you've come, and a wee reminder as to where you don't want to go back to.
    Yeah, very good sign. Just a real surprise.

Had an early morning jog pencilled in for today but moved it to tomorrow.

Do you think your security can keep you in purity, you will not shake us off above or below. Scottish friction, Scottish fiction

Quote Originally Posted by nonshinyfinish View Post
    11st 7lb is 73kg and 5'8" is 1.73m, giving a BMI of 24.4 (within the recommended range). The obese range is 30+.

As above it wouldn't have been a useful metric for you as your body composition wasn't typical, but it also wasn't saying you were obese.
    Sorry, meant to add when I was off season and not competing, I weighed 12st 10lbs before i did the show diet, it was that weight I should've added, anyway my point is muscle out weighs fat and the BMI doesn't really work for athletes.

@hibs.net private member Jones28's Avatar
    I've fallen down a slight wormhole on Youtube the last couple of days around food and specifically Ultra Processed Foods, take aways and over consumption.

This documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrCEpkc2INo

The couple in it are so incredibly ignorant about the food they're eating. They were consuming 30,000 EXTRA calories EVERY WEEK in takeways and spending £15,000 a year whilst living at their parents house to save for a house deposit.

It's mind boggling to me. I'm health conscious, but I'm staggered at just how ignorant people can be.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    I've fallen down a slight wormhole on Youtube the last couple of days around food and specifically Ultra Processed Foods, take aways and over consumption.

This documentary https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PrCEpkc2INo

The couple in it are so incredibly ignorant about the food they're eating. They were consuming 30,000 EXTRA calories EVERY WEEK in takeways and spending £15,000 a year whilst living at their parents house to save for a house deposit.

It's mind boggling to me. I'm health conscious, but I'm staggered at just how ignorant people can be.
    It's actually a very easy trap to fall into and I'm sure plenty of folk are the same.

I probably know more than ever about what is required to be healthy... yet end up on these incredible slides where all sorts of combination of the worst possible health choices creep in.

Stress, busyness, convenience, time pressures, financial pressures, mental health issues - the reasons and justifications are almost endless and cycles of behaviour / habits can be enormously difficult to break.

Respect to all on this thread who are making great strides at present. I'll catch up with you when I get the chance...

Quote Originally Posted by Smartie View Post
    It's actually a very easy trap to fall into and I'm sure plenty of folk are the same.

I probably know more than ever about what is required to be healthy... yet end up on these incredible slides where all sorts of combination of the worst possible health choices creep in.

Stress, busyness, convenience, time pressures, financial pressures, mental health issues - the reasons and justifications are almost endless and cycles of behaviour / habits can be enormously difficult to break.

Respect to all on this thread who are making great strides at present. I'll catch up with you when I get the chance...
    It can also be so easy to get suckered into making unhealthy choices.

I’m upping the intensity of what I do whilst maintaining a calorie deficit, and am keen to keep a steady and decent level of both protein and fibre in my diet.

Amongst the health supplement section of a local shop, I seen bags of protein tortilla chips. Picked the bag up, looked at the nutritional info and near 180 calories and just 3.6g of protein in the bag.

It takes reading every packet of stuff you pick up to fully understand what you’re eating, and if you’re in a rush and needing something to go it’s easy to start that spiral.

My post was a bit insensitive having read it back. My apologies.

Still, this particular case I'm certain would shock most people whos actual super market shop was not particularly unhealthy.
    "...when Hibs won the Scottish Cup final and that celebration, Sunshine on Leith? I don’t think there’s a better football celebration ever in the game.”

Sir Alex Ferguson

Quote Originally Posted by Jones28 View Post
    My post was a bit insensitive having read it back. My apologies.

Still, this particular case I'm certain would shock most people whos actual super market shop was not particularly unhealthy.
    No apology necessary - it was a fair point.

I guess most of us who frequent this thread will be familiar with the feeling though - we know exactly what we need to do but go through spells where we do the exact opposite.

Your points re the marketing of particular foods is perfectly valid - take hidden sugars for example, sugars are everywhere and very often in places we'd least expect it. It's easy to consume bad stuff without necessarily realising it, that's before you get onto consuming the stuff we know is bad.

No apology necessary - it was a fair point.

I guess most of us who frequent this thread will be familiar with the feeling though - we know exactly what we need to do but go through spells where we do the exact opposite.

Your points re the marketing of particular foods is perfectly valid - take hidden sugars for example, sugars are everywhere and very often in places we'd least expect it. It's easy to consume bad stuff without necessarily realising it, that's before you get onto consuming the stuff we know is bad.
    Yepp absolutely.

If I was offering advice to anyone looking to lose weight it would be to be mega wary of products that market themselves as high protein, some of them are a complete nonsense.

That and to become familiar with reading food labels.

Sir Alex Ferguson

I’ve dropped 3kg since Christmas which I’m quite pleased with. Managing to train 5 or 6 days a week now with a new job that is fully based at home and with an hours lunch break it allows me to walk, run or even get in a quick gym session on my breaks. 2 or 3 days in the week I’m doubling up by doing a lunch time run and gym at night.

Sir Alex Ferguson

Under 100kg for the first time I can remember. Feeling good for it.

Set myself a challenge - before I turn 40 in under eighteen months time I’m going to compete in a 5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon, and ultra marathon. Been in touch with Hanlon Stevenson Foundation and I’ll do it to raise funds for them as they do so much work to make football accessible for all young people in the community and I know the benefit of feeling that sport is accessible to you, irrelevant of circumstance.

Everything up to the half marathon booked, just need the booking for the 2025 Manchester marathon to open, and if I complete that then I would qualify to take part in the Glasgow to Edinburgh 51 mile ultra marathon.

@hibs.net private member CallumLaidlaw's Avatar
    Gamer IDs

PSN ID: Cal_hibby

Set myself a challenge - before I turn 40 in under eighteen months time I’m going to compete in a 5k, 10k, half marathon, marathon, and ultra marathon. Been in touch with Hanlon Stevenson Foundation and I’ll do it to raise funds for them as they do so much work to make football accessible for all young people in the community and I know the benefit of feeling that sport is accessible to you, irrelevant of circumstance.

Everything up to the half marathon booked, just need the booking for the 2025 Manchester marathon to open, and if I complete that then I would qualify to take part in the Glasgow to Edinburgh 51 mile ultra marathon.
    Great motivation, fair play

As of Monday I was 2st 11lbs lighter than 1st January. Would like another 21lbs off by the start of the euros but appreciate it will be tougher the lighter I am.

Also completed my first 90 minutes on Sunday for the football team spoken about earlier in the thread. Was my 3rd game. Previously managed about 60-65 minutes each game. Still feeling it now if I’m honest

Quote Originally Posted by CallumLaidlaw View Post
    Great motivation, fair play

As of Monday I was 2st 11lbs lighter than 1st January. Would like another 21lbs off by the start of the euros but appreciate it will be tougher the lighter I am.

Also completed my first 90 minutes on Sunday for the football team spoken about earlier in the thread. Was my 3rd game. Previously managed about 60-65 minutes each game. Still feeling it now if I’m honest

Superb progress, well done 👏🏻

Would always say to focus on how you feel more than the weight - that’s a good bonus but if you’re running around for longer and clothes feel looser then that’s the best indicator of them all .

2lbs off this week at slimming world.

2.5st down in total now.

Another 1.5st to go.

@hibs.net private member lapsedhibee's Avatar

Good luck. Awesome ambitiousness!

Quote Originally Posted by Onceinawhile View Post
    2lbs off this week at slimming world.

2.5st down in total now.

Another 1.5st to go.
    That’s absolutely superb work, you must be feeling good.

I toiled badly at 7’s again tonight.

I realise that at 46 there’s a bit of expectation management that needs to go on but there currently aren’t any really good reasons why I can’t do a bit better than this.

So it all starts for me again tomorrow - eating better and drastically upping the exercise.

No real barriers to it right now so I just need to make it happen.

Come up with an absolutely banging recipe for a high protein, low calorie coronation chicken “burger” (sandwich if you’re feeling less generous).

Around 530-550 calories and 70g of protein.

For two people, you’ll need:

Two chicken breasts
    One lemon
    Mango chutney
    Either lighter than light mayo or low fat cream cheese
    About a tablespoon of curry powder
    Shredded iceberg lettuce
    One beef tomato
    Low fat cheddar cheese
    Pickled red onion (optional)

First of all, in advance slice your chicken breast in two like you’re cutting open a burger bun. Add to a bowl with the curry powder and mix until well coated. Add the juice of a lemon and leave in the fridge, covered, for a few hours

Heat up a pan nice and hot.

Get two nice big slices of your tomato, salt both sides and leave to one side. You will get more flavour this way.

Get a veg peeler and make a few very thin slices of cheese with it, just enough for two thin layers. Maybe about eight peels of it.

Add some one calorie spray to your pan, add your chicken and cook until you get some colour on one side. Turn and repeat until cooked.

Remove your chicken from the pan to rest, split your buns and spray the inside with one calorie spray. Toast your buns in the pan.

Once this is done, spread a very thin layer of cream cheese or mayo on the bottom, then add the pickled red onion, lettuce, sliced tomato, one half of the chicken breast, a quarter of the cheese, the remaining tomato, and another quarter of the cheese. Spread the top half with a thin layer of the mango chutney and put it on top.

Repeat with the other.

Tasted absolutely banging, and very filling. Had the sweetness and creamy feeling of coronation chicken without the ton of mayo that usually comes with it.